TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Texan I follow missing persons cases from TX.

I've just been struck by a strange similarly between this search for JL and the Dallas TX missing persons case who is a male as well.
Not sure how to tag the thread or if I am allowed to so I'll refrain for now.

Both men's cars were found off of the route they would take to get to the homes.

Both men's cars were found with the keys locked inside of them according to the investigating LEO for their own county.

"On Friday, Jan. 8, authorities said the accident scene leads them to believe the driver was able to walk away from the crash with "little or no injury."

Approximately 900 feet south of the accident scene, a few articles of clothing and personal effects were discovered in the roadway, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said."

Caldwell County Sheriff's Office, TEXSAR still searching for missing Texas State student | kvue.com
Does this mean that the person that reported the accident had to have driven over those items or noticed them? hmmm

I've just been struck by a strange similarly between this search for JL and the Dallas TX missing persons case who is a male as well.

Can a Mod or someone in the know please answer this question as to whether or not it's OK to tag a thread on this site? I've seen it asked before as well. I'd think it would be OK since it's from this site but defer to someone that actually knows for sure. Thank you.

I disagree, looking at that road, mesquite trees line the side of the road. I have always wondered about brick on the accelerator intentional crash myself. I just thought it would have been someone else with his car doing it. I do think it would be easy to hit a tree in this area, FYI. I wouldn't rule it out. Google Earthupload_2021-1-11_17-36-14.png
In the pitch darkness, I don't think he could've known there'd be a tree there. So I don't think deliberate or staged works....

I think we CAN say he had to be driving too fast. But how fast? 45? 65? 90?

Was he being chased? Was he THINKING he was being chased? WAS there a second car? How about a second phone? Couldn't find the first, retrieved an alternate device from his backpack, having dug through it after being unable to find his phone.... asked someone to come get him? Can't face his family for whatever reason? To me, either his injuries were in fact worse, he stumbled off sadly and succumbed or he left the area, voluntarily or involuntarily.....

What a miracle it would be if he's holed up somewhere and came out! Not likely but weirder things have happened.

JMO

They did have TES out there and one advantage of horse-mounted SAR is they have a much higher perspective than ground members. Unfortunately, just like ground members, there are likely areas that are not accessible for thorough searching due to brush and terrain. I really hope they are able to re-search the surrounding area and hopefully find Jason.
They also had drones searching. One week later, search continues for missing Texas State student

As a Texan I follow missing persons cases from TX.

Both men's cars were found off of the route they would take to get to the homes.

Both men's cars were found with the keys locked inside of them according to the investigating LEO for their own county.
I’m assuming you’re talking about Brandon Lawson, who a previous poster mentioned as well?? If so, I too, have been struck by some of the similarities. If this were *fiction*, I’d imagine it to go something like this...

There is some kind of website/forum for troubled college aged kids who find themselves in a bad place/need for escape. In this dark web place, there is someone(s) coaching these young men how to set up a disappearance where it appears they may have wandered/perished, so the search for them is not so intense or for as long. Then said “coach” offers them a new way of life.

But, then I think this is probably foolish thinking. These two kids in Texas disappearing does not quite equate to a pattern. I feel like there would have to be more connections between these two young men. (Same college etc.)

And, unlike with Brandon Lawson, we aren’t aware that Jason did anything like giving items away, ending a romantic relationship etc.

Still, the point of my reply is to say, yes, my mind did go there. Though I think it’s extremely unlikely the two cases are related other than some similar circumstances.

Last edited:
I’m assuming you’re taking about Brandon Lawson, who a previous poster mentioned as well. I too, have been struck by some of the similarities. If this were *fiction*, I’d imagine it to go something like this...

There is some kind of website/forum for troubled college aged kids who find themselves in a bad place/need for escape. In this dark web place, there is someone(s) coaching these young men how to set up a disappearance where it appears they may have wandered/perished, so the search for them is not so intense or for as long. Then said “coach” offers them a new way of life.

But, then I think this is probably foolish thinking. These two kids in Texas disappearing does not quite equate to a pattern. I feel like there would have to be more connections to these two young men. (Same college etc.)

And, unlike with Brandon Lawson, we aren’t aware that Jason did anything like giving items away, ending a romantic relationship etc.

Still, the point of my reply is to say, yes, my mind did go there. Though I think it’s extremely unlikely the two cases are related.
I think maybe they are talking about the Alan White case. And yes, we can link to other cases here on WS. :) Here is Alan's. I am following it intently as well. TX - TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

I am sorry to see so little info coming from police or anyone else in the past weeks. I feel like this will be one of those situations where nothing more will be said, and eventually, his remains will be found by a walker...jmo.

I have always wondered about brick on the accelerator intentional crash myself. I just thought it would have been someone else with his car doing it.

I'd think they'd have known if it was a brick trick. It would be left behind and the car would have still been running. I also don't know if a brick would work. I say this because I tried using something really heavy on my brake pedal so I could go behind the car to check my brake lights. (lol @ myself). I couldn't get anything to work so gave up trying after a while. I'm thinking it would have to be one h*ll of a heavy brick, and not just an ordinary brick.

Attachments

• jasonlandry-missing.jpg
    jasonlandry-missing.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 89
Does this mean that the person that reported the accident had to have driven over those items or noticed them? hmmm

I’m reserving judgement on the whole “in the roadway” concept. I suspect that it may just be a reporter garbling the story. (It did come from a news report, not directly from LE, right?)

In the pitch darkness, I don't think he could've known there'd be a tree there. So I don't think deliberate or staged works....

JMO

RSBM I guess I was thinking he could have been down this road before (literally) and knew there were trees down there, knew it was desolate, so purposely picked that road.

If he's physically OK somewhere I'd wish he'd at least reach out to his parent to let them know. They come before LE to me.

I know what you mean and personally agree, but if he disappeared and doesn't want anyone to find him, I would say to him, OK. You don't have to be found. But you can tell LE and they will keep that confidential. At least they can pass on to your parents you are safe and the search and investigation efforts called off.

JMO but I am beginning to think he may have wanted to walk away. His 2 pictures are totally different! I fear something was going on in his life his parents may not have been aware of. Those 2 photos look like 2 totally different people to me!

Grade's are in. I wonder if his grades for the fall semester would lend anything to our speculation?

Was he pleased? Was he worried? Was he doing okay?

It might help to know his state of mind, to know what brought him to that moment in time.

JMO

I'm very sorry for JL's family and friends and I believe his body will eventually be located not too far from where he crashed.

I think JL was a young man that's been restless for more than a couple of years -- undecided about many things, as many are at age 21. I also think JL was a user, also typical of his generation -- and not a drug dealer (with a backpack full of narcotics)!

I further believe that JL was impaired when he crashed his vehicle -- even paranoid, speeding down the dark Salt Flats Road, the opposite direction of the HI-10 interchange that he missed. There's so much synthetic stuff on the market today where even laced weed can cost you your life. And sadly, it's very cheap! I think it could have even been an unsuspecting, parting gift to celebrate the end of the term. Nonetheless, I believe JL indulged in something that led to his crash and ultimately proved deadly to JL.

A bad decision that led to an accident.

I recall a post from JL's Twitter a couple of years ago when JL received his acceptance letter from UT-Austin. He was over the moon and also received so many congratulatory replies. Yet less than two years later he was at TSU - San Marcos. I'm not on FB but I understand that his profile shows he'd attended at least 3 universities in 4 years. IMO, that's a costly trait not only in dollars but also for the mind, body, and spirit.

Sadly, I'm wondering if what JL really needed was a GAP year -- no pressure, doing something where he'd be active while trying to learn more about himself.

Prayers and comfort for his family, always.

MOO

I think it’s significant that they changed their language on the latest missing poster to say “little or no injuries.” That would change pretty much everything about this investigation. He still could have died from injuries from the wreck, but LE does not seem to think this is the case anymore. Why? I don’t think the wreck looks fatal (although looks can be deceiving) so I’m now thinking it’s more likely something else happened. But what?

The wreck doesn't look like a fatal crash to anybody -- LE included. Reportedly, when they first encountered the abandoned vehicle, LE also was not alarmed.

IMO, there appeared to be no life-threatening blood loss at the accident.

I think the finding will most likely be where JL's condition at the time he crashed his vehicle will account for his death.

Studies show that aspiration is more often an alternative cause of death in opioid-related fatalities (not the amount of drug) -- not to mention how passed out in a culvert or ditch can lead to hypothermia and the cause of death.

I don't believe that JL would put his mother (or father, etc.,) through any of this if he had any control. He's not been seen or heard from since the crash.

Aspiration in lethal drug abuse-a consequence of opioid intoxication - PubMed

Hypothermia - Symptoms and causes.

Last edited:
I’m reserving judgement on the whole “in the roadway” concept. I suspect that it may just be a reporter garbling the story. (It did come from a news report, not directly from LE, right?)

It came from broadcast news coverage based on the police report. @diggndeeperstill posted this screenshot of the police report that appeared in the broadcast news segment because the news coverage referred to a “backpack filled with narcotics” while the police report simply states the “backpack contained narcotics...”

You can also see the police report language regarding the location of the backpack.

Attachments

• 30EE16CF-36D8-404D-B8DB-2E9E836BA5E0.jpeg
    30EE16CF-36D8-404D-B8DB-2E9E836BA5E0.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28
The wreck doesn't look like a fatal crash to anybody -- LE included. Reportedly, when they first encountered the abandoned vehicle, LE also was not alarmed. There appeared to be no life-threatening blood loss at the accident.

I think the finding will most likely be where JL's condition at the time he crashed his vehicle will account for his death.

Studies show that aspiration is more often an alternative cause of death in opioid-related fatalities (not the amount of drug) -- not to mention how passed out in a culvert or ditch can lead to hypothermia and the cause of death.

I don't believe that JL would put his mother (or father, etc.,) through any of this if he had any control. He's not been seen or heard from since the crash.

Aspiration in lethal drug abuse-a consequence of opioid intoxication - PubMed

Hypothermia - Symptoms and causes.

Yes to all that!

AND when LE checked on the car it was locked which, I would think, would reinforce the idea that the driver secured his property and would return for it later. That's what people do. Lock the car, come back later.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member