GA GA - John Dax Dunn, 40, Coweta Co, 13 Feb 2020

This is so strange. As several talented sleuthers on this thread have already pointed out:

If JDD intended self harm:

• why rent the kayak for two (2) days?

• why take the life vest with you (from the truck)?

• why attempt to conceal the truck?

If JDD parked the truck on the dirt lane near the boat ramp on 3/1 (though we don't know for sure that he was the one who parked the truck, or that it was parked exactly on that date):

• where then was he from 2/17 - 2/28
(apparently no cc or phone activity..)?

• why would he wait 2 weeks before either going fishing or committing self harm?

• why has there been no posting by family on the "find John Dax Dunn" fb page since early March?

As JudgeJoe rightly pointed out, this may indicate that "they either know he's dead, or they know he doesn't want to be found." But (just speculating) I think there are at least two other possibilities: that they don't care if he's dead, and/or, maybe they don't want him to be found (alive or dead). Could either be the case, and if so, why?

Idk, maybe he was actually found months ago and it just wasn't reported in the news and recorded (removed from NamUs). Wouldn't be the first time. Has anyone seen an obit?

Jmo

This is so strange. As several talented sleuthers on this thread have already pointed out:

If JDD intended self harm:

• why rent the kayak for two (2) days?

• why take the life vest with you (from the truck)?

• why attempt to conceal the truck?

If JDD parked the truck on the dirt lane near the boat ramp on 3/1 (though we don't know for sure that he was the one who parked the truck, or that it was parked exactly on that date):

• where then was he from 2/17 - 2/28
(apparently no cc or phone activity..)?

• why would he wait 2 weeks before either going fishing or committing self harm?

• why has there been no posting by family on the "find John Dax Dunn" fb page since early March?

As JudgeJoe rightly pointed out, this may indicate that "they either know he's dead, or they know he doesn't want to be found." But (just speculating) I think there are at least two other possibilities: that they don't care if he's dead, and/or, maybe they don't want him to be found (alive or dead). Could either be the case, and if so, why?

Idk, maybe he was actually found months ago and it just wasn't reported in the news and recorded (removed from NamUs). Wouldn't be the first time. Has anyone seen an obit?

Jmo

Great thoughts!

I have not come across an obit. I don’t feel him being found & just not reported as so is the case. JMO. I feel with the requested divorce by the wife, if he were already found deceased it would be made sure to be known to help with the process, etc...

Great thoughts! RSBM:

I think there are at least two other possibilities: that they don't care if he's dead, and/or, maybe they don't want him to be found (alive or dead). Could either be the case, and if so, why?
Imo both your possibilities could be correct. Depending on reasons for divorce... soon-to-be ex-wife might not care if there was extreme animosity. I’m guessing the kids & friends care- but they’re not in control of his personal things & assets to search for clues. She prob is, imo. No clue how contentious or amicable the divorce was/is.

Soon-to-be ex might not want him found for financial reasons. If deceased, assets could be taken out of her control & placed in trust for kids. Filing for divorce prior to JDD going missing means she likely wouldn’t get assets & personal effects if he simply died. Having him missing buys her time to find hidden accounts, transfer funds, sell personal assets like vehicles... Not stating this as fact but conjecture. No funeral expenses with no body. In GA, she only has to wait 4 years to declare legally dead. So 3⅓ more years. That’s not long. Jmo

And of course if he was murdered, the killer (and accomplice) might not want him found if body or location provides clues to his death and killer.

I pulled up Yankeetown FL (boat ramp) on Google Earth...

Questions someone may be able to answer:
1. Is there a way to know when the satellite view was captured for a specific place? Like the year?

2. We fish in AR, but not in a kayak or in that exact type of environment. So would anyone know how far out in a kayak someone would go out to fish? Would there be reason for him to kayak in and about all those channels?

3. I wonder what type of fish were being caught & are there certain areas/places people (esp locals) would know where to go to catch those fish?

This is all assuming JDD actually went out to fish & an accident of some sort happened.

https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/AA/00/03/01/35/00269/03-12-2020.pdf

This link includes a nice, clear photo of his truck. It shows exactly how it was parked/found. The more I look at it, the more questions I have. I can’t come up with a reason why someone would park their vehicle up against trees like that?
The main reason I could think of is to get the truck into the shade. A vehicle under the shade of a tree will be much cooler to come back to than one out in the open.

The main reason I could think of is to get the truck into the shade. A vehicle under the shade of a tree will be much cooler to come back to than one out in the open.
I would think that if one puts one's truck in the shade, it's because one cares about the vehicle. So the idea of putting that truck in the shade as a method of protection is kind of negated by the fact that the "truck was parked so close to a palm tree that the truck badly scraped the tree trunk." I imagine if the trunk was scraped, so was the truck? Whoever put that truck there did not intend to come back, IMO. I don't know if it was Dax or someone else.

ETA link to quote: https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/AA/00/03/01/35/00269/03-12-2020.pdf

I would think that if one puts one's truck in the shade, it's because one cares about the vehicle. So the idea of putting that truck in the shade as a method of protection is kind of negated by the fact that the "truck was parked so close to a palm tree that the truck badly scraped the tree trunk." I imagine if the trunk was scraped, so was the truck? Whoever put that truck there did not intend to come back, IMO. I don't know if it was Dax or someone else.

ETA link to quote: https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/AA/00/03/01/35/00269/03-12-2020.pdf

Or they were inebriated when they parked the truck?

Or it was not JDD who parked the truck

I’m still struggling a little with the divorce and what that might have had to do with his disappearance. To initiate/continue proceedings looked like an attempt to flush him out at first (and that interpretation is the kind one - I could also have said cold-hearted or an asset grab).

The silence from family is now deafening. As many of us have already pondered, was this his response to being divorced - running off, or taking his own life? If it is the latter there would surely be grief and mourning even without his remains. If it is the former, how can they be so sure (did he send family a sign, and that’s why all efforts to locate him just sort of halted?). Was he in some kind of trouble? As we established earlier, he has the skills to go off-grid, harder these days but not impossible to establish a new identity, but either way this is a pretty big length of time now to be holed up elsewhere undetected.

Why is local news not interested in this? - it has got some real mystery to it. I’m surprised no one has tried talking recently to the (ex) wife and family and reporting on this and the relative probabilities of each scenario.

I’m still struggling a little with the divorce and what that might have had to do with his disappearance. To initiate/continue proceedings looked like an attempt to flush him out at first (and that interpretation is the kind one - I could also have said cold-hearted or an asset grab).

The silence from family is now deafening. As many of us have already pondered, was this his response to being divorced - running off, or taking his own life? If it is the latter there would surely be grief and mourning even without his remains. If it is the former, how can they be so sure (did he send family a sign, and that’s why all efforts to locate him just sort of halted?). Was he in some kind of trouble? As we established earlier, he has the skills to go off-grid, harder these days but not impossible to establish a new identity, but either way this is a pretty big length of time now to be holed up elsewhere undetected.

Why is local news not interested in this? - it has got some real mystery to it. I’m surprised no one has tried talking recently to the (ex) wife and family and reporting on this and the relative probabilities of each scenario.

I agree with everything you posted 100%!

I was under the impression it was found at the end of Yankeetown in a more public area.

Georgia man's disappearance a mystery

...not far from the boat ramp at the end of County Road 40 in the Yankeetown area just west of Inglis.

Co Rd 40
Yankeetown, FL
Google Maps
View attachment 260516
Hi Mihenn, not sure how to find out the specific location where the truck was found, but I think that all the spots being discussed are within several hundred yards of each other. And they could all generally be described as being "at the end of County Rd 40 near the Bird Creek Boat Ramp." (and all generally are near Yankeetown).

Two of the areas however are much more hidden than the others - and I have wondered if the truck was found at one of these two more-concealed locations

The two specific places where I think the truck might have been found are on two very small peninsulas which are only about a hundred feet up the road from the by-hand launch area (and on same side of the street). One of the peninsulas (the smallest one) is actually called E. Rock Island. There appears to be no name for the other one.

Both peninsulas have two track paths about a block long that I'm sure you could get a small truck down. They are both are very overgrown, sandy, with mangos, trees, etc. They both also appear to be deserted. If a truck was parked at the end of either one, I don't think it'd be visible from Country Rd. 40

So I am wondering if LCSO actually checked those scrubby deserted islands/peninsulas when they were looking for JDD on the 27th and 28th? All they said was that they searched "the area" (which could've just meant the ramps, launches, beaches, and parking beside the road, etc., and didn't see it.

But what if they didn't check those two overgrown hidden areas - and JDD's truck had been there all along (perhaps since the 17th)? That would give us different disappearance scenarios to consider vs. if the truck just mysteriously appeared in that spot on 3/1- 3/3 (after having not been there on 2/27 and 2/28).

Just trying to find a place to start!

Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998