CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

There’s also officers who sometimes patrol the bridge on bikes and in carts looking for people who might be thinking about jumping (as well as surveillance cameras) and will take them off the bridge to get help if they are. Though they don’t always see everyone.
Wow what an important yet heart wrenching job!

i hope Syd is found, if she did jump, so her parents receive closure. its been so long.

RSBM. Me too. I have a hard time accepting that she jumped. Not because I don’t believe it, but more so because I don’t want it to be true (if it is). She seemed like such and intelligent and very pretty girl with whatever future she desired.

I’ve learned so many things in this life and mental health/psychiatry has been a calling for me. I base a lot of my work on relating to others. I know what it’s like to lose that person closest to you to suicide (without ever seeing it coming). I know personally the pain experienced from life long depression and the hopeless resolution of suicidal ideation.

What I learned this last year still has my head spinning a little. My mother who is blessed to not know depression, told me she doesn’t understand how someone can’t see through to the other side. How one can feel like they can’t go on. She said some other things that unintentionally hurt my feelings. I poured my guts out to her hoping she would understand even if only a little bit. But she didn’t. And I realized that no matter what I say, what analogy I use, how I say it....she isn’t going to understand. And I felt very alone at that moment.

For anyone reading this who feels alone, please know you are definitely not alone. Mental health should be just as important as our physical health. The stigma of mental illness only serves to keep us sick. It’s so hard to reach out at times but you are definitely not alone.

I hope Syd is alive and well. If not I hope she has found some peace. The pain of losing a loved one to suicide is just as painful as feeling suicidal (to me at least). I hope they get some sort of closure.

I apologize for the long post. Just felt compelled to write this tonight.

Why do you guys think there is such a small amount of information released to the public? Because they truly have very little more information and she really did kind of just vanish? They are trying to protect her privacy because they believe she may have ran away? Or (what I fear most people have come to believe after they announced she was last seen on the bridge) they believe she jumped and are kind of waiting for a witness or something to turn up to confirm that since the cameras weren’t able to pick anything up because of the fog? There is such a small amount of information and details released in this case and I think it had hindered the public being able to help.
Also, why are there so many rumors/unconfirmed details? I’ve heard a lot of talk of a suicide attempt or attempts shortly prior to her disappearance, almost everywhere has said she dropped out of college within three weeks of her first semester starting and about her mental health deteriorating. So many unconfirmed details in this case...

My thoughts exactly. It's heartbreaking no matter the circumstances. Sid has such a large, loving support group of family and friends, more than most. It seems with almost four months gone by now that she would have reached out to someone just letting people know that she is safe, even if not ready to go home. Her family and friends leave beautiful, heart wrenching daily postings on facebook directly to her asking her to come home. I can't tell if it's wishful thinking and or they have information that she is out there somewhere able to access these messages. Hope she is found soon♥️

My thoughts exactly. It's heartbreaking no matter the circumstances. Sid has such a large, loving support group of family and friends, more than most. It seems with almost four months gone by now that she would have reached out to someone just letting people know that she is safe, even if not ready to go home. Her family and friends leave beautiful, heart wrenching daily postings on facebook directly to her asking her to come home. I can't tell if it's wishful thinking and or they have information that she is out there somewhere able to access these messages. Hope she is found soon♥️

Agree with everything you just said. I truly hope she is safe somewhere and missing by her own choice. Family disagreements, resentments, hurt feelings, fear of failure and disappointment...all those things are crappy to deal with but part of me hopes this is the case and she’s just taking care of herself at the moment. Unfortunately, my gut says otherwise. I think it’s very likely she jumped and there is just no confirmation. I get the impression if she did jump, she probably did not leave a note because I think if she did, it would be even quieter and I think family’s comments might be a little different. I sometimes think about how awful it must be to have nothing, no real clue. I think about how I might feel if we found my grandma and she hadn’t left a suicide note behind. This is just MOO, but the pain is already terrible knowing after the fact how much pain and sadness they felt. But with nothing, no hint as to why, no final words to the ones who loved that person...to me that is torture.

I do believe in energy and I’m choosing to put some positive energy out there tonight that no matter where Sid is or what happened; her loved ones will be relieved of some of the pain they feel and can find some comfort.

Sadly, I think the signs point to suicide:
1. Last seen on GGB
2. Ditched the backpack she had been carrying earlier that morning
3. History of depression, recent destabilization (dropping out of Berkeley)
4. No organized searches by police, no reward for information leading to safe return, no pleas issued to potential perpetrators
5. Unconfirmed rumors about a previous attempt
6. Police say they do not suspect foul play - this element is significant, due to the liability police potentially incur when they’re wrong. They wouldn’t make a statement like this unless they were certain. For example, if police say “we don’t suspect foul play” and a victim is found murdered, that statement becomes Exhibit A in a civil suit by the family against the police, claiming that police did not adequately investigate (or even prevent) a homicide because they wrongly assumed it was a suicide.

overworkedcollegestudent said:
I am also wondering, if she did jump (which is a very likely possibility unfortunately) how realistic is it that her belongings or her remains would be found and be confirmed to be hers after this much time?

I read a disturbingly graphic account of this, and the chances of recovery are not good. Once a body is swept into the nearby ocean by strong currents and the body cavity is breached by marine/animal activity, it sinks and is very unlikely to be recovered.

Sadly, I think the signs point to suicide:
1. Last seen on GGB
2. Ditched the backpack she had been carrying earlier that morning
3. History of depression, recent destabilization (dropping out of Berkeley)
4. No organized searches by police, no reward for information leading to safe return, no pleas issued to potential perpetrators
5. Unconfirmed rumors about a previous attempt
6. Police say they do not suspect foul play - this element is significant, due to the liability police potentially incur when they’re wrong. They wouldn’t make a statement like this unless they were certain. For example, if police say “we don’t suspect foul play” and a victim is found murdered, that statement becomes Exhibit A in a civil suit by the family against the police, claiming that police did not adequately investigate (or even prevent) a homicide because they wrongly assumed it was a suicide.
What happened with the ditched backpack? It was seen after she disappeared?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back