MS MS - Zeb Hughes, 21, & Gunner Palmer, 16, Warren Co/MS River, 3 Dec 2020

Search for missing hunters switches back to Mississippi River - The Vicksburg Post

Not good, IMO.

Authorities Tuesday suspended ground searches and concentrated their efforts on the Mississippi River as the search for two duck hunters entered its sixth day.

“There’s nothing new to report,” said Warren County Fire Coordinator Jerry Briggs. “We’ve been on the water all day but found nothing.” He said authorities have been using dogs specially trained to search for people in the water for several days.

He said the search was suspended at dark and will resume Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Search for missing hunters continues above and below surface of Mississippi River - Magnolia State Live

Pace said the days of searching have led to the discovery of the pair’s boat and personal items. The boat, Pace said, was found upside-down along the riverbank near the Warren/Claiborne county line near Middle Ground Island. It has been impounded by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks.

Middle Ground Island
Mississippi 39150
Google Maps

Thanks for this. I just saw that info yesterday, but it was shared on facebook by a family friend and I could not find the official source for it. Still within Mississippi jurisdiction.

Search for two hunters continues into a sixth day on the Mississippi

This is the first article I have found stating that they had a dog with them. I had seen it reported on SM before. A family member shared this article tonight. I hope they have answers soon.

I had seen it mentioned on the first day they were missing but had not seen it mentioned since. I'm still praying they will be found safe but as the days wear on, the hope dwindles. After reading the dog's behavior, it concerns me that IF he is their dog, they have most likely been separated and that is not giving me a good feeling. At all. :(

I had seen it mentioned on the first day they were missing but had not seen it mentioned since. I'm still praying they will be found safe but as the days wear on, the hope dwindles. After reading the dog's behavior, it concerns me that IF he is their dog, they have most likely been separated and that is not giving me a good feeling. At all. :(
Searchers have spotted a black Labrador retriever in the woods near the river’s shoreline. The grandfather of one of the two hunters is attempting to make contact with the dog and determine if it is, in fact, their hunting companion. However, the dog runs back toward the river before he can get close enough to identify it.

Search for two hunters continues into a sixth day on the Mississippi

This is the first article I have found stating that they had a dog with them. I had seen it reported on SM before. A family member shared this article tonight. I hope they have answers soon.
Ground search suspended after week-long effort for missing hunters

Here’s an additional article from today; based on the info published here, the dog hasn’t been found. Adds to the confusion..

After a week of looking, the ground search for two missing duck hunters has been suspended.

The hunters, 16-year-old Gunner Palmer and 21-year-old Zeb Hughes, both of Copiah County, went missing while scouting duck hunting locations near Palmira Island Thursday afternoon. A dog traveling with the hunters has also not been found.

Pace has stated that they will not give up the search until they are able to provide the families with some answers as to what happened to Palmer and Hughes.

Searchers have spotted a black Labrador retriever in the woods near the river’s shoreline. The grandfather of one of the two hunters is attempting to make contact with the dog and determine if it is, in fact, their hunting companion. However, the dog runs back toward the river before he can get close enough to identify it.

United Cajun Navy

UPDATE
The boys are still missing.
The search will continue but focus in the river.
The land has been thoroughly searched.
The info on the dog belonging to one of the boys is speculation and unconfirmed.
The dog has not been found.

United Cajun Navy

1 hr ago
Search continues in the water.
Again land has been thoroughly searched.
Please be patient with getting updates; there hasn’t been many to report beyond dispelling rumors.
As far as a dog being found, it’s been checked into that and currently have nothing additional to report on that at this time.

Awe man, this doesn’t sound good. These poor families are living one of my worst fears. My boys are avid duck hunters and often hunt the Red River. It terrifies me every single time because it is so unpredictable.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved- I can’t imagine how scared everyone must be!
I hope that maybe somehow, they actually drifted further than the search and are just waiting to be found, tired and hungry. MOO

Officials continue to search for two missing hunters on MS River

The search continues for two missing young men who disappeared while hunting on the Mississippi River December 3.

“We're continuing our search on the water," said Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks Col. Steve Adcock. "That's all we can do at this time. We've probably had 20 officers involved. I know there's been hundreds of volunteers."

Adcock said the search now includes miles of the river and is expected be expanded.

"From Letourneau down to where the boat was is eight or nine miles," Adcock said. "We're searching down to Port Gibson. We'll expand that search further south."

Officials continue to search for two missing hunters on MS River

To Note:
During the search on Friday, officials found the capsized aluminum boat the two had been using during the duck-hunting trip. It was located south of the landing and appeared to have struck rocks according to Adcock.

Adcock said other items believed to belong to the hunters were also found, such as a boot and personal floatation devices. Adcock disputed claims on social media that some of items were found on land away from the water, saying the items were recovered at the water's edge.

“Everything that's been found was in the debris field," Adcock said.

“This is a dangerous river. It's very unforgiving," Pace said. "It makes rescue and recovery difficult, but we will continue until we can provide answers for this family."

‘We'll continue to do what we can as long as we can.'

Awe man, this doesn’t sound good. These poor families are living one of my worst fears. My boys are avid duck hunters and often hunt the Red River. It terrifies me every single time because it is so unpredictable.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved- I can’t imagine how scared everyone must be!
I hope that maybe somehow, they actually drifted further than the search and are just waiting to be found, tired and hungry. MOO
The Mississippi River is extremely strong down south. My son lives within walking distance of it in New Orleans. It has a strong, strong current.

Search for two hunters on the Mississippi takes its toll

Pace was hopeful that the young men had developed some mechanical issue with their boat, something that happens several times a year on area waterways.

The two deputies, along with MDWFP agents, searched until just after 2 a.m. Friday, when it became unsafe for them to be on the river in a small vessel.

Just after 7 a.m. Friday, Pace activated a full-blown search effort. He remained hopeful but said he had a bad feeling about this one.

The Cajun Navy arrived to offer their assistance.

It turns out that Med Palmer, Gunner Palmer’s father, runs a wildlife management area for the MDWFP and is a beloved figure who has educated countless people about the wonders of nature. He has taken hundreds of young people hunting and fishing.

Friday afternoon, the decision was made to activate the Mid Mississippi Strike Team which is made up of law enforcement and firefighters from several counties.

As this week has progressed, ground search efforts have been discontinued, while the quest to find the young men continues on the river. The main channel is near 100 feet deep in numerous places in the search area.

Throughout this week, valiant efforts to find the young men have emerged. Obviously, Sheriff Martin Pace has been on hand almost continuously as have Beauchamp and Chief Deputy Billy Joe Heggins.

By late Sunday, 911 coordinator Shane Garrard had been up almost 70 hours straight before having to get some rest.

Then there was the obvious pain in the eyes of Assistant Emergency Management Director Tracy Porter who lost her nephew to an industrial accident on the river a couple of years ago. Although she is dutifully going about her business, the situation has to strike close to home.

As a second week of searching begins, everyone is hopeful they can provide closure for the two families and to the hunter’s friends. These are courageous efforts of people named and unnamed to do whatever they need to do to find Palmer and Hughes.

As Sheriff Pace and others have said throughout this ordeal, if you believe in prayer, please include the families and the searchers in your thoughts and prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back