Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" & "Mostly Harmless", Jul 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, on the off chance that he didn't write the code and the notebooks belong to someone else, wouldn't it have been far more likely that this person would have come forward, given that the notebooks have been posted on Screeps forums, Github, Reddit etc?
RSBM
I know it’s been mentioned several times, and I’m not criticizing this comment at all, but I think it’s important to remember that there’s a large population of people who have no clue what these sites are. Much less visit them often. I’m only familiar with one of the three, although I rarely use it. The others I wouldn’t have known about if not for Denim’s case.

I agree with those who have said that Denim’s photo and information have just not reached the right group of people. As often as it’s been shared throughout the web and other places, for the most part only small targeted groups of people have seen it. Hikers, sleuthers, coders, etc.

Again, I’m only quoting this comment as an example, not to criticize the comment itself. I’ve still got a ton of faith in Othram.

RSBM
I know it’s been mentioned several times, and I’m not criticizing this comment at all, but I think it’s important to remember that there’s a large population of people who have no clue what these sites are. Much less visit them often. I’m only familiar with one of the three, although I rarely use it. The others I wouldn’t have known about if not for Denim’s case.

I agree with those who have said that Denim’s photo and information have just not reached the right group of people. As often as it’s been shared throughout the web and other places, for the most part only small targeted groups of people have seen it. Hikers, sleuthers, coders, etc.

Again, I’m only quoting this comment as an example, not to criticize the comment itself. I’ve still got a ton of faith in Othram.

English is not my first language so maybe I didn't phrase my point well – sorry. It was suggested the notebooks didn't belong to MH, and that they may have been written by another developer. If that were the case, wouldn't it be likely that this person would have come across their own code or have been traced somehow? Not saying everyone is on GitHub and Screeps forums, but the person who wrote that code very likely would have been. It just seems super unlikely to me that MH didn't write those notebooks himself.

Totally agree that this case hasn't reached a wide enough audience yet + eager to hear news from othram.

Ok, brief rundown...

Trees are being built and they have a few good leads.

He has a substantial amount of Cajun ancestry.

He has quite a few distant (not sure how distant) relatives from Louisiana.

He may not necessarily be from Louisiana, they’re not able to determine that yet.

If you have Cajun ancestry, you’re encouraged to opt in your DNA. Cajun ancestry can apparently be a little trickier to work with. (I won’t pretend to know how to explain this :D)

They’re not sure if his teeth have been tested or any type of isotope testing is in the works.

It won’t be a quick solve, but they’re working aggressively.

Another update can be expected around the beginning of the year.

English is not my first language so maybe I didn't phrase my point well – sorry. It was suggested the notebooks didn't belong to MH, and that they may have been written by another developer. If that were the case, wouldn't it be likely that this person would have come across their own code or have been traced somehow? Not saying everyone is on GitHub and Screeps forums, but the person who wrote that code very likely would have been. It just seems super unlikely to me that MH didn't write those notebooks himself.

Totally agree that this case hasn't reached a wide enough audience yet + eager to hear news from othram.
As soon as I sent my comment I realized that what you meant! Someone in to coding would likely know about these sites! I’d also imagine they’d be missing it had they lost it. :)

Ok, brief rundown...

Trees are being built and they have a few good leads.

He has a substantial amount of Cajun ancestry.

He has quite a few distant (not sure how distant) relatives from Louisiana.

He may not necessarily be from Louisiana, they’re not able to determine that yet.

If you have Cajun ancestry, you’re encouraged to opt in your DNA. Cajun ancestry can apparently be a little trickier to work with. (I won’t pretend to know how to explain this :D)

They’re not sure if his teeth have been tested or any type of isotope testing is in the works.

It won’t be a quick solve, but they’re working aggressively.

Another update can be expected around the beginning of the year.

Did you read the post the other day in that group about the guy who claimed he believes he met him when MH was looking to purchase a vehicle? He contacted Collier County Sheriffs dept and gave him info. I hope all of this falls into place soon. I've been racking my brains out wondering if he could be a child of anyone I've known in the past.

Did you read the post the other day in that group about the guy who claimed he believes he met him when MH was looking to purchase a vehicle? He contacted Collier County Sheriffs dept and gave him info. I hope all of this falls into place soon. I've been racking my brains out wondering if he could be a child of anyone I've known in the past.
I did read the post! I try not to go much further than that, because the comments can get weird sometimes. I’m glad the info was called in though! Even if it’s nothing, it’s better to know for sure!

I joined the Facebook group a couple days ago to watch Othram’s Facebook Live event and will tag onto MadMcGoo’s update. There are over 6,000 members on that particular site (there are other MH sites as well). I missed today’s event, unfortunately, but read through the comments afterwards. Members are ON FIRE after hearing Othram share today that MH has Cajun ancestry! The Louisiana folks are digging out yearbooks, contacting all the local news stations, getting the word out to friends. I’ll share some interesting discussion points that I saw in the comments that we may want to ponder ourselves. They were discussing local “recognitions” from earlier that had been disregarded that maybe should not have been. One person had mentioned remembering him from a homeless camp. This person had quite a lot of specifics but was for some reason disregarded. Another local person had potentially remembered him from a very poor apartment complex in early 2000’s that has since been torn down. Another person thought he was the same person who had watched over their family’s campgrounds for a few months. All described him as a super nice guy. So MAYBE one reason we know very little about MH is because he lived - by choice or necessity - on the fringe. This comment summary is my opinion only, of course, and I know we aren’t to discuss rumors - but I thought you’d like to hear the level of new excitement and increased communication that is out there. MH, you have a lot of people in several online communities who care and want to help identify you! And a million thanks to Othram, a true rock star!

I joined the Facebook group a couple days ago to watch Othram’s Facebook Live event and will tag onto MadMcGoo’s update. There are over 6,000 members on that particular site (there are other MH sites as well). I missed today’s event, unfortunately, but read through the comments afterwards. Members are ON FIRE after hearing Othram share today that MH has Cajun ancestry! The Louisiana folks are digging out yearbooks, contacting all the local news stations, getting the word out to friends. I’ll share some interesting discussion points that I saw in the comments that we may want to ponder ourselves. They were discussing local “recognitions” from earlier that had been disregarded that maybe should not have been. One person had mentioned remembering him from a homeless camp. This person had quite a lot of specifics but was for some reason disregarded. Another local person had potentially remembered him from a very poor apartment complex in early 2000’s that has since been torn down. Another person thought he was the same person who had watched over their family’s campgrounds for a few months. All described him as a super nice guy. So MAYBE one reason we know very little about MH is because he lived - by choice or necessity - on the fringe. This comment summary is my opinion only, of course, and I know we aren’t to discuss rumors - but I thought you’d like to hear the level of new excitement and increased communication that is out there. MH, you have a lot of people in several online communities who care and want to help identify you! And a million thanks to Othram, a true rock star!

Called the “Leighway/leeway” something like that?

I read that before in a Reddit post.

Over a year ago, I saw two different Reddit posts made in the Baton Rouge area, and two different people in two totally different threads claimed he looked a lot like a firefighter or had worked at the fire department in Baton Rouge, and both said he resigned around 7-8 years ago.

They both gave a name for him, but both gave different names.

;
Called the “Leighway/leeway” something like that?

I read that before in a Reddit post.

Over a year ago, I saw two different Reddit posts made in the Baton Rouge area, and two different people in two totally different threads claimed he looked a lot like a firefighter or had worked at the fire department in Baton Rouge, and both said he resigned around 7-8 years ago.

They both gave a name for him, but both gave different names.
Yes, I think Leighway was the apartment complex that was torn down.

I agree with you how interesting it was to see the variation in names that people remembered for him (if they remembered a name at all). This fits with the three names he used on the AT.

This is like a 10,000 piece puzzle, and we’ve just gotten a corner piece from Othram along with a few edge pieces here and there.

Thank you for deleting but I actually did report my post and ask that it be deleted with a reason and an apology. Again. Sorry

Attachments

• 15CC042E-7235-4E00-A48C-080886C3ACB4.jpeg
    15CC042E-7235-4E00-A48C-080886C3ACB4.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 153
RSBM
So MAYBE one reason we know very little about MH is because he lived - by choice or necessity - on the fringe.

Been thinking the same thing. These leads, as well as the more recent one that came from the FB group, all seem so random; someone here and there who met him briefly once many years ago. It baffles me that no one has come forward who actually knew him, like a friend, friend of a friend, former coworker... Either that means his case hasn't reached the right people yet, or he lived a life that was solely made up of those fleeting contacts.

Been thinking the same thing. These leads, as well as the more recent one that came from the FB group, all seem so random; someone here and there who met him briefly once many years ago. It baffles me that no one has come forward who actually knew him, like a friend, friend of a friend, former coworker... Either that means his case hasn't reached the right people yet, or he lived a life that was solely made up of those fleeting contacts.

Probably both. For gregarious people with reasonably close family and lots of friends, it's hard to understand how someone could pass through life so unnoticed. But it's not as unusual as you think. I don't have family or any real friends, and if I died far from home and without identification, no one would know who I was, and more to the point, nobody would miss me or be looking for me.

I think MH most likely will be identified if and when the case "goes national", where it's more likely to catch the notice of the random strangers who interacted with him and can put together a timeline that will lead to his origins.

Probably both. For gregarious people with reasonably close family and lots of friends, it's hard to understand how someone could pass through life so unnoticed. But it's not as unusual as you think. I don't have family or any real friends, and if I died far from home and without identification, no one would know who I was, and more to the point, nobody would miss me or be looking for me.

I think MH most likely will be identified if and when the case "goes national", where it's more likely to catch the notice of the random strangers who interacted with him and can put together a timeline that will lead to his origins.
It would be amazing to see a Dateline/Forensic Files/Unsolved Mysteries episode on him!!

Hi folks - been following this passively but just joined the site so I could post something. I suspect this was discovered long ago and already discussed and investigated - but just in case -- I found some kind of online game community called Guild Wars where there is a group called Mostly Harmless and one of the players is/was from Louisiana. That player has a profile name of Cajun EvE. I don't have the time to follow it up but on the chance that it wasn't already seen, wanted to let you know.
GuildWars.com: Community: Guild of the Week: Mostly Harmless

Hi folks - been following this passively but just joined the site so I could post something. I suspect this was discovered long ago and already discussed and investigated - but just in case -- I found some kind of online game community called Guild Wars where there is a group called Mostly Harmless and one of the players is/was from Louisiana. That player has a profile name of Cajun EvE. I don't have the time to follow it up but on the chance that it wasn't already seen, wanted to let you know.
That's cool.
MH also used slashes, parentheses and capital first letters like this member did. Couldn't find where all MH's notes are posted, but here's an example...

Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 22.57.01.png

Just to add some context, Guild Wars is an older MMORPG, now superseded by a successor, Guild Wars 2, which is itself getting rather old.
The term "EvE" is potentially interesting as it could possibly be a reference to another MMORPG, EVE Online, which was sometimes referred to as "EvE" in its early days. EVE Online itself has a number of player groups associated with the term "Mostly Harmless" (itself a Douglas Adams reference, so possibly not important).

Someone already posted on the EVE Reddit sub asking if anyone was familiar with MH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita