TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very sorry for JL's family and friends and I believe his body will eventually be located not too far from where he crashed.

I think JL was a young man that's been restless for more than a couple of years -- undecided about many things, as many are at age 21. I also think JL was a user, also typical of his generation -- and not a drug dealer (with a backpack full of narcotics)!

I further believe that JL was impaired when he crashed his vehicle -- even paranoid, speeding down the dark Salt Flats Road, the opposite direction of the HI-10 interchange that he missed. There's so much synthetic stuff on the market today where even laced weed can cost you your life. And sadly, it's very cheap! I think it could have even been an unsuspecting, parting gift to celebrate the end of the term. Nonetheless, I believe JL indulged in something that led to his crash and ultimately proved deadly to JL.

A bad decision that led to an accident.

I recall a post from JL's Twitter a couple of years ago when JL received his acceptance letter from UT-Austin. He was over the moon and also received so many congratulatory replies. Yet less than two years later he was at TSU - San Marcos. I'm not on FB but I understand that his profile shows he'd attended at least 3 universities in 4 years. IMO, that's a costly trait not only in dollars but also for the mind, body, and spirit.

Sadly, I'm wondering if what JL really needed was a GAP year -- no pressure, doing something where he'd be active while trying to learn more about himself.

Prayers and comfort for his family, always.

MOO
I certainly think this is a strong possibility.

I would add to that the possibility that Jason may have unintentionally driven under the influence. The timing would fit for him to have grabbed a snack on his way out the door (that he didn’t recognize as an edible...say if a roommate had left out).

I don’t mean to sound naive. If he was under the influence, I think it’s much more likely that it was knowingly. I just know that pot comes in so many forms now...so could be unrecognizable.

I certainly think this is a strong possibility.

I would add to that the possibility that Jason may have unintentionally driven under the influence. The timing would fit for him to have grabbed a snack on his way out the door (that he didn’t recognize as an edible...say if a roommate had left out).

I don’t mean to sound naive. If he was under the influence, I think it’s much more likely that it was knowingly. I just know that pot comes in so many forms now...so could be unrecognizable.

I agree. I really don't believe the accident or disappearance an intentional act by JL whatsoever.

And also not naive -- my point being he may have unsuspectedly ingested/consumed something that caused him to be impaired to the extent it may have cost him his life.

I've personally heard countless stories of how "I never had this reaction before."

It was the end of the school term on Friday -- he left for the family home late on Sunday.

His body and mind under a toll.

Regardless, a tragedy just the same.

MOO

I’m reserving judgement on the whole “in the roadway” concept. I suspect that it may just be a reporter garbling the story. (It did come from a news report, not directly from LE, right?)

It is listed as “in the roadway” on the newest poster from the Sheriff’s department. To me that means in the middle of the road. Otherwise I think it would say “on the side of the road” or “in the ditch”. Anytime I’ve heard something is “in the road”, it’s been smack dab in the middle, not off to the side where it doesn’t interfere. MOO

What if Jason was experiencing a mental health issue or sudden episode before the crash, taking a different route or road as a result of altered thoughts? Like someone or something was after him? Had minor injuries but still in crisis so he ran off to hide? And is still in hiding?

I’m trying to remember the thread about a woman that had an argument with her roommates/daughter and disappeared.
Think she was missing for quite a while?
PI found her in hiding or in woods/mountain area clutching a bible.

I cannot find in MSM that the headlights of his car were off when it was found. I find that the key was in the ignition and the doors were locked though. I realize that the engine may have stopped on impact but in a car of that age, the lights would have remained on even though the engine was off, wouldn't they?
If LE feels that the driver (whoever it was) was not significantly impaired, then the scene seems more like it wasn't JL who was driving to me. MOO MOO MOO

I cannot find in MSM that the headlights of his car were off when it was found. I find that the key was in the ignition and the doors were locked though. I realize that the engine may have stopped on impact but in a car of that age, the lights would have remained on even though the engine was off, wouldn't they?
If LE feels that the driver (whoever it was) was not significantly impaired, then the scene seems more like it wasn't JL who was driving to me. MOO MOO MOO
It is possible the battery could be damaged or broken loose in an accident. If that happens the lights will no longer work if the engine is off no matter what position the headlight switch is in. In many cars, no idea on this particular one but it would be easy to look up, the battery is at the front of the engine compartment where it is vulnerable to damage in an accident.

I agree. I really don't believe the accident or disappearance an intentional act by JL whatsoever.

And also not naive -- my point being he may have unsuspectedly ingested/consumed something that caused him to be impaired to the extent it may have cost him his life.

I've personally heard countless stories of how "I never had this reaction before."

It was the end of the school term on Friday -- he left for the family home late on Sunday.

His body and mind under a toll.

Regardless, a tragedy just the same.

MOO
This is an intriguing theory. If I were unexpectedly under the influence, my instinct would probably be to avoid crowded areas (like I-10, or even Luling) and seek a quieter place to wait things out. Either that, or take back roads back to the apartment where I could better figure out what was happening.

I don’t know about y’all but if we took a photo of me first thing this morning with messy hair and no shower and no makeup, vs what I look like ready for my first meeting at work we would see a real difference. Similarly most of my male work colleagues have grown beards during quarantine and many are wearing their hair much longer than they did previously.

While the new photos could be indicative of a change in mental health / circumstances, I find it just as likely that it was a late night post-party photo or early morning messy photo vs the cleaned up posed photos from family events.

135655464_10214913707516114_6310980883586607329_n.jpg

bringing the pic of his car forward

This is an intriguing theory. If I were unexpectedly under the influence, my instinct would probably be to avoid crowded areas (like I-10, or even Luling) and seek a quieter place to wait things out. Either that, or take back roads back to the apartment where I could better figure out what was happening.

I believe you're describing a response (to impairment) of one that is thinking clearly! Unfortunately, impairment typically throws instinct out the window -- says any user standing before a parent or the law. If Jason used only laced weed, he could have been experiencing psychotic effects, including hallucinations, delusions, and marked confusion or disorientation.

Laced Weed | Marijuana Laced With LSD, Coke & Heroin

I believe you're describing a response (to impairment) of one that is thinking clearly! Unfortunately, impairment typically throws instinct out the window -- says any user standing before a parent or the law. If Jason used only laced weed, he could have been experiencing psychotic effects, including hallucinations, delusions, and marked confusion or disorientation.

If he had used laced weed before he left on the trip, how long does it take to have an effect? He would have traveled about 30 miles before coming to the intersection where he did not make the right turn. Does it take that long to bring him to hallucinations, or disorientation or would he have to have been smoking on the trip down which it seems would leave some sort or wrapper or ash etc. in the front seat area. MOO MOO MOO

If he had used laced weed before he left on the trip, how long does it take to have an effect? He would have traveled about 30 miles before coming to the intersection where he did not make the right turn. Does it take that long to bring him to hallucinations, or disorientation or would he have to have been smoking on the trip down which it seems would leave some sort or wrapper or ash etc. in the front seat area. MOO MOO MOO
We really have no details since the vehicle was not inventoried. DPS specifically stated that they were unable to inventory the vehicle because the doors were locked. DPS only reported what they found inside the backpack-- which was reportedly located 100 feet south of the wrecked vehicle.

I'm confused by reports that LE was limited by the car doors being locked. Wasn't the rear window smashed and essentially gone? Even if they didn't want someone to climb in (possibly obscuring evidence) wouldn't they be able to reach in from there with some kind of device to unlock the doors?

For those of you who suspect he chose to walk away and is not wanting to be found--- why did he leave whatever drugs behind? Why did he spread his belongings out on the road? I guess he could have been trying to stage a scene, but why bother?

I'm confused by reports that LE was limited by the car doors being locked. Wasn't the rear window smashed and essentially gone? Even if they didn't want someone to climb in (possibly obscuring evidence) wouldn't they be able to reach in from there with some kind of device to unlock the doors?
My best guess is they didn't think they needed to break in (or bother trying to unlock the doors). In their minds, he was going to show back up, so they release the car back to the owner (dad) and were waiting for him to call and say he was ok. It wasn't until much later that they realized he wasn't coming back and should have been treating this as a possible crime scene.

For those of you who suspect he chose to walk away and is not wanting to be found--- why did he leave whatever drugs behind? Why did he spread his belongings out on the road? I guess he could have been trying to stage a scene, but why bother?

Makes sense to me, whatever state he was in, he was walking AND opening his backpack to find something, then dug deeper, stopping to pull out contents of his backpack to aid in his search. Finding or not finding whatever that may have been, he cast off the backpack, needing it no longer. Maybe he was looking for his wallet or his phone, and not finding them he gave up. Maybe he found whatever it was and took it with him. A tablet, other narcotics, cash, we can only guess. My theory, 100ft or 900ft from his car, Jason's backpack simply was no longer useful to him...

Unfortunately, none of that gives insight into what happened after that....

JMO

Last edited:

You make a good point. An experienced drug user might recognize what was happening and try to respond in some semi-rational way. Hunter S. Thompson, for example, described seeing bats in the desert and realized they were merely a drug induced hallucination (see Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). JL had "narcotics" in his backpack of unknown type and amount, so it's hard to say if this hypothetical situation would in any way be to him a familiar experience.

I'd think they'd have a jimmy tool in their possession, and the training to use it. I locked my keys in my car once and a guy came with his tool and unlocked the door in the blink of an eye. Maybe police can't have one? I'd think they'd come in handy to rescue someone inside that needs immediate help.

If he wanted to disappear, he probably would have taken some of the stuff found in backpack, especially any meds or drugs. I can’t see risking an accident, when anything can happen, just to disappear. It is hard to get car to spin around (I think I read that?) and be in control of the outcome, imo.

I'd think they'd have a jimmy tool in their possession, and the training to use it. I locked my keys in my car once and a guy came with his tool and unlocked the door in the blink of an eye. Maybe police can't have one? I'd think they'd come in handy to rescue someone inside that needs immediate help.
Around my area - LE quit using Slim Jims.
Liability of car damage. Tow operators and mobile locksmiths got mad because it was cutting into their business. Slim Jim’s could be used fairly easy on older cars. You can screw up the weather strip/rubber piece around the window if you’re not careful.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member