UK - Graeme Perks, 65, stabbed, Halam, Notts, 14 Jan 2021

Alyce

Reaction score
A doctor has appeared in court charged with the attempted murder of a "highly-respected" fellow plastic surgeon who was stabbed in his own home.

Graeme Perks, 65, was stabbed in his abdomen and chest in Halam, Nottinghamshire, on Thursday.

Jonathan Peter Brooks, also charged with three counts of attempted arson with intent to endanger life, appeared at Nottingham Magistrates' Court.

Mr Perks is currently in a serious but stable condition, police said.

Mr Brooks, 56, of Landseer Road, Southwell, has also been charged with possession of a knife in a public place.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Nottingham Crown Court on 15 February.

Police said they were not looking for anyone else in connection with the attack.

Jonathan Peter Brooks: Doctor charged over plastic surgeon attack

Perks previously held leadership roles in the NHS, was a former chairman of the East Midlands Cancer Network and was the president of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons in 2013 and 2014.

Perks was also a member of the board for the International Confederation of Plastic Surgery Societies between 2016 and 2018.

DI Gayle Hart, who is leading the inquiry, said: “Our investigations into this case have led us to charge a man. We are not now looking for anyone else in connection with this investigation. The victim is still in the intensive care unit. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.”

Police have urged anyone with information about the incident, or who saw anything suspicious in the area between 2am and 5am on Thursday morning, to contact them.

Doctor charged over stabbing of fellow plastic surgeon in Nottinghamshire

Perks was reportedly Brooks’ boss at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, where Brooks previously worked and where he tried to claim about $6.8 million in compensation in 2016, according to the Sun.

The surgeon had launched legal action after he said he had been sidelined at the hospital for speaking out about poor work conditions, the outlet reported.

But the panel found Brooks had unintentionally “stretched the truth” — so his claim was thrown out and he was ordered to pay about $230,750 in legal fees, the Sun said.

It is unclear if the attack was related to the complaint or failed compensation bid.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/top-british-plastic-surgeon-accused-of-stabbed-ex-colleague/

Although the work dispute occurred a while ago, they only live a couple of miles apart. There's only a pub, school and hairdressers in Halam so their paths would almost certainly have crossed in Southwell as its the nearest place for Perks to access shops.

I've mentioned before on other threads that there is a very highly toxic bullying culture within the NHS and alot of things getting covered up. People have no idea. I am adding in a link as often my comments regarding this are deleted.

'It was a toxic culture'

That is shocking to read. Thank you for sharing this.

Although the work dispute occurred a while ago, they only live a couple of miles apart. There's only a pub, school and hairdressers in Halam so their paths would almost certainly have crossed in Southwell as its the nearest place for Perks to access shops.

Great work Atoz. So did he walk to Perks house or drive there on the night in question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work Atoz. So did he walk to Perks house or drive there on the night in question?

He could have walked, it would be 30 minutes, with some road walking without pavements and the occasional car doing 60. 5 minutes in the car would be easier.

It was raining that night, about 2c so not pleasant. And if police helicopter was up, you'd stand out like a sore thumb with their heat sensor camera.

It would be much easier to get away quickly in a car.

He could have walked, it would be 30 minutes, with some road walking without pavements and the occasional car doing 60. 5 minutes in the car would be easier.

It was raining that night, about 2c so not pleasant. And if police helicopter was up, you'd stand out like a sore thumb with their heat sensor camera.

It would be much easier to get away quickly in a car.

I wonder how he was caught so quickly

I currently work in NHS and I am currently experiencing bullying. Not the first time either. I found this article particularly interesting, especially the comments from NHS staff at the bottom!! Some of what goes on people would be horrified by...

NHS staff make hundreds of bullying and harassment complaints - Personnel Today

That is a shocking read, especially further down the comments. So Holly what do you think has happened here with Brooks and Perks?

That is a shocking read, especially further down the comments. So Holly what do you think has happened here with Brooks and Perks?
Now that's a million dollar question! What would provoke such an altercation between two high level, highly educated surgeons? I worked with two doctors who absolutely hated each other. They would constantly disagree about treatment pathways for patients,make complaints about each other. One saw the other as 'lazy' and so resentment and frustration used to boil over. But to actually stab someone? I wonder if one had found out the other had made mistakes or been negligent and was going to blow the whistle and so the other wanted to silence him. ALL MOO of course!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back