Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crime Talk LIVE: Vallow-Daybell Remote Hearing

Scott Reisch's final commentary at 3:59:46:

Scott points out (at around 2:47:00) that if he suspected that the prosecutor was actually guilty of unethical behavior, he would have waited and brought it up in the trial. Also, if he were in Wood's shoes, he'd see JP's and MM's questioning of his ethics as a declaration of war.

My timing was good since I happened to jump on defense attorney Scott Riesch's channel near the tail end of the hearing and he gave his perspective right after the ruling.

Scott said that normally, there should be a certain amount of professional courtesy between attorneys. Unless there was something glaringly unlawful, what the defense was trying to attain was a stretch and this should've never even been brought up as a motion in the first place. If it had to come up, it would best be settled throught the bar association, not the courts. Well, it went before the judge anyway and the end result is that there's nothing to show for it but bad blood between attorneys.

A few days ago, Scott estimated that there would be around 100 hours billing time on this motion alone. Previous to this frivilous thing, I thought of JP as a savvy attorney. MM is another story with his antics but if the defense attorneys continue wasting time with matters like this, unless they are being paid by some unknown money source, these guys will be unaffordable way before actual trials begin.

The beat goes on.......
Agreed, IMO, JP should be doing a lot more apologizing to the court.

I understand the presumption of innocence and the right to due process.
Still, I found two comments from the past couple of days interesting. MM made a statement to the effect of why are we even here to begin with. I am not a rocket scientist, but if world today had two more young people taking up a known space and taking in oxygen he would be handling someone's divorce case instead.
"He got caught" came up a few times. I so hope that the prosecutor can work that phrase in the trial when the events of June 9 are discussed.

I understand the presumption of innocence and the right to due process.
Still, I found two comments from the past couple of days interesting. MM made a statement to the effect of why are we even here to begin with. I am not a rocket scientist, but if world today had two more young people taking up a known space and taking in oxygen he would be handling someone's divorce case instead.
"He got caught" came up a few times. I so hope that the prosecutor can work that phrase in the trial when the events of June 9 are discussed.

not to belabor the point, but I respectfully disagree, I think why “we are here” is because Wood chose to have this meeting.
If he has a very strong case, then he didn’t need to meet with her.
If he was just having an introduction with her, then he didn’t really need to meet with her.
If the State doesn’t need her to testify for the trial, then he didn’t need to meet with her.

I’ve seen multiple people here & elsewhere say that Wood was just doing what Summer wanted, since she wanted to meet. That might be the case, but doing it right before the first ever police interview is odd. I think the State, in doing this to begin with, made a foolish decision, and essentially gave the Defense more to argue before we even get to the jury trial.

I’m still waiting to see if the State reaped any positive benefits from doing this, right now it seems like extra hearings, extra time on the Court calendar, extra time spent on Motions & filing briefs, their resources focused on fighting “this” rather than focused on their allegedly very strong case. Sorry for disagreeing

This is all MOO but the thing that bothers me about this expert witness testimony is that the "best practices" he refers to are all described by him as interrogation methods that are used in other countries at the beginning of his testimony. I checked and the Reid method is not outlawed in any countries including the US. While everyone wishes that they are engaging in best practices at all moment of their lives that is often not the case. You would think that he would compare it more to normal practice in the US. Wood's behavior is not ideal and questionable, and so is the behavior of Smith by recording this conversation and allowing it to continue if he was so bothered by it. I think it will be very interesting to see what the judge decides.

Personally, I think it sounds like Smith invoked the "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" principle vis-a-vis the recording... As for the meeting in general, I don't trust these Cox women further than you can throw them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised either, if Summer was intentionally sent out as a honeypot (maybe Wood prefers brunettes to blondes, lol).

This is going to be a long drawn out case. If Means is hoping the public forgets and his client will get off, he does not know how WS remembers! I want to see her and CD on trail for what they did. I will wait....but sure wish it was sooner.
The public will not forget. It isn’t just us folks at WS. There are threads and discussion groups all over the web - like Reddit (r/LoriVallow). If nothing else, the news media will never lose interest in this case until the murder convictions and the needle (if that’s where things are going to end).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-153336_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-153336_Samsung Internet.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Screenshot_20210111-153350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-153350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20210111-153359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-153359_Samsung Internet.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 129
Adding screenshots
A tangentially related note - thank you for sharing it from Kim. She has been on this case from the start but has never received the same spotlight (and she’s said that’s totally okay!) but I’ve felt bad, other reporters have literally piggy backed off and copy/pasted many of her reports, like this, acting as if it was their own scoop. I was so happy she got so much airtime in the ID documentary and just wanted to thank you - from one WSer to another - for sharing it from her today. She deserves more recognition in my opinion. TYM

Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix

This report details the interview with Pastenes’ daughter. She had no idea Cox & Pastenes got married 2 weeks prior in Vegas. She knew Lori as a “prepper” & good friend of Pastenes through the same LDS church. Pastenes almost moved to Idaho to be w/ Cox according to her daughter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-171342_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-171342_Facebook.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics