CA CA - Mary Ann Hogland-McCluskey, 12, Santa Rosa, Jul 1981

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Mary Ann Hogland
Nickname/Alias McCluskey
Sonoma County, California
12 year old white female

Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

Hair: Blond/Strawberry
Eyes: Unknown

Distinctive features:
moles on her neck
thick ankles and B cup sized bra

Mary Ann Hogland was last seen in 1981.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26883/

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Mary ran away from home some time before her disappearance, after she was allegedly abused. She was picked up and taken to the Los Guilicos Juvenile Justice Center in Santa Rosa, California sometime afterwards.

Mary ran away from the juvenile facility in July or August of 1981 and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.
http://charleyproject.org/case/mary-ann-hogland-mccluskey

Previous (closed) thread: https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Ann-Hogland-McCluskey-(12)-Santa-Rosa-CA-1981

Blairstown Princess Doe maybe?

Sanctioned homeless camp's site has a surprising history

In 1945, the Knights of Pythias sold the property to the state of California for use as a correctional facility for “delinquent” girls. The state operated the Los Guilicos School for Girls until the 1970's when it was sold to Sonoma County and used as a juvenile detention center.

It were other times, I know, but being allegedly abused and most likely running away from that, is no reason to put a 12 year old in jail and most certainly not a serious, violent juvenile offence, where IMO these detention centers are made for. I feel sad things were handled this way in those days.

There is a lot out there about the School for Girls and women who went there in it's operating years, very interesting stuff, but Mary was on the grounds much later.

The ‘raging teenage girls’ of Los Guilicos

The school was designed for delinquent – but not violent – girls, ages 11 to 17, from across the state who had been placed under the supervision of the California Youth Authority (CYA). Some had broken laws, many were from broken homes. The Los Guilicos School was an attempt at a new approach to address juvenile delinquency – a growing concern at the time and considered a mix of poor judgement and lack of parental guidance.

But I was actually searching for info about the 80's to get some "feel" about how is was in those days. Sadly there is not much to find about the Los Guilicos Juvenile Justice Center particular in the 80's. At least I couldn't. The new Santa Rosa Juvenile Hall was established in 2005.

Looking at the video about the now abandoned grounds (a little wobbly video, but I love to take a look)

It's away from everything.....How did Mary get away from the grounds? Could she have help, hitchhiking?

Mary is added here:
Mary Hogland-McCluskey

Also for convenience her Namus file again: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I wonder if there is still family around looking out for her. I hope they provided DNA in case off.

I hope Mary is out there somewhere and is leading a wonderful and productive life. I really like her smiling face.

Could this be her and DOB (1968) isn't right?

upload_2021-12-19_11-55-10.png

And then we have J.A.H. a male, same mother, born 18 Dec. 1969..... wrong info?

Could this be her and DOB (1968) isn't right?

View attachment 326925

And then we have J.A.H. a male, same mother, born 18 Dec. 1969..... wrong info?

My guess as an old genealogist:

a) transcription error in the year

b) Ms. Hogland-McCluskey was 13, which does align developmentally with her reported physical description

Am I the only one who finds it odd that her bras size is reported -- but not her eye color???

Anyone figure out why there are 2 possible surnames?

Anyone, for genealogical purposes, look for the possible brother? We do not sleuth family members, but upthread a poster asked if family still seeks this missing child.

BTW love the video, beautiful place!

jmho ymmv lrr

My guess as an old genealogist:

a) transcription error in the year

b) Ms. Hogland-McCluskey was 13, which does align developmentally with her reported physical description

Am I the only one who finds it odd that her bras size is reported -- but not her eye color???

Anyone figure out why there are 2 possible surnames?

Anyone, for genealogical purposes, look for the possible brother? We do not sleuth family members, but upthread a poster asked if family still seeks this missing child.

BTW love the video, beautiful place!

jmho ymmv lrr

Thank you sweetie....according to C.Pr. she has brown eyes. What about the pear-shaped figure and thick ankles. No you are not the only one raising eyebrows about the cup size. I think her bio dad is Hogland....mom remarried?

EXCELLENT work, very impressed. But no mention of a daughter. Of course the informant -- person who wrote the obituary - may never have heard of Mary Ann.

jmho ymmv lrr

If this is her mom, her family...that's saddening me very, very much.

Why I get the feeling this was maybe a twin? If not...brother must have some remembrance of his sis.

Agree with you.

In the obit, trying to get a fuller picture of our missing person's family. Does it seem to be McCluskey adult children listed first? Implies that marriage was first, the marriage to Mr. Hogland followed?

Usually helpful to learn about the family dynamics when teens run away.

Indeed wondering what young J Hogland remembers about his sister, and efforts to locate/re-establish contact with her.

Best, Laughing

jmho ymmv lrr

I want to bring up this little girl's picture with her wonderful smile, indicating she was happy once. Actually she looks like me...when I was young....without the curly hair.

mary_ann_hogland-mccluskey_1.jpg

Last edited:
Mary Ann's mother divorced Hogland in May 1974 and married McCluskey in December 1974.

Mary Ann's mother divorced Hogland in May 1974 and married McCluskey in December 1974.

Possible that the McCluskey children wrote the obit for the funeral home. Mom may have been tight-lipped about Mary Ann, or insisted on no mention of their half-sister.

Wonder if someone released from the juvenile center arranged with Mary Ann to return & pick her up? Or did she run away with other girls?

Who can we call, posters who like to work California missing?

Cali posters, IIRC:

@cvaldez1975 , @gitana1 @charminglane @Tink56

Thanks, Laughing

jmho ymmv lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members