GUILTY NY - Evanna Tranberg-Bennett, 12, died, parents failed to get her medical care, 6 Dec 2019 Probation

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Jane_Fox. I just wonder where their next theatrics will happen? They surely won't be a welcome sight in that town after all their claims. IMO and Smh

Seems though they have a good thing there. No one at all ever interacted with them except a few they grow/farm with and a few that worked in the small health food store.

I can't wait to get more details on what went down. After all the protestations from the family, and then they all plead guilty? I'm shocked. There is a story there.
Well, that was fast. I wondered if they would end up pleading to a lesser charge. They probably didn't want to go to trial, and they knew and admitted they were negligent.

I think the reason they protested so much was because they were facing murder charges and a felony conviction.

Still, Child Endangerment is no small crime. They could be facing a year in prison and they will have to live with the stigma and shame for a long time.

I wonder if they will still be allowed to homeschool their children.

ETA I just looked it up and apparently there is no law against parents with criminal backgrounds homeschooling their children.

Last edited:
Czajka said his office reached an agreement on the charge based on the evidence, the circumstances of COVID-19 that would likely delay a trial for more than a year, and out of a desire to help the parent's several other minor children who are in family court proceedings aimed at rehabilitating their parents.
7 plead guilty in Columbia County case after girl's death

Seems though they have a good thing there. No one at all ever interacted with them except a few they grow/farm with and a few that worked in the small health food store.

That may be true for now. The public have put up with alot from their constant denial and blaming the EMS, DSS etc. The public surely can't stone them, and cry out "Shame...Shame.." like Game of Thrones. But shunning and dirty looks works just as well.

And, I personally am peed off that it was just a misdemeanor, but I am pleased that they admitted guilt.
That admission right there is Justice for Evanna! That is a step in the right direction. In saying that, I feel the worst for the 7 littles of the family. THEY have to live with this. THEY will know what happened. If you are a praying person, keep them in your prayers.

Czajka said his office reached an agreement on the charge based on the evidence, the circumstances of COVID-19 that would likely delay a trial for more than a year, and out of a desire to help the parent's several other minor children who are in family court proceedings aimed at rehabilitating their parents.
7 plead guilty in Columbia County case after girl's death

Still disgusting even if the perfect politically neutral appropriate statement. Saw someone mention this & it seems true...it’s one of the poorest Counties in NY- too idealistic in thinking they could tie up the resources to take 7 people to trial.

That may be true for now. The public have put up with alot from their constant denial and blaming the EMS, DSS etc. The public surely can't stone them, and cry out "Shame...Shame.." like Game of Thrones. But shunning and dirty looks works just as well.

And, I personally am peed off that it was just a misdemeanor, but I am pleased that they admitted guilt.
That admission right there is Justice for Evanna! That is a step in the right direction. In saying that, I feel the worst for the 7 littles of the family. THEY have to live with this. THEY will know what happened. If you are a praying person, keep them in your prayers.

Types Of Criminal Charges In New York State:
A Misdemeanor is an offense other than traffic infraction of which a sentence in excess of 15 days but not greater than one year may be imposed (New York State Penal Law, Article 10). A misdemeanor is a crime. Petit larceny, criminal mischief in the fourth degree and assault in the third degree all fall into this category. Misdemeanors are grouped into one of three classes: Class A, Class B, or Unclassified. Upon conviction of a Class “A” misdemeanor, a court may sentence an individual to a maximum of one year in jail or three years probation. In addition, a fine of up to $1,000 or twice the amount of the individual’s gain from the crime may be imposed. Offenders found guilty of Class “B” misdemeanors face maximum penalties of up to three months imprisonment or one year probation. In addition, a fine of up to five hundred dollars or double the amount of the defendant’s gain from the commission of the crime may be imposed. An unclassified misdemeanor is any offense not defined in the Penal law (other than a traffic violation) for which a sentence of imprisonment of greater than 15 days but not in excess of one year may be imposed.

I agree Jane_Fox. I just wonder where their next theatrics will happen? They surely won't be a welcome sight in that town after all their claims. IMO and Smh

JMO those kind of people could give a rat's behind if you shun them call them names or give the side eye.

They are it! To them all that counts. Plus some grow your own food, Aquaponics, down with the man will probably want to work with them.

And a beautiful child suffered.

I'm surprised they didn't insist on a nolo plea
Me too, in this county and with this D.A.

I'm still seething. I got that Times Union article on my Google Alerts, read the thing, posted it here, and was in shock the whole time because of the sentence.
Shocked but not surprised. Lived there. Know their ways. Physically it's a pretty place, the roads and the trees which bow over them to make holloways, so graceful; the Hudson in the west, tidal, steady, grey. But the justice system there -- man oh man.

Last edited:
Wow! They plead guilty....

What about all the claims of documentations they had that "would come out at trial and justify them?"

What about all the shaming of alleged trolls and stalkers?

What about all the defamation screaming?

All of this, and yet they plead guilty.
I am shaking my head.

I will have to make another post when I have more time, but what was that about rehabilitating the parents? They are not trying to return the children to the family AGAIN, are they?

They have almost 20 years of DSS/CPS involvement, their children were removed numerous times. They KILLED a child and have admitted to it by pleading guilty.

The minors that are in foster care can’t be possibly returned to them. Are they going to let another child die?

Wow!! How could you accept a deal that makes your teenage and young adult children plead guilty to a crime? I really thought this was going to end with Steve and Heidi taking a plea for reckless endangerment homicide and charges would be dropped against the adult children. This is why they needed separate representation. I don't see how the 19 year old could have been reasonably expected to go against the wishes of her domineering, home schooling parents and her adult sisters and rush poor Evanna to the hospital. In an ideal world, she would, and she'd be a hero. But in terms of legal responsibility I think it is a hard case to make.

It is sad that they are all so brainwashed that they didn't defend themselves and instead joined Papa in taking criminal charges. Charges that will be with them for life. I don't know if this is really justice for Evanna if the functioning of that house didn't change one bit here.

How does one begin to rehabilitate this mess? The depths of damage the parents had on their own children alone seems irreversible. They defended themselves feverishly, yet it was all riddled with lies and insanity reigned. They have left a trail of damage through this community that is barr none. Sadly I feel this is far from over. All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael C Vang