TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this means he may have used a fingerprint scan security for his phone.

I doubt that. Biometric security isn't inherently harder than normal passcode. At least, that is how I understand Apple's implementation. When so many hours have passed or the phone is rebooted, Touch ID is disabled and requires the passcode, so the passcode is the important part.

In layman's terms, Apple encrypts everything when you set a passcode. You need the passcode. In 2015, the FBI wanted Apple to create a new firmware to allow unlimited passcode attempts to get into the iPhone of the San Bernardino shooter. Apple refused. The FBI eventually had to pay a third party to exploit it and that took a quite a long time.

Apple does a fair amount of nudging to encourage all users to set a passcode, especially as its 2FA implementation uses it. (2FA is that six-digit code when logging in or other things).

anyway, if it's an iPhone, there is definitely a way to shortcut all that. I read about it when a family needed to get into their mother's phone. If it's an Android I don't know much about that OS.

Edit: the story for the iPhone is here: Opinion | I Needed to Save My Mother’s Memories. I Hacked Her Phone. (Published 2019)

TES has always said they can only search when there is a designated search area. If LE has no where to point them, what can they do? They can’t just wander around TX, imo...

I do not think LE has any ideas to give them another starting point. Jmo

If you use social media, text and email on your phone, are you comfortable with someone finding your lost phone and having access to everything in those apps? How about pretending to be you?

I work in IT security and am more paranoid than most, but is I found an unprotected phone or tablet, I could learn way more about someone then they would be comfortable with. Always password protect your phone, tablet and computers. Give the password to your loved one if that makes you more comfortable, but you don’t want a thief or someone who finds your phone, tablet or laptop to be able to access your info or pretend to be you.
I agree. I am paranoid about my phone and you would not believe what you could find and pretend to be someone else, way easier than you think. (Pretexting)

This is such a strange case. Usually when Tim and TES discontinue their search early, it's because they received information that totally change the direction of the search (IMO). Jason's friends being completely silent makes me believe there is much more known than the public has access to. I imagine the police have a pretty solid theory about Jason's whereabouts or wellbeing, and informing the public somehow would jeopardize their efforts.

Taking into consideration of what his dad said + TES discontinuing the search so early + friends being silent, I agree - LE has an idea of what is going on and are trying to keep the info on the downlow.

If it’s an iPhone you get locked out after so many wrong attempts for a certain amount time, and if you get it wrong again, even more time
Hopefully they haven’t locked it out for months. They can read the warnings so i assume they did not get to that point
An iPhone will disable for 1 minute after six failed passcode attempts in a row. If you go past ten attempts and have still not entered the correct passcode, you'll receive the message iPhone is Disabled; Connect to iTunes.

A four-digit PIN can be used to create 10,000 different combinations, while a six-digit PIN can be used to create one million.

Jason’s peers may not do Facebook. They snap and tik tok so not sure their absence from social media is nefarious.

that article about hacking the iPhone mentions moving the SIM to another phone to get the authentication notifications to access stuff. Wish the family had tried all that before LE took it all back.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

When I read the following statement below by LE, I take it as JL’s phone is locked. And to go through the process to get it unlocked would take months.
However, with subpoenas they will be able to access anything digital JL has saved to iCloud in his phone much sooner. (Depending on his phone settings & how much iCloud space he has, that could be anywhere from an average amount of info to just about everything).
Also, when LE states JL’s digital footprints as something in addition to what’s on his phone, it makes me think that means what is on his computer (if available), social media, etc...
JMO & I could be totally off!

Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it.

But the sheriff’s sergeant said he expects that cell phone and other relevant data will be retrievable through “blanket subpoenas” to technology companies like Facebook and Google, where Landry’s data is likely stored on the cloud.

Search for missing Texas State student continues days after wrecked car found | NewsNation Now

24 Dec
More than a week after his disappearance, Texas Search and Rescue and county sheriff’s deputies continue to search for Texas State University student Jason Landry.

Texas Equusearch assisted in the search but suspended their involvement earlier this week.

Crews have searched more than 20,000 acres using “every possible means to search,” Law said. He said crews have covered nearly 4,000 acres by foot, horse and dogs and almost 17,000 acres using drones and helicopters.

Law said the sheriff’s office has received numerous tips about where Landry could possibly be, and they are investigating all of them.

21 newsclip videos:
Page 5 of Media Thread

Texas EquuSearch suspending search for missing Texas State student
2 days ago

“Landry's vehicle was spotted, reportedly, by a local first responder who was returning from an unrelated call. In and around the car, law enforcement found Jason Landry’s phone, wallet, and other personal items. They also found a small amount of blood.“

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends
Dec. 23, 2020

“Authorities reportedly believe Landry walked away from the wreck, but the trail appears to end near the scene: Landry’s cell phone and wallet were left behind, either in or near the car, and large-scale searches involving multiple agencies and organizations have not found any more physical evidence of the missing man — even after investigators drained a pond where canine search dogs appeared to hit on a scent.”

IMG_2471-2-1600x1200.jpg

Texas college student vanishes on way home for Christmas after crashing car
Dec. 24, 2020

“Also found near the scene was a small amount of blood.

Over the course of nine days, rescue crews canvassed more than 20,000 acres (over 31 square miles) using “every possible means to search,” Caldwell County Sheriff Daniel Law told news station KXAN.“

Last edited:
This driver who passed that way earlier but saw nothing, how did he enter the story?
Did he contact LE or did LE contact him?

Such a narrow window.

Just really curious how he knew to come forward.

Holding out for a Christmas miracle.

JMO
This is my first posting in this group I wondered about the first driver, too. Did he/she volunteer the information? I think we heard about this person early in the news reports. And it seems odd to me that someone would notify LE that they saw nothing. I am following this because Jason is my cousin's grandson.

Last edited:
This is my first posting in this group I wondered about the first driver, too. Did he/she volunteer the information? I think we heard about this person early in the news reports. And it seems odd to me that someone would notify LE that they saw nothing. I am following this because Jason is my cousin's grandson.

This must be incredibly hard for their family. To answer your question, we don't know that the first driver contacted LE. The media reported that person as an oil worker, so he/she could drive that route multiple times a day. Maybe LE stopped them as they were coming or going, just a thought. We only know that a volunteer firefighter called in the wrecked car after seeing it on his/her way back from a fire call.

This must be incredibly hard for their family. To answer your question, we don't know that the first driver contacted LE. The media reported that person as an oil worker, so he/she could drive that route multiple times a day. Maybe LE stopped them as they were coming or going, just a thought. We only know that a volunteer firefighter called in the wrecked car after seeing it on his/her way back from a fire call.
Welcome to WS @You'reTerribleMuriel!

Welcome, @NancySap. I’m so sorry for your cousin. I hope Jason is found today!

This is such a strange case. Usually when Tim and TES discontinue their search early, it's because they received information that totally change the direction of the search (IMO). Jason's friends being completely silent makes me believe there is much more known than the public has access to. I imagine the police have a pretty solid theory about Jason's whereabouts or wellbeing, and informing the public somehow would jeopardize their efforts.
I agree 100%, It's too quiet. I think back to other missing person cases, friends and family have HUGE media presence. Nancy Grace etc. Even if the news story is just interviewing friends or showing a clip of them passing out fliers. This one is weird.

Ref crimeonline link shared upthread.
what possible security can someone have on their phones, that would take LE 5 months to open?
iPhones are extremely difficult to open without the password. Apple does not provide assistance. There are some ways to get into it, but is very very difficult.
Concerning his phone:
Based on info quoted above, does this mean LE is unable to get into his phone to get info stored on it due to it being locked & getting that info may take several months? But LE feel they can get a subpoena to get whatever info JL has stored in iCloud?
So info ONLY stored on his phone=unable to access
Info stored in ICloud=will be able to access w/ subpoena ??

And this is what they’re referring to when they mention JL’s digital footprints AND cellphone?
LE can get tons of location based info through Google. Google has 3 separate mechanisms that track phones & in fact, some level of analysis may even show what other phones were near him during the day and leading up to the crash. However, unlocking his phone to find snapchat and/or other messaging apps may not ever be possible or could take considerable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam