Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems unlikely to me they'd be storing wood outside the fence when they have a large fenced-in area and a shed. However, I know nothing about firewood (i.e. does it attract snakes and mice to the yard/house, etc.?)
If the firewood was purchased and delivered, it would likely be left by the gate. Delivery guys don't carry firewood up to your house, they leave it where they can part their truck.

:(i
Assuming a 20% down payment, the AP's home mortgage payment was just under $1,000 per month on the $197,000 home purchase in September. Per the California adoption subsidies shared earlier in this thread, some estimate they are receiving $4,000 per month via their four adoptions. This payment seems outsized because they live in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the entire state.

The city they are living in (California City) home prices so low, that 15 houses were literally bought just to be "creatively" turned into under the radar marijuana "grow houses".

Source: Popping up like weeds: Cal City police raid more pot-grow houses

There have been more than a dozen similar raids over the past decade. Note, that I do not think these raids or drugs in particular are related to this case - rather sharing this to give perspective as to the low cost of living nature of this area. Where can you benefit from California's EXTREMELY generous adoption stipends and NOT have to work much? Cal City. The new form of house hacking.
I missed that post that CA gives even close to that amount!
here’s what i found online RE: federal tax credits- Government Funding for Adoption
If you adopt a child from foster care and your adjusted earnings don't exceed $152,000, you're entitled to a $10,160 tax credit, even if you don't incur any expenses. Congress enacted this credit to encourage people to adopt foster children.

In addition, you may also be eligible for a monthly subsidy payment and Medicaid medical benefits for the child. Subsidy programs have increased considerably in the past several years, as states have worked hard to place children for adoption. State social workers can provide more information on subsidy programs.

These two were adopted in 2019, and both disappeared in 2020 :(

So as I turned on my computer I found my screenshot comparison (trying to find the location of where the Christmas bag was) and I got a haunting thought. Forgive me cause this is incredibly morbid to think about.

The roads are dirt but they seem to have lots of plots of land in Cal city. It's still a fairly new area and I suspect development is probably happening, as there are lots of half-done roads, seems they're building the city out. September would have been months ago, but what if they hid them on a plot of land being developed (do they do house foundation and cement there, unfamiliar with California construction)? Maybe the other kids were on vacation to hide the disappearance and they were waiting until the house was built?

Amateur speculation

Roughly four years ago, my husband and I decided to explore California City based on articles we’d read about the city’s history (in short, a failed attempt at creating the next metropolis during the 50’s that instead left vast, never-settled streets.) You really have to see the city to grasp how barren it is. It felt like a ghost town. We drove down flat streets with empty plot upon empty plot, with an occasional house here and there. While more development could have certainly occurred between when I visited four years ago and now, I really don’t believe there’s much home construction going on currently, or has in the past 40 decades, for that matter. People seem to buy cheap plots of land because it’s ridiculously cheap (we looked up the cost out of curiosity and I recall it was under $8,000) and build with either hopes of living there or renting it out. This article may help get an idea of the city’s history and current state: Inside The Great City Turned Ghost Town Of California City, California

The house has three bedrooms and two baths. Six kids and two adults. Guessing bunk beds in two of the bedrooms?

Doesn’t look like a lot of employment opportunities- so you would work elsewhere and commute? Maybe at home as an entrepreneur.

Last edited:
Roughly four years ago, my husband and I decided to explore California City based on articles we’d read about the city’s history (in short, a failed attempt at creating the next metropolis during the 50’s that instead left vast, never-settled streets.) You really have to see the city to grasp how barren it is. It felt like a ghost town. We drove down flat streets with empty plot upon empty plot, with an occasional house here and there. While more development could have certainly occurred between when I visited four years ago and now, I really don’t believe there’s much home construction going on currently, or has in the past 40 decades, for that matter. People seem to buy cheap plots of land because it’s ridiculously cheap (we looked up the cost out of curiosity and I recall it was under $8,000) and build with either hopes of living there or renting it out. This article may help get an idea of the city’s history and current state: Inside The Great City Turned Ghost Town Of California City, California
I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that so I can get this image out of my head.

I was worried that new development may have been one of the reasons they chose that area. If that's what it's just always looked like then wow. I mean no offence but my hydration levels are lowering just looking at those pictures. I could never move somewhere so empty and barren. MOO

California State Adoption Assistance Program

It seems that it does pay to adopt foster children in California. If I’m reading correctly, the child must meet 3 criteria for “special needs.” I believe these children would qualify under those criteria. For children
0-18 yrs age, $1037 monthly, for agreements signed on or after 1/1/17. Then there is medical care, reimbursement for extraordinary expenses and much more. Was this a business for these parents?

Oh, I agree! It was just SO desolate. I love the desert but this town just felt abandoned.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that so I can get this image out of my head.

I was worried that new development may have been one of the reasons they chose that area. If that's what it's just always looked like then wow. I mean no offence but my hydration levels are lowering just looking at those pictures. I could never move somewhere so empty and barren. MOO

The house has three bedrooms and two baths. Six kids and two adults. Guessing bunk beds in two of the bedrooms?

Doesn’t look like a lot of employment opportunities- so you would work elsewhere and commute? Maybe at home as an entrepreneur.

Per the article I linked above:
“At some point, the Corrections Corporation of America blessed the town with a jobs-generating prison nearby, and canny developers turned the town’s lakefront property into something nice that could be found in any city. Approaching its 60th year since the first disappointed family bought into the community, California City now has two AAA ball teams and perhaps a bit more open spaces than most towns.

California City still controls the enormous wastelands around the civilized core. In any other part of California, these would have long ago been settled by tech workers who don’t mind a three-hour commute for a chance to save $50,000 on their mortgages, but the very remote and harsh environment of the city, combined with the tenacity of its political leadership, have worked to keep the town in business from the beginning.”

Linking it again. It really is SUCH a fascinating read, and an interesting city. Inside The Great City Turned Ghost Town Of California City, California

I’m still feeling as though Orrin and Orson are the only two kids from RD and that the wording has thrown us off to think all 4 youngest kids were RD’s. All 6 are all siblings, but 3 pairs of biologically related siblings. Am I alone in this thinking? Moo.

eta didn’t bio mom say something like “why was it just my kids playing outside” or something along those lines? I feel like she would have made it clear from get go that her older 2 should be given back to her or something.

Moo!
Exactly!!!

Yes, she did say that. I think we can put that to rest, the other two boys are not bio-related to Orrin & Orson.

"We have engaged with a team of private investigators and are proactively supporting the official investigation".

I'm curious about the family hiring a team of private investigators? I wonder why they feel that's necessary?
I don't think they hired them.
They are "engaged" with them. To me that sounds like investigators speaking to them on a consistent basis.

California State Adoption Assistance Program

It seems that it does pay to adopt foster children in California. If I’m reading correctly, the child must meet 3 criteria for “special needs.” I believe these children would qualify under those criteria. For children
0-18 yrs age, $1037 monthly, for agreements signed on or after 1/1/17. Then there is medical care, reimbursement for extraordinary expenses and much more. Was this a business for these parents?
As I understood the subsidies, the special needs criteria is for additional monies over and above the $1037/mo. The current basic subsidy per child adopted after 1/1/ 2017 is $1037-

There are many, many, caring & loving people who adopt children and are not in it for financial gain. I hate that a few bad apples spoil the beauty of giving children a better life.

Thanks for the birthdays!
I was wondering if any family saw the boys around the latest birthday, which I now find out was August 4.
So that is where I start. The family was still in Bakersfield.
Were there family that saw Orrin and his brother for his birthday on August 4th or thereabouts? Could Covid come into play with family maintaining a distance?

Admin, please correct me if wrong, but the author of the West Family blog post just posted a comment reply. Since the author has been vetted by MSM I assume I can link the comment here since it was posted by the same profile as the existing post. It is very telling IMO.

For the readers of this statement — it is NOT issued by or on behalf of the adoptive parents.

"All of the “Parents” both biological and adoptive must be fully investigated and held to account for why we are where we are today. The children involved are innocent and did not choose to be in this tragic situation." - West Family statement

My takeaway: The family isn't ruling out the parents being responsible.
Whoa!!

Admin, please correct me if wrong, but the author of the West Family blog post just posted a comment reply. Since the author has been vetted by MSM I assume I can link the comment here since it was posted by the same profile as the existing post. It is very telling IMO.

For the readers of this statement — it is NOT issued by or on behalf of the adoptive parents.

"All of the “Parents” both biological and adoptive must be fully investigated and held to account for why we are where we are today. The children involved are innocent and did not choose to be in this tragic situation." - West Family statement

My takeaway: The family isn't ruling out the parents being responsible.
These relative state:

Whoa!!!

I didn’t realize CC was California’s third largest city. Bakersfield ranks ninth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member