GUILTY MO - Bobbi Jo Stinnett, 23, slain, fetus stolen, Skidmore, 16 Dec 2004

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge is temporarily blocking the federal government’s plan to execute the first female death row inmate in almost six decades after her attorneys contracted the coronavirus visiting her in prison.

The order, handed down Thursday by U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss in Washington, prohibits the federal Bureau of Prisons from carrying out Lisa Montgomery’s execution before the end of the year. She was scheduled to be put to death on Dec. 8 at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Federal judge halts Lisa Montgomery’s execution after lawyers contract virus | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
Here we go!

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge is temporarily blocking the federal government’s plan to execute the first female death row inmate in almost six decades after her attorneys contracted the coronavirus visiting her in prison.

The order, handed down Thursday by U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss in Washington, prohibits the federal Bureau of Prisons from carrying out Lisa Montgomery’s execution before the end of the year. She was scheduled to be put to death on Dec. 8 at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Federal judge halts Lisa Montgomery’s execution after lawyers contract virus | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports
Here we go!

well that is disappointing---

well that is disappointing---
I know it is. The judge though isn't going to play around with her lawyers.

From the article above.
"In his ruling, Moss said that if the execution moves forward as scheduled, Montgomery would “lose her statutory right to meaningful representation by counsel in the clemency process.” He said the lawyers should file a clemency petition by Dec. 24 or bring on other lawyers to assist."

I know it is. The judge though isn't going to play around with her lawyers.

From the article above.
"In his ruling, Moss said that if the execution moves forward as scheduled, Montgomery would “lose her statutory right to meaningful representation by counsel in the clemency process.” He said the lawyers should file a clemency petition by Dec. 24 or bring on other lawyers to assist."

i am sorry but i dont like that she gets to breathe for a continued undefined
period of time--

The federal execution of a Kansas woman ondeath row for murdering a pregnant Missouri woman and cutting her baby out of her body is being delayed due to the pandemic.

The order, handed down Thursday by U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss in Washington, prohibits the federal Bureau of Prisons from carrying out Montgomery's execution before the end of the year. She was scheduled to be put to death on Dec. 8 at the federal prison complex in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Montgomery's legal team has argued that their client suffers from serious mental illnesses and can't assist in filing her own clemency petition, in part because all of her clothes have been taken away and she's been left only with a "sheet of paper and a single crayon" in her cell, attorney Sandra Babcock said in court this week.

"Mrs. Montgomery's case presents compelling grounds for clemency, including her history as a victim of gang rape, incest, and child sex trafficking, as well as her severe mental illness. She will now have the opportunity to present this evidence to the President with a request that he commute her sentence to life imprisonment," she said.
Federal execution delayed for woman who murdered pregnant woman, stole baby

Biden will likely end any executions.

I hope not-- I believe there are some cases so heinous that the death penalty is the only just punishment. This is one of those cases.

I watch a lot of crime shows and what I have noticed makes me livid, a life term does not at all mean life. Unless it is life without parole, those sentences like 100 years + 15 years means nothing. Too many killers get parole way too soon. I find myself shocked quite often when the crime is horrific and the perp gets out in 15 years.

The Bobbi Jo Stinnet case has stuck with me all these years.

In an emergency New Year’s Day ruling, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit held that a lower court judge should not have postponed the execution of Lisa Montgomery.

After Judge Moss granted the stay, the Justice Department scheduled her execution for Jan. 12. Last week, he ruled the Justice Department acted illegally by setting an execution date while the stay was in order.

But the Court of Appeals said Judge Moss had erred in his ruling and affirmed Montgomery’s execution date as Jan. 12.
Appeals court refuses to halt execution of only woman on federal death row

If anyone deserves to die, I believe it is Lisa Mongomery. Her crime was heinous in the extreme.

The other part of me wishes none to perish. Sometimes I wonder how to reconcile justice and the love of God.

Her crime was heinous in the extreme- I understand how you feel--- pulled in two different directions. IMO the death penalty should be reserved for cases of this nature.

This case is absolutely heinous - I cannot imagine the horror and pain Bobbi Jo Stinnett must have endured while she was being murdered - not only the physical pain, but the emotional agony she must have felt at the realization her baby was being removed.
And yet, there is another victim in this case - not the Lisa Montgomery who chose to murder Bobbi Jo, but the 6-year old Lisa Montgomery - who was the victim of unimaginable abuse by the very people who were supposed to protect her. That little girl was also an innocent victim.
The great majority of criminals on death row have some type of abuse in their backgrounds, therefore it is common for attorneys to use it as a mitigating factor to prevent the death sentence being carried out. It is also true that, usually, there is very little proof or documentation about this abuse which is why most courts toss it aside. This, unfortunately, isn't the case with Lisa Montgomery - there is extensive documentation about how she suffered - and how there were many adults and professionals who knew about it and did nothing. It made me physically sick after I read it. A child who endured so much had absolutely no chance of growing up without major difficulties and problems coping with everyday life.

All around, this case is heartbreaking. I don't know if Lisa Montgomery will be executed, but I do hope - no matter the outcome - that Bobbi Jo's family and friends find some peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back