Resolved NJ - Sandyston Twp., Male, 20-40, found in Stokes State Forest, 8 Dec. 2020

There are some really bright colors. does that mean they are recent tatoos?
I believe NJ State Police enhanced the images. It seems the tattoos themselves are not that bright. Having a number of tattoos myself, I would say the tattoos might be relatively old OR maybe they were just poor quality to begin with.

I also just checked NJSP's list of unidentified persons, and this man unfortunately isn't on it yet. (Maybe cases have to be of a certain age before they will add them?) I was hoping the hair and eye color info would be there.

I looked at a map of The Appalachian Trail and went through MP lists of every state that touches the trail or is very nearby the trail. I also searched NamUs using key words to describe the tattoos (e.g., star, skull). I did find one MP who kind of matched, and he wasn't listed here on Websleuths, so I added him. His name is Christopher Grey Stine. NC - Christopher Grey Stine, 35, Greensboro, 15 October 2020

I also searched a couple of discussion boards for Appalachian Trail hikers to see if there were any mentions of missing hikers who might fit this description. No luck so far.

I believe NJ State Police enhanced the images. It seems the tattoos themselves are not that bright. Having a number of tattoos myself, I would say the tattoos might be relatively old OR maybe they were just poor quality to begin with.

I think NJSP did the same thing in the Tiger Lady case out of Knowlton Twp. The tattoo on her leg was not as enhanced as the photos are.

Agree with you ChatteringBirds. My son wears those sizes and he is smaller figured. Even his gloves have size 7M on them, small size. If he had a tent, NJ had a big snow storm back aways. That amount of icy heavy snow might have flattened any tent, so you might not see the profile of a tent if there was one in a ground search. also his clothes do not look worn out at all but inside his boots you see heel wear holes. As if he did walk a lot since the outer appearance of his boots look really good. That makes me think maybe he didn't come thru PA known as ROCKSYLVANIA on the trail.....

Agree with you ChatteringBirds. My son wears those sizes and he is smaller figured. Even his gloves have size 7M on them, small size. If he had a tent, NJ had a big snow storm back aways. That amount of icy heavy snow might have flattened any tent, so you might not see the profile of a tent if there was one in a ground search. also his clothes do not look worn out at all but inside his boots you see heel wear holes. As if he did walk a lot since the outer appearance of his boots look really good. That makes me think maybe he didn't come thru PA known as ROCKSYLVANIA on the trail.....

I don't know how well the State Park was searched. As you probably know, it's HUGE and heavily wooded. I find it odd that he wasn't carrying ID, and that makes me think there might be a backpack in the woods somewhere. The fact that no car was found and - so far - no campsite (at least, not that has been mentioned in the news media) makes me think he might have been local-ish. The more densely populated areas that come to mind when I think about where he could have come from without a car are Port Jervis and Middletown, NY.

Brown hair, but decomposed state, per NamUs. High temps were in the 50's and 60's within two weeks prior to his being located. I don't know much about the decomp process, but I would assume the temperatures probably sped the process along more than temps in the 20's and 30's would have.

Last edited:
Yes, NJEverCurious! It is huge but very well traveled. I often drive out to Buttermilk, though that road is not maintained to get there in the last two years. Also so many hunters. Maybe he stayed by the trail because of that?? That drinking straw tells me quite a bit. Also the masks. I think that he was in and out of those woods. I see it quite often in my town..The trail is 3 towns out in most directions from me but I often see men, many young, with backpacks skirt the roads and use the bigger stores for quick trips. Many are in tents but have trouble come winter. Some use bikes. There are only a few places to eat in the area that he was found....I am sure they checked with those food joints.

Yes, NJEverCurious! It is huge but very well traveled. I often drive out to Buttermilk, though that road is not maintained to get there in the last two years. Also so many hunters. Maybe he stayed by the trail because of that?? That drinking straw tells me quite a bit. Also the masks. I think that he was in and out of those woods. I see it quite often in my town..The trail is 3 towns out in most directions from me but I often see men, many young, with backpacks skirt the roads and use the bigger stores for quick trips. Many are in tents but have trouble come winter. Some use bikes. There are only a few places to eat in the area that he was found....I am sure they checked with those food joints.

I agree with all of what you said and have seen those same types of hikers.

He was discovered during "gun week" of hunting, but otherwise, I'm not sure how many people go quite so far off the established hiking paths. I think the news article said he was 300 yards off the nearest path. If he was hiking the trail for a while, I would definitely think he was carrying a backpack and/or other equipment (tent, sleeping bag, something). The filtration straw makes me think he must have planned to be "off grid" for a while, but any experienced hiker would have had more gear.

I see your point about not having proper permits, but I would think not having ID would cause its own set of issues if a hiker encounters park rangers somewhere.

I was thinking maybe he was someone who was homeless but somewhat "local." Maybe he walked into the woods to get away and was overcome with whatever he was going through.

I guess I'm hoping someone will find his belongings and ID, and this poor soul can be returned to his family for burial.

The article mentions that "a small piece of tinfoil" was amongst his belongings. This makes me think that he might have been a drug user. This could possibly have contributed to his death.

I have used little bits of tinfoil and given them to my kids. Oh my...i never thought....it just had a little Excedrin or an Advil in their pockets for migraines. We get them so bad. If not in foil, they disintegrate.

I was just thinking to go back on the trail blogs a few years back. Maybe he picked that area because he had been there before. Maybe he also didn't take his backpack in case he got searched, or was worried about theft. When you have little to your name, what you have is valuable, even a backpack. I wonder if a hound could track back from some of his clothes or shoes.

No, I have seen nothing except what I read in the local source - I believe they also had a hunter fatality there at the same time they discovered this man.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back