GUILTY PA - Erica Shultz, 26, missed work, Bloomsburg, Columbia Co., 4 Dec 2020 *arrest*

They should check out Battle Creek, Michigan. Lived on and off there.

He was arrested burglarized an Auxillary Post type place a few years back. Him and some chick.

Thank goodness for Erica's friend and the tracker. Still sweet young lady is murdered by a lousey, creep.

It doesn't seem premeditated to me. It seems like one person with a mental illness encountering someone with a mental handicap in an uncontrolled environment resulting in a tragic outcome. It's likely that this guy puts off all kinds of red flags that sadly Erica was probably oblivious to and her personality triggered an actual violent outburst from him. It seems that if anyone at all had been aware of their relationship they probably would have stepped in but dating apps are seriously shady, despite being common place.

It doesn't seem premeditated to me. It seems like one person with a mental illness encountering someone with a mental handicap in an uncontrolled environment resulting in a tragic outcome. It's likely that this guy puts off all kinds of red flags that sadly Erica was probably oblivious to and her personality triggered an actual violent outburst from him. It seems that if anyone at all had been aware of their relationship they probably would have stepped in but dating apps are seriously shady, despite being common place.

IMO it definitely meets the legal definition of premeditation and probably deliberation as well. He took her for a walk in the woods with both a mallet hammer and kitchen knife already on his person. Even if he made that decision to bring those implements on the spur of the moment, he still chose to bring them with him in advance and they aren't stuff you'd normally bring on a pleasant walk. We also have his words from the article linked by @GuyfromCanada a few posts up: He (Haulman) added that something was wrong with him and he thought about killing others, but never went through with it.

I agree that she probably didn't recognize all the danger signs with this guy and I'm sure her family would have wished to be more aware of who she was in contact with on the dating apps.

I would also point out that we only have his word for it that their previous sexual encounter was consensual. He may have thought she could get him in trouble for sexual assault and tried to silence her, which would provide a motive beyond just "mental problems," which is, I'm sure, what he hopes LE will think was the case.

IMO it definitely meets the legal definition of premeditation and probably deliberation as well. He took her for a walk in the woods with both a mallet hammer and kitchen knife already on his person. Even if he made that decision to bring those implements on the spur of the moment, he still chose to bring them with him in advance and they aren't stuff you'd normally bring on a pleasant walk. We also have his words from the article linked by @GuyfromCanada a few posts up: He (Haulman) added that something was wrong with him and he thought about killing others, but never went through with it.

I agree that she probably didn't recognize all the danger signs with this guy and I'm sure her family would have wished to be more aware of who she was in contact with on the dating apps.

I would also point out that we only have his word for it that their previous sexual encounter was consensual. He may have thought she could get him in trouble for sexual assault and tried to silence her, which would provide a motive beyond just "mental problems," which is, I'm sure, what he hopes LE will think was the case.

if he was homeless maybe he just kind of carried everything with him. Just a thought... but, yes, sounds premeditated. So very sad.

if he was homeless maybe he just kind of carried everything with him. Just a thought... but, yes, sounds premeditated. So very sad.

Could be, except it seems they traveled around in a vehicle together. So IMO he definitely made the decision to take those particular weapons with him into the woods.

In addition, the news articles state that he confessed to hitting her 12 times with the hammer and then stabbing her 12 times with the knife. I think the fact that he stopped with one implement and then used the other is going to be used against him to legally prove premeditation. Because LE are going to say he had the opportunity in that moment to stop what he was doing but he chose to go on with the other weapon.

Due to recent developments in a homicide case, Bloomsburg Police Department and Pennsylvania state police are seeking any information on other possible victims of David Haulman. Anyone know of any missing girls that are believed to go missing after meeting a man on a dating app? Specifically the app "MeetMe". He traveled everywhere as he was a truck driver.

You can call the Pennsylvania State police at (570) 542-4117 if you feel maybe this man could be linked to your missing loved one.

im somewhat local ( I live near Williamsport) so I am seeing a lot of the news. This is becoming increasingly terrifying!

What exactly made this guy homeless/transient? Did he just not have a permanent address but was staying with friends and still able to pay for a cell phone, etc?

Can't answer the "why" for this person. However, I know that there are programs for free cell phones, usually qualified by low income. They're nicknamed Obamaphones as the program was started under his presidency. in CA, at least, if you show a Medi-Cal (Medicaid) or EBT card, you can get a phone. I work at a welfare office and there are (or were, but with the pandemic, the office is temporarily closed to the public) people outside trying to sign people up for phones.

As for keeping up with bills and all, some carriers have paperless billing, and some even require it to lock in a certain price. (Like Verizon requires AutoPay and paperless billing to get $10 off the listed price.) If he was paying for a phone bill, it could be one of those cases. Also, prepaid plans usually do not have a detailed paper bill to mail out.

Can't answer the "why" for this person. However, I know that there are programs for free cell phones, usually qualified by low income. They're nicknamed Obamaphones as the program was started under his presidency. in CA, at least, if you show a Medi-Cal (Medicaid) or EBT card, you can get a phone. I work at a welfare office and there are (or were, but with the pandemic, the office is temporarily closed to the public) people outside trying to sign people up for phones.

As for keeping up with bills and all, some carriers have paperless billing, and some even require it to lock in a certain price. (Like Verizon requires AutoPay and paperless billing to get $10 off the listed price.) If he was paying for a phone bill, it could be one of those cases. Also, prepaid plans usually do not have a detailed paper bill to mail out.

The interesting thing is that he had more than one cell phone. The one he used to communicate with Erica on the date she went missing was a track phone, see this article: Police: Shultz had relationship with murderer, he 'thought about killing other women' too

That article contains some new information, including what his texts to her said on the night she went missing. Also that a witness had seen her getting into a van at her work on at least one previous occasion and the description of the van matches what Haulman was known to drive.

According to the first article about her death on this thread, police were able to track him to Michigan after they became aware of his second phone because the first one went out of use around the time of the murder.

I'm feeling the opposite. I think Erica was targeted because of her vulnerabilities. Haulman had 3 weeks to kill himself if he was being honest about that and didn't even make it to a pharmacy, never mind an ER. I think it's all (or mostly) an act.

I do agree Erica may have missed red flags.

Didn’t I see mention of a wife?

Yes, the news articles said that when LE surveilled him from Battle Creek, MI he went to a location in Duncannon, PA near his wife's residence and sent her a text message.

She might be estranged from him but still legally married. Or perhaps she's an ex-wife and the reporting is off.

The arrested person has multiple Facebook pages, but this appears to be the most recent:

Facebook

Not a lot of info on any of the pages
though it does say he is divorced.

His Instagram is @bigdsteel78

Again almost no information there other than who he follows and who follows him at this time.

Reading up on this story, too bad he didn't realize he needed help BEFORE he committed this murder. Glad he gets to face the consequences. What can we do to protect the most vulnerable from these monsters? it's hard sometimes for some to meet people, especially love interests. They are so happy to have someone pay them attention they dont see the red flags although sometimes there isn't.

Reading up on this story, too bad he didn't realize he needed help BEFORE he committed this murder. Glad he gets to face the consequences. What can we do to protect the most vulnerable from these monsters? it's hard sometimes for some to meet people, especially love interests. They are so happy to have someone pay them attention they dont see the red flags although sometimes there isn't.

I agree - when it comes to people on the spectrum, though some have mental differences that make them seem much younger than their chronological age, they may still have strong urges for emotional and physical intimacy like those of other adults their actual age. At the same time, they may struggle with understanding social cues, etc. I can imagine that this makes them vulnerable to both predation and accusations of predation. Their care must be very challenging to navigate for those responsible for looking after them. MOO

Haulman, described as a transient truck driver, had been questioned by police but neglected to attend a follow-up interview after cell phone records showed he’d been in contact with the missing woman around the time she vanished.

He was arrested on Dec. 26 after railway workers spotted him wounded and wandering along the tracks making suicidal statements. Haulman was heard saying “I want to kill myself” and “I need to die for my sins” and had apparently cut his wrists with a boxcutter, according to PennLive.com.

At the hospital, Haulman confessed to the slaying. He used a cell phone and Google Maps to point FBI agents and state investigators in the direction of Shultz’s remains, according to WBRE/WYOU. On Dec. 27, her body was recovered from a wooded area in Butler Township near Interstates 80 and 81, the outlet reported.
Transient Truck Driver Who Met Autistic Woman Online Lured Her Into Woods And Killed Her

Omg hes a special kind of evil. This poor girl. Surprise, knock knock? Ugh. He took such pleasure in making her excited as he walked her to her death. Hes disgusting. He knew just what he was doing.

The arrested person has multiple Facebook pages, but this appears to be the most recent:

Facebook

Not a lot of info on any of the pages
though it does say he is divorced.

His Instagram is @bigdsteel78

Again almost no information there other than who he follows and who follows him at this time.

i actually spent a few moments checking out a few of the younger girls he was following to make sure they weren't missing!!! i'm sure the police will do that too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back