TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything unusual about a college student who probably regularly stays up late at night deciding to drive home at a late hour.
Me either. But I do wonder if his parents knew he was on his way and what time they expected him home? Because they were awakened by the call at 2am, so they didn’t seem to be worried about him not arriving or that they were trying to call him.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

EXCLUSIVE: The latest on the search for missing #TexasState student #JasonLandry, who vanished over a week ago on his way home to spend Christmas with his family

NG picked up the story on Crimeonline. Interesting addition to the end of this article. Imo
Hmmm. I mean I wouldn’t even know whether to speculate if that crime could be related or not because we have no idea if he had anything whatsoever to do with those 2 athletes or not. IDK, but I do feel like it’s dawning on LE that this might be a lot more than just a wrecked car? I still think he probably did just wreck and hasn’t been found, but goodness—they have a lot to figure out! And to find him still!

From article:

“As CrimeOnline previously reported, two teen brothers who were student-athletes at Ridge Point High School were fatally shot execution-style on December 12 while parked outside a home in a town neighboring Missouri City. Police have not named any suspects, but have reportedly detained one individual for questioning, ABC 13 reports. There has been no suggestion of any connection between the killing and Landry’s disappearance, or any indication that Landry knew the victims, who would have started high school after Landry graduated.

Miller said on Monday that the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office was unaware of the double homicide near Landry’s hometown, and said that his department would be following up on any and all leads.”

These were some of my very first thoughts about this whole thing. I’m in Houston and attended Texas State back in the 1980s when it was SWTSU. Now, I have one child who already graduated from college and 2 that are in college. Anyway...I’m wondering why Jason was driving home so late at night and what he was doing before leaving. Who can confirm the time that he left San Marcos and that he was driving home? Why not just wait the few hours until morning/daylight? (Not victim blaming. Just saying it could have contributed to state of mind.) Did Kent and Lisa know he was on his way home? I do find it weird that they were woken up by the police, if they knew Jason was driving home.
Also, someone mentioned checking the security cameras at Buc-ee’s. Is it known he actually stopped there? Because Buc-ee’s is located on I-10 and, if Jason missed the turn that would take him to I-10, he would not have been at Buc-ee’s. If he was known to be there, that turns this into a whole different thing.
I have some of the same questions. 1. Did they know he was on his way home that night? 2. Why are they not allowing volunteer searchers? 3. Why no media blitz? Other cases I have followed the parents and friends of missing person are on every news channel, Nancy Grace, doing interviews, passing out flyers, etc. I can think of several cases where a person goes missing and her sorority sisters are doing interviews, updates, etc. Not to mention family members. Nobody has mentioned what he was doing the day of, did he have finals, was he working, was he with friends, was he upset about anything? Nothing about the days leading up to him being missing.

These were some of my very first thoughts about this whole thing. I’m in Houston and attended Texas State back in the 1980s when it was SWTSU. Now, I have one child who already graduated from college and 2 that are in college. Anyway...I’m wondering why Jason was driving home so late at night and what he was doing before leaving. Who can confirm the time that he left San Marcos and that he was driving home? Why not just wait the few hours until morning/daylight? (Not victim blaming. Just saying it could have contributed to state of mind.) Did Kent and Lisa know he was on his way home? I do find it weird that they were woken up by the police, if they knew Jason was driving home.
Also, someone mentioned checking the security cameras at Buc-ee’s. Is it known he actually stopped there? Because Buc-ee’s is located on I-10 and, if Jason missed the turn that would take him to I-10, he would not have been at Buc-ee’s. If he was known to be there, that turns this into a whole different thing.
I have some of the same questions. 1. Did they know he was on his way home that night? 2. Why are they not allowing volunteer searchers? 3. Why no media blitz? Other cases I have followed the parents and friends of missing person are on every news channel, Nancy Grace, doing interviews, passing out flyers, etc. I can think of several cases where a person goes missing and her sorority sisters are doing interviews, updates, etc. Not to mention family members. Nobody has mentioned what he was doing the day of, did he have finals, was he working, was he with friends, was he upset about anything? Nothing about the days leading up to him being missing.

Well seems NG is now on it! See Crimeonline article posted above.
It kind of explains that they are just now starting to investigate all these things you’re questioning, because they weren’t alarmed by a wrecked car w/MIA driver at first.

Hmmm. I mean I wouldn’t even know whether to speculate if that crime could be related or not because we have no idea if he had anything whatsoever to do with those 2 athletes or not. IDK, but I do feel like it’s dawning on LE that this might be a lot more than just a wrecked car? I still think he probably did just wreck and hasn’t been found, but goodness—they have a lot to figure out! And to find him still!

From article:

“As CrimeOnline previously reported, two teen brothers who were student-athletes at Ridge Point High School were fatally shot execution-style on December 12 while parked outside a home in a town neighboring Missouri City. Police have not named any suspects, but have reportedly detained one individual for questioning, ABC 13 reports. There has been no suggestion of any connection between the killing and Landry’s disappearance, or any indication that Landry knew the victims, who would have started high school after Landry graduated.

Miller said on Monday that the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office was unaware of the double homicide near Landry’s hometown, and said that his department would be following up on any and all leads.”
I agree with your post completely. I personally am not thinking the cases are connected but I guess you never know. I’ve definitely seen stranger things in different cases I’ve followed here on WS.
I do respect that LE is owning up to possible early missteps but really not their fault and probably won’t change the outcome. There is no way to know exactly what happened when you only find a wrecked car. Glad they are now investigating different avenues. Such an unusual case. They need to find this young man!! Jmo

I don't see anything unusual about a college student who probably regularly stays up late at night deciding to drive home at a late hour.
As a college student, I didn’t think twice about it and didn’t understand why other people would be concerned or think it was weird. It would have been very normal. As the parent, though, I would have (and have been) worried half to death.

As a college student, I didn’t think twice about it and didn’t understand why other people would be concerned or think it was weird. It would have been very normal. As the parent, though, I would have (and have been) worried half to death.

My personal experience...my parents always discouraged long drives at night, always. My sisters went to college about an hour away from home (30 miles) and they drove home on Sunday nights, no issue.

However, San Marcos to Missouri City is at least 166 miles and nearly three hours away. My parents would definitely never let me drive that distance that late at night.

Rescue organization suspends search for Texas State student who disappeared near Luling

“Landry is from the Houston area and was believed to be traveling home when he crashed.”

Does this mean they’re not sure he was driving home? Or just weird wording?
Wow, so they are suspending their search based on the fact that they feel they searched every accessible and practical location. I know its a vast area, but they have to feel like he isn't there or they'd continue searching I'd think. Best case scenario is someone picked him up wandering along the road and took him somewhere and hasn't been recognized yet and the person who picked him up isn't aware of the situation. He himself would have memory loss and unsure of his name. Longshot at best, but possible. I'd imagine they checked all hospitals in the area for John Does. Just odd they'd consider continuing to search not a good use of resources.

Wow, so they are suspending their search based on the fact that they feel they searched every accessible and practical location. I know its a vast area, but they have to feel like he isn't there or they'd continue searching I'd think. Best case scenario is someone picked him up wandering along the road and took him somewhere and hasn't been recognized yet and the person who picked him up isn't aware of the situation. He himself would have memory loss and unsure of his name. Longshot at best, but possible. I'd imagine they checked all hospitals in the area for John Does. Just odd they'd consider continuing to search not a good use of resources.
It does sound like they do not think he’s there.

My personal experience...my parents always discouraged long drives at night, always. My sisters went to college about an hour away from home (30 miles) and they drove home on Sunday nights, no issue.

However, San Marcos to Missouri City is at least 166 miles and nearly three hours away. My parents would definitely never let me drive that distance that late at night.

When my kid was in college, when he drove wasn’t up to me... Same as when I was in college. Why are we thinking his parents would have any say in that?

Jason Landry search update: Texas EquuSearch suspends search | khou.com

HOUSTON — Texas EquuSearch says it is suspending its search for missing Texas State University student Jason Landry until investigators can uncover more information on his disappearance.

Texas EquuSearch said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon that over the past nine days they have searched every accessible, reasonable and practical place that he might be near Luling, Texas.

Searchers said they have utilized multiple resources in the search, including a helicopter with infrared cameras, UAVs (drones), side-scan sonar, scent dogs, as well as searchers on foot, ATVs and horseback.

Texas EquuSearch said they are waiting until investigators can find more information or another area to search.

When my kid was in college, when he drove wasn’t up to me... Same as when I was in college. Why are we thinking his parents would have any say in that?

some users have gone down the line of questioning as to why Jason's parents seemed surprised/were asleep when they were called about their son's car in an accident and him missing.

I was just adding my own personal experience.

I know other people are saying it isn't up to the parents, and I agree - but what if due to the Holiday's Jason decided to surprise his family or decided to come home a day early?

Could somebody please bring forward the case map? TIA.
I don’t know all the details here yet, but in most cases like this, where a vehicle is found crashed and the driver missing, they are found deceased very close to their vehicle, somehow overlooked by searchers.

Re: Luling, I stayed in a motel here eons ago because I couldn’t get one in New Braunfels for a rafting trip.

Eta / hmmm I see TES has been involved and has had no luck yet.
Tim Miller once said, wrt Terrilynne Monet’s search, “off an inch, you might as well be off a mile.”

Last edited:
TSU to Salt Flat Rd

Google Maps
That looks more like a detour then part of a Normal route he would have taken. but just guessing.
Was the keys in the ignition and were the lights on or off???

FOUND IT.
Search continues for missing Texas State student
Jason‘s family was told that his car was found around 12:30 Monday morning by a volunteer firefighter who was returning from a call. The family was also told that about an hour earlier an oil field worker drove by the same spot and did not see a thing.

And what was the nature of the run??

Depending on where he went too on that run. He went there after the accident because he found it afterwards on his way back.

I would check that area, if not already. Where the off duty fireman/volunteer whatever was called too.

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION. NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

Last edited:
Could somebody please bring forward the case map? TIA.
I don’t know all the details yet, but in most cases like this, where a vehicle is found crashed and the driver missing, they are found deceased very close to their vehicle, somehow overlooked by searchers.

Re: Luling, I stayed in a motel here eons ago because I couldn’t get one in New Braunfels for a rafting trip.

Eta / hmmm I see TeS has been involved and has had no luck yet.
Tim Miller once said, wrt Terrilynne Monet’s search, “off an inch, you might as well be off a mile.”
I agree, margarita25, that in this situation they’re usually somewhere close and just not found. That’s what I’ve thought all along. But I just don’t know about this one now. They pulled out all the stops, TXEqqusearch, drones, dogs, helicopters, sonars, pond draining.... nothing. And their last statement sounds pretty confident he’s not in that area and they need to do some investigating to figure out where to search next. There are some wonky things. I’ve got to run for a bit, but I’ll try to get more info together later. Maybe someone else here is good at that. We’re not organized here yet, b/c honestly I thought this would be wrapped up really quick!

That looks more like a detour then part of a Normal route he would have taken. but just guessing.
Was the keys in the ignition and were the lights on or off???

I cannot find the link talking about off duty fireman/volunteer came upon the wreck after checking on a run he got.
Anyone know where that link is? Im interested in where that run was and had him ending up on that road where the car was found

And what was the nature of the run??

Depending on where he went too on that run. He went there after the accident because he found it afterwards on his way back.

I would check that area, if not already. Where the off duty fireman/volunteer whatever was called too.

THE ABOVE ALL MOO AND SPECULATION. NOTHING POSTED AS BEING FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE KNOWN TO BE.

Re: volunteer firefighter

"Jason's family was told that his car was found around 12:30 Monday morning by a volunteer firefighter who was returning from a call. The family was also told that about an hour earlier an oil field worker drove by the same spot and did not see a thing."

I agree, margarita25, that in this situation they’re usually somewhere close and just not found. That’s what I’ve thought all along. But I just don’t know about this one now. They pulled out all the stops, TXEqqusearch, drones, dogs, helicopters, sonars, pond draining.... nothing. And their last statement sounds pretty confident he’s not in that area and they need to do some investigating to figure out where to search next. There are some wonky things. I’ve got to run for a bit, but I’ll try to get more info together later. Maybe someone else here is good at that. We’re not organized here yet, b/c honestly I thought this would be wrapped up really quick!

Thanks happyday. Making note to review weather reports here as well. If he was cold, he may have gotten under leaves, which is also common with small kids who wander off and get lost in the cold, jmo, or perhaps got in a culvert, and succumbed to injuries there. Of course we know TES would inspect every inch of that radius.

What radius are they using? 1 mile? 2? (Talking to self, marking to catch up in thread when I can :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members