Found Deceased UK - John Dick, 37, missing Marine, Bury St Edmunds, 30 Nov 2020

I agree that the photo they are showing is definitely not like the healthy, muscular, tattooed one, he looks severely disturbed!! If he was worried about his family, why would he desert them???

You can’t tell if he is muscular or not from that picture. The only proper deduction you can unequivocally make from that photo is that he is unshaven, and that is not in keeping with many of the other pictures in circulation. Therefore, at the time this photo was taken, he was found unkempt for some reason. Unkemptness may be due to carelessness, stress or time pressure, or choice whereby he is trying to alter his appearance.

Regards.

I agree that the photo they are showing is definitely not like the healthy, muscular, tattooed one, he looks severely disturbed!! If he was worried about his family, why would he desert them???

Last edited:
You can’t tell if he is muscular or not from that picture. The only proper deduction you can unequivocally make from that photo is that he is unshaven, and that is not in keeping with many of the other pictures in circulation. Therefore, at the time this photo was taken, he was found unkempt for some reason. Unkemptness may be due to carelessness, stress or time pressure, or choice whereby he is trying to alter his appearance.

Regards.

Since when has unshaven = unkempt?

Many people have grown a beard (myself included) during the last year of lockdown and not going anywhere other than the local supermarket.

I'm still wondering how he accessed FB if he didn't have his phone? Has that been answered?

I don't think he necessarily looked unkempt in the more recent picture, I sure have let my beauty routine go to hell during the various lockdowns and my husband being very high risk. I just think he looks markedly different. Stressed, a bit angry, perhaps confused?

All speculation on my part.

Family have said that the police had his phone and it was said if the phone was turned on by them it would update mail etc and that is what could have happened, it would look as if he was accessing Facebook but it was the PD.

What is really bugging me about this one is that this photograph of him, which was released by Suffolk Police, looks like a police mugshot given the grey sweatshirt, background and expression on his face.

So when is this from and what did he do?

8D42FB87-3B3D-4880-A61C-AD88F816610E.jpeg

Last edited:
the picture with biceps and tribal tattoo is a million miles away from what he looks like now. why is that photo circulated and favoured over a more recent one

Perhaps because he uses it as his profile pic on FB and uploaded it there several times?

There are a lot of other photos of him to be found, that's for sure.

The update is John now is seen getting off the trainstop at Dovercourt in the evening of 30/11 which I think is the stop before Harwich International (access to ports). So maybe John chose this to avoid the more heavily CCTV Harwich. With Johns background he clearly has the background to stay hidden if he feels he needs to.

If that was a concern he wouldn't have taken the train at all. Dovercourt is the stop after Harwich International and before Harwich Town. All three are within walking distance.

It seems John wouldn't have much knowledge of Harwich as he seems to have no links there. It is however in close proximity to Colchester, a well known military hub. That being said, John was on the train heading to Colchester (Bury St Edmunds to Manningtree carries on into Colchester) He however got off that train and got on one heading East to Harwich.

I see a few possibilities
  • He went to meet someone.
It seems John wouldn't have much knowledge of Harwich as he seems to have no links there. It is however in close proximity to Colchester, a well known military hub. That being said, John was on the train heading to Colchester (Bury St Edmunds to Manningtree carries on into Colchester) He however got off that train and got on one heading East to Harwich. This is a possibility, however it seems unlikely.
  • He went into mainland Europe
It seems unlikely he would have tried to leave the country, he had very little money on him. Not enough for the ferry into Europe. It surely would have been flagged up on passport control if he had tried to leave. Also the ferries have CCTV (although the police seem to be rather slow at gathering footage, so it's still a slim possibility).
  • He's living rough
This is possible, it is however a odd place to go. If he wanted to live rough he would have gone to a larger city. Far less likely to stand out. Considering he lived in Stevenage, he could have easily gone into London and vanished. I've also not read anything about him taking camping equipment such as sleeping bags or tents. So I doubt he's in the woods or anything like that. He also didn't have enough money on him to purchase any equipment.
  • He's no longer with us
Hopefully this isn't the case, it is however the one that adds up the most. Harwich is the nearest part of coastland to Stevenage. John was also a navy man, he may have decided the sea was his chosen way.

So he was last seen in Essex, don’t know what day that was but glad he has been sighted!
The last known sighting was Dovercourt train station 30/11 evening of his disappearance.
Im surprised by the lack of update from the police on this case, theres been none, no cctv release or anything. John is also not just your average ex marine. He has a background with intel and known to be taking bodyguard courses and part owned a security. Fruit gum anything in Johns fb photo with the ADS lanyard around his neck? What could be Johns role here?

The last known sighting was Dovercourt train station 30/11 evening of his disappearance.
Im surprised by the lack of update from the police on this case, theres been none, no cctv release or anything. John is also not just your average ex marine. He has a background with intel and known to be taking bodyguard courses and part owned a security. Fruit gum anything in Johns fb photo with the ADS lanyard around his neck? What could be Johns role here?

From looking at the Lupine SIS facebook page, it seems they did security work at conventions. My guess is it's probably linked to that. Or they were at the convention to try and get work.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    584.4 KB · Views: 23
We have some cctv footage from Dovercourt station 30/11. 6 weeks ago its finally arrived. Its not on an official police source only family. Ib be interested if someone could post it here and pass thoughts on how John looked in the cctv, its a very clear imagine.
*** John Ross Dick is still missing ***

This is the last known sighting we have of John at Dovercourt Station on 30/11/2020. Do you remember seeing him getting off the train? Did anyone on that night see him walking about in the area? Did he come into your shop, or get into your taxi?

Please contact Suffolk Police with any information that you think may help.

Please share far and wide. We love and miss John, and we just want him home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back