TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a quote, I think from his father, about how much Jason relied on Waze—GPS app. Could he have been using it, and it glitched and became inactive/silent, without his knowing? So, he gets to the crossroads and since it doesn’t tell him to turn, he doesn’t turn. (Or did he make a turn in the wrong direction? That’d mess up my idea.) Then he keeps going, and it doesn’t tell him to turn around and go back, so he keeps going. Then the gravel road gives him an uneasy feeling that he’s on the wrong road, but he’s not getting any ‘rerouting’ messages, so he assumes this is an acceptable alternate route...then he gets sleepy, drifts, jerks the wheel and over corrects, and goes into a skid on the gravel. This is all just speculation, not a theory that I’m committed to.

Funny...my google maps definitely seems to have been glitching more the last month or so...increased server traffic causing glitching perhaps? I know nothing about if that could cause it lol

This brings up questions for me. Unfortunately questions about how this was handled.

1. Why the statement that drugs and alcohol were not thought to be a cause for the crash? How can you say that after finding narcotics in a backpack.
2. When did they find the drugs and was this ever in the possession of the parents? Or was only the items in the car in possession of the parents? Meaning was it missed the night of the accident?
3. Would they have entered the vehicle through the back window? They said they couldn't inventory it because it was locked. Did they look in the trunk then?

I am also wondering in my head how the relationship is between Caldwell County Sheriff's Office and DPS? Might be interesting to look up. (I haven't, but I am curious).
BBM

I am very confused about this also. They specifically said drugs and alcohol were not thought to be involved. o_O

BBM

I am very confused about this also. They specifically said drugs and alcohol were not thought to be involved. o_O

Perhaps because at this point, they still thought that he might be alive, and they didn’t want to push him further away, if he were in a tailspin of “I’ve ruined my life forever” thoughts.

BBM

I'm confused too. Maybe this is a case of small town cops bungling the investigation? I've followed the Kristin Smart case and the campus PD have been criticized publicly for bungling the initial investigation and losing valuable time and evidence in the process.

Funny...my google maps definitely seems to have been glitching more the last month or so...increased server traffic causing glitching perhaps? I know nothing about if that could cause it lol
My son drives for his Instacart job. The other day he was using Waze and he lost Wifi. That has never happened to me, but it happened to him. I keep my eye on him (Life 360) when he’s driving in unfamiliar areas, and Life 360 also showed his loss of WiFi. It was odd because he was not in the middle of nowhere.

we know he survived wreck.
He intentionally left items behind. Moo
He is scared of getting in trouble legally and personally. Narcotics in vehicle. Disappointing to parents. All in his mind. They just want him found safe and sound.
Maybe at a homeless shelter. I don’t think shelter employees can say if someone is there or not. Considered safe haven.
Here’s to staying optimistic!

edit. Just remembered I don’t think you can just walk into homeless shelter. Especially these days. So maybe homeless camp somewhere. If he’s hiding.

Possible, but I have not seen ADHD meds referred to as narcotics. Rather, it’s usually mentioned as ‘controlled substances’ or simply ‘medication’.

Narcotics would typically mean opioids.

jmo
I agree. Also, the reference to "narcotics" was stated in the notes section detailing the Inventory recovered from the crash scene on an official DPS report form. In other words, I don't believe whatever was found in the backpack was his Rx from a pharmacy. LE has seen and done this before...

MOO

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2020-06/Narcotics-2020.pdf

we know he survived wreck.
He intentionally left items behind. Moo
He is scared of getting in trouble legally and personally. Narcotics in vehicle. Disappointing to parents. All in his mind. They just want him found safe and sound.
Maybe at a homeless shelter. I don’t think shelter employees can say if someone is there or not. Considered safe haven.
Here’s to staying optimistic!

edit. Just remembered I don’t think you can just walk into homeless shelter. Especially these days. So maybe homeless camp somewhere. If he’s hiding.
It’s absolutely possible! IMO the wreck looks survivable. Obviously we can’t know this for sure or if he hit his head and exactly how he hit it. He could have been severely injured. But it’s also entirely possible that he survived the wreck without fatal injuries. Unlike in some other cases like Matthew Lang. His car was so mangled I could not see anyone surviving that. He did long enough to walk away, but sadly he didn’t make it. This wreck looks very very different to me. Survivable.

Does anyone have good pictures of the front of the car? Is the theory that he hit a tree, spun out, & then the back of the car hit the tree? I am just not understanding how the car spun out after hitting a tree head on. Wouldn't the tree cause the car's momentum to stop? Maybe I am misunderstanding the theory of the crash. IMO

I fell asleep last night thinking about needing a picture of the front and passenger side of the car.

When I look at the drivers side front damage, I see scrape marks across that (driver side) door starting right behind the wheel well.

These marks look identical to another car (not tree) scraping alongside it. Think about the height of those whitish scratches. The drivers side mirror is gone too, which it could have been missing prior.

A tree that leaves white scratches and NO foliage or bark embedded in the areas of the impact.....

I think there was another CAR involved.

<RS&BBM>
The drivers side mirror is gone too, which it could have been missing prior.

Just noting that the video linked below shows the drivers side mirror at what appears to be the accident site (0:10-0:11). It doesn’t rule out anything other than the mirror coming off during the accident.

The father has appealed directly to Jason. Here is an example:

I am sure his father would know if his car had side impact airbags. I am not disputing that. Just noting that side impact airbags were optional on the 2003 model Nissan Altima.

My bad for not being clearer with my quote which was:

"In my opinion the father is speculating, it is NOT "without a question" as he said."

What I was talking about is his father is speculating that his son had a concussion as he said "without a question". I was not saying his father was speculating whether or not his car had airbags in it. He'd know better than I would about that.

I went on to talk about my experience about my rollover, where no airbags deployed, to relay that all that happened to me and I didn't have a concussion. Hence me saying that his father was speculating that his son "without a question" had a concussion. I still think it's questionable, but definitely not a certainty. :)

I haven't had time to read the entire thread. Has anyone discussed the possibility that Jason was dazed after the wreck, out of the vehicle in the dark walking around, indeed maybe walking along the road carrying the backpack and along came a sauced up [ie drunk] local in a pickup truck, not paying attention, hit and killed him by accident? Panicked and put him in the bed of the truck and drove off concealing him elsewhere out of the area. A lot of reasons someone would not want to be guilty of killing someone walking along the road. Fear of going to prison [likely], loss of income, family, etc.

I fell asleep last night thinking about needing a picture of the front and passenger side of the car.

When I look at the drivers side front damage, I see scrape marks across that (driver side) door starting right behind the wheel well.

These marks look identical to another car (not tree) scraping alongside it. Think about the height of those whitish scratches. The drivers side mirror is gone too, which it could have been missing prior.

A tree that leaves white scratches and NO foliage or bark embedded in the areas of the impact.....

I think there was another CAR involved.
LE would know if another car was involved in the wreck for sure, and they very specifically said it was a single car accident and went on to describe the spin and tree damage to various parts of the car. But then they also said no drugs or alcohol involved apparently after they had found a bag of narcotics at the crash scene. :confused:

I took the liberty of a screengrab from the newscast.

View attachment 277473
Also quoting the reporter who is discussing Jason's father, Ken.

"Tuesday Ken noted he did not know about the drugs found in Jason's backpack and stated that any parent would be naive to be shocked that a college student had drugs in his or her backpack".
Excellent -- thanks @diggndeeperstill for the screenshot of the actual DPS report:

Confirms DPS unable to inventory the vehicle; doors locked, keys in the ignition and backpack containing narcotics and wallet of the suspected driver found on the road about 100 feet south of crash.

There is no mention of clothing found outside although the same has been reported in MSM. IMO, the clothing was likely found by searchers.

I haven't had time to read the entire thread. Has anyone discussed the possibility that Jason was dazed after the wreck, out of the vehicle in the dark walking around, indeed maybe walking along the road carrying the backpack and along came a sauced up [ie drunk] local in a pickup truck, not paying attention, hit and killed him by accident? Panicked and put him in the bed of the truck and drove off concealing him elsewhere out of the area. A lot of reasons someone would not want to be guilty of killing someone walking along the road. Fear of going to prison [likely], loss of income, family, etc.

Yes, but briefly, and not quite at the length your scenario went. Very interesting theory, BTW.

Searching this site (upper right corner) for the word 'drunk' finds this post:

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

I got lucky with my first search. I don't always. lol

Search suspended for missing Texas State student

Dec 23, 2020

[..]

DPS says they believe Jason ran off the road and crashed, but he was still able to get out of his car.

Authorities do not suspect foul play or that alcohol was involved.

IMO, the statement by authorities more than a week after investigating is based on no alcohol found in or near the crashed vehicle, and that this was a single-car accident.

However, I think there's a good chance that JL was impaired when he ran off the road.

I don't know where he is but I doubt he's alive. So sorry for his parents, family, and friends.

MOO

I
I don’t think so. But anything at this point is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie