MS MS - Jessica Stacks, 28, missing from boat on Tallahatchie River, 1 Jan 2021

I grew up in MS with a brother, dad, and friends who hunt, and I have never heard of hunting like this from a boat. I suppose it's doable, but I have lots of questions about this one.

Unfortunately, I've never been on the Tallahatchie to better describe what it's like. I would assume that all the critters one encounters in other river areas of MS would be the same on this river, regardless that it's winter, so not reporting her missing until 10pm is real shady. Snakes, spiders, possible alligators. Not to mention it's in the 30's right now! I would NEVER. *Shiver.*

Thanks @SimplyCass for the date typo notification! One of these days, I'm gonna get it all correct when I start a thread. I'm obviously not in this new year yet. ;)

Times are tough and folks do what they gotta do to eat but this kind of huntin is new to an ol country gal like me. No mention of a firearm yet there had to be one if they expected to get a deer or hog. Getting out of the boat to walk with river bottom without a weapon when that's what you came for doesn't make much sense now, does it? There is MUCH more to this story than what we've been told so far, I do believe. I'm afraid much of it bodes no good outcome for our missing lady.

I just have a big problem with the story told by the BF.
I guess we are to believe that the man who helped them launch the boat and was suppose to pick them up, had no phone. Surely the man handed the phone over to LE. No telling what they can find out on that phone. Even if it has been deleted, maybe they will have the phone company get the information.

Times are tough and folks do what they gotta do to eat but this kind of huntin is new to an ol country gal like me. No mention of a firearm yet there had to be one if they expected to get a deer or hog. Getting out of the boat to walk with river bottom without a weapon when that's what you came for doesn't make much sense now, does it? There is MUCH more to this story than what we've been told so far, I do believe. I'm afraid much of it bodes no good outcome for our missing lady.
ITA! I’m gonna ask hubby when he gets home, but it sure sounds like that would be illegal? Unless of course they had proper hunting licenses and all. I guess I need to do some research.

Let's assume that sunrise in Enterprise, MS, was about 7 A.M. on Friday, Jan. 1, 2021. Her companion, Mr. Baggett, didn't report her missing until 10 P.M. -- that's 15 hours after they embarked on their river expedition that morning. What was he doing for 15 hours? That is insanity. He had a phone to contact -- anyone -- to help find her before 10 P.M.

What time did she bail out of the boat? He had to know, he had a phone with him. If you are in a relationship with someone, wouldn't you expect them to have your back? I can imagine that some sort of argument broke out between them. It had to have been a pretty serious argument to cause her to plunge into the dismal swamp, rather than stay in the boat with him. (IMO)

Where’s the guy that helped them launch the boat?

Did they launch the boat at a boat ramp?

Why did they need help launching what was probably a small flat bottom boat? Two people should have been able to handle that.
And who goes out without at least a trolling motor on a swollen river?

Do we know what time they put the boat in the water?

(It’s illegal to hunt deer at night)

RSBM... I would assume that all the critters one encounters in other river areas of MS would be the same on this river, regardless that it's winter, so not reporting her missing until 10pm is real shady. Snakes, spiders, possible alligators. Not to mention it's in the 30's right now! I would NEVER. *Shiver.*
;)
My thoughts exactly! All I could think was - she's going wading in those waters, she's likely to run into a mean cottonmouth snake! I didn't even think about gators....

I grew up in MS with a brother, dad, and friends who hunt, and I have never heard of hunting like this from a boat. I suppose it's doable, but I have lots of questions about this one.

Unfortunately, I've never been on the Tallahatchie to better describe what it's like. I would assume that all the critters one encounters in other river areas of MS would be the same on this river, regardless that it's winter, so not reporting her missing until 10pm is real shady. Snakes, spiders, possible alligators. Not to mention it's in the 30's right now! I would NEVER. *Shiver.*

Thanks @SimplyCass for the date typo notification! One of these days, I'm gonna get it all correct when I start a thread. I'm obviously not in this new year yet. ;)
Are there really alligators that far north in Mississippi? This is probably less than 50 miles from the Tennessee border.

From the very first article:
Stacks had a coat, which searchers found apparently discarded, but probably was not dressed warmly enough for the weather the past two nights.

The word discarded doesn't sit right with me.

I can't see any logical reason to get out of a boat into the water to "walk back the bottoms" except to escape. That's if she was ever in the boat (alive) to begin with.

Yeah. But what about the "footprints"? I think they could have belonged to anyone (or anything), or maybe they were mistaken to be footprints. (IMO)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back