TN - Boy, 2, abandoned with note at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi, 14 Dec 2020 *arrest*

dotr

Reaction score
Boy, 2, abandoned with note at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi
Boy-2.jpg

An unidentified child, 2, is shown in this handout photo from police in Southaven, Miss., on Dec. 14, 2020. Southaven Police Department/Facebook

''A two-year-old boy was abandoned at a Goodwill store’s drop-off point in Southaven, Miss., on Monday morning, according to local police.

The child was found at 9:40 a.m. Monday alongside a change of clothes and a note. “His mother cannot take care of him anymore,” the note said, according to local station Fox 13.

The child was not wearing socks and the temperature outside was close to freezing.

Goodwill staff turned the boy over to police, and he was later placed with Child Protective Services (CPS).''

"The suspect “dropped the child off with a plastic bag containing a change of clothes and a note,” police said. Then he walked away.

Police announced on Monday afternoon that a suspect had been arrested in the case. They did not reveal the suspect’s identity or the nature of the potential charges.

They also told local media that they know the child’s name, though they did not release it.''

Boy, 2, Abandoned at Mississippi Goodwill Donation Center with Note and Change of Clothes

From article:
Authorities said the child was dropped off by a man wearing black jogging pants and a black cowboy hat, who left the scene on foot.
—————-
Surveillance cameras in the area captured images of the man and a woman who authorities believe were involved in the incident.

The two were seen together in a red vehicle when the boy was abandoned, according to police.
—————
An employee at the Goodwill center told news station WREG-TV that the man had said "the child's mother couldn't care for him" before leaving the premise.

The note left with the toddler reportedly read: "child abandoned … no phone number for mom."
—————

The People article also has a photo of the child with the man who dropped him off (child was wearing shoes in pic), a photo of woman believed to be involved and a pic of the red car the trio was seen in. The boy was happy, eating and playing with toys.

I for one am thrilled he was abandoned. Don't misunderstand. I am not thrilled this little guy was so unwanted he was left with nothing but a note and a change of clothes and a snack. I am thrilled he is alive and not beaten, or neglected to death.

If the note he was left with is to believed I speculate that the child's mother may have left him with others and then never returned. Quite possibly mother and the persons involved in abandoning him are involved in drug or other dangerous lifestyles.

At least he wasn't reported abducted or missing only to be found later murdered by those who should have loved him.

Boy, 2, abandoned with note at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi
Boy-2.jpg

An unidentified child, 2, is shown in this handout photo from police in Southaven, Miss., on Dec. 14, 2020. Southaven Police Department/Facebook

''A two-year-old boy was abandoned at a Goodwill store’s drop-off point in Southaven, Miss., on Monday morning, according to local police.

The child was found at 9:40 a.m. Monday alongside a change of clothes and a note. “His mother cannot take care of him anymore,” the note said, according to local station Fox 13.

The child was not wearing socks and the temperature outside was close to freezing.

Goodwill staff turned the boy over to police, and he was later placed with Child Protective Services (CPS).''

"The suspect “dropped the child off with a plastic bag containing a change of clothes and a note,” police said. Then he walked away.

Police announced on Monday afternoon that a suspect had been arrested in the case. They did not reveal the suspect’s identity or the nature of the potential charges.

They also told local media that they know the child’s name, though they did not release it.''
Look, it’s better than harming him, leaving him in the care of a bad person, or leaving him somewhere where he wouldn’t be found.

The person who dropped him off needs help and support. MOO

I’ve always wondered why there are no options there are for parents (usually mothers) who become unable to care for their children. We have Safe Haven laws for newborns, but what about older children? I agree, there would be a lot fewer child murders or abuse cases if parents who can’t or don’t want to care for their kid had a safe alternative. I know it would be very costly, and likely have the same problems we already see in many child protective services, but I’m happy to be reading about this boy being alive instead of at the bottom of a swimming pool or thrown in a dumpster. I pray he is placed with a loving family.

At least he was safe and unharmed, unlike so many children.
Had meant to write more than just coldly saying ''like an unwanted toy'', truly glad the little guy now stands a good chance in life and not end up like so many other tragic child cases.

Are social services open during the pandemic, could he have been left there, or would there be too many forms to fill and questions asked?
2-year-old boy abandoned outside Mississippi Goodwill with a note
201215-man-abandoned-toddler-jm-0950_71f88873d3a2cf96050eb051a4585231.fit-760w.jpg

Security footage shows an unidentified man with a 2-year-old toddler who was abandoned outside a Goodwill store in Southaven, Miss.Southaven Police Department
Boy, 2, is abandoned with no shoes or socks because his 'mom can't care for him'

Police released imaged of a woman they believe was associated with the incidentCredit: Southaven Police Department

''The tips led the FBI and Shelby County deputies to a Kroger in Trinity Commons around 3:30 in the afternoon.

The red car the couple was seen in crashed into another car and several deputy vehicles - the driver apparently trying to get away.''

Last edited:
Had meant to write more than just coldly saying ''like an unwanted toy'', truly glad the little guy now stands a good chance in life and not end up like so many other tragic child cases.

Are social services open during the pandemic, could he have been left there, or would there be too many forms to fill and questions asked?
2-year-old boy abandoned outside Mississippi Goodwill with a note
201215-man-abandoned-toddler-jm-0950_71f88873d3a2cf96050eb051a4585231.fit-760w.jpg

Security footage shows an unidentified man with a 2-year-old toddler who was abandoned outside a Goodwill store in Southaven, Miss.Southaven Police Department
I truly wish there were more options for toddlers and older. I greatly prefer the option to drop off safely with no questions asked if it keeps children out of harm’s way.

It took courage to drop him off at Goodwill - a place known to help people, a place with several people around to assist- instead of just keeping him alone in a room continuously neglected or worse. The people who dropped him off are probably good people who are just not in a position to care for a child. IMO.

It took courage to drop him off at Goodwill - a place known to help people, a place with several people around to assist- instead of just keeping him alone in a room continuously neglected or worse. The people who dropped him off are probably good people who are just not in a position to care for a child. IMO.
Especially nowadays with the messed up economy and the pandemic.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back