Found Deceased CO - Christine Cummings, 32, possibly hiking, Fort Collins, 29 Dec 2020

How sad for Christine :(. I know her pain. TBH, there was a time in my life (when I was also separated from my exH) that I contemplated leaving earth in this exact way, including the sleeping bag. I feel sad for Christine that she couldn't pull herself out of her heartbreak in time :(.

Dog?
So she did not have a dog with her?
@moonriverfarm Seems the dog was not/may not have been CC's.

My post 54 w link to pic of CC w doggo speculated that dog's location might provide clues to her location.

@Seattle1 post 63: "Other than the undated photo referenced, I've seen no evidence or reports that CC owned a dog...."

Maybe someone has evidence or reports one way or the other. I do not. Anyone w anything further?

Update: 3 p.m. Feb. 10: The Larimer County Coroner's Office confirmed Christine Cummings died by suicide. It is the Coloradoan's policy to not report the manner of death in these cases.

On Tuesday afternoon, a utility worker reported a vehicle matching the description of the Fort Collins woman's black Jeep parked at the Emmaline Lake Trailhead, according to a Fort Collins Police Services release. The trailhead is about 3 miles north of the Colorado State University Mountain Campus and about 50 driving miles west of Fort Collins.

Searchers found the body Wednesday morning 3.5 miles up the trail and about 25 feet from the trail, according to police.

The news of Cummings' death hit her friends hard.

"For five days we dreaded getting this news,'' said Katelyn Holmes-Taggart, who met Cummings through a church group while Cummings was going to graduate school in Washington, D.C. "And no matter how much you try to prepare yourself for it, you can't. I just want Christine to know that we tried, tried so hard to be there when she needed us. I just hope that she knew we loved her and that where they found her there was a beautiful view because she loved the outdoors.''

Friend Holly Roberts, who met Cummings with Holmes-Taggart, said as sad as the ending is, she's thankful their friend was found.

"We have faith in God so we were hoping for a miracle,'' Roberts said. "And now that the sleepless, anxious nights are over, we move to reflect on who Christine was and celebrate that we had the opportunity to have her in our lives.''

Roberts said she and Holmes-Taggart hope to travel to Colorado to pay tribute to Cummings and maybe hike the Emmaline Trail to honor their friend.

"I know Christine felt way more at home in Colorado than in D.C.,'' Roberts said. "It's a beautiful place that Christine loved.''

The friends said Cummings, an avid outdoorswoman, moved to Fort Collins a couple of years ago to be closer to the outdoors she loved.

They said Cummings' last communication was the evening of Dec. 29 when she texted a friend that she returned safely to Fort Collins after visiting family in Granger, Indiana, just outside of South Bend, for Christmas. The friend said a neighbor saw Cummings' vehicle at her residence that day.

But no one heard from her after that.

Cummings was scheduled for a final divorce hearing Tuesday at the Larimer County Justice Center, according to court records. She and her husband, Marty Humm, filed for divorce Sept. 22. Humm moved from their Fort Collins home to the East Coast in the fall.

Fort Collins police Chief Jeff Swoboda said the outpouring of support in the effort to locate Cummings was touching.

"We share your grief in this tragic loss of life, our deepest condolences are with Christine's family and everyone impacted by this heartbreaking outcome," he said in a release.

Suicide warning signs

Feelings of being a burden, entrapment, unbearable pain

Increased anxiety

Isolation

Increased substance abuse

Looking for access to lethal means

Increased anger or rage

Extreme mood swings

Expressions of hopelessness

Sleeping too little or too much

Talking or posting about wanting to die

Making plans for suicide

How to help someone who is struggling
Ask how they're feeling (don't be afraid to use the word "suicide")

Find out how to keep them safe

Be there for the person

Help them connect with resources

Follow up, even when they seem to be happy

SOURCE: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Help for people in crisis
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or call 911.

SummitStone Crisis Stabilization Unit, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: summitstonehealth.org/services/

Poudre Valley Hospital and Medical Center of the Rockies crisis centers: uchealth.org/services/behavioral-health/
Coroner ID's decedent in Pingree Park area as missing Fort Collins woman

How sad for Christine :(. I know her pain. TBH, there was a time in my life (when I was also separated from my exH) that I contemplated leaving earth in this exact way, including the sleeping bag. I feel sad for Christine that she couldn't pull herself out of her heartbreak in time :(.
I too have had adult suicide ideation off and on over the last thirty years. A constant conflicting struggle in my mind. Suicide is prevalent in my generational bloodline. One night in 2013 ~ I tried to disappear forever. I just wanted the pain to end. To close my eyes and sleep forever. I researched and planned this night. Thank God my son found me in time. It was touch and go for awhile but of course I survived. If one has never been there, it’s almost impossible to understand. The continual ideation emits excruciating turmoil and pain within the mind. This is the hard part. Once the decision is finally cemented ~ it’s very calming and peaceful. Easy to go forward to execute plan from there.

Please ~ seek help if you have any such thoughts. Please...

Hold
On
Pain
Ends

My heart breaks for Christine.

Of course we do not know what she was thinking or why she chose the end path she did.

I picture a scenario where she loved the outdoors and wanted her life to end at a peaceful, private and beautiful location. She may have even thought in advance she didn't want a loved one/friend to find her and for them to carry that image. IMO

I too have had adult suicide ideation off and on over the last thirty years. A constant conflicting struggle in my mind. Suicide is prevalent in my generational bloodline. One night in 2013 ~ I tried to disappear forever. I just wanted the pain to end. To close my eyes and sleep forever. I researched and planned this night. Thank God my son found me in time. It was touch and go for awhile but of course I survived. If one has never been there, it’s almost impossible to understand. The continual ideation emits excruciating turmoil and pain within the mind. This is the hard part. Once the decision is finally cemented ~ it’s very calming and peaceful. Easy to go forward to execute plan from there.

Please ~ seek help if you have any such thoughts. Please...

Hold
On
Pain
Ends

I'm glad you were a failure. <3 I love that acronym! Never heard that one. :)

I'm glad you were a failure. <3 I love that acronym! Never heard that one. :)
Me too. My life is beautiful now. Sequential critical close calls with death followed over the years. I fought to recover from each. I’ve used up so many of my nine lives and have severe deficiencies in my body from medical conditions. My body is kinda screwed up but my mind is good. I’m happy and content. I can’t imagine not being here for my granddaughters. I’m so grateful to be alive. I wish Christine could have held on until the dark tunnel she was crawling into had bits of light shining through to revitalize her spirit. Dark clouds of doom evolving into sunshine. It’s a process. Time heals all.

@imstilla.grandma we are so very happy you are still here and sharing with us and helping us understand the things we can't ... May the Lord Bless you each and every day ! So grateful for your strength and wisdom. ❤️ Rest in Peace Christine you are in a much better place, sorry you left so soon. Prayers for comfort and strength for all who loved her MOO

@imstilla.grandma we are so very happy you are still here and sharing with us and helping us understand the things we can't ... May the Lord Bless you each and every day ! So grateful for your strength and wisdom. ❤️ Rest in Peace Christine you are in a much better place, sorry you left so soon. Prayers for comfort and strength for all who loved her MOO
Thank you. You’re always so kind and thoughtful. I’m happy you’re my friend. You’re a good one to have. I share my scars so others know they can heal. Five years ago, I could barely breathe, walk, talk or feed myself. Still, others in the rehab hospital were so much worse. I still have my mind. I know how blessed I am. Being strong is realizing you have no other choice. Simple as that. ❤️

My sixteen year old nephew hanged himself in the garage a little over three years ago. The last hours of his life were spent sending Facebook friend requests saying nothing. He saved his large extended family for last. One of my daughters was his final request. This song was played at his funeral. It has helped millions of people including me. I so wish I would have known Christine. She sounds lovely. Sometimes it just takes one to know one. I would love to go back in time to touch her soul and feed her spirit. Tell her to hold on. It’s gonna pass. You won’t always feel this way. It’s gonna be okay. You gotta just hold on. Just a little bit longer. Breathe sister. Breathe.
The artist committed suicide. It was his suicide letter and no one realized. We just heard his heart.

Last edited:
This touches me so much. Fly high and run fast, Christine.

I hope her husband and her family have a good relationship. As their divorce wasn't final, he will still have rights over disposition of her body, etc. I've known people in that situation (family of the deceased) whose estranged spouse made decisions following their deaths that hurt their family deeply. Prayers for peace for and among all her loved ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back