Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

Yep, my last comment should have said ex-Mrs. Ex-wife would have been clearer yet.

For your POA question, I wonder about the trust the home has been put in. Who are the beneficiaries? What are the requirements for the beneficiaries to have access to the funds? Who’s the trustee executing the trust? If he is, then who’s the successor trustee if he’s not interested/available? Dollars to donuts it’s not his ex wife.

A trust would be an excellent way to ensure his kids get the proceeds without his ex-wife having access to the funds. All he’d have to do is lock the trust until the kids turn 18 and/or dictate that proceeds be released only for their college education.

I’m very curious if he’s also transferred additional assets to the trust. Bank accounts, 401K, investment funds, etc. If he did those funds would be protected too.

Without a trust, if he died or disappeared his ex-wife would probably be controlling the money for the kids until they were adults, with virtually no oversight.

A Trust would work equally well if he were to die or just disappear. If he thought he might do either and was worried about his kids financial future it’s a really smart move IMO.
it's a very broad POA IMO. His agent can do anything include change the beneficiary of life insurance which I've never seen - now I need to go check mine to see if I grant this power.

The Trust is an excellent way to protect the assets for the children - in one of our Trusts, the beneficiary is under 18 and so in order to receive the share - a guardianship is required and the guardianship has a guardian with an attorney who only looks out for the beneficiary - Mom can't get her money. Each withdrawal from the Trust requires a court order.

JMO

All the POA information and subsequent discussions now lead me to believe this was a guy who had a very thoughtfully arranged exit plan if he ever needed it. This sounds like more than just estate planning and more like him keeping all options open. @Colorado303 's speculation that he may be on a beach somewhere doesn't seem so far fetched to me now.

All the POA information and subsequent discussions now lead me to believe this was a guy who had a very thoughtfully arranged exit plan if he ever needed it. This sounds like more than just estate planning and more like him keeping all options open. @Colorado303 's speculation that he may be on a beach somewhere doesn't seem so far fetched to me now.

I cannot think of some transportation he can take to escape. Do we know his last bank transaction or credit card transaction? If only some friends helped him.

We are interrupting your thread to tell you something very important.

We are holding a week-long fundraiser for our wonderful moderators.

The mods volunteer their time to keep Websleuths not only running smoothly but they literally keep Websleuths running period.

Without the mods, Websleuths would not be anything close to the forum it is today. More than likely without the mods Websleuths would not be here period!

CLICK RIGHT HERE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO PAYPAL SO YOU CAN DONATE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS MODERATORS!

If you would rather use Venmo the name to use is Tricia-Griffith-14

Please do not donate unless you can truly afford to do so. We completely understand if you cannot donate.
If you want you can leave a message for our wonderful mods! JUST CLICK HERE and you will be taken to a thread where you can leave your message and that has more information on the moderator's incredible work.

From my heart and soul, I cannot thank the moderators enough for their dedication, compassion, and hard work.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
PS. Please do not discuss the fundraiser on this thread. The mods will kill me.

I cannot think of some transportation he can take to escape. Do we know his last bank transaction or credit card transaction? If only some friends helped him.
Most likely, at least one person in JC's life must have the answer to his disappearance. In his position at United, it's possible he had broad contacts who could assist with a planned exit.

Most likely, at least one person in JC's life must have the answer to his disappearance. In his position at United, it's possible he had broad contacts who could assist with a planned exit.
Agreed... and if he had this mindset, he likely had friends with similar ones.

Unless... he wasn’t super smart about these things and an unscrupulous person talked him into this broad POA and had other ideas as well. These types of things come to kind after spending any amount of time reading about the Daybell case.

Familiar from beginning of Daybell and the actors involved. They all left a trail of clues. There doesn't appear to be even a crumb left behind in JC's case
What I was referring to was how life insurance (money) was a motivator with Lori. I followed it intently as well. If you were Lori - talking someone into a broad POA followed by murder doesn’t sound too far fetched.

I would think that if you have worked in a high level position for a large airline for years then you have come in contact with someone or someone who knows someone who owns their own plane and who can get you out of the country if wanted/needed pretty easily.

I would think that if you have worked in a high level position for a large airline for years then you have come in contact with someone or someone who knows someone who owns their own plane and who can get you out of the country if wanted/needed pretty easily.
He was said to have left his phone and Apple watch behind at home, but there was no mention of where his passport was. Given his job it must have been kept within easy reach.

Agree. Absolutely.

He was said to have left his phone and Apple watch behind at home, but there was no mention of where his passport was. Given his job it must have been kept within easy reach.
Excellent point about phone and Apple Watch left behind. Who does that? What comes to mind is 1) Someone who is "taken" 2) Someone who does not want to leave a trail.

If intentional disappearance, what would be advantage of bringing along passport?

Excellent point about phone and Apple Watch left behind. Who does that? What comes to mind is 1) Someone who is "taken" 2) Someone who does not want to leave a trail.

If intentional disappearance, what would be advantage of bringing along passport?
I was responding to the "on a beach somewhere" speculation. If he did slip outside the country, a passport would be pretty valuable for getting around. On social media he had claimed "travel is my passion" and referenced trips to Hong Kong. So if this was indeed an intentional disappearance, I kind of doubt he chose to just lay low in Peoria.

If he used his passport though, wouldn't that be able to be traced? It could explain the lack of push in the media ad by the family though if they did trace it and know that he left the country.

If he used his passport though, wouldn't that be able to be traced? It could explain the lack of push in the media ad by the family though if they did trace it and know that he left the country.
Local LE could possibly trace it. It might also depend on where he went and how that country shares info with the State Dept. I doubt a PI could access such records.

I don't think he would have been prevented from using a passport, however, unless he had a felony warrant. Although it was reported earlier in this thread that he is the subject of an investigation, no charges or warrants have been announced that I'm aware of.

Yeah I definitely meant by LE and if they did that and know he's not actually missing, it would explain a lot that seems so bizarre about this case.

Yeah I definitely meant by LE and if they did that and know he's not actually missing, it would explain a lot that seems so bizarre about this case.
I agree, it would explain a lot and this case is bizarre. But if LE had knowledge of him leaving the country, they wouldn't have committed resources to the second search of the Preserve in late November. Search for Missing United Executive Shifts Deeper Into Suburban Chicago Woods

But if any of his family or coworkers knew or suspected him of leaving that might explain their low profiles.

I agree, it would explain a lot and this case is bizarre. But if LE had knowledge of him leaving the country, they wouldn't have committed resources to the second search of the Preserve in late November. Search for Missing United Executive Shifts Deeper Into Suburban Chicago Woods

But if any of his family or coworkers knew or suspected him of leaving that might explain their low profiles.

Correct. Unless he left the country without leaving a trace. Which than leads to the question, how?

LE thinks he is in the vicinity of or in the Preserve. That second search involved a lot resources indeed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back