Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old video, probably a re-post, of JS when he took over Steelback from FDA. It closed 1 1/2 years after JS took control.

Sherman took control of Steelback in May 2008, six months after the company was given court protection from its creditors.

Among the creditors was Wasanda Enterprises Inc., owned by pharmaceutical magnate Barry Sherman, Jonathon's father.

Wasanda was owed more than $100 million by Steelback and D'Angelo Brands, a juice and sports drink company, according to court documents.”
Last call for Steelback: Report

It’s a great visual, but scary.
'I can tell you I was not involved;' Barry Sherman's son was asked to repay millions to his dad - 680 NEWS
''Stepping out of my car on a snowy day in late December I see nobody about. It’s a gloomy afternoon, but there are no lights on in the log cabin where the road dead ends. To one side, a long, rectangular garage. The metallic rasp of a door latch breaks the silence and a man steps out, wearing jeans, a hoodie and a coat.''

thanks to people for the color.

i am not behind the paywall, unfortunately (and don't feel like subcribing for one article)

but my understanding from comments seems to be that JS sister Alex pushed for more faster active cooperation with police and shutting down/transferring info from private investigation.

and comments seemed to suggest she sent alot of info to KD

did BS have a "you have to be more financial responsible/independent" discussion with his kids"?.. it strikes me the 3 daughters got nice support from parents but it was more for personal spending and cars/houses and not investments. and cars/houses/personal spending A) has some sort of finite limit, B) not necessarily a reasonable expectation that they can/would pay you back....... whereas investments have some expectation of return........

i saw a comment about BS/HS kids and failed marriages.......... is alex still married and JS still with AP?

i am not behind the paywall, unfortunately (and don't feel like subcribing for one article)

but my understanding from comments seems to be that JS sister Alex pushed for more faster active cooperation with police and shutting down/transferring info from private investigation.

did BS have a "you have to be more financial responsible/independent" discussion with his kids"?.. it strikes me the 3 daughters got nice support from parents but it was more for personal spending and cars/houses and not investments. and cars/houses/personal spending A) has some sort of finite limit, B) not necessarily a reasonable expectation that they can/would pay you back....... whereas investments have some expectation of return........

i saw a comment about BS/HS kids and failed marriages.......... is alex still married and JS still with AP?

It has been reported that AS and BK are separated. JS and his husband FM are together afaik. Afaik JS is still business partners with AP although AP also works in the investment business with a private equity firm.
Leadership – Harlo Financial

My guess is that there are a few reasons. Mainly I think perhaps he’s a narcissist and wants to control his own media narrative. MOO. He may also be trying to communicate with his siblings if they won’t speak to him & have blocked him out. Not very wise move though IMO.

Nailed it, IMO. He's feeling pressure - from the increase in media coverage, and perhaps from LE. Trying to control the narrative but having no ability to comprehend how much more suspicious all that he revealed makes him look. He thinks people will see him as a beleaguered persecuted victim when he comes across as anything but.

He was already at the top of my suspect list, he just skyrocketed so far above others with that interview that there isn't even a close second anymore.

The whole time stamp thing does not makes sense to me and i have zero understanding about cryptocurrency. What exactly does/could, it indicate and why? rbbm.

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business
''I also ask Jonathon about his whereabouts the week of his parents’ deaths, particularly the Wednesday evening. In our email exchange in December, Jonathon had shared a photo he took of his hand and a note with the time code of 7:17 p.m. Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and the location of his home visible on the smartphone photo. Police have said the Shermans were killed that evening, likely between 9 p.m. and midnight.

Jonathon says he snapped the photo that evening to have a record of a “seed code” for his cryptocurrency account and that the hand in the photo is his. He says he also has a photo on his phone taken the next morning at 8:30 a.m., and the location is at his home.

I suggest to him that a photo of his hand taken at 7:17 p.m. at his family compound outside Toronto does not necessarily mean he could not have gone to his parents’ house later that night. Jonathon agrees, but says he has always assumed that whoever killed his parents “hired someone else.”

The whole time stamp thing does not makes sense to me and i have zero understanding about cryptocurrency. What exactly does/could, it indicate and why? rbbm.

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business
''I also ask Jonathon about his whereabouts the week of his parents’ deaths, particularly the Wednesday evening. In our email exchange in December, Jonathon had shared a photo he took of his hand and a note with the time code of 7:17 p.m. Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and the location of his home visible on the smartphone photo. Police have said the Shermans were killed that evening, likely between 9 p.m. and midnight.

Jonathon says he snapped the photo that evening to have a record of a “seed code” for his cryptocurrency account and that the hand in the photo is his. He says he also has a photo on his phone taken the next morning at 8:30 a.m., and the location is at his home.

I suggest to him that a photo of his hand taken at 7:17 p.m. at his family compound outside Toronto does not necessarily mean he could not have gone to his parents’ house later that night. Jonathon agrees, but says he has always assumed that whoever killed his parents “hired someone else.”
Agreed. I'm as confused as you. If that photo is supposed to unlock something for him and his crypto account/seed, then he shared it with another person (whom could also conceivably use it to gain access??)? In any case, it's almost as if JS believes that photo somehow proves that he couldn't have murdered his parents.. which.. if he was shown/proven to be at home at both 7:17pm on the Wednesday and 8:30am on the Thursday, and yet nothing in between ... is he giving away that, had the medical examiner been able to put an exact time on the murders, these times would have been at least one of them???? And if so, then doesn't that give away that he has knowledge that he *shouldn't* have, if he was in the clear?? And if it just proves what KD is saying, that he was home at each of those separate times, then.. what the hay?? JS is surely smarter than to think a pic of a moment in time would suffice as an alibi of being somewhere else for the 13+ hours in between?? I feel like maybe the police may be able to make better sense of it, given they have all the info, and hopefully it will indeed provide them with intel. Seems to me like JS may have screwed up doing this. But what do I know, and just a guess. imo.

ETA: Or... is it as simple as... his young entitled mind just couldn't resist sharing with anyone who'd listen, that he owns some cryptocurrency????

I wonder what it was exactly, that changed AS's opinion on that her own brother 'was involved' in the murder of their parents? And further, that the PI team should discontinue their investigation and forward all of their material to TPS?

from today's Star article:

Most vexing to him, he says, is that his sister Alex thinks he was involved, which has created a rift he believes will never heal.
---
While he, his sister Alex and her husband Brad were allied at the start of the private probe — having regular meetings together with Greenspan and private detective Tom Klatt — Jonathon says that at some point, Alex started thinking he was somehow involved in the murders. Eventually, she hired criminal lawyer John Rosen to push Greenspan to end his probe and give everything it had collected to the police. That happened in late 2019 and Toronto police say they are still going over 20 gigabytes of information compiled by the private investigators.
Dang right it's a 'rift that will never heal'. Can you imagine your own sibling 'thinking' that you were the murderer of your shared parents? Not only one, but two of them? From all we have seen and heard about/from AS, it seems like she has a good head on her shoulders, imho. Would she really risk destroying her lifelong relationship with her brother, if she didn't have believable and valid information to suggest that he WAS involved?

Just checking in after I saw more news, only to discover my email notifications had again stopped. But now it doesn't take me pages and pages going to months old threads to get to new posts. I always save my last email notification and use it again if I haven't had a new one for a couple of days.

Anyway, here are a couple of articles not behind a paywall.

'I can tell you I was not involved;' Barry Sherman's son was asked to repay millions to his dad - 680 NEWS

Agreed. I'm as confused as you. If that photo is supposed to unlock something for him and his crypto account/seed, then he shared it with another person (whom could also conceivably use it to gain access??)? In any case, it's almost as if JS believes that photo somehow proves that he couldn't have murdered his parents.. which.. if he was shown/proven to be at home at both 7:17pm on the Wednesday and 8:30am on the Thursday, and yet nothing in between ... is he giving away that, had the medical examiner been able to put an exact time on the murders, these times would have been at least one of them???? And if so, then doesn't that give away that he has knowledge that he *shouldn't* have, if he was in the clear?? And if it just proves what KD is saying, that he was home at each of those separate times, then.. what the hay?? JS is surely smarter than to think a pic of a moment in time would suffice as an alibi of being somewhere else for the 13+ hours in between?? I feel like maybe the police may be able to make better sense of it, given they have all the info, and hopefully it will indeed provide them with intel. Seems to me like JS may have screwed up doing this. But what do I know, and just a guess. imo.

ETA: Or... is it as simple as... his young entitled mind just couldn't resist sharing with anyone who'd listen, that he owns some cryptocurrency????

I am not even close to being tech savvy. Can I change the time on my phone, then take a picture and have the time appear as if it was taken at the altered time? Not accusing anyone, I’m just curious.
In defence of JS he was asked by KD where he was around the time of the murders. He used the pictures to try and answer this question. I don’t see anything sinister about that.
I would have to believe that LE has reviewed JS phone and it’s content already. Could it be possible that they haven’t done that yet? I can’t imagine they haven’t.
What I do find strange is that when KD pointed out that the time stamps on the photos didn’t necessarily vindicate him, JS didn’t immediately say that he had an alibi (like he was home with his family, with friends, etc). Instead he immediately went to speculating that the murderers were hired by someone, thereby implying that the person that did the hiring wouldnt have Been present at the scene of the crime. Very strange response IMO.

Last edited:

It has been reported that AS and BK are separated. JS and his husband FM are together afaik. Afaik JS is still business partners with AP although AP also works in the investment business with a private equity firm.
Leadership – Harlo Financial
It was also written in KD's book that the youngest daughter, KS's new marriage, which happened only months after her parents were murdered, ended after 3 months, and that the couple were officially divorced in 2019.

Mary, Honey's sister, was not invited to Kaelen's wedding in April 2018 at the McMichael Canadian Art Gallery in Kleinburg. Her marriage to the electrician did not last long. Within three months, the couple separated and by summer 2019 were divorced. People close to the Shermans use the word "collateral damage," a military term, to refer to what happened in the aftermath of the murders.
ebook pg 272

Police also interviewed Jared Render, who at the time was Kaelen’s fiancé. Render tells police Barry is very generous and is paying for the entire wedding (Kaelen and Jared were married and divorced in the space of six months, after the Sherman funeral.)
People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation

Wow he was so busy learning cryptocurrency trading in Japan that he didn’t’ give the mortgages a thought. What a coincidence.
While in Japan, he said, he “started learning and trading” cryptocurrency and put the whole matter of the mortgages out of his mind.

The Correct Storage Company?
Are we sure we have the correct 'Green Storage'? On the CEWS Registry, it indicates the operating name of the business is: Business Name: GREEN STORAGE SOLUTIONS INC.

Operating Name: NET ZERO CONSTRUCTION ....
@deugirtni sbm Good question.
1. The JS-affiliated co. "GREEN STORAGE SOLUTIONS INC." above came from ??? Sorry I've missed a lot of info on threads.
2. I searched multiple iterations of above names, but maybe not the right one, at Home - Corporations Canada and Search for a Federal Corporation - Online Filing Centre - Corporations Canada - Corporations - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada w zero results or findings. Could be wrong WS as it refers to federal corp's. Maybe each Canadian province maintains a registry of provincial corps?

{eta: This Jan 11, 2021 article* refers to "chain of nine self storage properties."
Home | Green Storage/ the source of rental pricing in my post yesterday says co. has eight locations.
Leads me to think that is the 'correct' Green Storage.}

* Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business - Today News Post

Last edited:

The cryptocurrency thing is an strange detail I keep coming back to. As far as I know, It’s an infamously untraceable way to transfer large payments because many of them, like Bitcoin, are anonymous. JS says that on the night of the murder, he took a picture of his hand, and a note with the time code of 7:17 and his crypto “seed code”. That’s an odd coincidence, isn’t it?

Since I know nothing about crypto, I did a bit of research. I’m not sure which one he was using, but it seems that pretty consistently across most cryptos, this is how seed phrases work:

“A seed phrase, seed recovery phrase or backup seed phrase is a list of words which store all the information needed to recover Bitcoin funds on-chain. Wallet software will typically generate a seed phrase and instruct the user to write it down on paper.” (Seed phrase - Bitcoin Wiki)

This is consistent with what JS did, which is take a picture of a code on a piece of paper. Now, it also goes on to say that “Anybody else who discovers the phrase can steal the bitcoins, so it must be kept safe like jewels or cash”.

Here’s the question: why did JS take a picture of his seed phrase on his phone? IMO, since it’s so insecure (i.e. anyone that accessed the picture could access the funds), it ONLY makes sense to me that he would do this unless he was using crypto that night to send funds. Especially since he still has the photo...why would he risk keeping the pic on his phone unless the wallet had been emptied?

This is all speculation of course, and my opinion only. But LE, and private companies that specialize in this, DO have ways of tracing blockchains (crypto transactions). If I was a detective on this case, I would definitely want to know why JS was using a seed phrase the night his parents were killed.

thx for even more colour :)

I may have said something that is wrong...... AP is not JS husband. that is FM, I believe.. and there 2 AP's in Toronto.

what about the JS friend that BS gave large mortgage to?..... not re: murder. but what was that all about?....... was that JS romantic friend at time? my recollection is "no"

The cryptocurrency thing is an strange detail I keep coming back to. As far as I know, It’s an infamously untraceable way to transfer large payments because many of them, like Bitcoin, are anonymous. JS says that on the night of the murder, he took a picture of his hand, and a note with the time code of 7:17 and his crypto “seed code”. That’s an odd coincidence, isn’t it?

Since I know nothing about crypto, I did a bit of research. I’m not sure which one he was using, but it seems that pretty consistently across most cryptos, this is how seed phrases work:

“A seed phrase, seed recovery phrase or backup seed phrase is a list of words which store all the information needed to recover Bitcoin funds on-chain. Wallet software will typically generate a seed phrase and instruct the user to write it down on paper.” (Seed phrase - Bitcoin Wiki)

This is consistent with what JS did, which is take a picture of a code on a piece of paper. Now, it also goes on to say that “Anybody else who discovers the phrase can steal the bitcoins, so it must be kept safe like jewels or cash”.

Here’s the question: why did JS take a picture of his seed phrase on his phone? IMO, since it’s so insecure (i.e. anyone that accessed the picture could access the funds), it ONLY makes sense to me that he would do this unless he was using crypto that night to send funds. Especially since he still has the photo...why would he risk keeping the pic on his phone unless the wallet had been emptied?

This is all speculation of course, and my opinion only. But LE, and private companies that specialize in this, DO have ways of tracing blockchains (crypto transactions). If I was a detective on this case, I would definitely want to know why JS was using a seed phrase the night his parents were killed.
I think you could have nailed it re paying someone in cryptocurrency for services rendered. If it was ever traced JS could claim it was stolen from his account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23