Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Or "forensic officer seen sleeping in campervan of missing person", might explain why the authorities fobbed her off :rolleyes:
Yes, I think you are spot on. Before I even reached the part that revealed it was a forensic officer in the van, I had a feeling that it would be LE working late. Of course, the editor knew the van was occupied legitimately and that there was no mystery, but if he went with the truth from the start, there was no story to fill up his paper columns.

I didn't realize that screen shots of google street views are no longer allowed.

In this discussion, one of the moderators posted a screen shot of google street view at the beginning of each thread over a period of a couple of years.

Deceased/Not Found - Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Ontario Mum wrote that it is not against the rules, meaning it is allowed. She also said to post a link so others could view it.

Personally, I dismiss most of what is in the press and on social media pages. I focus on facts and these can become easily distorted & clouded on these mediums. I start with the basics. A person is missing and is unaccounted for. This is the crux of the matter – and is an uncontested fact. There is no evidence of the person being in the area that they were last sighted, despite extensive & exhaustive searching. Again this is fact. In seeking an explanation as to why this should be, a strong possibility emerges in that the person has departed from the area of search... If so, there are three possibilities why the person remains missing and unaccounted for... 1) The person left the area of their own violation. 2) The person was abducted. 3) A mixture of 1 and 2, ie, the abductor persuaded the missing person to go with them on some pretext or other, eg, there was an urgent situation that required assistance &/or person's attendance and then, at a later stage, the willing, unsuspecting missing person finds that they have unwittingly become the victim of a kidnap... So, a pre-planned kidnapping or random ?...If it was a random, opportunist abduction, I venture that the abductor would only be interested in taking the person – and not interested in lugging around their backpack. As there has been no sign of a struggle, backpack or other items of personal belongings, clothing etc found discarded anywhere in over two weeks of searching, a strong possibility for this is that these items remained with the missing person when they left the area...If it was re-planned, the abductor would need to know, or have the means to know, where to find the victim... One of my earliest insights into missing persons was the “Black Panther” - Lesley Whittle abduction - and that didn't end well, unfortunately.

You misunderstood. It is not against the rules here to post google street views, we just require links to go with them.

Ok on that basis here's the campervan location in the article with accompanying link. I think it can be seen quite clearly this is a bit of common land or scrub land, not connected with the building, and you can see with things like the dark bricks on the wall that it matches the photo of the van. Doesn't look to me like somewhere I'd expect to find campervans parked up either overnight, or especially longer term (but having said that I do know from experience that they are a lot more relaxed about that sort of thing in continental Europe than in the UK).

campervanlocation.jpg

Google Maps

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I guess. There are other ways of staying safe besides staying inside one's van most of the time. Yoga is not *that* exotic, especially in a village that's used to tourism and has camper vans going through frequently. I am well aware that a solo woman can garner unwanted attention in foreign lands, but at a certain point, we set some boundaries and continue to try and be ourselves. I spend a lot of time in national parks, with a small tent. There's no way for me to do my yoga and physical therapy exercises in that small tent - so I find a place outside to do it. The pose that Esther is shown doing is not all that different from just...standing. IMO.

I do not think the fact that she's balancing on one leg, preparatory to a hike that's almost a climb, is odd at all and if the "entire village" found it necessary or interesting to watch and if there was a disapproving attitude, I sure hope that becomes part of this story. But I think Spain (and France) are very liberal in their attitudes toward women, yoga, eccentric tourist behaviors, etc. That's my experience, anyway.

To some extent, a solo woman is vulnerable - but only to the worst sort of bad actor, not to villages-in-general. People do not suddenly decide to do harm to someone just because they see them do yoga. That person had to already be mentally very very unstable (and if so, someone knows that - LE in a small place usually know that already). It would not be this person's first transgression against women, if you ask me (that's a professional opinion).
Personally, I dismiss most of what is in the press and on social media pages. I focus on facts and these can become easily distorted & clouded on these mediums. I start with the basics. A person is missing and is unaccounted for. This is the crux of the matter – and is an uncontested fact. There is no evidence of the person being in the area that they were last sighted, despite extensive & exhaustive searching. Again this is fact. In seeking an explanation as to why this should be, a strong possibility emerges in that the person has departed from the area of search... If so, there are three possibilities why the person remains missing and unaccounted for... 1) The person left the area of their own violation. 2) The person was abducted. 3) A mixture of 1 and 2, ie, the abductor persuaded the missing person to go with them on some pretext or other, eg, there was an urgent situation that required assistance &/or person's attendance and then, at a later stage, the willing, unsuspecting missing person finds that they have unwittingly become the victim of a kidnap... So, a pre-planned kidnapping or random ?...If it was a random, opportunist abduction, I venture that the abductor would only be interested in taking the person – and not interested in lugging around their backpack. As there has been no sign of a struggle, backpack or other items of personal belongings, clothing etc found discarded anywhere in over two weeks of searching, a strong possibility for this is that these items remained with the missing person when they left the area...If it was re-planned, the abductor would need to know, or have the means to know, where to find the victim... One of my earliest insights into missing persons was the “Black Panther” - Lesley Whittle abduction - and that didn't end well, unfortunately.

From MSM:

<<If she landed in a crevasse, she would be covered by snow with little prospect of being found until the spring>>

So the search has been called off, but there is clearly a 4th possibility: she's in a crevasse, covered with snow, and will not be found until Spring.

And the French Police Chief said "Hopefully she merely got off route and will come back to her car," imply that, at least on the French side, the searching was done along her planned route (normal for a search many places).

So that's a 5th (although increasingly remote possibility that leads back to #4).

It has snowed on the French side since she went missing. They aren't searching under the snow, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read the Facebook posts I find a change in style of writing for the post that refers to the kind fellow hiker.

There are lots of errors in this post possibly from predictive text etc Misspelt words or words that don’t make sense. In Esthers previous posts she seems to take care not to have any errors. I have a feeling of doubt that she wrote this particular post.

also it is far more rambling than her previous posts where she writes fairly well constructed sentences.
the photo is odd... I know several have mentioned the most peculiar outline of her figure! Strange. Just my thoughts and observations

I noticed the same thing. Definitely makes this very odd.

On the subject of Esther doing yoga en la Calle, it is worth reading the website of Esther and Dan where there is a section about Esther ... entitled Meet Esther.
In it she describes herself including the words “so I have less of an issue about looking silly, more than happy to express my joy and to roll out a yoga mat in a crowded place!”
In my experience many experienced yogis are exactly the same. Look at the yogi community on Instagram...they roll out their mats anywhere..sometimes even in airports.

I guess. There are other ways of staying safe besides staying inside one's van most of the time. Yoga is not *that* exotic, especially in a village that's used to tourism and has camper vans going through frequently. I am well aware that a solo woman can garner unwanted attention in foreign lands, but at a certain point, we set some boundaries and continue to try and be ourselves. I spend a lot of time in national parks, with a small tent. There's no way for me to do my yoga and physical therapy exercises in that small tent - so I find a place outside to do it. The pose that Esther is shown doing is not all that different from just...standing. IMO.

I do not think the fact that she's balancing on one leg, preparatory to a hike that's almost a climb, is odd at all and if the "entire village" found it necessary or interesting to watch and if there was a disapproving attitude, I sure hope that becomes part of this story. But I think Spain (and France) are very liberal in their attitudes toward women, yoga, eccentric tourist behaviors, etc. That's my experience, anyway.

To some extent, a solo woman is vulnerable - but only to the worst sort of bad actor, not to villages-in-general. People do not suddenly decide to do harm to someone just because they see them do yoga. That person had to already be mentally very very unstable (and if so, someone knows that - LE in a small place usually know that already). It would not be this person's first transgression against women, if you ask me (that's a professional opinion).

From MSM:

<<If she landed in a crevasse, she would be covered by snow with little prospect of being found until the spring>>

So the search has been called off, but there is clearly a 4th possibility: she's in a crevasse, covered with snow, and will not be found until Spring.

And the French Police Chief said "Hopefully she merely got off route and will come back to her car," imply that, at least on the French side, the searching was done along her planned route (normal for a search many places).

So that's a 5th (although increasingly remote possibility that leads back to #4).

It has snowed on the French side since she went missing. They aren't searching under the snow, either.

Though I agree with your post in general, as a Mother of two independent, adventurous, single women, I must add one caveat...please leave a “flight plan.” There’s a very good reason that even the most experienced pilots file a flight plan. When setting out on your single adventures, just in case, just in case, please have a point person who knows the details. If you deviate, check in and revise.

Just in case, just on the remote possibility, that you might someday need help.I understand it goes up against the strong desire to be independent and free, but I so wish, reading cases like thus, that there had been more specific information as to her actual plans.

Yes, I think you are spot on. Before I even reached the part that revealed it was a forensic officer in the van, I had a feeling that it would be LE working late. Of course, the editor knew the van was occupied legitimately and that there was no mystery, but if he went with the truth from the start, there was no story to fill up his paper columns.

Occupied legitimately is one thing . Witness said 'I saw someone sleeping in the back of the caravan car and I couldn't believe it,'. If true, and if that was during the period LE were working on it , that is creepy and suspicious IMO, someone laying in her bed??!

Though I agree with your post in general, as a Mother of two independent, adventurous, single women, I must add one caveat...please leave a “flight plan.” There’s a very good reason that even the most experienced pilots file a flight plan. When setting out on your single adventures, just in case, just in case, please have a point person who knows the details. If you deviate, check in and revise.

Just in case, just on the remote possibility, that you might someday need help.I understand it goes up against the strong desire to be independent and free, but I so wish, reading cases like thus, that there had been more specific information as to her actual plans.

There was a specific plan. Her dad and Dan were both told the route she planned to take, and it was a relatively straightforward walk from leaving the campervan to climbing the mountain to sleeping at the refuge. That is presumably why the SAR don't think she's up there, because they've searched every possible accident point on that route.

Only Dan knows how risk averse (or otherwise) Esther was, whether she is likely to have stuck to the plan or if she'd have deviated from it. She knew she had about enough time to get to the refuge so I can't see that she'd have gone wandering about too much. That said, Dan hadn't seen her for almost a month, so she'd had lots of time to grow her confidence and experience as a solo hiker. Who knows? Did she fall? Was she even up there?

I so wish, reading cases like thus, that there had been more specific information as to her actual plans.
RSBM

I agree with you that it is so important to share a route plan - but I believe Esther did follow that advice. They know precisely what her intended route was, and how long she intended to be.
"Dingley was on the Chemin de l’Impératrice (Empress Path) hiking route via Port de Venasque before heading for Porte de la Glère in the Luchon valley"
Gendarmes to scale down search for British hiker Esther Dingley in Pyrenees

She also kept in close touch with Colegate, per her What's app contact when she reached the peak safely on her first afternoon. When he did not hear from her the next day, he appears to have assumed it was because she was out of cell reception. After not hearing the day after that, he called her in as missing, and told searchers her precise plan.

<modsnip>
I'm guessing it would be against the rules to post an image off google street view but the one I have in front of me now I can even make out the darker bricks in the stonework just to the left of the top of the van that 100% confirm that is the location.
<rsbm>

Screenshot and a link from Google Street View is fine Grouse.

ETA: I now see Ontario Mom got here way ahead of me. I will go back to my couch now (or should I say "THE couch") :D

Last edited:
... 1) The person left the area of their own violation. 2) The person was abducted. 3) A mixture of 1 and 2, ie, the abductor persuaded the missing person to go with them on some pretext or other, eg, there was an urgent situation that required assistance &/or person's attendance and then, at a later stage, the willing, unsuspecting missing person finds that they have unwittingly become the victim of a kidnap... .
Respectfully quoted

There is the still the possibility of an accident.

Would be really good to use punctuation, separate paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member