Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell you all about something cool my mom, oldest son, two daughters and my sister did for New Year’s Day.
Due to Covid, our family ( all 21 of us) NY party was cancelled. My Dad is Macedonian, born here but my mom continues my late grandmas tradition of baking a Spinach pie type thing we all call Peta. It is kind of spanakopita but made very thin, with homemade phyllo, spinach and cottage cheese. A quarter is placed in one corner ( the same quarter from the year my dad was born!) It is baked and eaten on New Years Day, with the person who gets the quarter in their piece said to get good luck all year. We were all crushed that this tradition that has taken place and grown with our family since my dad was born, will not take place. We recently are up to 3 peta’s to feed us all.
Well, yesterday my daughters, sister, mom, son and myself all made our own Peta! It is the first time anyone but her or my grandma ever made peta! My daughter got her recipe and shared it with us so we could surprise her. She even had these special dish towels made with the recipe in her handwriting for each of us. My mom was so touched when we all shared pictures. She thought she was just making it for my dad yesterday until the pictures all showed up in her email.
Take that Covid!! You won’t ruin our year!

Ps...I made mine with vegan butter, cheese and egg replacer. My grandmother probably rolled over in her grave. ;)
ETA... I am sorry this was supposed to be in the food and recipes thread. Ugh.

What a wonderful family tradition, and a wonderful way for your family members to share it when you couldn't all be together. Thank you for telling us about it.

I love spanakopita and I'm sure I'd love your family's Peta. I've never made anything with phyllo--I'm too chicken to try it. :p

I hadn’t gone to a food or produce pick up in about a week and a half, maybe two weeks. I wanted to use up some of our frozen food prep meals, use up most of the produce, etc.

I went today to the middle school. Mainly because that location provides dry goods, proteins and produce. They must have given me $300+ worth of food. I’m already looking at recipes and have texted my youngest to bring a bag & a cooler!

Attachments

• BCE9E57D-7C5A-48CE-A334-04F1587C8778.jpeg
    BCE9E57D-7C5A-48CE-A334-04F1587C8778.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 53AF606D-2A76-4D39-9703-4684C38959CC.jpeg
    53AF606D-2A76-4D39-9703-4684C38959CC.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DA496506-206A-44C2-BEA2-83841BF2BE04.jpeg
    DA496506-206A-44C2-BEA2-83841BF2BE04.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 8DB8F372-2C69-426B-8130-9068C9EDBDDC.jpeg
    8DB8F372-2C69-426B-8130-9068C9EDBDDC.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 92
I have to tell you all about something cool my mom, oldest son, two daughters and my sister did for New Year’s Day.
Due to Covid, our family ( all 21 of us) NY party was cancelled. My Dad is Macedonian, born here but my mom continues my late grandmas tradition of baking a Spinach pie type thing we all call Peta. It is kind of spanakopita but made very thin, with homemade phyllo, spinach and cottage cheese. A quarter is placed in one corner ( the same quarter from the year my dad was born!) It is baked and eaten on New Years Day, with the person who gets the quarter in their piece said to get good luck all year. We were all crushed that this tradition that has taken place and grown with our family since my dad was born, will not take place. We recently are up to 3 peta’s to feed us all.
Well, yesterday my daughters, sister, mom, son and myself all made our own Peta! It is the first time anyone but her or my grandma ever made peta! My daughter got her recipe and shared it with us so we could surprise her. She even had these special dish towels made with the recipe in her handwriting for each of us. My mom was so touched when we all shared pictures. She thought she was just making it for my dad yesterday until the pictures all showed up in her email.
Take that Covid!! You won’t ruin our year!

Ps...I made mine with vegan butter, cheese and egg replacer. My grandmother probably rolled over in her grave. ;)
ETA... I am sorry this was supposed to be in the food and recipes thread. Ugh.

man I need to try and make it
the recipe on the tea towel is a great idea!

In my state the numbers are rising rapidly. Our local EMS workers are even more taxed than ever. I have been making it a point to feed them once a week so they at least know someone appreciates the work they are doing.

I’ve managed to reduce my grocery store trips to 2 1/2 a weeks between. But last evening my husband and I both agreed 2021 is so uncertain. He ordered me a 2nd greenhouse to be able to grow more produce for our household and today he sent me to the warehouses to buy bulk goods. I am seriously scared of this mutation, they say it is more deadly so we are getting even more hyper aware.

Some of the things we have done during the past year is
We purchased a whole beef for processing.
Had our produce delivered to us by delivery service.
Utilized the wholesaler who will also sell to the public more as well as used our Sam’s more than usual.
My goal is reduce any outside shopping trips to a monthly basis.
We are rural so our closest Walmart or Kroger for pickup is a hour away. mid lole to reduce my produce deliveries as well this year by planning a larger growing space and season.

In my state the numbers are rising rapidly. Our local EMS workers are even more taxed than ever. I have been making it a point to feed them once a week so they at least know someone appreciates the work they are doing.

I’ve managed to reduce my grocery store trips to 2 1/2 a weeks between. But last evening my husband and I both agreed 2021 is so uncertain. He ordered me a 2nd greenhouse to be able to grow more produce for our household and today he sent me to the warehouses to buy bulk goods. I am seriously scared of this mutation, they say it is more deadly so we are getting even more hyper aware.

Some of the things we have done during the past year is
We purchased a whole beef for processing.
Had our produce delivered to us by delivery service.
Utilized the wholesaler who will also sell to the public more as well as used our Sam’s more than usual.
My goal is reduce any outside shopping trips to a monthly basis.
We are rural so our closest Walmart or Kroger for pickup is a hour away. mid lole to reduce my produce deliveries as well this year by planning a larger growing space and season.
I wish I cold find someone reasonably priced to set up a garden for me. I’m not physically able to do the manual labor anymore. I’m in SWFL and everything is so pricey. I’d make them a quilt in exchange if I could! Barter my way to a garden.

I had a small garden at my last house and I still grew more food than we could eat. I was always taking veggies to the Free Food Table at work. Fortunately my food & produce pickups are drive thru so touchless.

I hadn’t gone to a food or produce pick up in about a week and a half, maybe two weeks. I wanted to use up some of our frozen food prep meals, use up most of the produce, etc.

I went today to the middle school. Mainly because that location provides dry goods, proteins and produce. They must have given me $300+ worth of food. I’m already looking at recipes and have texted my youngest to bring a bag & a cooler!
It’s so good to see all that yummy food for you and your family! I look forward to seeing your creations. Also any storage tips or suggestions. I am shopping so differently with Covid. I buy more at a time. I hate to waste food. Today I am sautéing all of the veggies in the crisper and making soup. I need some groceries but do not want to shop until I use up what I have.

What a wonderful family tradition, and a wonderful way for your family members to share it when you couldn't all be together. Thank you for telling us about it.

I love spanakopita and I'm sure I'd love your family's Peta. I've never made anything with phyllo--I'm too chicken to try it. :p
The phyllo was easier than I thought. Keep it covered with a wet towel and butter each sheet up as you go. Give it a try! The items needed are not too costly.

It’s so good to see all that yummy food for you and your family! I look forward to seeing your creations. Also any storage tips or suggestions. I am shopping so differently with Covid. I buy more at a time. I hate to waste food. Today I am sautéing all of the veggies in the crisper and making soup. I need some groceries but do not want to shop until I use up what I have.
I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the dried plums. So, I’m about to start this Sugar Plum Bread! I will convert it to gluten free and egg free. It is already dairy free because it uses shortening. I plan to add maybe nutmeg and cinnamon to spice it up a bit. I don’t have chunky sugar crystals but I don't think it will matter. We don’t like super sweet bread anyway. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 797E82E0-147F-43EE-8BDA-A1E282C29F3D.jpeg
    797E82E0-147F-43EE-8BDA-A1E282C29F3D.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 14
DH and I had originally planned a joint trek to Nino's today for our weekend grocery needs. It's a miserable day in these parts - overnight snow, rain, ice, cold - so when DH offered to go after his swim, I said that I was fine with not going out. I had a thorough list and knew that he would get exactly what I wanted :)

It seems that everyone around here has learned about the "good luck" that comes with eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day because Nino's had only one 15 oz. can left and not enough time to reorder before Friday. Meijer was also out of them when DH checked yesterday. Grocery Manager suggested dry black-eyed peas, and DH knew exactly where to find them. I realized that I no longer had Cajun seasoning, so DH got the Louisiana brand - we like their Remoulade. I used to have a small canister of Tony Chachere's seasoning but tossed it a while ago when I realized that I'd had it for years. Other ingredients for my New Year's Day concoction include Andouille sausage, shrimp, celery, onion, pepper, and spinach. We'll have bagels with lox and cream cheese for NYD breakfast.

We will order takeout for NYE from our favorite Italian restaurant where we frequently go on New Year's Eve. Since we can't go out for dinner, we still want to support Picano's Italian Restaurant in Troy, MI | Picano’s Italian Grille. Hopefully, our Governor will allow restaurants to resume dine-in service within the next couple of weeks. There are a handful of wines that we enjoy when we go to Picano's, and DH found one of them at Nino's today. Waitstaff whimsically call it "stick wine" because of the easily-identified bottle with a little stick on the label. Tralcetto Montepulciano | Cantina Zaccagnini
Your plans for NYE and NY Day sounded wonderful. I am a little behind in my replies. Hope you had a good start to the year! I hope our restaurants in MI are able to open soon as well.

I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with the dried plums. So, I’m about to start this Sugar Plum Bread! I will convert it to gluten free and egg free. It is already dairy free because it uses shortening. I plan to add maybe nutmeg and cinnamon to spice it up a bit. I don’t have chunky sugar crystals but I don't think it will matter. We don’t like super sweet bread anyway. Stay tuned!

Dried plums = prunes. My mother used prunes as a natural laxative and fiber source. She would "stew" them and there was always a container of stewed prunes in the refrigerator. My parents would eat some every day. They are good without stewing, too.

Hope your sugar plum bread turns out well!

It is in the oven! I added 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and just over 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. It makes 6 little mini loaves which is what I expected. This is our preferred method of bread baking. Gluten free bread has to bake longer. A big loaf means it is too done on the outside for our liking. Then the middle is sometimes underdone.

I wrap the mini loaves in wax paper, load them into a gallon baggie and pop them in the freezer. We can take out what we need and the bread doesn’t spoil.

ETA: It is done. I could have baked it a touch more as it is slightly gooey on the bottom. It is quite tasty and I’m glad I added the nutmeg and cinnamon.

Attachments

• 8BEC7EB4-1E34-4918-A6E9-75878B1DD611.jpeg
    8BEC7EB4-1E34-4918-A6E9-75878B1DD611.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 09B7BBCB-1719-4DE1-B654-43945181B9F8.jpeg
    09B7BBCB-1719-4DE1-B654-43945181B9F8.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 4F67A98A-6580-47CA-BF7F-309FC8CE2B81.jpeg
    4F67A98A-6580-47CA-BF7F-309FC8CE2B81.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Dried plums = prunes. My mother used prunes as a natural laxative and fiber source. She would "stew" them and there was always a container of stewed prunes in the refrigerator. My parents would eat some every day. They are good without stewing, too.

Hope your sugar plum bread turns out well!
Oh yes but if I tell anyone it’s prunes nobody would eat it! At least not when the girls were little. Now they recognize the beauty of produce and a healthy digestive track. LOL!

Dried plums = prunes. My mother used prunes as a natural laxative and fiber source. She would "stew" them and there was always a container of stewed prunes in the refrigerator. My parents would eat some every day. They are good without stewing, too....

I always have prunes in the pantry and enjoy them as a sweet, healthy snack occasionally. I also like dried apricots.

A tip for occasional irregularity: Stir a tablespoon of molasses into a cup of coffee. It's completely natural, and it works.

Plum bread sounds so yummy!

A couple of slices would go well with a lovely hot cuppa tea......so make sure to send me some. lol

Plum bread sounds so yummy!

A couple of slices would go well with a lovely hot cuppa tea......so make sure to send me some. lol
My uncle in WV always say “Please send express” when I post food on Facebook. LOL!

Reactions: JDG
I called my sister last week to make sure she knew that the US National Figure Skating Championships were coming up next week and invited her to come here for a few days so we could watch them together. Now that the holidays are over, she should be able to schedule time off from her very part-time job if she makes arrangements in advance. I have already been planning menus and will have fun shopping for special groceries next week. I've already baked a pound cake that is hanging out in the cold garage, and I have some specific dishes in mind that I think she will enjoy.

I called my sister last week to make sure she knew that the US National Figure Skating Championships were coming up next week and invited her to come here for a few days so we could watch them together. Now that the holidays are over, she should be able to schedule time off from her very part-time job if she makes arrangements in advance. I have already been planning menus and will have fun shopping for special groceries next week. I've already baked a pound cake that is hanging out in the cold garage, and I have some specific dishes in mind that I think she will enjoy.

Are you not in some form of lockdown BDE??

With the British variant (much more virulent) now being in North America, it's a bit dodgy to be having company. IMO

In TO, we are under a fairly strict lockdown for the second time. Never really came out of lockdown but it was relaxed over the summer and re-issued Boxing Day.

Having said that, 'they' say that 1/2 the people had company over the holidays.

At least two of our neighbours (and families) travelled outside of Canada for vaycays as well.

They are quarantining now that they're back, schools are shut so its easier for them.

Sounds like fun! I am a big fan of the Skating Championships as well. What's on your grocery list? I am making a Whole Foods list and could use some inspirations. And of course a good reason ( Figure Skating TV Party!) to make a TV event with Mr. Pirate, complete with a spread.

Are you not in some form of lockdown BDE??...

Not locked-down, but many schools remain closed, and some types of businesses are closed, i.e. no inside dining at restaurants, no group exercise classes at gyms, etc. My sister lives about an hour away. She lives alone, and other than a limited part-time job and grocery runs, she spends most of her time at home. We went to her home before Christmas because she had to work on Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, so she couldn't come here.

Sounds like fun! I am a big fan of the Skating Championships as well. What's on your grocery list? I am making a Whole Foods list and could use some inspirations. And of course a good reason ( Figure Skating TV Party!) to make a TV event with Mr. Pirate, complete with a spread.

I made a list of foods that I know my sister will enjoy. She makes a cheesy potato casserole with OreIda potatoes for holidays, so I am planning a brunch dish called "Lorraine Potatoes" with bacon and "Lorraine" Swiss cheese. Note: The "name" is significant ;) She also likes Boar's Head hummus, so I will get a few different varieties; I make my own pita chips. I have been thinking about making Turkey Shepherd's Pie or Turkey Stroganoff and might do that while my sister's visiting. A pasta dish, for sure, maybe Pasta Puttanesca. DH and I are not into Danish or coffee cake, but I will probably get one of these at Nino's for my sister's sweet tooth. Since we didn't have our usual summer family get-togethers, I'm thinking that my sister might like DH to grill burgers or chicken. I'll ask her for suggestions before I make my trek to Nino's.

When I spoke with my sister on Sunday, she mentioned that she had checked out the skating schedule, as had I. She said, "One of the competitions doesn't start until late. Are you sure you're going to be able to stay awake?" LOL! I said that I'd make sure that I have more coffee than usual that morning :D DH and I usually go to bed at 10:00, and we've both always been morning people. I reminded my sister that I had gotten up at 4:00AM so that I could watch Tara Lipinski's Gold Medal performance at the 1998 Olympics. I didn't want to wait to see the Ladies' finals on prime time TV that night and didn't want to hear about who had won beforehand. My sister liked Michelle Kwan, but I was confident that Tara would skate to win, and she did just that :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members