Identified! Canada - Regina, SK, WhtMale 720UMSK, 20-30, hit by train, Jul'95 - Michael Kirov (Lewis)

Bumping this thread. Would like to help in any way I can with this case. It’s soooooo solvable but the right person has to come forward.

It’s unfortunate that Canada does not utilize a system similar to NamUs. It could very well help in identifying this John Doe. Perhaps also, this could be a case for the DNA Doe Project. Wonder if anyone has reached out to Colleen and Margaret to see if they would consider it. I’m not sure if they are only restricting their research to US only; but identifying him using DDP would be a huge breakthrough.

I don’t like to compare Does, but Regina John Doe could very well be Canada’s Lyle Stevik.

Bumping this thread. Would like to help in any way I can with this case. It’s soooooo solvable but the right person has to come forward.

It’s unfortunate that Canada does not utilize a system similar to NamUs. It could very well help in identifying this John Doe. Perhaps also, this could be a case for the DNA Doe Project. Wonder if anyone has reached out to Colleen and Margaret to see if they would consider it. I’m not sure if they are only restricting their research to US only; but identifying him using DDP would be a huge breakthrough.

I don’t like to compare Does, but Regina John Doe could very well be Canada’s Lyle Stevik.
I mentioned him in an e-mail about a month ago, as well as another Canadian case, and they didn't say anything about not being able to do Canadians!

The rose pin in his pocket was like ones that US Marines would give to their girl friends, wives, or family members. It was a symbol indicating that the Marine Corps never promised recruits a "rose garden" like in the 1973 song by Lynn Anderson.

LINK:

720UMSK - Unidentified Male
720UMSK.jpg
720UMSK1.jpg
720UMSKjacket.jpg
720UMSKrose.jpg
720UMSKgrave.jpg

Artistic rendering of the decedent; Decedent's clothing; Rose broach found in his pocket; Headstone

Date of Discovery: July 28, 1995
Location of Discovery: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Estimated Date of Death: July 28, 1995
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Suicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 18-29 years old
Race: White
Height: 175 cm (5'9")
Weight: 63-72 kg (140-160 lbs.)
Hair Color: Brown, short, neatly cut.
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Clean-shaven. Stretch marks on either side of his navel indicating he may have been overweight at some point. Believed to be a heavy smoker. No tattoos or surgical scars noted. His nails appeared manicured.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue denim button shirt with a gold crown logo displayed on the left front pocket, grey T-shirt with the words Boca Authentic on the front, faded blue jeans, white socks, and blue and white Reebok high-top basketball running shoes (size 12 1/2). His actual shoe size is 9 3/4.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: A silver rose brooch, sometimes referred to as The Christmas Rose, was in his pocket. A knapsack with some clothing and personal items.

Circumstances of Discovery
At 3:38 p.m., two Canadian Pacific Railway employees witnessed a young man come from the ditch on the south side of the tracks at a crossing at 13th Avenue and Courtney Street. When the engineer blew the whistle, the man stepped back from the tracks. Seemingly changing his mind, he then positioned himself in the path of the eastbound, four locomotive train hauling 104 box cars. He was killed instantly.

He carried no personal identification. He may have been in Kamloops, British Columbia at Padova City Resorts Inc., as he was in possession of one of their T-shirts.

One of the best leads in the investigation was contact from a witness who believed he had been in the company of the decedent for a few days. He described the two hitchhiking on July 22nd from Strathmore, Alberta to Swift Current, and then to Regina, arriving in the Queen City on July 24, 1995.

The witness gave police insight into the habits, moods and mannerisms of the decedent and recalled bits of conversation between them. Investigators learned that his manners were impeccable, was well dressed and well groomed. The witness stated that the decedent said his name was Brian and he was from Ontario. He did not seem to be a drifter. He didn't know street slang, and barely knew how to thumb a ride. He enjoyed Stephen King novels and liked discussing politics. He constantly wrote in a diary, but the book was never found. He used a silver fountain pen.

Police believe he had recently broken up with a woman named Kathy and was probably on his way back east toward where he'd come from. He called himself "David" but it may not be his true name. Police believe he may have been from the Maritimes or New England.

He is buried in the Southeast portion of Regina's Riverside Cemetery.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Regina Police Service
Agency Contact Person: Cold Case Unit
Agency Phone Number: 306-777-6500
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: RM95028159

Agency Name: Saskatchewan Justice, Office of the Chief Coroner - South
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 866-592-7845
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 872

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
Canada's Missing Case Number: 2012020652

Information Source(s)
Regina Police Service
Saskatchewan Missing Persons
Canada's Missing
CBC News Archive (7/28/00)
The Brandon Sun News Archive (12/9/05)
720UMSK

Published July 28, 2020
'He'll be my reason to retire:' Coroner holding out hope to solve Regina John Doe case 25 years later

image.jpeg

(This digital rendering of John Doe was done by Jo Orsatti, a police artist for the Toronto Police Service in 2005.)

Even though it’s been a mystery for 25 years, Saskatchewan coroner Jerry Bell still desperately hopes he can solve Regina’s John Doe case.

It’s the only case Bell has unidentified, and he hopes one day he can bring closure to everyone involved.

“I hope, and I mean this from my heart, that I can put a name to John Doe, and then I will retire,” said Bell on Tuesday, which marks the 25th anniversary since John Doe’s death.

“He’s my only case that I have unidentified, and I hope I can connect John with his family,” he said.

The unidentified man died after being hit by a train on July 28, 1995.

On that day, CP Railway employees told police there was nothing they could do to stop the train.

They said a man appeared on the south side of the tracks and deliberately laid down in the direct path of the eastbound locomotive, which was towing 144 boxcars.
---
Bell responded to the scene, which occurred on a section of CP Rail east of the intersection at 13 Avenue and Courtney Street in Regina.
---
He said the death has had a tremendous impact on the people who were involved in the incident.

“They couldn’t do anything,” Bell said. “That train was moving and John walked up onto the tracks and they had to visualize that and observe that and the impact is tremendous.”
---
“Here we are 25 years later, and we still have a cold case investigator who is working on this file and still trying to develop some new avenue of investigation,” she said. “Perhaps technology has changed, and maybe people’s recollection has changed. Some new piece of information that could solve the mystery of who this young man is.”

Bell said this is the only case in his 36 year career that remains a mystery.
---
“To be able to put him to rest, with his own name, the name his parents gave him… I think would bring closure to all of us,” Popowich said.

Bell said he’s holding out on retirement because we wants closure for family and people involved in the incident.

image.jpg

(This composite drawing of John Doe was created by Gail Duesterbeck of the Regina Leader Post in 1995. It was released to the media for distribution at the time. )

image.jpg

(In Regina’s Riverside Cemetery, a generous community member created a headstone to remember John Doe. Inscribed on the unassuming headstone is a line from Matthew 11:28, along with a brief description of the mysterious circumstances of his death.

“Come to me all you who are weary and burdened.”)

'He'll be my reason to retire:' Coroner holding out hope to solve Regina John Doe case 25 years later

Published July 28, 2020

image.jpeg

(This digital rendering of John Doe was done by Jo Orsatti, a police artist for the Toronto Police Service in 2005.)

Even though it’s been a mystery for 25 years, Saskatchewan coroner Jerry Bell still desperately hopes he can solve Regina’s John Doe case.

It’s the only case Bell has unidentified, and he hopes one day he can bring closure to everyone involved.

“I hope, and I mean this from my heart, that I can put a name to John Doe, and then I will retire,” said Bell on Tuesday, which marks the 25th anniversary since John Doe’s death.

“He’s my only case that I have unidentified, and I hope I can connect John with his family,” he said.

The unidentified man died after being hit by a train on July 28, 1995.

On that day, CP Railway employees told police there was nothing they could do to stop the train.

They said a man appeared on the south side of the tracks and deliberately laid down in the direct path of the eastbound locomotive, which was towing 144 boxcars.
---
Bell responded to the scene, which occurred on a section of CP Rail east of the intersection at 13 Avenue and Courtney Street in Regina.
---
He said the death has had a tremendous impact on the people who were involved in the incident.

“They couldn’t do anything,” Bell said. “That train was moving and John walked up onto the tracks and they had to visualize that and observe that and the impact is tremendous.”
---
“Here we are 25 years later, and we still have a cold case investigator who is working on this file and still trying to develop some new avenue of investigation,” she said. “Perhaps technology has changed, and maybe people’s recollection has changed. Some new piece of information that could solve the mystery of who this young man is.”

Bell said this is the only case in his 36 year career that remains a mystery.
---
“To be able to put him to rest, with his own name, the name his parents gave him… I think would bring closure to all of us,” Popowich said.

Bell said he’s holding out on retirement because we wants closure for family and people involved in the incident.

image.jpg

(This composite drawing of John Doe was created by Gail Duesterbeck of the Regina Leader Post in 1995. It was released to the media for distribution at the time. )

image.jpg

(In Regina’s Riverside Cemetery, a generous community member created a headstone to remember John Doe. Inscribed on the unassuming headstone is a line from Matthew 11:28, along with a brief description of the mysterious circumstances of his death.

“Come to me all you who are weary and burdened.”)

I hope someone has made the coroner aware of genetic genealogy, which is probably this poor John Doe's only hope

Has anybody read the book about some of Regina's cold cases called "Boiling Point and Cold Cases?" The author stated that Randy Wakelin's recollection of the person he'd been traveling with was based on the wrong person and a case of mistaken identity. However, what if he was right? What if he really had a severe break up with a woman named Kathy. If she had kicked him out of their apartment or he blew up and left leaving everything behind (which, ending their relationship on bad terms she would then have to get rid of his stuff). A bad break up in which she dumped him for another man, and possibly being estranged from his family (which Randy Wakelin believed) it would account for the fact that no one went looking for him. He may have abruptly quit a job, if he had had one, out of distress and the turbulence, especially if he were prone to mental instability. This doesn't account for him having shoes that were two sizes too big, however.

Out of curiosity, I checked the unclaimed bank account registry in Canada under both names of 'David' and 'Brian', but nothing came up with respect to the Vancouver or other parts of B.C. I checked the registry on the off chance that he left the area abruptly and of course, did not return.

This may turn out to be a small lead or new avenue to examine, or admittedly, it may go nowhere and just be a dead end. This is in regards to the Padova City Resorts t-shirts in Regina John's possession. I have found out that some promotional/advertising materials which touted the concept of Padova City Resorts (which was never actually realized) were located at A & A Foods Inc.'s main office in the Vancouver area, formerly at 1560 Broadway in an industrial area, which is where some potentials investors sometimes went.

Out of curiosity, I checked the unclaimed bank account registry in Canada under both names of 'David' and 'Brian', but nothing came up with respect to the Vancouver or other parts of B.C. I checked the registry on the off chance that he left the area abruptly and of course, did not return.
Wonder if the same can be done for back east where he said he was from.

Has anybody read the book about some of Regina's cold cases called "Boiling Point and Cold Cases?" The author stated that Randy Wakelin's recollection of the person he'd been traveling with was based on the wrong person and a case of mistaken identity. However, what if he was right? What if he really had a severe break up with a woman named Kathy. If she had kicked him out of their apartment or he blew up and left leaving everything behind (which, ending their relationship on bad terms she would then have to get rid of his stuff). A bad break up in which she dumped him for another man, and possibly being estranged from his family (which Randy Wakelin believed) it would account for the fact that no one went looking for him. He may have abruptly quit a job, if he had had one, out of distress and the turbulence, especially if he were prone to mental instability. This doesn't account for him having shoes that were two sizes too big, however.
Based on the wrong person?! Oh wow, I don't 'get' how that could've happened but if so, that's too bad!

I hope someone does push the DNA angle! Someone who knows how and where to get in touch with the DNA peeps! :)
Yes, they have been made aware of it. However, there are now complications with some of the genetic genealogy sites. For example, GEDmatch, has changed its Terms of Service to make "opting out" the default for users unless the latter changes it by themselves. This means that groups who do searches to find matches can only do so in a very limited capacity.

Thank you!

In that case we can probably rule it out. Freaky though, the resemblance is uncanny

Agreed, fully.

I stumbled across Fraser's pic when I was looking into a different missing person, and my heart dropped thinking it was "Dave" the train track John Doe.

The years don't add up, as Fraser disappeared after Dave's death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back