Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #51

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a janitorial business. If you didn't wear gloves like I don't very often your skin would smell like bleach. Maybe a day or two. I'm thinking there are gloves somewhere. Moo
You can wash but a hint of a scent is still likely, and not detectable by washee due to olfactory fatigue, the smell blindness to ongoing scents.

I'm not at all sure it's within the county sheriff's office job description to "promote public awareness" for any cases they might be working on. That said, they've consistantly updated the public this entire time.
I'm guessing, if they think it may assist with the investigation, they might appeal to the public. Likewise, if they didn't, they wouldn't.
I'm not even sure why you're mentioning their "dismissal of public assistance" or them essentially burying her story when their very own their "our news" page Missing teenager located in Chaffee County - Chaffee County Sheriff press release page has no less than 23 public appeals posted since 05.10.20 as well as establishing a dedicated tip line for the public to phone in any information they might have.

I do believe the CCSO are doing a fine job leading this investigation.

From their page:

"We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.” Suzanne Morphew Tip line: 719-312-7530.
Much more here.
You believe LE is doing a fine job. I have no idea. What I do know is that SM is still missing and no one has been arrested.

LE Locating Bike?
I wonder if it was dark when they found the bike. If there were no tracks off the road, how did they spot it?

By reflectors on the bike bouncing light off LE/searchers' flashlights/lanterns/spotlights?

Ex: STANLEY FATMAX SL10LEDS Rechargeable 2200 Lumen Lithium Ion Ultra Bright LED Spotlight Flashlight with USB Power Charger. ~ $50 USD. It's not your grandparents' flashlight.
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-SL10LEDS-920-Lumen-Rechargeable-Spotlight/dp/B00OU67Z80/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Handheld+Spotlight&qid=1611195114&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:2399168011,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:17384530011&rnid=7801637011&s=hardware&sr=1-6

Ex: MFC PRO Bicycle Reflector Kit, at amazon.com

Last edited:
RSBM

Some thoughts:

- 0:32 GD is a "part of" the CC volunteer FD. Does that mean he's actually a firefighter or does he work there in some other capacity? Just curious that she didn't actually call him a firefighter with the CCVFD, and that stood out to me.

- 0:40 GD says he was the first community member to see SM's bike - but - at 2:16 explaining how GD got involved, he told her that another volunteer firefighter called GD to tell him about a missing bike being found. Then GD heads toward the Morphew house where the bike was found close by. When he got to where the bike was, there were 2 deputies on scene.

First, if two deputies were already on scene with the bike, then no GD was not the first person to see it.
Second, why did the other volunteer firefighter call GD about the bike, and not BM?
That just seems really weird to me, unless he did call BM too and that was just left out of the story for some reason?
Third, many assumed it was BM that called GD and asked him to head to the house, while he (BM) was driving back from Broomfield.
According to GD, it was the other way around and he was the one who called BM, and then BM asked him if he was going.

- 1:36 GD says that for the first two weeks after SM went missing, him and about 300 people were out searching every day. Although a few of those original searches said it was more like 20-30 guys. Hmm.

- 2:44 when GD arrived at the bike scene and witnessed 2 CCSD on site attempting to bring the bike up the hill, GD is quoted as saying was a "giant no-no", and went on to explain basic crime scene processing protocol, to these two county sherrifs. Went on to relay how there were "a lot" of things the sheriff's office did like that, but chalked it up to them being a small town LE agency and don't see this kind of crime and don't know everything.
Wow.
Shows up and tells the police how to do their jobs, then accuses them of being ignorant small town cops. Okay.
In addition, why in the world would GD be so adamant that the bike was a "crime scene" and should be processed like one, when no one was supposed to have known yet, what happened to her? No one was supposed to have known anything at that point, accident, run off on purpose, kidnapped, whatever. Yet there's GD on scene, insisting it's processed as a crime scene.
That's also just too weird.

4:34 It was a nice surprise to learn he did talk with AM and offer some amount of help when he came out for the big 4 day search.

5:22 GD and BM are planning something (statement?). More info when one of them gets back from a trip? Unclear on that. LS comments it sounded to her like they were planning something for the 1 year anniversary of SM being missing but, that's still 4 months away.

jmo
Thanks for the breakdown, @Ontario Mom. Couple of thoughts on your thoughts:

1) I am thinking that it may have been volunteer FF Tim Nelson who called George Davis. He was the one who spoke out because the FF’s were not allowed to participate in the official LE search.
28620124-8340119-image-a-76_1589981324286.jpg

+22

Morphew's colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police
Tim Nelson, 33, said: 'The Sheriff's office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there.
'They can't keep us out of the forest so that's what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party.'
Nelson added: 'It's a bad deal you know. They aren't telling us anything. We got excluded from everything.
'George [Davis] put together a search team of friends – I was going to go but pretty much all our fire guys are on it so I decided to step away just in case we get something [a fire].

'Barry was very understanding from what I got from George. I know he's not allowed to go home. He's at a neighbor's. I guess they got him there until he's cleared or…'
Cops search a property in Colorado for evidence of mom-of-two missing since Mother's Day | Daily Mail Online

2). Since we don’t know how long after the bike was found that GD arrived on the scene, it is entirely possible that the bike was photographed and finger printed before he got there.
3). SM’s brother, AM, was actually part of the unofficial search teams starting on Tuesday, 5/12. He flew in the night before. He stated that the group consisted of about six guys and they searched areas that had already been searched by LE.

4). A reporter posts that LE was going to search the base of Monarch Pass on Tuesday which would be to the west of the 50 and 225 intersection.

Gregory Nieto
1 hr ·
100k Reward being offered to find Chaffee County’s Suzanne Morphew!
She went cycling on Sunday...and never came back.
Tuesday search centered on base of Colorado’s Monarch Pass.
Reward is for “her safe - return- no questions asked.”

5). On Tuesday evening, BM was caught going through the trash at the Poncha Market. He said his wife was missing and he was looking for a bike helmet. As I said before, I find it odd that he was out wandering around in the near dark by himself 2 days after his wife went missing. Did he drop the helmet there on his way to Br
6). On Thursday, a personal item belonging to SM, (believed to be the bike helmet), was found off the road on the west side past the 50 and 225 intersection. This was after the area had been searched at least once by LE and at least once by private searchers. Not impossible, but if it was the helmet, it was large and a bright blue or teal color and would not have sunken into the brush or ground after only 4 days. In other words, it would be tough to miss.

7). It’s been said before, but why didn’t BM first call GD and ask him to go check on his wife instead of calling the 70 year old female neighbor?

Final thoughts: If GD, of the 10 years of LE experience, 400 tours of duty, and 300 searcher friends, couldn’t find a bright shiny bike helmet less than a half mile from the Morphew home, how did he expect to find SM herself in his 200 miles of searches? Asking for a friend.

What a Cohinkydink!!!
.... Final thoughts: If GD, of the 10 years of LE experience, 400 tours of duty, and 300 searcher friends, couldn’t find a bright shiny bike helmet less than a half mile from the Morphew home, how did he expect to find SM herself in his 200 miles of searches? Asking for a friend.
@OldCop sbm for focus. You're asking for a friend??? :DWhat are the chances??:D? My friend wants to know too.

Seriously, glad to see you posting again here to share your insights.

Have Barry’s friends ever heard of accessories after the fact ? Just throwing that out there ... not accusing! Some people really may not understand that. I really hope for SM’s daughters sake , that anyone would do the right thing and give those girls closure.
Moo

Last edited:
Have Barry’s friends ever heard of accessories after the fact ? Just throwing that out there ... not accusing! Some people really may not understand that. I really hope for SM’s daughters sake , that anyone would do the right thing and give those girls closure.
Moo
BM seems to have a tight circle of close friends some of whom are more than 20 years younger than him. They are devoted loyalists that seem to look up to him with great admiration. BM seems to enjoy this attention and I’ve often felt he has been undergoing some sort of mid-life crisis; his contests at the gym, choices of clothing, hair do’s, hanging with the young crowd, etc.
If, in fact, any of these friends were convinced to say or do anything that could be construed as being an accessory after the fact, I think he convinced them in such a way as they did not really understand that they were being manipulated. “Hey, guys. LE screwed up this whole case and now they’re trying to pin it on me. If you could just say or do .................... , (fill in the blanks), they’ll get off my back and we can find out what really happened to my wife. My daughters don’t need this and I can’t risk them losing both parents because of incompetent LE.”
I think BM feels he has tight control over everyone. If what MG said was true, about the veiled threats in regard to talking to LE, the reference to “hush hush” money, and the anger when he found out she had turned over her phone, then I think some of those closest to him did begin to understand that maybe BM is not the person they thought he was and that they had been manipulated. I think this might have been the case with TN.
If they now realize they may be considered accessories after the fact, they may be weighing their options. As long as BM hasn't been arrested they may feel free and clear. However, they run the risk of charges if they don’t come clean first and make a deal. What to do?
MOO

Last edited:
BM seems to have a tight circle of close friends some of whom are more than 20 years younger than him. They are devoted loyalists that seem to look up to him with great admiration. BM seems to enjoy this attention and I’ve often felt he has been undergoing some sort of mid-life crisis; his contests at the gym, choices of clothing, hair do’s, hanging with the young crowd, etc.
If, in fact, any of these friends, were convinced to say or do anything that could be construed as being an accessory after the fact, I think he convinced them in such a way as they did not really understand that they were being manipulated. “Hey, guys. LE screwed up this whole case and now they’re trying to pin it on me. If you could just say or do .................... , (fill in the blanks), they’ll get off my back and we can find out what really happened to my wife. My daughters don’t need this and I can’t risk them losing both parents because of incompetent LE.”
I think BM feels he has tight control over everyone. If what MG said was true, about the veiled threats in regard to talking to LE, the reference to “hush hush” money, and the anger when he found out she had turned over her phone, then I think some of those closest to him did begin to understand that maybe BM is not the person they thought he was and that they had been manipulated. I think this might have been the case with TN.
If they now realize they may be considered accessories after the fact, they may be weighing their options. As long as BM hasn't been arrested they may feel free and clear. However, they run the risk of charges if they don’t come clean first and make a deal. What to do?
MOO
I think you nailed it . . I tell you what I would do... not trust Barry and go straight to LE Bc in my mind if he is capable of doing anything to his wife ... he’s capable of anything .

these are just my opinions ! Moo

What a Cohinkydink!!!

@OldCop sbm for focus. You're asking for a friend??? :DWhat are the chances??:D? My friend wants to know too.

Seriously, glad to see you posting again here to share your insights.
Thanks, @al66pine. I hate when I see this case slipping off the front page of the MP forums. Unfortunately, you can only chew old gum for so long. It gets stale.
Anytime we get something new to chew on, I happily devour it.
P.s. I wonder if your friend knows my friend. :cool:

I don't know...

Regarding friends of BM's that are younger than him. I don't think they look up to him. Sure, they might like him, consider him a friend, co-worker. I also don't think he has any control over them. If anything, I believe BM looks up to them, their youth, military careers, freedom, as an example. What's really impressive about BM? He's just a dude that I think lost interest in his marriage once moving to CO. I think BM used his work to stay away from his home and wife. I don't think these guys, especially GD, could be manipulated by BM. I also don't think they would cover for him and risk prison, their own families for a dude from Indiana, that moved to CO, named Barry Morphew. IMO

If, in fact, any of these friends were convinced to say or do anything that could be construed as being an accessory after the fact, I think he convinced them in such a way as they did not really understand that they were being manipulated. “Hey, guys. LE screwed up this whole case and now they’re trying to pin it on me. If you could just say or do .................... , (fill in the blanks), they’ll get off my back and we can find out what really happened to my wife. My daughters don’t need this and I can’t risk them losing both parents because of incompetent LE.”
MOO

Accessory requires intent. The friends would have to know they are helping cover up a crime committed by someone else.

Accessory requires intent. The friends would have to know they are helping cover up a crime committed by someone else.

True, but LE will charge them if what they did assisted the defendant in avoiding justice.
The accused will use defense #2 below.
Prosecution will argue that they knew or should have known.
The Court will decide if they are complicit.

4. What are the defenses?
Three common defenses to criminal charges of being an accessory to a crime in Colorado include:

1. The defendant did not render assistance to the other person; 5
  2. The defendant did not know the other person was suspected of, charged with, or convicted of a criminal act; or
  3. The defendant did not intend to hinder, delay, or prevent the discovery, detection, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of the other person.
CRS 18-8-105 - Accessory to a Crime (After The Fact) in Colorado

you are right, but in my opinion I mean after all this time it kind of hard not to question him here? His behavior and the things he has done has just been off in my opinion. So if they have been directly involved with Barry and are still continuing to do so I would imagine that anyone with half of a brain might start saying huh something doesn’t seem right here? Again I am not accusing anyone I’m not even accusing Barry I’m just saying it’s just his behavior is definitely bizarre to me.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members