TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

"Our deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends during this difficult time". This quote is pretty telling. I hope he didn't go out there to kill himself. It's the only other thing I can surmise seeing as how the family and friends are so quiet.. Either that or my first theory that he crashed, got hurt, wandered away, succumbed to his injuries and/or exposure and hasn't been found yet. Heartbreaking for sure... but I just don't see this as being foul play based on lack of info from family, law enforcement etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
a glaring difficulty for me, is why have none of his friends or family come out and said anything? There has to be someone who saw him before the accident and could shed some light on what happened. It's eerily quiet.

I haven't seen mention of a GF and personally don't think he had one (MOO). I also don't think he had many friends which has been discussed upthread. Not many likes on his social network sites.

I agree, and a glaring difficulty for me, is why have none of his friends or family come out and said anything? There has to be someone who saw him before the accident and could shed some light on what happened. It's eerily quiet. As far as the Venmo with college age kids. I can only go by what my own college age kids tell me... and that is Venmo is the "go to" for buying weed in college.
To be fair, he's a relatively new transfer to Texas State, the students there undoubtedly had less than is typical for social interactions this past semester due to covid restrictions, and they all likely went home in various directions for the holidays. So all that kind of works against any kind of organized search effort or responses coming from other students, even if that effort was just on social media.
Hi father has been in the mainstream media frequently - see earlier posts in this thread and thread#1.

I think if he killed himself he'd be easily found. He's a loved son.
That crossed my mind too if I consider the location of his backpack was a deliberate intent to indicate the direction he had travelled and he would have been found close by.
I'm disregarding the bag of narcotics as being relevant to his location.
I think he went to try and get help.
ETA typo

I think it is safe to assume that TES are one of the most highly professional and highly regarded SAR teams in the US if not the world.
They would have checked and not just instigated highly expensive and time taking searches on a maybe.
Links to their resources posted upthread.
ETA How, When and Why We Search
They are outstanding. The key to folks like these that are at the top of their game is that they readily know and admit their limitations.

What about traffic? What were the oil field workers' schedules like? How many go down that road at that time on a regular basis?

I know it sounds like a desolate area, but at least two other people drove down that way that night.

Salt Flats Rd is desolate except for those few that belong there. Luling is a very small community -- less than 2,000 households for the entire area. As far as the "oil worker" that passed the area about an hour before the volunteer firefighter that reported the crash to TX DPS at 12:30 AM, I'm pretty sure this was probably the swing shift man watching over a few semi-private wells remaining in the area. In other words, there's no high volume of oil shift traffic such as the 80's! I've not read of any new applications for Luling-Brayon filed since Nov 2019 which totaled only two, and if any permits renewed/approved last year, it would not be significant. MOO

Luling, Texas - Wikipedia
Caldwell County, TX Oil and Gas Leases
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananto...xas-drilling-permit-roundup-records-show.html

he was driving along, fell asleep or very close at wheel, ended up spinning as he tried to regain control of his vehicle, got out, noticed he had injuries, I think it's safe to assume blood found in vehicle DNA analysis has been returned and it was indeed Jason's own blood.
He walked a bit, set down backpack, had a smoke to calm his nerves or whatever.
He looked around, taking stock of all he could see, decided on a course of action, dropped backpack, figuring it would be too laborious to carry it while going through possibly rough terrain .. and walked...and walked..
This is all I can see happening in my mind's eye from all the information we have been given so far. MOO

The

I agree, and a glaring difficulty for me, is why have none of his friends or family come out and said anything? There has to be someone who saw him before the accident and could shed some light on what happened. It's eerily quiet. As far as the Venmo with college age kids. I can only go by what my own college age kids tell me... and that is Venmo is the "go to" for buying weed in college.

Venmo is for anything and everything. I’m in my 40’s and use it with friends for splitting meals, buying gifts, etc. That said, I think we need to be very careful when discussing his Venmo transactions so as not to sleuth his friends.

I haven't seen mention of a GF and personally don't think he had one (MOO). I also don't think he had many friends which has been discussed upthread. Not many likes on his social network sites.
I understand what you are saying. However, not everyone panders to social media and some people are quieter and not inclined to share everything for "likes." I wouldn't put a lot of weight on this factor. All IMO.

The

Venmo is also used for everything from paying your friend back because they bought you Starbucks when you forgot your credit card to paying a friend back for paying your "cover" to get in a bar to paying another student for a text book you bought from them. Just want to clarify it certainly isn't only for drug buys. All IMO.

I think it is safe to assume that TES are one of the most highly professional and highly regarded SAR teams in the US if not the world.
They would have checked and not just instigated highly expensive and time taking searches on a maybe.
Links to their resources posted upthread.
ETA How, When and Why We Search

TES was nowhere near the exclusive SAR looking for Jason, and will only participate at the request and with the consent of LE. According to their own statement, they suspended their search efforts until LE can direct them to a specific search location.

The "Drone Pioneer" of search and rescue Gene Robinson was also called in to give the area a second look as reported by Fox 7.

Statistically, there's a 30%-40% chance the victim will be located in an area already searched. Especially if the victim is in the water -- bodies can get caught up or trapped beneath something where they are not visible. Countless times victims have been found in areas previously searched. MOO

Search teams work through 300 acres in search for Texas State student
SEARCH SUSPENDED: Jason Landry – Caldwell County, Texas (12/14/20)
The Life of a Search and Rescue Drone Pioneer

Last edited:
TES was nowhere near the exclusive SAR looking for Jason, and will only participate at the request and with the consent of LE. According to their own statement, they suspended their search efforts until LE can direct them to a specific search location.

The "Drone Pioneer" of search and rescue Gene Robinson was also called in to give the area a second look as reported by Fox 7.

Statistically, there's a 30%-40% chance the victim will be located in an area already searched. Especially if the victim is in the water -- bodies can get caught up or trapped beneath something where they are not visible. It's countless times that victims have been found in areas previously searched. MOO

Search teams work through 300 acres in search for Texas State student
SEARCH SUSPENDED: Jason Landry – Caldwell County, Texas (12/14/20)
The Life of a Search and Rescue Drone Pioneer
Texas Equusearch crews began searching for Landry last week. They said his phone was inside of the smashed car. Scent dogs led searchers to a pond not far from where the car crashed. ... Searchers say the area that his car was found is pitch dark when the sun goes down.Dec 22, 2020
https://www.khou.com/article/news/l...ers say the area that,when the sun goes down.
Jason Landry search update: Texas EquuSearch suspends ...

EquuSearch calls off search for missing 21-year-old Texas State student from Missouri City

where is pod located on this map, can you figure it?

I'm not sure which pond was drained. There is a body of water just east of the one house. Might have to go through a wooded area first. It could be a type of frac pond, and I think that land might be owned by an oil company.

<moo>

I apologize if this isn’t correct, but at the beginning wasn’t it stated somewhere that the initial search area was 2 miles?
The pond in question would fit into that distance, right?
Are there other ponds close by (within the 2 miles)?

I apologize if this isn’t correct, but at the beginning wasn’t it stated somewhere that the initial search area was 2 miles?
The pond in question would fit into that distance, right?
Are there other ponds close by (within the 2 miles)?
We're having difficulty plotting the exact location on the map of house, pond, vehicle crash site etc.. original post was speculation on what lights would have been viewable on a dark night from his known locations.

We're having difficulty plotting the exact location on the map of house, pond, vehicle crash site etc.. original post was speculation on what lights would have been viewable on a dark night from his known locations.
I’ll try to go back and find the post I’m thinking about..and see if it’ll help us any! :)

I’ll try to go back and find the post I’m thinking about..and see if it’ll help us any! :)
Is it called Salt Flat Road? I remember there being some confusion about the name of the road?
showmystreet.com
This map will allow me to walk the length of it, I just need to confirm the address is accurate?

I'm trying to pull up a street mp of salt lake road. Is that the correct address @renarde?
This needs jiggling and my net speed is too low. Can you see if you can bring it in at all, please?
showmystreet.com

#2379 is one of the houses. I think he may have wrecked his car closer to the other house though, the one just south of 2379.

2379 Salt Flat Rd, Luling, TX 78648

Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members