Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. The husband stated he believed she had been abducted, likely while crossing the road; thus, constituting a criminal act. However, as we know, no suspects or POI have been named by Law Enforcement.

Amateur opinion and speculation
BBM
Correct. And possibly because she was in a bikini top and drinking a beer.
I guess that could get some attention, especially if by a random moment chance just at the exact right time someone was driving thru a long desert highway that had kidnapping on their mind.
I just place this very low on my thoughts of what happened to her. It doesn't make enough logical sense to me.
jmo

Correct. And possibly because she was in a bikini top and drinking a beer.
I guess that could get some attention, especially if by a random moment chance just at the exact right time someone was driving thru a long desert highway that had kidnapping on their mind.
I just place this very low on my thoughts of what happened to her. It doesn't make enough logical sense to me.

I agree it's highly unlikely, and I don't think RT ever really thought that, it was just a scenario that offered a little hope.
But as you say, it remains a remote possibility, even if for some reason she got into a car willingly.

What do you think RT thought happened?
That she wandered off and lost her way for whatever reason. By the time of the interview he would have been well aware that she couldn't have survived in those circumstance.
He of course knows the mood of their parting, whether it was amicable or there was some friction.
If - and of course this is purely speculation - Barbara was annoyed or they had had a spat about something, she might have stomped off in a huff. If she was in that kind of mood, I think it's easier to understand how she might have got lost.

The air conditioning unit on the fifth wheel would either need engine power or a generator? Or power hookup if at a camp site?

That model came standard with a large A/C unit and its own generator. In fact, I believe it may have had 2 generators. I don't have the model name in my brain any more, but it is visible in the video where RT walks out of his house and past the 5th wheel.

I don't know anyone who takes a 5th wheel to the desert, where the 5th wheel does not have a generator of its own.

That model came standard with a large A/C unit and its own generator. In fact, I believe it may have had 2 generators. I don't have the model name in my brain any more, but it is visible in the video where RT walks out of his house and past the 5th wheel.

I don't know anyone who takes a 5th wheel to the desert, where the 5th wheel does not have a generator of its own.
Keystone Cougar. New-ish.

Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel RV's for Full-Time Camping - Keystone RV

That she wandered off and lost her way for whatever reason. By the time of the interview he would have been well aware that she couldn't have survived in those circumstance.
He of course knows the mood of their parting, whether it was amicable or there was some friction.
If - and of course this is purely speculation - Barbara was annoyed or they had had a spat about something, she might have stomped off in a huff. If she was in that kind of mood, I think it's easier to understand how she might have got lost.

I agree that this is a plausible theory, although your second version is the only one I think makes sense. She was within view of the RV and truck (according to RT, see the discussion where @cazador contacts the Colorado River SBCSO division and gets the GPS coordinates for where RT says Barbara was last seen).

I do believe it's possible she could have headed east rather than north at that trail intersection, but in that case, she was very confused, perhaps already in an early phase of heat exhaustion. While the area was thoroughly searched, she would have intersected the road about a mile away from the 5th wheel. Not seeing the 5th wheel, instead of retracing her steps, she must have walked someplace else. There's no trail immediate opposite the place where the eastbound trail intersects the road, so it's anyone's guess what she would have done next - but if she desired not to walk in her bikini along Kelbaker (for safety and other reasons), she might have tried walking off road on the other side of Kelbaker - but now 1 mile from where she should have been.

I've long thought that the search focused too closely on the side of the road opposite where the RV/truck were. There are photos from several days of the search, only one shows the northern side of the road being searched. In that photo, searchers are shown walking along the dirt road that begins near where they were parked. It's a vast area to search. Helicopters are pictured searching to the south, but not to the north.

Personally, I want to go out there to look around, and actually had a plan to do so last February, but COVID became a thing. I wish someone could have organized a drone search on that side, preferably in 2019.

The symptoms of heat exhaustion, leading to heat stroke, are subtle but definitely include confusion.

IMO, we also don't know how hydrated she was that day, as an example. Your body/health condition when you step outdoors for a physical activity matters as well.

Exactly. Beer is dehydrating, of course. RT has never mentioned whether they were drinking regularly on the hike. Hydration alone will not prevent heat stroke, anyway. She could have been both dehydrated and overheated (certainly, if dehydrated, heat takes its toll more quickly).

I've had stage 1 heat stroke, my daughter recently had a more severe case. Neither of us had any clue that's what was going on. In my case, euphoria came after the sweating stopped. I thought I was perfectly fine. This is one way the brain has of keeping us going in adverse situation. I was also very confused, as it never occurred to me that I was overheated (despite being dehydrated and in 118° heat).

IMO, we also don't know how hydrated she was that day, as an example. Your body/health condition when you step outdoors for a physical activity matters as well.
From the beginning, it was never clear to me how prepared the couple were to be in the desert. Reportedly, they stopped for about a 2-mile hike and were already near the road (where camper located) when the husband stopped to photograph a rock formation and believed that BT walked ahead and would be waiting at the trailer. Reports say they had a gallon of water and beer. I don't know if that means one gallon of water inside the trailer or on the hike but that does not seem nearly sufficient for two individuals on a 2-mile desert hike!

AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

From the beginning, it was never clear to me how prepared the couple were to be in the desert. Reportedly, they stopped for about a 2-mile hike and were already near the road (where camper located) when the husband stopped to photograph a rock formation and believed that BT walked ahead and would be waiting at the trailer. Reports say they had a gallon of water and beer. I don't know if that means one gallon of water inside the trailer or on the hike but that does not seem nearly sufficient for two individuals on a 2-mile desert hike!

AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

IIRC, RT was said to be carrying a gallon of water. I'm sure they had more water in the RV. MOO

I'm still intrigued by the use of the word "hike".
In UK English, that usually describes something quite gruelling, a long-distance trek of many miles.
We would just call this (a mile there and a mile back) a walk - or even a stroll. :)
Truly our shared language throws up many anomalies!

I agree that this is a plausible theory, although your second version is the only one I think makes sense. She was within view of the RV and truck (according to RT, see the discussion where @cazador contacts the Colorado River SBCSO division and gets the GPS coordinates for where RT says Barbara was last seen).

I do believe it's possible she could have headed east rather than north at that trail intersection, but in that case, she was very confused, perhaps already in an early phase of heat exhaustion. While the area was thoroughly searched, she would have intersected the road about a mile away from the 5th wheel. Not seeing the 5th wheel, instead of retracing her steps, she must have walked someplace else. There's no trail immediate opposite the place where the eastbound trail intersects the road, so it's anyone's guess what she would have done next - but if she desired not to walk in her bikini along Kelbaker (for safety and other reasons), she might have tried walking off road on the other side of Kelbaker - but now 1 mile from where she should have been.

I've long thought that the search focused too closely on the side of the road opposite where the RV/truck were. There are photos from several days of the search, only one shows the northern side of the road being searched. In that photo, searchers are shown walking along the dirt road that begins near where they were parked. It's a vast area to search. Helicopters are pictured searching to the south, but not to the north.

Personally, I want to go out there to look around, and actually had a plan to do so last February, but COVID became a thing. I wish someone could have organized a drone search on that side, preferably in 2019.

The symptoms of heat exhaustion, leading to heat stroke, are subtle but definitely include confusion.
I am in complete agreement with your analysis of where the search took place and of Barbara's probable/possible route. I do hope you get to search this area in the coming months.

I'm still intrigued by the use of the word "hike".
In UK English, that usually describes something quite gruelling, a long-distance trek of many miles.
We would just call this (a mile there and a mile back) a walk - or even a stroll. :)
Truly our shared language throws up many anomalies!

I would say the big difference in this case is the remoteness of where they went for their stroll - no sidewalks or paths in the middle of the Mojave Desert!

I'm a little confused about the directions being referred to, as I thought Kelbaker Road runs roughly north-south?

It always surprises me that Google Maps doesn't have a direction indicator. When I was at school our geography teacher impressed upon us that the first thing to add when drawing a map is an arrow pointing north. Woe betide us if we missed it out!

I would say the big difference in this case is the remoteness of where they went for their stroll - no sidewalks or paths in the middle of the Mojave Desert!
But not challenging in terms of distance or gradient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288