TN - RV Explosion, Nashville, 25 Dec 2020 #2

Just my two cents.

If the ex girlfriend was so afraid of him, why did she accept his car? If I had an ex who I believed was making bombs and was afraid of him poisoning me, I wouldn't want the car or laptop for fear that it could be rigged.

Also, who knows what went through his head with all of this. Yes, he destroyed peoples livelihoods by destroying their businesses, but considering he did this in the manner to not harm people, maybe he thought business owners would be better off... that maybe the government and people would provide enough help, more than what they might have been getting before. Maybe, maybe not.

Just my two cents.

If the ex girlfriend was so afraid of him, why did she accept his car? If I had an ex who I believed was making bombs and was afraid of him poisoning me, I wouldn't want the car or laptop for fear that it could be rigged.

Also, who knows what went through his head with all of this. Yes, he destroyed peoples livelihoods by destroying their businesses, but considering he did this in the manner to not harm people, maybe he thought business owners would be better off... that maybe the government and people would provide enough help, more than what they might have been getting before. Maybe, maybe not.
The Unabomber just popped in my head. I’ll be interested in hearing about this guy’s earlier years. I worked for a private psychiatric hospital up from the same street where/when the Murrah* Building was bombed. We were some of the first on the scene to assist the first responders. I was standing next to an adolescent counselor when a fireman handed her a baby to hold while he died. I watched this baby blow a tiny bubble of blood from his mouth and die. Right in front of me. I hated Timothy McVeigh for so very long. McVeigh seems so much more evil than this guy and the Unabomber. Evil is evil. I guess it’s immeasurable.
Eta:*correcting autocorrect

Last edited:
Highly unlikely they used his nick name. LE has access to property records, motor vehicle tags and registration records all containing social security, DOB and legal name.

The only conviction AW had was in the 1970s for pot. Coming from the 70s myself, its not unusual. He was a law abiding citizen, owned property, paid taxes, had numerous vehicles, had a job..... until the bomb.

No, they had the right records, and nothing but a GFs word, "he said, he was making bombs". The attorney made clear, the GF, nor he saw no physical evidence.

Without evident, judges will not sign off on search warrants, Search warrants must meet a set of guidelines and this situation, did not. So unfortunate.

All...moo
They had evidence - the guns and his status as a convicted felon!

They had evidence - the guns and his status as a convicted felon!

Are you referring to the guns the GF had in her possession? LE had no proof they were owned by AW, the word of the GF was not enough to obtain a warrant. From the voicemail recording the attorney released, GF was threatening to go to his house and shoot him. It was unclear, if she went to AWs house or if LE took her to the hospital from her home.

I'm sure LE ran the serial numbers to see who the guns were registered to. However, I've not read the GF turned the guns over to LE.

It requires proof to obtain a search warrant.

Moo....

Are you referring to the guns the GF had in her possession? LE had no proof they were owned by AW, the word of the GF was not enough to obtain a warrant. From the voicemail recording the attorney released, GF was threatening to go to his house and shoot him. It was unclear, if she in did go to AWs house or if LE took her to the hospital from her home.

I'm sure LE ran the serial numbers to see who the guns were registered to. However, I've not read the GF turned the guns over to LE.

Moo....
Yes, I know. And I'm glad it requires proof. And I don't think the gf's word should be enough for a warrant. But it should have been enough for a more thorough investigation that would have led to a warrant.

Are you referring to the guns the GF had in her possession? LE had no proof they were owned by AW, the word of the GF was not enough to obtain a warrant. From the voicemail recording the attorney released, GF was threatening to go to his house and shoot him. It was unclear, if she went to AWs house or if LE took her to the hospital from her home.

Moo....

Proof is not required. They're searching for proof. To my understanding. Reasonable suspicion with what are likely to be facts to back it up.

From Cornell Law School (Search Warrant)

"
To obtain a warrant, law enforcement officers must show that there is probable cause to believe a search is justified. Officers must support this showing with sworn statements (affidavits), and must describe in particularity the place they will search and the items they will seize. In Groh v. Ramirez, 540 U.S. 551 (2004), the Court held that a warrant that lacks accurate information as to what will be searched is improper, and that a search which happens pursuant to that warrant is unlawful and violates the Fourth Amendment.

In Illinois v. Gates, 462 U.S. 213 (1983), the Supreme Court held that when deciding whether to issue the warrant, a judge must must consider the totality of the circumstances, including an informant's veracity, reliability, and basis of knowledge."

My opinion.

Moo....

It doesn’t require proof to obtain a search warrant, it requires probable cause which can be found from an anonymous tip. There are years of cases litigating and outlining what constitutes probable cause. That’s why lawyers and judges are so perplexed. Further, it’s not LE’s job to determine if there’s probable cause. It’s the job of the judge. LE’s job is to investigate tips.

Illinois v. Gates, 462 U.S. 213 (1983), established that even anonymous tips can establish probable cause given the totality of the circumstances. Previous tests required you to evaluate the veracity of the complaining witnesses. In this case, an attorney of 30 years attesting that he believed his client’s concern coupled with the specificity and limited scope of the potential search is more than enough to establish probable cause under the law.

Even earlier, Draper v. United States, 358 U.S. 307 (1959) said verification of what an otherwise shaky informant reported is enough for probable cause. In this case, seeing an actual RV in the yard surrounded by cameras and no trespassing signs serves to corroborate her basic story.

And if they were wrong? They step out of the RV and close the investigation. If they’re right, they stop a senseless bombing that could have killed a lot of people. I don’t see that as a difficult balancing test.

Recent cases and real life experiences are even more egregious. One of my clients had his warehouses searched by local LE and the FBI due to an anonymous tip from a former employee that he had a banned gun. Another client had LE show up at his door with a warrant because of reports he was price gouging hand sanitizer. And these clients are business owners, respectable people in their communities. You can read about the nightmare searches routinely done looking for drugs.

If this guy’s name was Abdullah they would have had a swat team there that night.

Last edited:

Moo....

At least in the parts of the voicemail her lawyer that were played by NewsChannel5 and excerpted above, her threats sounded a bit more nuanced. It also sounds like she knew she didn't have proof but wanted to get some.

From various news reports it sounded like she went directly from her house to a psych evaluation. My impression is that, allowing for her state of mind, she did everything she could to report AQW's actions.

"I won't have hundreds, possibly thousands of lives on my soul and I will shoot him in the leg if I have to."

"I'm gonna call him and I'm gonna get him over here and I'm gonna record. Cause I don't have proof, but I know what he's doing and I'm afraid for my life."

JMO

Uuuuggghhh, another. Does everyone want their 15 minutes of fame or do events like this bring other like-minded individuals to act?

So far there have been a bunch of copycat hoaxes. That's of course infinitely better than actual bombings; I really hope the Lexington bomb threat is also a hoax. But it's beyond me why anyone would want to copy a heinous act.

JMO

So far there have been a bunch of copycat hoaxes. That's of course infinitely better than actual bombings; I really hope the Lexington bomb threat is also a hoax. But it's beyond me why anyone would want to copy a heinous act.

JMO
I am thankful that the thought processes of most violent criminals is beyond the vast majority of the public!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back