Zodiac killer / Robert Durst Connection?

Natalie van

Reaction score
Robert Durst
I saw the documentary on him recently. The note he wrote postmarked to the police with the block letters triggered my interest. He was in California going to school from 1967-and left abruptly to move back to New York in 1969. That is the same time the zodiac killings ended.
He loved guns and kept a car in storage for many years in northern California until he came back to kill his friend.
The composite drawing has similarities to him and I feel from what we know about killers is that they murder more than they usually get caught for. Many theories of the zodiac killer pointed out that he could have had multiple personalities. We know for a fact that Robert Durst also does.

I just found an interesting connection going through the time lines and murder weirdness. Any one else Want to dig deeper with me? Or have any theories to shut down my strange intuition on this coincidence?!

It's as good as any theory. Though would a serial killer just up and stop?
Do you know anything about Robert Durst ?
He moved back to New York city right at the same time the killings ended.
He did kill 3 more people that they could connect him to and he went to trial and won. Except the last one, they got him. I just sensed a weird connection to him and the zodiac killings and Roberts killing style and weird behavior seemed to fit.

I could be way off but Durst seemed like he only killed when he needed someone with information out of the way - except for his wife. Zodiac seemed more random.

I could be way off but Durst seemed like he only killed when he needed someone with information out of the way - except for his wife. Zodiac seemed more random.

Yes, I agree with that assessment.

However, we only know about those killings he did to get people out of the way because he got caught.
From my readings they say the zodiac killer could quite possibly be a suspect of multi personalities. Robert was diagnosed with this even as a youth. Sometimes we label serial killers / spree killers etc. because they have patterns that don’t usually change. When looking at a human with multiple personalities I believe we need to think outside the box and more into their minds. It seems like he has this grandiose personality that likes to get away with the ultimate crimes because it makes him feel savagely cunning. Fill that hole in his personality for a while go home and eat dinner with the wife until that entity grows in need. He was born into an extremely wealthy family and has no basic understanding of life outside of that mindset.
I don’t believe Robert would fall into any pattern as a killer - other than what we know of him, but in my thinking that was only out of necessity to get rid of anyone who gets to close to his monster. He will protect that at any cost, which is why people he cared about were murdered. He was only caught by law officials for those close deaths because they were connected to him therefore giving a closer radar to him. I can’t ignore the fact that he was able to get out of not being charged with his wife’s murders but talks his way out of court with good lawyers and using people’s weaknesses to his ultimate advantage. His mind is too complicated to just label him as a murderer who would only kill those who knows his secrets. Keeping them is just one part of his mindset wether he used his money or murder.
I personally believe some killers should not be boxed into categories, similar MO patterns, etc.

Robert was in California going to college at the time of the zodiac killings. Some of the zodiac letters talked about being in school. His abrupt departure fits the time frames. When Robert killed his friend in LA, he retrieved a car in storage that was supposedly in storage for a long time. He drives down to LA to murder her then leaves from San Fran. When he was in college he went to school in LA, he stored a car in San Fransisco, that is odd to me.
Why not LA where he was going to school?
We all know that many suspects have coincidental connection but are not the killer. I just would like to take even closer looks at this connection. Sadly, this was many years ago and many witnesses are date or data is lost. We do have DNA and if any DNA evidence were to have shown up at any of the zodiac killer crime scenes - it would have pinged Robert. But I don’t know if there is any DNA evidence - only witnesses. The drawing of the zodiac killer has similar features to Robert.

Thank you for reading and taking part in my discussion,

Sincerely, natalie

the zodiac was estimated to be between late twenties to mid forties .. this dude was in his early twenties then.. also he doesn't have any MO that links him to zodiac who was a killer for fame type ... while this durst killed for personal motives

the zodiac was estimated to be between late twenties to mid forties .. this dude was in his early twenties then.. also he doesn't have any MO that links him to zodiac who was a killer for fame type ... while this durst killed for personal motives
That we know of. Apparently he's linked to some other potential crimes, mostly circumstantial evidence like "he was in the town the same day" or "that girl went to his store once." But just because he got found out for his crimes connected to people he was close to doesn't mean those are the only ones. As far as I can tell so far, Morris Black was a stranger. I don't see how he had any connection to Robert Durst apart from being a neighbor while he was living below his means while dressing as a woman.

Here are some interesting details about Zodiac and Durst:

*Zodiac used a 9mm and a .22 caliber in his shooting murders. Susan Berman was shot with a 9mm and Morris Black allegedly struggled with Durst over a .22 caliber gun.
*Zodiac was alleged to be in his late 20s or older, but the Lake Berryessa witness who conversed with him the longest wondered if he was closer to his 20s than 30s. Durst was born in 1943, which made him 26 in 1969.
*Zodiac was described as having a drawl but not a Souther drawl. One of the female victims was able to describe his voice as "precise" but neither high nor low, just clear. Durst has a very unique speaking voice, emphatic in how he says certain words, and one that could be described as having a drawl. His customary gravelly sound may have developed with age due to smoking habits.
*Zodiac killed men and women. Durst killed both, too.
*Zodiac spelled words wrong in block-writing communications with police. Durst mailed an all-caps letter to "Beverley Hills Police" that specified where police could find the body of Berman.
*Zodiac referred to changing his appearance in his communications with police. Durst is known to have dressed as an elderly woman to avoid identification in Texas and shaved his eyebrows and head to project a different image when he went on the run. His appearance in early years with his wife also rapidly changed, from bearded and clean-cut to no facial hair and wavy long-ish hair to the weird Prince Valiant haircut he had in his 1973 wedding photo.
*Zodiac was active from 1968-1969 in terms of their crimes. From 1970 onward, he does not kill anyone else that police can tie to him and only letters sporadically arrive. By 1974 it is suspected that he has moved or gone to jail or died. Also important, it is presumed something in the Zodiac's life changed momentously and caused them to pursue their crimes when they did. From 1967 to spring of 1969, Durst was at UCLA studying economics in a graduate program. At some point in the late fall of 1968 or early 1969, he was "called home" by his father to work for the family organization. It's unclear when exactly this employment began or how in earnest given that in his own words he did not go into the office much.

*I would also add there is considerable additional evidence that Durst had ties to the San Francisco area and actually commuted to SF from NY before traveling to LA by car to kill Berman. He commuted back to SF to fly out to NYC. So that already suggests the distance between the California cities was nothing to him as a driver. Moreover, his wealth would make it very easy for him to have traveled between NY and SF without arousing suspicion.

Robert Durst
I saw the documentary on him recently. The note he wrote postmarked to the police with the block letters triggered my interest. He was in California going to school from 1967-and left abruptly to move back to New York in 1969. That is the same time the zodiac killings ended.
He
Robert Durst
He loved guns and kept a car in storage for many years in northern California until he came back to kill his friend.
The composite drawing has similarities to him and I feel from what we know about killers is that they murder more than they usually get caught for. Many theories of the zodiac killer pointed out that he could have had multiple personalities. We know for a fact that Robert Durst also does.

I just found an interesting connection going through the time lines and murder weirdness. Any one else Want to dig deeper with me? Or have any theories to shut down my strange intuition on this coincidence?!

Robert Durst

Ms. Van. I can say you are very perceptive. I have been working on this theory for many years. zodiac has been so elusive that its hard to get anyone to read my list of clues. I published a book on this theory, no one has bought it. I made an error loading and none of the images showed up on kindle publishing and I can't seem to correct it. In my years of research, I have only found clues that seem to point at durst and he likely is the zodiac.

I'm open to all ideas throw them out there! Durst connection is as good as any.
My theory is Robert Durst was born with sociopathic tendencies, his mother committed suicide when he was 7. he was soon thereafter diagnosed, as a child, with personality decomposition. Durst is into movies comics and tragic plays. Most young boys want to be a superhero, instead Durst would choose to create a villain. In this thread are several of the clues I have listed in my book, I intensely researched these so I do have plenty of supporting information for the clues.

Hi I'm new here, There is a connection between Durst and two missing girls in the early 1970's and 'possibly' to the Long Island Serial Killer that peeked my interest. Durst has been travelling under sudanims and using fake ID's and PO boxes for decades which would give him an awful lot of opportunity to commit other murders in that period. According to Wikipedia and few other news articles he may have been involved with the death/disappearance of 18-year-old Lynne Schulze from Middlebury, Vermont and 16-year-old Karen Mitchell from Eureka, California.

Im new to this sleuthing game and wondered if anyone would be interested in looking into it with me.

Do you know anything about Robert Durst ?
He moved back to New York city right at the same time the killings ended.
He did kill 3 more people that they could connect him to and he went to trial and won. Except the last one, they got him. I just sensed a weird connection to him and the zodiac killings and Roberts killing style and weird behavior seemed to fit.

Robert Durst was married in 1973 and
Opened a health food store in Vermont. The final identified Zodiac letter was post marked NewYork in 1974

Yes, I agree with that assessment.

However, we only know about those killings he did to get people out of the way because he got caught.
From my readings they say the zodiac killer could quite possibly be a suspect of multi personalities. Robert was diagnosed with this even as a youth. Sometimes we label serial killers / spree killers etc. because they have patterns that don’t usually change. When looking at a human with multiple personalities I believe we need to think outside the box and more into their minds. It seems like he has this grandiose personality that likes to get away with the ultimate crimes because it makes him feel savagely cunning. Fill that hole in his personality for a while go home and eat dinner with the wife until that entity grows in need. He was born into an extremely wealthy family and has no basic understanding of life outside of that mindset.
I don’t believe Robert would fall into any pattern as a killer - other than what we know of him, but in my thinking that was only out of necessity to get rid of anyone who gets to close to his monster. He will protect that at any cost, which is why people he cared about were murdered. He was only caught by law officials for those close deaths because they were connected to him therefore giving a closer radar to him. I can’t ignore the fact that he was able to get out of not being charged with his wife’s murders but talks his way out of court with good lawyers and using people’s weaknesses to his ultimate advantage. His mind is too complicated to just label him as a murderer who would only kill those who knows his secrets. Keeping them is just one part of his mindset wether he used his money or murder.
I personally believe some killers should not be boxed into categories, similar MO patterns, etc.

Robert was in California going to college at the time of the zodiac killings. Some of the zodiac letters talked about being in school. His abrupt departure fits the time frames. When Robert killed his friend in LA, he retrieved a car in storage that was supposedly in storage for a long time. He drives down to LA to murder her then leaves from San Fran. When he was in college he went to school in LA, he stored a car in San Fransisco, that is odd to me.
Why not LA where he was going to school?
We all know that many suspects have coincidental connection but are not the killer. I just would like to take even closer looks at this connection. Sadly, this was many years ago and many witnesses are date or data is lost. We do have DNA and if any DNA evidence were to have shown up at any of the zodiac killer crime scenes - it would have pinged Robert. But I don’t know if there is any DNA evidence - only witnesses. The drawing of the zodiac killer has similar features to Robert.

Thank you for reading and taking part in my discussion,

Sincerely, natalie

I believe you are on the right
Track. The more I learn about Durst, the information points to him as the Zodiac

Could I read your book. My instincts went on high after I saw that documentary. The main flag was that he had that car in storage for many years in San Francisco. After I saw that my mind spun to the zodiac killer. After that connections were easy and feasible in theory.

I’d love to chat more !

Robert Durst was married in 1973 and
Opened a health food store in Vermont. The final identified Zodiac letter was post marked NewYork in 1974
I don’t know that it was post marked in 74. Wow
Makes sense with the time line that I have been laying out based on his time in Cali- the zodiac- and him moving back to New York.

Hi I'm new here, There is a connection between Durst and two missing girls in the early 1970's and 'possibly' to the Long Island Serial Killer that peeked my interest. Durst has been travelling under sudanims and using fake ID's and PO boxes for decades which would give him an awful lot of opportunity to commit other murders in that period. According to Wikipedia and few other news articles he may have been involved with the death/disappearance of 18-year-old Lynne Schulze from Middlebury, Vermont and 16-year-old Karen Mitchell from Eureka, California.

Im new to this sleuthing game and wondered if anyone would be interested in looking into it with me.
I’m all about this. Any life that is violently taken deserves energy to find the killer. One mans demons have killed human life’s and destroyed the remaining quality of life for victims, family and friends. It’s not right and justice won’t take it back but closure is real and is needed.

That we know of. Apparently he's linked to some other potential crimes, mostly circumstantial evidence like "he was in the town the same day" or "that girl went to his store once." But just because he got found out for his crimes connected to people he was close to doesn't mean those are the only ones. As far as I can tell so far, Morris Black was a stranger. I don't see how he had any connection to Robert Durst apart from being a neighbor while he was living below his means while dressing as a woman.

*Zodiac used a 9mm and a .22 caliber in his shooting murders. Susan Berman was shot with a 9mm and Morris Black allegedly struggled with Durst over a .22 caliber gun.
*Zodiac was alleged to be in his late 20s or older, but the Lake Berryessa witness who conversed with him the longest wondered if he was closer to his 20s than 30s. Durst was born in 1943, which made him 26 in 1969.
*Zodiac was described as having a drawl but not a Souther drawl. One of the female victims was able to describe his voice as "precise" but neither high nor low, just clear. Durst has a very unique speaking voice, emphatic in how he says certain words, and one that could be described as having a drawl. His customary gravelly sound may have developed with age due to smoking habits.
*Zodiac spelled words wrong in block-writing communications with police. Durst mailed an all-caps letter to "Beverley Hills Police" that specified where police could find the body of Berman.
*Zodiac referred to changing his appearance in his communications with police. Durst is known to have dressed as an elderly woman to avoid identification in Texas and shaved his eyebrows and head to project a different image when he went on the run. His appearance in early years with his wife also rapidly changed, from bearded and clean-cut to no facial hair and wavy long-ish hair to the weird Prince Valiant haircut he had in his 1973 wedding photo.
*Zodiac was active from 1968-1969 in terms of their crimes. From 1970 onward, he does not kill anyone else that police can tie to him and only letters sporadically arrive. By 1974 it is suspected that he has moved or gone to jail or died. Also important, it is presumed something in the Zodiac's life changed momentously and caused them to pursue their crimes when they did. From 1967 to spring of 1969, Durst was at UCLA studying economics in a graduate program. At some point in the late fall of 1968 or early 1969, he was "called home" by his father to work for the family organization. It's unclear when exactly this employment began or how in earnest given that in his own words he did not go into the office much.

*I would also add there is considerable additional evidence that Durst had ties to the San Francisco area and actually commuted to SF from NY before traveling to LA by car to kill Berman. He commuted back to SF to fly out to NYC. So that already suggests the distance between the California cities was nothing to him as a driver. Moreover, his wealth would make it very easy for him to have traveled between NY and SF without arousing suspicion.

This sure is. A Lot of similarities...
I wonder why no one took your points seriously.
Especially if the zodiac killer was never caught.
I don’t believe there was much dna evidence that would link him in any way. Unless I am wrong?
I did read recently that they think it was a police officer. From San Fran? Have you read about that theory ?

I agree. I don’t think Robert was a murderer of patterned MO. His multi personalities Wouldn’t allow that. Most killers have them and their entity, Robert had many and I can sense that he liked to get away with things and got off just as sickly by fooling people around him with his deception and killer secrets. I love what you posted.
Very astute and points that I have wondered about.
Thank you for coining into the conversation. It woke me up a little to do some more digging . Thanx!

There has never been anything confirmed in the press that Robert Durst has dissociative identity disorder.

As far as I have ever heard suspicions about DID are because he talks to himself in the bathroom during The Jinx. But that's not DID.

True cases of DID do not involve personalities holding conversations. They present themselves to take on the emotional labor of difficult circumstances. If Durst was a real DID he would present as a whole other personality during interviews when he gets uncomfortable. He never changes.

More likely is he was literally just talking to himself. If there is ANY kind of extra mental health disorder in play, maybe auditory hallucinations are possible. But there is nothing confirmed anywhere about Durst's mental health.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back