TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
@humblegroundxx

From the Southminster FB page:

I spoke with Lisa, Jason's mother, and Kent's wife. We want to clarify a bit of information that people seem to be focusing on... Many people have been asking how Jason ended up where his car crashed. We believe the short answer is that if you miss a right turn at a light to go toward I-10, that road turns into Salt Flat road, and eventually becomes a gravel road where Jason's car was. If the light was green, or if he didn't hear his GPS app, then he could have missed his right turn and kept going on that street. Apparently many Texas State students have driven down parts of Salt Flat road before having to turn around and go back to I-10. While we don't know for sure, that is a likely scenario at this point. Thank you to the women in the comments for pointing that out to us. I am still awaiting news of the updated missing person poster but will post it here when I have it. There is an older poster from a few days ago, but to my knowledge, a new one is being worked on today. Also, please disregard the information about a reward in the previous post. There was a miscommunication on that matter. Lisa is thankful for all the people who have been with them and reached out to them over this past week, and all of those who are praying for them on here, on the Signup Genius, and in general. While they would give anything to have Jason home right now, they can see how God is using this bad situation to make something good come out of it. Many people are praying that haven't prayed in years, or maybe ever before. People are hearing testimonies about Jesus because of this situation. That and the prayers are keeping them going. They are seeing God's continued presence throughout this journey."

The previous post has been deleted though. I recall it specifically said a $20K reward.

I just thought this was a bit curious.

My personal opinion from all the cases i have followed is that rewards dont seem to be a factor in finding people. LE typically figures it out or someone comes forward without a reward. I think rewards make people feel like something is being done when nothing else can be done by the public.

In my experience, rewards are offered only when foul play is suspected. CrimeStoppers usually offers $5K but oftentimes local business owners will offer additional funds to increase the reward money — especially if a child is missing or a violent crime has occurred. Fundraisers are also commonly used to add to the reward money.

[snipped for focus]
I'm suspecting a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage, sudden severe heat spikes are associated.. a search for somewhere cool to lie down afterwards can accompany.
Cold water. I'm wondering whether he turned back and went in an entirely different direction after first walking/stumbling?
I’m not familiar with sub-arachnoid haemorrhage, but I’m curious if that could cause paradoxical undressing? I’m thinking of the clothing found near the scene.

Following the initial accident and on foot, Landry may have been struck by a second auto, fatally injuring him. The driver perhaps panicked and disposed of Landry's body.
I think LE would have found signs of a second accident, if there had been one, where the dogs lost the scent along the road. But maybe someone stopped and gave him a ride to town, underestimating the extent of his injuries, and panicked when they realized he needed immediate help. Maybe drugs/alcohol/documentation issues meant they'd be in trouble taking him to LE or to a hospital and they panicked.

I m assuming LE forensics have gone through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to track down all DNA present. I also assume that would be a lengthy task. I am hoping that IF there was DNA that did not belong to Jason, they would be able to ID it among his family, friends and acquaintances that would have occasion to be in that car. Then they could see if there was any unidentified DNA remaining. I am wondering if he could have been carjacked at some point, senselessly murdered, taken away by another vehicle and left somewhere miles from his car. The scent tracking to the body of water might be explained by him running from the vehicle when it crashed, or carjacker(s) forcing him there. None of it would make sense, because senseless crimes never do. The Texas prairie is far and wide and it would be so hard to find anyone there. It is all so heartbreaking and a nightmare for his friends and family.

I am still leaning to a carjacking. If he stopped at a gas station/mart to fill up with gas and snacks/coffee and went inside to pay. He could have pulled out his wallet and paid. The person could have seen how much money he had and carjacked him. His family would have had no idea how much money he was carrying to know if it was missing. He could have been killed and left somewhere entirely different from where the car was found. The dogs could have been confused by being asked to follow a scent but it wasn't the scent presented to them at the scene.
This exact scenario happened to an acquaintance as he was returning to college and the perpetrator was not found until he was arrested on another charge and my friend's college textbooks were found in his room. MOO MOO MOO

I m assuming LE forensics have gone through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to track down all DNA present. I also assume that would be a lengthy task. I am hoping that IF there was DNA that did not belong to Jason, they would be able to ID it among his family, friends and acquaintances that would have occasion to be in that car. Then they could see if there was any unidentified DNA remaining. I am wondering if he could have been carjacked at some point, senselessly murdered, taken away by another vehicle and left somewhere miles from his car. The scent tracking to the body of water might be explained by him running from the vehicle when it crashed, or carjacker(s) forcing him there. None of it would make sense, because senseless crimes never do. The Texas prairie is far and wide and it would be so hard to find anyone there. It is all so heartbreaking and a nightmare for his friends and family.
This is exactly my thoughts too

Unfortunately, I don't think we can assume this was done at all. The car was towed to an impound lot, and previous articles said that any personal belongings were given to Jason's parents. They began searching, thinking they would find him, and it took days to realize he was not anywhere near where the car was found. Hopefully LE did go over the car once they realized he was truly missing. They also had to travel to Houston to get personal items from the family.

This area is full of small towns, and the county sheriff's office has now taken over the case. Caldwell County is small, at less than 50,000 people. I wonder if they would seek assistance from Travis County, where Austin is located.

I really thought he would have been found by now, hopefully alive, but sadly, likely deceased. The fact he has not been found by any searches anywhere near the accident site have me definitely puzzled and a bit suspicious as to what really happened. I do think it's still possible he is somewhere (sadly deceased from the elements or what have you) near the site but not found, but I am now opening up to other possibilities.

I wonder if they have looked into the driver's seat position to see if it would match up with someone of his height. Do we know for sure he was the one driving? I wonder if there are any traffic cams along the route he took before getting onto this more remote stretch of road that would have placed him in the driver's seat? I think a carjacking might be possible; I think it also may be possible he was never alone in the car to begin with. Is it possible he told someone from school he'd drive them to XYZ that was maybe en route to his home (or possibly not even en route?) This person had some sort of issue with him or ulterior motive from the start, they fought and crashed (or the other person was for some reason driving and crashed the car), and they had an accomplice come pick them up from the accident site? I know this sounds far-fetched but as someone else pointed out, senseless crimes usually don't make much sense to us as people who would never do something like that.

I’m leaning to the simplest explanation. He made wrong turn, started driving faster to maybe get to main road and swerved maybe looking for gps and over corrected. Crashed. Disoriented and freaked out and in shock just started walking. He’s probably within 5 miles either directions.
I believe he’s out there I just hope found soon. I don’t believe any foul play, no car jackers, no one accidentally hit him and got rid of him.
This is just based on my gut but I’ve been wrong before.

I was wondering if they dust the car for fingerprints and lift one of his fingerprints, could they then use that to unlock the phone?

if it's an iPhone - no. Touch ID times out within 24-48 hours of last unlock or after reboot and requires the passcode.

However, it hasn't been reported what type of phone it is. If iPhone, the last two models with Touch ID are the iPhone 8 and iPhone SE (2020).

If Android, all Samsung phones since the Galaxy S4 have some type of fingerprint sensor (recent ones have it under the screen). The Pixel 1, 2 and 4 have a rear fingerprint sensor.

I’m leaning to the simplest explanation. He made wrong turn, started driving faster to maybe get to main road and swerved maybe looking for gps and over corrected. Crashed. Disoriented and freaked out and in shock just started walking. He’s probably within 5 miles either directions.
I believe he’s out there I just hope found soon. I don’t believe any foul play, no car jackers, no one accidentally hit him and got rid of him.
This is just based on my gut but I’ve been wrong before.
THIS ^^^

I had similar experience to others who have described car accidents they have been in

I wasn't disoriented in the traditional sense
I could have told someone who I was, where I was, approximate time of day, who the president was, etc
However I had no awareness of what had happened- I knew something had happened, but being hit was not even a thought
I did not know i was injured
I did not know my car was totalled or struck
I couldn't find my phone even though it was in my purse on the passenger seat where it always was

My accident happened on a city street so a crowd gathered around and police, ambulance, etc, so that sequella is not similar

If it had happened where Jason's car was located, I believe I would have walked and walked and walked 'till I could walk no more
That is what would have made sense to me at the time

My experience and thoughts

I’m not familiar with sub-arachnoid haemorrhage, but I’m curious if that could cause paradoxical undressing? I’m thinking of the clothing found near the scene.
It can indeed,there is a huge sense of heat rushing up the body, instinct is to get head in cold water, so stripping could be a factor.
That's actually why I mentioned it.
RE SAH -speaking from personal experience .

if it's an iPhone - no. Touch ID times out within 24-48 hours of last unlock or after reboot and requires the passcode.

However, it hasn't been reported what type of phone it is. If iPhone, the last two models with Touch ID are the iPhone 8 and iPhone SE (2020).

If Android, all Samsung phones since the Galaxy S4 have some type of fingerprint sensor (recent ones have it under the screen). The Pixel 1, 2 and 4 have a rear fingerprint sensor.
we don't know which type of phone.
My question is whether a highly complex security package can be purchased separately, one that is likely to take 5 months to open?
Does such a product exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member