TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone from Texas on here that may be able to shed some light? I am reading articles about illegal dumping of frack fluid on country roads under the cover of darkness. It is illegal and a big problem in Texas from what I am reading. I have considered the possibility that he came upon a big tanker spewing frack fluid and may have spun out on the road trying to miss the truck. I am stumped as to why tracker dogs all tracked to the pond and then seemed to come up empty? I think this is correct about the dogs? What are fines like [how much $] when they are fined for illegal dumping? Are there companies that have a lot to lose if they are caught illegally dumping? Just wondering if Jason may have witnessed a dump and someone silenced him. If they put him in one of the big injection well tanks, I don't know how they'd ever know where to look for him. It looks like Texas has many, many injection wells and I don't know how LE would ever know where to start looking. What a depressing thought.
I think it would have been obvious to the emergency personnel showing up to the accident if anything had been dumped on the road. It doesn't evaporate immediately.

Agreed, @happyday. Jason is an adult at college who maintains his own daily schedule. It’s reasonable to think that all of the following are true statements:
  1. Jason was planning to go home for the holidays and this was known by his parents and, obviously, by Jason.
  2. Jason and his parents had not communicated as to the exact timing of when Jason was planning to drive home, or Jason changed his schedule for unknown reasons (picked up an extra work shift, for instance, and decided to leave immediately after that instead of waiting) and didn’t notify his parents .
  3. When Jason’s parents were woken up by LE calling about the accident, they assumed that Jason had been heading home due to the accident location and #1 and #2 above.
  4. Jason may have been heading home and went off-track for unknown reasons; he may have planned to stop near that location, then resume his drive home; or he may have planned to be in that location for another purpose, then return to San Marcos before going home for the holidays.
I personally believe that Jason was heading home and went off-course / missed the turn. JMO.

Jason planning a side trip that his parents were not aware of is also possible, fits known facts, and does NOT insinuate anything negative about anyone’s integrity, including Jason’s.

JMO IMHO MOO etc
Thank you @ElementalLaura for the concise summary. Usually the simplest explanations often turn out to be correct. I think a lot of the wilder theories started percolating after the news story about narcotics found in the backpack (with the irresponsible "filled with..." teaser headline). It was most probably just a personal stash of relatively benign nature, and with little relevance to other events, but it threw another wild card out there.

Sort of. If they're circling high it usually a warm sunny day and they've caught an updraft and just enjoying the ease of flying....

If they're circling a bit lower to the ground .... they're spotting out their place at the food table. And if you see several fly up at one time, their supper has been disturbed and they're trying to escape. Usually they'll circle it a time or two then land again once its safe to do so.

If they're gathered in tree's (we call it a buzzard convention) then they've either eaten or are waiting.

It's how we know if an animal is deceased in our back pasture.

And they STINK. Oh mercy they smell worse than a skunk.
OMG thank you for the information. Now I know why when I run by a nearby cell tower that is home to hundreds of vultures, it smells SO BAD! Ugh. I kept wondering if there were dead bodies around there or something, but it must just be the vultures!

Also I can confirm that they absolutely DO sometimes circle around dead things. When I see a bunch of them together, whether it be in the air or on the ground there is usually a carcass of some sort close by.

OMG thank you for the information. Now I know why when I run by a nearby cell tower that is home to hundreds of vultures, it smells SO BAD! Ugh. I kept wondering if there were dead bodies around there or something, but it must just be the vultures!

Also I can confirm that they absolutely DO sometimes circle around dead things. When I see a bunch of them together, whether it be in the air or on the ground there is usually a carcass of some sort close by.

Vultures absolutely will eat people. They were present at the site where Hannah Graham had been left at the rear of the vacant house in Virginia. Very little of her remained. Just tragic:(

<modsnip>
Maybe this double homicide could possibly speak to the general crime in Luling, but IDK b/c it was a crazy guy who thought they were aliens when he shot and killed them. And he was arrested so obviously it isn’t directly related to JL’s disappearance. I never saw if that suspect was mentally disturbed or on drugs or what, but if it was drugs then maybe I could see that sort of connection just with a drug and crime problem in the area.

18-year-old volunteer firefighter and younger cousin killed Tuesday night by man who thought he was being chased by aliens, police say | kens5.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Vultures absolutely will eat people. They were present at the site where Hannah Graham had been left at the rear of the vacant house in Virginia. Very little of her remained. Just tragic:(

No one said that vultures won’t eat people. Just that they tend to land and get down to business—they circle endlessly when they’re using the air currents.

And the Hannah Graham case is the only one where I’ve noticed vultures mentioned—and in that case, it was people saying after she was found: “Oh, so that’s why the vultures were down there!”

No one said that vultures won’t eat people. Just that they tend to land and get down to business—they circle endlessly when they’re using the air currents.

And the Hannah Graham case is the only one where I’ve noticed vultures mentioned—and in that case, it was people saying after she was found: “Oh, so that’s why the vultures were down there!”

And who knows if that is true. When a person is high-profile missing and you see vultures, just keep walking, don’t tell anyone...? And then claim to have seen them...

Maybe that double homicide could possibly speak to the general crime in Luling, but IDK b/c it was a crazy guy who thought they were aliens when he shot and killed them. And he was arrested so obviously it isn’t directly related to JL’s disappearance. I never saw if that suspect was mentally disturbed or on drugs or what, but if it was drugs then maybe I could see that sort of connection just with a drug and crime problem in the area.

18-year-old volunteer firefighter and younger cousin killed Tuesday night by man who thought he was being chased by aliens, police say | kens5.com
In the case of the double homicide last June 2020, it was the defendant's own brothers that told LE that their brother told them he shot two aliens he believed chasing him. I think this tragedy was a one-off by somebody with mental illness. I also note his bond was set at only $500,000.

I am not trying to be argumentative or split hairs.

I am going to link again the venmo but not include a screenshot. Not trying to rehash this at all, just want to have it linked.
Jason Landry
Just to clarify .. like FB, members are not allowed to copy/quote/screenshot from a victim's FB account or discuss comments by others on the victim's social media account. A link would have been okay because, like FB, members know not to bring the names of innocents into the discussion on this board, but a screenshot brings the names of innocent people directly onto Websleuths. Members started discussing this person as a potential POI and that is not allowed.

Such a powerful and honest and heart rending talk.
I volunteer to assist him in any action against a journalist.. 'filled with narcotics' based upon nothing.
I imagine if Jason was anything like his parents, he was a seriously lovely guy.

Three full weeks and they are as mystified as us.
I just feel a huge need right now to do everything in my power to spare them further torture from cruel people whose words are like salt in their open bleeding wounds.

I pray their son can be located sooner rather than later so they can begin their path to catharsis.
What an awful end to an awful year.
Christmas!
Their child!
And a cruel media torturing them with impunity.
ITA kitty, beautifully stated.

IMHO

They have carried out DNA testing on his car.
There is nothing to suggest it wasn't himself driving it.
Have the DNA results been finished testing? Have investigators confirmed the lab results are solely JL's? I've seen nothing confirmned or even if the analysis has been completed. Links please if you wouldn't mind?

MSM have reported that DNA testing was carried out on the vehicle. You will find links to those reports in the two threads here. You will also find them upon google search.
If somebody else was driving the vehicle and he was not as has been suggested here, LE will be aware of that and may or may not inform the public.
In other words, they are taking care of it and at the moment there is no evidence suggesting that somebody else was driving, that he was not there at all or all other rumors that cannot be substantiated.

I totally agree with your theory.

Jason wrecks car, he’s injured & not thinking clearly. He grabs his backpack as he gets out of the car. Eventually starts digging through it trying to find his phone, tossing stuff about (again, not thinking clearly) & may even realize its somewhere in the car...BUT car is locked, so he starts walking back the way he came. He eventually drops the backpack because he’s injured and either goes until he can’t anymore or finds a place to ‘hull’ up & sadly he just hasn’t been found yet.

As far as why he ended up on Salt Flat Rd, I don’t have a clue. Possibly he made a wrong turn going home that night. He’s a 21 yr old college kid who instead of doing the sensible thing and turn around, he just kept going. Or he may have been down that way intentionally for a number of reasons.

But I honestly believe Jason wrecked his car, wandered off, and will eventually be found somewhere close by. MOO

not completely the same but that’s what people thought about maura murray too.

They have not disclosed any details of their investigations.

<modsnip>

Here's an example of details disclosed about the investigation:

"[Sheriff's Sgt. William] Miller said that his department is focusing on Landry’s digital footprint and his cell phone, which was returned to his family, along with additional personal belongings that were not initially processed as evidence by the Texas Department of Public Service or state police. Sheriff’s deputies traveled to the Houston area on Wednesday to meet with Landry’s relatives and retrieve some items of evidence that had been in the missing man’s vehicle. Miller said that Landry’s cell phone is locked, and because of the type of security code he uses, it may take months to unlock it."

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends – Crime Online
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry face hurdles as physical search ends

My opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure this has already been asked but I didn't see it. If the first person went by and didn't see his car and then the second person comes along an hour later and sees & notifies police of the accident, how far could he have made it walking in less than an hour? My assumption is that the accident happened a little while after the first person went by the site because I would think he'd have seen/noticed someone behind him? I wonder if the second person was travelling in the direction towards Jason's car and if Jason was walking back towards where he came from, wouldn't they have seen each other? I'm hoping my thoughts are making sense. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa