Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any significance at all to that KD's latest story came out on Jan 11th, while his coveted interview that he'd been hoping for for 3 years, took place way back on December 19th? I'm sure it would take awhile to review his info with previous info he already had on file and incorporate it together, and to write the article itself.. and possibly to do some verifying of things(?).. and then the holiday season.. and possibly the Star's lineup of articles already booked, maybe KD had a vacation (to nowhere due to Covid!?) booked? Ok, if you can't tell, I'm getting almost giddy with anticipation here, it's probably just me getting myself all worked up about more piecemeal. But something's gotta break! Soon! Please!

It is noon on Dec. 19, 2020, just over three years from the day that Barry, 75, and Honey, 70, were found dead of “ligature neck compression” in their north Toronto home. Toronto police homicide detectives say the case is active and ongoing and that they have numerous persons of interest and a “theory” of what happened. Who those people are, and what the theory is, police will not say.

I have been trying to speak to Jonathon Sherman for a long time and he has granted me this opportunity because, he says, he is tired of people talking behind his back, speculating that he had something to do with the killings. Most vexing to him, he says, is that his sister Alex thinks he was involved, which has created a rift he believes will never heal.

[QUOTE="deugirtni, post: 16563581, member: 69662"Ok, if you can't tell, I'm getting almost giddy with anticipation here, it's probably just me getting myself all worked up about more piecemeal. But something's gotta break! Soon! Please!
[/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same feeling! Interesting that JS said his sister thinks he was "involved", not that he did it. I've thought all along that the actual killers were hired but given very specific instructions as to staging etc., and were likely out of the country with a large payment well before the bodies were found. Others have commented that professional hired assassins wouldn't create that scene, but if the motive from their employer was a deeply-held grudge as well as just financial, I'm sure they would follow orders. Just my opinion, of course, but that scenario explains why accessing and assembling all the evidence could be a real challenge for TPS.

Ok, if you can't tell, I'm getting almost giddy with anticipation here, it's probably just me getting myself all worked up about more piecemeal. But something's gotta break! Soon! Please!

I had exactly the same feeling! Interesting that JS said his sister thinks he was "involved", not that he did it. I've thought all along that the actual killers were hired but given very specific instructions as to staging etc., and were likely out of the country with a large payment well before the bodies were found. Others have commented that professional hired assassins wouldn't create that scene, but if the motive from their employer was a deeply-held grudge as well as just financial, I'm sure they would follow orders. Just my opinion, of course, but that scenario explains why accessing and assembling all the evidence could be a real challenge for TPS.
It's possible that the hiring party wanted to be present, and possibly participated in the staging part of things.

From the KD article (2 quotes):
...."On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities..."

"...While in Japan, he said, he “started learning and trading” cryptocurrency..."

Questions:
1) Does it seem reasonable that JS didn't have money to help fund some of the $6.2 million+ amount that he and AP said they required virtually immediately, but yet he had money available to start investing in cryptocurrency "while in Japan"? (Maybe that's how it worked with JS- perhaps he was never expected to use his own money or contribute his own money to the business, and instead always went to his father for funding???)
2) Is it reasonable that a person would fly half way around the world to Japan on a supposed vacation with their spouse and then sit around and learn about trading cryptocurrencies? Because you don't learn about that by touring Japan AFAIK. Unless of course he went on the well known and immensely popular "Japan Cryptocurrency Trading Tour" ....o_O

In Dispute: A Compendium of Key Cases - Lerners
Jan 13 2021
''Donovan v. Sherman Estate,
2019 ONCA 376: New test for sealing orders?

The tragic and unique facts of this case provide an opportunity for the Supreme Court of Canada to re-consider its own test, established almost two decades ago in the leading case Sierra Club of Canada v. Canada (Minister of Finance), [2002] 2 S.C.R. 522, with respect to when a sealing order will be granted. The Supreme Court of Canada heard argument on the Donovan v. Sherman Estate matter on October 6, 2020. Judgment is under reserve and is expected to be rendered in 2021.

It has been widely reported in the media that Bernard and Honey Sherman were brutally murdered in their home on or about December 15, 2017, and that no person has been charged with their murders. In June, 2019, the trustees of the estates of the Shermans brought ex parte applications for the issuance of Certificates of Appointment of Estate Trustee and for orders sealing the court file. They argued that there was no public interest to be served by allowing the privacy of the victims and their family to be invaded and “adding more fuel to the publicity fire”. They also argued that the lack of tangible information about the motives and perpetrator(s) creates a reasonable apprehension of risk of physical harm to those who are the administrators or beneficiaries of the estates of the two victims. Sealing orders were granted on June 29, 2018.

In July, 2018, Kevin Donovan sought and was denied access to the estate court files. Donovan is a Toronto Star journalist, who wrote the book, “The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman”. Thereafter, the Toronto Star and Donovan brought an application to terminate or vary the sealing orders. By order dated August 2, 2018, the application judge varied the sealing orders to provide for a two-year expiry.

Upon appeal by Donovan, the Ontario Court of Appeal set aside the sealing orders. It noted that sealing orders are exceptional because of the well-established open court principle, pursuant to which court proceedings and filings are accessible to the public. The party seeking a sealing order prohibiting access to the public bears the burden of demonstrating both:

1. that the order is necessary to prevent a serious risk to an important public interest which cannot be protected by any other reasonable alternative methods, and under this branch of the test, the nature and significance of the public interest in access to the material is irrelevant (the necessity requirement); and
  2. that the salutary effects of the sealing order outweigh its deleterious effects, including the negative effects on the right to freedom of expression and other public interests served by open and accessible court proceedings (the balancing requirement).
The Court of Appeal recognized the understandable desire of the Sherman family to grieve out of the public spotlight and to keep family and estate-related matters private, but said that personal concerns, without more, cannot justify a sealing order. There must be a public interest component. It found that the personal safety of individuals is an important public interest that can warrant a sealing order, but not in this case. The application judge relied upon speculation, not evidence, about the risk of physical harm. The inference to be drawn is that evidence of a reasonable apprehension of physical harm to an individual could be an important public interest that could meet the “necessity” requirement of the test for a sealing order.

The Supreme Court of Canada granted the Sherman Estate’s application for leave to appeal. The issues squarely before the Court are: (1) as to the “necessity” part of the test for a sealing order, whether there is room for recognition that a party’s personal privacy rights may constitute a public interest worthy of protection by a sealing order and, if so, what evidence will be required to establish it; and (2) as to the “balancing” part of the test, how fundamental rights of privacy and the open court principle will be weighed as against each other. The open court principle is said to further the important policy objective of enhancing public confidence in the administration of justice by making court proceedings open and transparent. It is also consistent with s. 2(b) Charter rights, and is one of the bases upon which the media invariably rely when challenging sealing orders.''

...."On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities..."

"...While in Japan, he said, he “started learning and trading” cryptocurrency..."

Questions:
1) Does it seem reasonable that JS didn't have money to help fund some of the $6.2 million+ amount that he and AP said they required virtually immediately, but yet he had money available to start investing in cryptocurrency "while in Japan"? (Maybe that's how it worked with JS- perhaps he was never expected to use his own money or contribute his own money to the business, and instead always went to his father for funding???)
2) Is it reasonable that a person would fly half way around the world to Japan on a supposed vacation with their spouse and then sit around and learn about trading cryptocurrencies? Because you don't learn about that by touring Japan AFAIK. Unless of course he went on the well known and immensely popular "Japan Cryptocurrency Trading Tour" ....o_O
Good questions. Did JS not have to provide any of his own funds for *any* of his own business OR personal needs? It seems that JS was quite needy right at the time of the murders, not only in his business as established above, but also in regard to his developing family. The below is talking about Wednesday, December 13, 2017:

Barry heads to the office mid-morning. He is wearing one of two belts Honey recently purchased at Canadian Tire for $9.99 each, and “proudly” shows off how good it looks to Honey and Denise Gold.

One order of business for Barry is to authorize a new payment son Jonathon has requested for the surrogacy. In an email Jonathon asks his father to wire transfer $17,677 USD that Wednesday morning and Barry replies at 10:51 a.m. with an email to a staffer at Sherfam, the family holding company, instructing her to send the funds. The week before, Barry had (according to documents) sent $311,609 to a U.S. company in West Virginia that was handling the surrogacy. Barry sent the money, though he commented the cost “seems very high.” Barry and Honey used surrogates for three of their four children, but that was years before.

Wednesday afternoon is uneventful at Apotex. Barry is trying to figure out where to come up with the $580 million for the patent case he lost (in his world, as colleagues have told the Star, Barry can lose a case, but then six months later gamble on a new patent case he is fighting and win back twice as much).

Did someone know Barry and Honey Sherman’s schedule? Close friends were away and they had nothing planned

Questions:
If he was his father, BS, and he spent his vacation learning about things to improve his business or whatever, that could make sense. But JS? Something that can be learned from home? Something tells me, not.

It has struck me often, that BS admired people who worked hard, whether or not they were in a prestigious occupation/business, whether or not they were necessarily successful at it.. but just the mere work ethic of someone who works hard.

Such a trait seems to be the furthest thing involved in JS's life. Just flew to Japan on vacation.. comes home on the Tuesday evening, entertains old friends on the Thursday evening, heads out for some well-deserved, I'm sure, leisure time at the cottage on Friday morning. Quite a different lifestyle from his father, the workaholic who seemed to be funding every aspect of JS's life, even though it has been reported that JS had received well over 100 million dollars already in his short lifetime, prior to the murders.

From the ebook:
Sherman's belief was that a good job and hard work could cure all ills.
ebook pg 138
--
While he [FDA] may not have the Midas touch, he has made a great deal of luck over the years simply by working hard and being in the right place at the right time.
ebook pg 199
--
"Frank is a character's character. What's not to like?" Kay said.
"And Frank is an idea-a-second guy, and he works his *advertiser censored* off. Barry liked people who had ideas but didn't have the wherewithal to bring those ideas to fruition."

ebook pg 199-201
--
"I didn't agree with Barry as to the amount of money he invested with Frank. I said, 'I don't think we will see any return.' But Barry said Frank is one hard-working guy," Kay tells me.
ebook pg 203
--
From the news:
Jonathon and husband Fred Mercure are winding up a trip to Japan, a country that Honey and Barry were planning to visit a few months later. Barry had emailed Jonathon during the trip (on Dec. 7) and with characteristic Barry wit, writes: “Hope you are having a good time in Japan. Say hello to the Emperor for me. Are you having an Xmas party this year?”

[my note: note that the email from BS to JS written on December 7th noted above, enquires about an Xmas party this year, but a later article notes that JS mentioned the reply to that, not until Thursday, December 14th, an entire week later, and after the couple were already dead? - "The last email Jonathon says he sent his father — on Dec. 14, 2017, when police believe Barry and Honey were already dead — was to invite him to a Christmas party at his forested compound with Mercure and Mercure’s family."
Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business - Today News Post

That Thursday night, son Jonathon had a planned dinner with friends from his summer camp days (including friend Josh Scheinert) at the Country Style Hungarian restaurant on Bloor Street in Toronto. Scheinert says the friends grew up with fond memories of the Old Colony house. At the dinner, the old camp friends joked about having one last party at the house, and those at the dinner felt awful when they realized the next day that the Shermans were “lying dead at that time in the house.”
By 6 p.m. Friday night shocked family were gathering at Alexandra and Brad’s house in Forest Hill. Kaelen and her fiancé arrived in the early afternoon. Jonathon and Fred had driven that morning to Apsley (near Peterborough) to check out their new cottage, and drove back to Toronto.

Did someone know Barry and Honey Sherman’s schedule? Close friends were away and they had nothing planned

Didnt HS uncharacteristically miss a meeting/appointment and her response was that she 'was sorting something out'?

Perhaps the fur was flying between B&HS and JS at that point. The final straw as it were...

Didnt HS uncharacteristically miss a meeting/appointment and her response was that she 'was sorting something out'?

Perhaps the fur was flying between B&HS and JS at that point. The final straw as it were...
By Anne Kingston and Michael Friscolanti
Endless court battles, angry relatives and shady players: the truth about Barry Sherman
''On Dec. 12, 2017, the day before the couple was last seen alive, Honey missed a scheduled meeting at the Baycrest Centre Foundation. Were it any other board member, no one would’ve paid heed, says Josh Cooper, the foundation’s president and CEO. But Honey, a beloved queen bee in the upper echelons of Canadian philanthropy, was known for showing up—or else saying she couldn’t. “It was bizarre,” says Cooper. They sent an email to make sure she was okay. “Honey got back to us right away,” he says. “She said she was dealing with some stuff.”

Easy for someone to say that every dollar 'borrowed' has been paid back, when that same someone is also saying there was an agreement that NONE of it was to be paid back, and therefore, presumably, none of it had technically been 'borrowed'. It seems it was 'given'!

As to the $125 million in interest-free loans his father had advanced his company over the years, Jonathon said he paid that money back to the Sherman estate from his first “dispersal” of funds from the estate. (The money is being released to the four children in stages, although much of the fortune is tied up in Apotex which remains for sale.) “Every dollar borrowed has been returned,” he says.

As to the request from his father to repay the $50 million to $60 million, Jonathon tells me that my questions are making “a lot more of that request” than he did at the time. “We never really saw it as a threat,” Jonathon says. He says a shareholder agreement existed between father and son that said “we never have to give you back any money.”

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business - Today News Post

“We never really saw it as a threat,” [J] says.

What does that mean? The addition of the unnecessary word, 'really'?

We never *really* saw it as a threat, just 'kinda/sorta'?

We never *really* saw it as a threat, we just pretended/acted like we did?

We never *really* saw it as a threat, but better safe than sorry?

We never *really* saw it as a threat..... who would've thought of it as a 'threat' in the first place, to have been asked to return a small portion of monies which had been previously forwarded, and only temporarily at that? I didn't see any indication of BS saying anything like, 'and if you don't, I'll have to break your legs', or any other 'threats'?

With the Greenspan probe shelved by late 2019, Jonathon says he launched his own private investigation led by Robert Seiden a lawyer and former prosecutor from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office who now runs the U.S.-based company called Confidential Global Investigations. He says he hired Seiden because of Seiden’s personal history — he pursued a law career after his brother, an innocent bystander, was killed during a mob hit.

As part of his investigation team, Seiden has hired a former Toronto police homicide detective who has “good” relations with the Toronto force, Jonathon told me.

Interesting that JS would choose 'CGI' to perform his own private investigation?
-----
Main Office:
NEW YORK
469 Seventh Avenue, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10018

Partner Offices:
CHINA
The Bo Run Building, Chaoyang District
Beijing, People’s Republic of China

22F The Workstation, 43 Lyndhurst Terrace
Central, Hong Kong

ENGLAND
One Canada Square, 29th Floor, Canary Wharf
London, E14 5DY

ISRAEL
Operations HQ, 6 Hamasger St. PO 3020
Ra’anana 43000, Israel

DUBAI
Dubai International Financial Centre
Sheikh Zayed Rd., United Arab Emirates

SOUTH AFRICA
9 Protea Place, Sandton, 2031
Johannesburg

CGI’s team includes the former head of INTERPOL, the former deputy head of New York State Homeland Security, staff of the NYPD counter-terrorism team, former FBI, CIA, and IRS agents as well as numerous experts from the private sector. CGI’s core focus is financial-related investigations, court-appointed receiverships, finding hidden assets, and complex projects where FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. CGI conducts field investigations around the world, background checks for individuals, major financial institutions and law firms, brand protection investigations, forensic accounting, computer forensics, personal and corporate security, surveillance, covert intelligence gathering, and deep web due diligence.

Confidential Global Investigations – CGI is Licensed by the New York Department of State, Division of Licensing Services

From the CHI website: RBBM re the discussion about bitcoin/cryptocurrency

CGI’s state of the art forensic laboratories can handle even the most difficult computer forensic problem. Our computer forensic technicians, many retired from law enforcement computer crimes units, are capable of examining IT systems and hard drives in any location in the world.

CGI’s technicians can lawfully conduct mirror imaging or “cloning” of hard drives on desk tops, PC’s and PDA’s on-site. Once the hard drive has been duplicated, sophisticated software is used to analyze the data using client specified “keywords”. CGI’s computer forensics technicians also determine whether files have been deleted, tampered with, altered, damaged or otherwise removed. We can uncover password-protected or encrypted files and locate hidden data on hard drives, even if deleted or destroyed using software.

The whole time stamp thing does not makes sense to me and i have zero understanding about cryptocurrency. What exactly does/could, it indicate and why? rbbm.

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business
''I also ask Jonathon about his whereabouts the week of his parents’ deaths, particularly the Wednesday evening. In our email exchange in December, Jonathon had shared a photo he took of his hand and a note with the time code of 7:17 p.m. Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and the location of his home visible on the smartphone photo. Police have said the Shermans were killed that evening, likely between 9 p.m. and midnight.

Jonathon says he snapped the photo that evening to have a record of a “seed code” for his cryptocurrency account and that the hand in the photo is his. He says he also has a photo on his phone taken the next morning at 8:30 a.m., and the location is at his home.

I suggest to him that a photo of his hand taken at 7:17 p.m. at his family compound outside Toronto does not necessarily mean he could not have gone to his parents’ house later that night. Jonathon agrees, but says he has always assumed that whoever killed his parents “hired someone else.”

Further to dotr's query about JS bringing up cryptocurrency (he started learning and trading it in Japan) and how his time stamp photos of his account "seed code" obviously do not prove an alibi for him---I think again, that this may be an example of JS using KD to explain away possible evidence that is part of LE's investigation. Is it possible that JS could have used Bitcoin transfer(s) for nefarious reasons (eg a hired hit). Not saying that he did, but it could have been an anonymous transfer (per the article below). Just food for thought.

While on vacation, he ignored BS's previous request, and more recent, urgent request for his immediate action to take out mortgages to pay him back $50-60m asap. Neither he, nor his partner Paulin ever arranged the promised mortgages, although they did hit BS up for $6.2m short term cash to be transferred by BS on Dec. 15, to hold them over until the mortgage financing came in (which neither secured on their storage properties).

The investigation into the recent attack on the US capital has found evidence that Bitcoin transfers from France may have been used to fund alt-right recipients. There are no banks (or their recordings) involved in cryptocurrency dealings. Bitcoin transactions are handled in blockchain, which creates an unbreakable and unalterable record. While transactions are often anonymous, a skilled computer-savvy investigator can track the sender and the recipient.

"Transfer of 28.15 Bitcoins on Dec. 8 to 22 alt-right recipients may have been used to help organize the Jan.6 assault on the the U.S. Capitol, investigators believe.
The Bitcoins were valued at more than $500,000 at the time of the transfer."

$500,000 in Bitcoin may have financed groups who planned Capitol assault

I find it interesting that AS felt she had to hire her own lawyer to get Greenspan to end the family's private investigation and hand over all of their findings to TPS... which he did. Then we heard through paperwork obtained via the courts by KD that police were wondering if some of the information had been held back. Prior to that, Greenspan had been hoping for a sharing of information with and from TPS, a 'public/private partnership' of sorts, but of course, TPS would only allow it to be a one-way-street. Police asked the public to repeat any tips directly to TPS which they had previously sent in to the PI team. We heard/read about an abundance of documents finally being received by TPS, and also finally information from a ITO from an international source that had been submitted months earlier. We heard that analyists scoured the data and drafted a report of their findings. We have heard that the 'one' officer reviewing all of the paperwork has said TPS had started noticing an 'emerging pattern' rather early on. We have read that the Crown Attorney has been consulted by homicide investigators working on the case from TPS, but not why. We know that a decision will come soon from the Supreme Court of Canada, at which time more information may become released to KD/media. Now we hear that JS hired his own private investigation, the main person of which then hired a former TPS homicide investigator who continues to maintain good relations with TPS. (Hopefully TPS know who this person is, and does not share any info with him!)

Is JS checking out what TPS can conceivably be checking out on himself? Why did he not just continue paying Greenspan and his team since they were already privy to the details of the case? Did Greenspan find himself in an awkward position, perhaps possibly even a conflict of interest?

I find it interesting that AS felt she had to hire her own lawyer to get Greenspan to end the family's private investigation and hand over all of their findings to TPS... which he did. Then we heard through paperwork obtained via the courts by KD that police were wondering if some of the information had been held back. Prior to that, Greenspan had been hoping for a sharing of information with and from TPS, a 'public/private partnership' of sorts, but of course, TPS would only allow it to be a one-way-street. Police asked the public to repeat any tips directly to TPS which they had previously sent in to the PI team. We heard/read about an abundance of documents finally being received by TPS, and also finally information from a ITO from an international source that had been submitted months earlier. We heard that analyists scoured the data and drafted a report of their findings. We have heard that the 'one' officer reviewing all of the paperwork has said TPS had started noticing an 'emerging pattern' rather early on. We have read that the Crown Attorney has been consulted by homicide investigators working on the case from TPS, but not why. We know that a decision will come soon from the Supreme Court of Canada, at which time more information may become released to KD/media. Now we hear that JS hired his own private investigation, the main person of which then hired a former TPS homicide investigator who continues to maintain good relations with TPS. (Hopefully TPS know who this person is, and does not share any info with him!)

Is JS checking out what TPS can conceivably be checking out on himself? Why did he not just continue paying Greenspan and his team since they were already privy to the details of the case? Did Greenspan find himself in an awkward position, perhaps possibly even a conflict of interest?

IMO JS IS trying to do an 'end run' around the homicide department and it's imperative to have his own insider.
Must have really ticked him off when AS used legal force to pull Greenspan off the case. Yet another reason for them to not be speaking and for AS to be concerned about her own welfare and that of her children. IF she believes he had a hand in the murder of their parents, its not such a stretch to think he could murder her. MOO

IMO JS IS trying to do an 'end run' around the homicide department and it's imperative to have his own insider.
Must have really ticked him off when AS used legal force to pull Greenspan off the case. Yet another reason for them to not be speaking and for AS to be concerned about her own welfare and that of her children. IF she believes he had a hand in the murder of their parents, its not such a stretch to think he could murder her. MOO

IIRC (and it’s been many months since this happened) wasn’t there some discussion about the legalities and/or mechanics on how the Greenspan team would actually turn over its information and findings to LE? I seem to recall that there was discussion about using an intermediary to receive the info and make sure it got to the police. Am I remembering this correctly, and if so, maybe that intermediary was John Rosen?

It's possible that the hiring party wanted to be present, and possibly participated in the staging part of things.
rbbm, imo, speculation.
''I ask Jonathon why it was so important for him to bring his partner to a family business meeting, given that his father did not seem to like that idea. Jonathon says it may be a “confidence” issue with him — he does not like doing things on his own.''

On a different note, perhaps it is understandable that A. would worry that a person whom she believes "carries a gun at all times", would "pull it out and shoot her", but what intrigues me, is why would she (allegedly) think he would do this "in front of everybody"?

Who would be the "everybody", why would A think he would want to do it in front of people?
Would (shooting someone with an audience present) be a sort of victim ''shaming''?

''He says one of his siblings has told him that Alex thinks he carries a gun at all times and is going to “pull it out” and “shoot her in front of everybody.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288