CA - Roman Anthony Lopez, 11, found deceased, poisoned , Placerville, 11 Jan 2020 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote RSBM.
Could you give some generic examples of the kind of situation you're wondering about?

IMO-Potentially- something like:

-Failure to collect evidence.
-Contamination of evidence collected.
-Any other procedure or protocol which wasn't followed that could be used to challenge evidence in court.

Standard for Initial Response at Scenes by Law Enforcement
www.nist.gov › document › standard-initial-response-sc...

Mar 15, 2020 — This document has been developed by the Crime Scene Investigation ... best practices to be employed by law enforcement officers (LEO) when they ... Institute measures to preserve/protect evidence that may be lost or compromised (e.g.,.

Last edited:
If poor Roman died of 'natural' causes, I'd hope that they would have announced it to the public, so people would have some closure.

But what if it was 'natural causes' that happened because of neglect? He really looked unhealthy, in my opinion. He looked possibly malnourished and did not seem to be thriving.

But maybe they want to just sweep all that under the rug, if there is no pivotal 'moment' that can be prosecuted?

If poor Roman died of 'natural' causes, I'd hope that they would have announced it to the public, so people would have some closure.

But what if it was 'natural causes' that happened because of neglect? He really looked unhealthy, in my opinion. He looked possibly malnourished and did not seem to be thriving.

But maybe they want to just sweep all that under the rug, if there is no pivotal 'moment' that can be prosecuted?
Since Evanna Tranberg-Bennett's case, I'm way more aware of different types of abuse and neglect. It's not just hitting a child or not giving the child enough food. It's also not providing adequate medical care in a timely manner. Roman might have been sick and ignored, this poor child looks sick in almost every picture. It's still abuse and neglect if it was caused by "natural causes".

Since Evanna Tranberg-Bennett's case, I'm way more aware of different types of abuse and neglect. It's not just hitting a child or not giving the child enough food. It's also not providing adequate medical care in a timely manner. Roman might have been sick and ignored, this poor child looks sick in almost every picture. It's still abuse and neglect if it was caused by "natural causes".
Absolutely! Not providing the necessities of life is a crime. Medical care is a necessity if a child is ill and not thriving. Many medical conditions can be treated successfully if diagnosed. The way Roman was found was anything but “natural.” :(

I he died of neglect, someone needs to be held accountable.
MOO

November 23, 2020
Placerville Chief of Police Joseph Wren on Monday told the Mountain Democrat a “very active, suspicious death investigation” involving several different law enforcement and forensic agencies is still ongoing.

“Our investigators are working closely with experts to not only determine what occurred at the time of Roman’s death but to also provide a more clear understanding on what events led up to this suspicious death,” said Wren.
Police hold out for 'clear understanding' in boy's death
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 10, 2020
A spokesperson for Placerville Police said they are waiting on a pathology report. But that’s the same update that was given back in February. Detectives said the report is needed to move forward.
Placerville Boy Roman Lopez's Disappearance And Death Still A Mystery After 6 Months
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 20, 2020
For the first time Wednesday, KCRA 3's Brandi Cummings sat down with the Police Cmdr. Kim Nida, who is overseeing the team investigating the case, to talk about what's happened since Roman was found dead.

Q: What things are being investigated at this point?

Nida: In cases such as these, we have to be very thorough for the integrity of the case.

So, we have to make sure that we reach out to every aspect and that’s what we’ve been doing.

There were eight children in that household, so we have to figure out what roles they all play in the household that’s specific to that case. So in general, we have to interview everybody involved.

Specific to this case, people across the country. There are parents across the country. So we have to get a full picture.

I describe investigations as a puzzle, and we have to make sure that we put all the pieces together and that requires a lot of work and a lot of patience.
Video and more at link-
Schools, COVID-19 key focus in Gov. Newsom's $227B budget proposal
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 16, 2020
Roman Anthony Lopez liked to hide in cubby-holes and secluded places around his family’s home and property in a quiet Placerville neighborhood just off Highway 50.

Lindsay Piper, his step-mother, had climbed the stairs of their two-story home at about 9 a.m. Saturday to fetch the 11-year-old boy for breakfast. He wasn’t in his bed. After looking in all his usual hideouts, she was worried he was gone.

She and her family began to “frantically” search for Roman, she said.

In those first critical hours, Lindsay Piper and Roman’s father, Jordan Piper, said they got little help from the Placerville Police Department, which took hours to send an alert to officers. Later that evening, Roman was found dead.

In an exclusive interview with The Sacramento Bee, the distraught parents said they have still received little information about the investigation into Roman’s death, which police have described as suspicious. They talked to The Bee for more than 90 minutes Wednesday, but asked not to be photographed.

El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Anthony Prencipe said Thursday that Roman Lopez’s autopsy was completed Tuesday and any questions regarding the autopsy report should be directed to Placerville Police.

The department did not respond to The Bee’s request for comment for this story but said after publication that they “do not have the pathologist’s report and will not be providing any further information in reference to the autopsy.”

“We do not anticipate that report for another 4-6 weeks.”
Https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article239365078.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOX40
January 12, 2020 ·
UPDATE: 11-year-old Roman Lopez found dead in Placerville.

Investigators are searching a home on Coloma Road In Placerville. We’re told this has to do with Roman Lopez, 11, who went missing yesterday morning. Police are holding a press conference now with the latest details.

75280621_1038338176525281_7947517319717060608_n.jpg

-0:56

The family including the minors who were initially removed from the home have moved out of state. I can’t remember where I read this.
I thought that as well @Noharg, but this 11/23/20 news story states otherwise. I do think the non-biological minors who were being cared for by the Lopez family were removed & returned to their home state.

Roman Lopez’ family is no longer living in the Coloma Street home but they are still living in California, according to a spokesperson for the family.
Police hold out for 'clear understanding' in boy's death

Absolutely! Not providing the necessities of life is a crime. Medical care is a necessity if a child is ill and not thriving. Many medical conditions can be treated successfully if diagnosed. The way Roman was found was anything but “natural.” :(

I he died of neglect, someone needs to be held accountable.
MOO

I totally agree. I just hope the authorities feel the same way. :mad:

Roman’s family has been SO quiet this whole time, and I think that’s... interesting and somewhat telling? Yeah, the father and the stepmother did an interview, no pictures or video though. And the mother also talked right after he was found dead, but not very much.

I’m guessing this is a VERY sensitive case, and that everyone was told to zip it. I’m leaning towards a minor ultimately causing Roman’s death. I don’t think whoever killed him had the intention to actually kill him, but it really looks like he was neglected, ignored and maybe abused for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member