TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I'm sure there's a county ordinance with a policy is to provide deputy sheriffs with guidelines for determining when and how a motor vehicle should be towed, inventoried, and impounded, and the deputy did exactly that-- checked the box, before the vehicle removed from the ditch and taken to impound. MOO

ETA: Adding link for Caldwell County Public Information Request

Caldwell County, Texas
Would it be Caldwell though? They only took over very recently?

Would it be Caldwell though? They only took over very recently?
Luling, Tx is where Nissan Altima was crashed, and the County most likely with jurisdiction over the case. I believe this agency would refer any inquiry to the appropriate source and/or agency.

ETA: Also added DPS PIA link to my post.

Last edited:
One thought I've had all along is that perhaps he was making a delivery on his way home. He would not be the first (or last) college student to fund his extracurricular activities by being a runner. (Small stuff, not kilos).

Drugs being found in his backpack (and that fact being left out of the news until today) just furthers this as a possibility, doesn't it? Hmmm.

Maybe he was intentionally in that area bc he had been asked to come to an address nearby, or even to meet someone on a backroad, to do an exchange, and things went south?

IMO.

One thought I've had all along is that perhaps he was making a delivery on his way home. He would not be the first (or last) college student to fund his extracurricular activities by being a runner. (Small stuff, not kilos).

Drugs being found in his backpack (and that fact being left out of the news until today) just furthers this as a possibility, doesn't it? Hmmm.

Maybe he was intentionally in that area bc he had been asked to come to an address nearby, or even to meet someone on a backroad, to do an exchange, and things went south?

IMO.
Not really, when you think it through.
They left the drugs behind!

Anything is possible, but until we know nature and quantity of drugs, we have nothing to go on.

He was 6ft 1.
I'm just really surprised that TES were unsuccessful in locating him with all their resources!

Anything is possible, but until we know nature and quantity of drugs, we have nothing to go on.

He was 6ft 1.
I'm just really surprised that TES were unsuccessful in locating him with all their resources!

Right. That's the only thing that twists that idea, the drugs being left in the backpack. But maybe those were a small amount, Jason's portion, that he kept for himself? If he was making a delivery, that would likely be in a different bag, not in his own, for quick disposal.

Boo. Where is Jason?

He was 6ft 1.
Perhaps those narcotics found, were for him or friends back home and a larger package was passed off in an exchange.

Right. That's the only thing that twists that idea, the drugs being left in the backpack. But maybe those were a small amount, Jason's portion, that he kept for himself? If he was making a delivery, that would likely be in a different bag, not in his own, for quick disposal.

Boo. Where is Jason?
I'm not sure there were adequate narcotics to put him on the level of dealer?
It could just have been a very small bag of weed.

In regards to the locked car, is it possible Jason was ejected or crawled out the front or rear window, therefore leaving the car locked? Wonder if the driver’s door was jammed? This would be assuming the doors lock automatically when driving. Also, I’ve been in cars that you can’t get out of unless you use the auto door locks to unlock the door first. I always panic looking for the lock. Creeps me out because I always wonder what would happen if the car lost power. Could you unlock the door? I wonder how likely it is that Jason’s car lost power due to the wreck? Oooohhh, I wonder if his car lost power for some reason and caused the wreck? Sorry, I’m going down a rabbit hole.

It seems to me that any sort of a drug transaction/pass off etc. down Salt Flat Road would have to have another vehicle present. Was there any evidence of another vehicle parked and waiting?
If he had a larger package of narcotics, he most likely would have them in the trunk in case of a police stop. The accident left the trunk open.
Was the glass from the broken rear window inside the car or strewn across or inside the trunk, indicating the direction from which the window was broken.
Was the road checked for vehicle tracks along the side, indicating a two vehicle stop earlier. Did he leave the site of a possible first stop at a high rate of speed, crash, and walk back down the road for a 1/4 of a mile, only to be picked up by the first car?
All of this is speculation on different scenarios. MOO MOO MOO

I'm back to thinking he might have been driving impaired, wrecked his car, then freaked out. He probably assumed the police would have to be called because of the wreck, his parents will know the car was wrecked. This was not a fender bender where a made up story would be believable. He's in a odd location. Police come, your impaired, they will know, ask you questions, your car will be searched, they might also find illegal drugs. He's thinking this is going to be a huge mess- court, jail time, school down the drain, parent disappointment, etc. I'm not saying all of these things would have happened, but he might not have been thinking rationally.

This is a young person, who maybe in that moment made a rash decision to leave it all (doesn't want the drugs on him) and walk off on foot, with no plan. My speculation stops there because what happened next? I would like to think he's hiding out alive somewhere and just doesn't know how to get out of this because it's just a big story now, LE is involved, parents are sick with worry OR he got into trouble overnight and has passed, waiting to be found, foul play (this is low on my list). IMO

I'm back to thinking he might have been driving impaired, wrecked his car, then freaked out. He probably assumed the police would have to be called because of the wreck, his parents will know the car was wrecked. This was not a fender bender where a made up story would be believable. He's in a odd location. Police come, your impaired, they will know, ask you questions, your car will be searched, they might also find illegal drugs. He's thinking this is going to be a huge mess- court, jail time, school down the drain, parent disappointment, etc. I'm not saying all of these things would have happened, but he might not have been thinking rationally.

This is a young person, who maybe in that moment made a rash decision to leave it all (doesn't want the drugs on him) and walk off on foot, with no plan. My speculation stops there because what happened next? I would like to think he's hiding out alive somewhere and just doesn't know how to get out of this because it's just a big story now, LE is involved, parents are sick with worry OR he got into trouble overnight and has passed, waiting to be found, foul play (this is low on my list). IMO
I believe this is the case and he will likely be found a short distance away.

Remember the case of Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid- she was last seen at a rest stop adjacent to a wide open field that was searched many times before she was later found less than a mile from where she was last seen. It is very difficult to find a body.

Does anyone have good pictures of the front of the car? Is the theory that he hit a tree, spun out, & then the back of the car hit the tree? I am just not understanding how the car spun out after hitting a tree head on. Wouldn't the tree cause the car's momentum to stop? Maybe I am misunderstanding the theory of the crash. IMO

There was a new report on ABC13 last night. It seems the father's standard quote regarding the story is they don't want any volunteer searchers messing up Jason's scent for the search dogs. Isn't this a mute point after so many days?
Unless this is just a case of a newscast regurgitating old news? Isn't there anything else the family members could say.. like "Please come home" "we miss you and love you" or "please if anyone knows something, come forward".

If he used the backpack like an overnight bag to carry personal belongings like a wallet, eyeglass case, contacts, phone charger, etc., it’s possible the “narcotics” are actually a prescription of ADHD meds.

Possible, but I have not seen ADHD meds referred to as narcotics. Rather, it’s usually mentioned as ‘controlled substances’ or simply ‘medication’.

Narcotics would typically mean opioids.

jmo

Admittedly, I am only through a portion of the thread but I might be able to offer a view from a college-aged kid. I am in my mid 20's now but I grew up in Chicago and went to school in Iowa. I learned how to drive on well-maintained, lit, and heavily trafficked roads. I always used I80 to travel to and from and never ventured to rural parts of the state to get home.

I literally had never seen a gravel road before moving to Iowa. I drove like a city person. I could see myself driving down a dark gravel-ish road that's not well lit and losing control of my 7 lb Nissan that I do actually drive. My Nissan is a good car for city driving, but that thing does not have great stopping power on anything other than a dry paved road and often fishtails.

If you are not used to unlit, unpaved roads, and 21 ish, I can see having a major issue when it comes to driving. Just my perspective as a city person moving to a state with huge rural areas, no way stating what could or did happen.

There was a new report on ABC13 last night. It seems the father's standard quote regarding the story is they don't want any volunteer searchers messing up Jason's scent for the search dogs. Isn't this a mute point after so many days?
Unless this is just a case of a newscast regurgitating old news? Isn't there anything else the family members could say.. like "Please come home" "we miss you and love you" or "please if anyone knows something, come forward".

The father has appealed directly to Jason. Here is an example:

IMO, it makes sense LE wanted their own trained searchers in the area to give the dogs the best shot at locating Jason. They probably still don't want volunteer searchers looking for Jason at all right now.

I took the dads statement as a recap of events since the start of this. IMO

Does anyone have good pictures of the front of the car? Is the theory that he hit a tree, spun out, & then the back of the car hit the tree? I am just not understanding how the car spun out after hitting a tree head on. Wouldn't the tree cause the car's momentum to stop? Maybe I am misunderstanding the theory of the crash. IMO

Responding to myself because I found this article/video in the media thread in which the father describes the crash:

He also thinks it is possible his son could have suffered from some type of concussion in the crash.

“Oh without a question,” said Kent. “Because [the car] actually ended up going sideways and hitting trees on his driver’s side. [There’s] no side impact airbags on his car, it’s an old car.”

Father of missing Texas State student continues searching for answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member