VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

@JusticeforScott. Many condolences to you for the loss of a friend.

Has the APD been able to determine if the murderer knew Scott? I have wondered if the attacker might have thought that the sister was home.
If the attacker was familiar with Scott, I wonder if they knew what the sister’s schedule was.

If APD has more still photos, I hope they share them with the public. There must be a string of cameras (even “ring” cameras), along the path that the POI took.
The distinctive gait, toeing in, isn’t a characteristic one sees very often.

Last edited:
@JusticeforScott. Many condolences to you for the loss of a friend.

Has the APD been able to determine if the murderer knew Scott? I have wondered if the attacker might have thought that the sister was home.
If the attacker was familiar with Scott, I wonder if they knew what the sister’s schedule was.

If APD has more still photos, I hope they share them with the public. There must be a string of cameras (even “ring” cameras), along the path that the POI took.
The distinctive gait, toeing in, isn’t a characteristic one sees very often.
The murderer has gotten away with this far too long.

I do not believe (but also do not know with 100% certainty) that ACPD has narrowed down whether the murderer knew Scott. There are specifics to that day that would lead someone to believe that either the murderer knew he was home and his sister was gone (therefore, knew Scott), or cased the place and waited until his sister left (some type of stalker), or he got lucky that he went at a period of time when the sister was not home (which could mean either acquaintance/friend or stalker).

You make a great point about ring cameras. A few people have a theory that after he crossed onto the east side of N. Randolph, he went straight behind the buildings, then across N. Quincy and into a neighbor that is right behind Gold's Gym (where no city cameras would be) and potentially parked his car there (again, just a theory). Would be interesting to know if anyone around that neighborhood had ring cameras and if so, how much storage those hold/if it would have video footage from over a year ago at this point?

I do not believe (but also do not know with 100% certainty) that ACPD has narrowed down whether the murderer knew Scott. There are specifics to that day that would lead someone to believe that either the murderer knew he was home and his sister was gone (therefore, knew Scott), or cased the place and waited until his sister left (some type of stalker), or he got lucky that he went at a period of time when the sister was not home (which could mean either acquaintance/friend or stalker).

You make a great point about ring cameras. A few people have a theory that after he crossed onto the east side of N. Randolph, he went straight behind the buildings, then across N. Quincy and into a neighbor that is right behind Gold's Gym (where no city cameras would be) and potentially parked his car there (again, just a theory). Would be interesting to know if anyone around that neighborhood had ring cameras and if so, how much storage those hold/if it would have video footage from over a year ago at this point?
So sorry about your friend!
1) do you know if there was any sign of a robbery?
2) any suspects in your mind (eg anyone mad at Scott?, sister’s ex, girlfriend’s ex, dude who felt Scott shamed him in front of others, hanger on guy who Scott complained about from work or gym or bar)?
3) does your gut say the attacker was there for Scott (stalked/premeditated) or robbery or someone else who lived there?

I just did some googling about pidgeon toed attackers, hopefully LE is on that, because they do exist... but tough to sift through.

I'm wondering the same thing. I wonder if the POI was stalking/casing the place out prior? But LE would have more footage of an individual re-appearing around the building with that distinctive walk and would have had more footage where they could have possibly ID'd the individual? So then I go back to the POI being a friend or acquaintance who knew where he lived and knew he would be home? Either way, it seems extremely premeditated...
Good question- getting all the way into the bedroom... usually a known person or night. During the day seems like it would be known person.
@JusticeforScott - was it normal for scott to be home and sister out on a Friday afternoon? Do you think he was in bed? Sleeping? Robbery gone wrong?

One of the things I guess I never mentioned on here was there was a directory machine installed in the front vestibule where you could search someone’s apartment by name. I know residents had complained about it when this happened, but I never checked if they removed it or turned off or changed how it worked afterwards. So in theory someone could just find anyone’s apartment if they knew the name and wouldn’t even need to be familiar with the building or where Scott lived.

I doubt ring saves them for this long in the cloud even with a paid subscription unless you personally download them, just another reason had they released this video earlier that someone could have checked closer to when this happened when the video still existed somewhere.

I'm just now reading about this shocking, tragic murder. Condolences to Scott's family and friends and so sorry that a year has passed with little or no progress in finding his killer.

That the murder occurred in his bedroom, in mid afternoon on a day when he normally would have been at work implies either someone who knew him, even casually, or had stalked him. I have the same question about whether a robbery was involved. Perhaps this was a situation where the perp thought he was breaking in to steal something only to be surprised to find someone there.

From the video, it does look like someone who was well prepared.

Video Released In Year-Old Ballston Homicide Case: Police

Scott looks like he was physically fit and strong, taller and probably heavier than the suspect in the video. He must have either been sleeping or taken by surprise and knocked out or otherwise quickly incapacitated by the killer. News media only reports Scott died from trauma to the upper body. That's really vague.

Perhaps Scott's parents should consider hiring an experienced private investigator.

Hi everyone,

I'm a friend of the victim and have been following this thread ever since it was created. The silence on behalf of Scott's friends was out of respect for Scott and his family- ACPD was extremely tight lipped about the case, therefore everyone else was tight lipped. Now that ACPD has released video footage, it felt like the right time to create an account and answer some questions (not all as I don't want to share any vital information to the case).
1. the 4 people in the news reports as being in the apartment- are not suspects at all in any shape or form. He lived with his sister- safe to assume the other three were friends of hers.
2. Scott was not a druggy and he did not deal drugs either. Scott was honestly one of the best human beings- the sweetest soul, didn't have a mean bone in his body, and was loved by everyone that ever met him. Which is what makes his murder so devastating, confusing and frustrating.
3. Scott had a on and off GF of nine (almost ten) years- at the time of his death, they were on.

My thoughts/opinions on video footage:
1. No change of clothes/shoes/backpack, etc. The POI is wearing under under armor gloves, the backpack logo has duck tape over it (I'm 100 percent on that)- the backpack appears to be a hiking backpack with all the straps, therefore I don't doubt that the POI covered their shoe logo's either- but the shoes look very familiar to Nike Free Runs with the back curve. Also, I believe the POI is wearing waterproof jacket and pants (waterproof running gear?) as they seem reflective/shiny in the video. Would also make sense on why there was no need to change clothes if they were waterproof and black- blood wouldn't show up on a video if that was the case.
2. I believe the gait is authentic. You can't fake bone structure and being bow-legged like that. Also, how does one commit a murder like that and then remember the whole time while being on surveillance cameras to walk AND run pigeon-toed.
3. The POI has a white water bottle on the side pocket of their backpack- did this contain water or perhaps bleach?
4. Some people believe it is a woman- I believe they are 100 percent looking for a male for a reason. ACPD must have been able to narrow down the gender if they released that the POI is a white male.
5. the mask/covering the face- this was pre-COVID and not the norm. The face mask appears to be camo.

First, welcome and thank you for sharing and being here, and condolences on the loss of your friend. I lived in Arlington, specifically on N. Randolph in Ballston for many years up until 2009 so am pretty familiar with the area and culture. It's very shocking to have a murder like this in that neighborhood.

May I ask what Scott did for work? You don't have to get too specific but is his job in anyway one that could put him in danger? Intel, defense, anything?

So sorry about your friend!
1) do you know if there was any sign of a robbery?
2) any suspects in your mind (eg anyone mad at Scott?, sister’s ex, girlfriend’s ex, dude who felt Scott shamed him in front of others, hanger on guy who Scott complained about from work or gym or bar)?
3) does your gut say the attacker was there for Scott (stalked/premeditated) or robbery or someone else who lived there?

I just did some googling about pidgeon toed attackers, hopefully LE is on that, because they do exist... but tough to sift through.

My gut tells me that the attacker was there for Scott. Not in the sense that I think Scott ticked anyone off- he wasn't confrontational nor mean to people in any manner, he was seriously the sweetest to anyone he ever met. Based off the series of events and specifics to his death, my gut says the attacker were there for Scott. I do not have any knowledge about whether there were any signs of a robbery. I have been all over the place with suspects- one suspect has always remained in my mind even though they have an alibi.

Good question- getting all the way into the bedroom... usually a known person or night. During the day seems like it would be known person.
@JusticeforScott - was it normal for scott to be home and sister out on a Friday afternoon? Do you think he was in bed? Sleeping? Robbery gone wrong?

I'm not sure how much of this I can answer- but I do not believe he was sleeping nor believe it was a robbery gone wrong. I believe the attacker caught Scott off-guard.

First, welcome and thank you for sharing and being here, and condolences on the loss of your friend. I lived in Arlington, specifically on N. Randolph in Ballston for many years up until 2009 so am pretty familiar with the area and culture. It's very shocking to have a murder like this in that neighborhood.

May I ask what Scott did for work? You don't have to get too specific but is his job in anyway one that could put him in danger? Intel, defense, anything?

From Scott's LinkedIn: Account Executive at Konica Minolta Business Solutions

He did not work for any Intel/defense or 3 letter agencies.

One of the things I guess I never mentioned on here was there was a directory machine installed in the front vestibule where you could search someone’s apartment by name. I know residents had complained about it when this happened, but I never checked if they removed it or turned off or changed how it worked afterwards. So in theory someone could just find anyone’s apartment if they knew the name and wouldn’t even need to be familiar with the building or where Scott lived.

That is good to know, thank you. Ive been told that the directory on Scott's side of the building was potentially not working due to the construction on that side of the building (but they are also not 100% sure on that). Do you by chance if the directory on the other side of the building would have resident info for the entire building or just the side of the building? if that makes sense... from what I understand, there are two directories on each side of the complex. Would each have only their side of info? or would they both contain all resident info?

I think the attacker may have been a jealous male. Either someone known to SR or someone he had heard about. For that reason I am surprised that the crime has not been solved by now, as the number of individuals within one or two degrees of separation of SR that fit this criteria would certainly be small.

I also think the fact that the crime has not been solved by now indicates that very little evidence was left behind by the perp, and that it was carefully planned. I think there is little chance this was a random attack, a burglary, or a case of mistaken identity. I think SR was caught off guard by someone who knew that he would be home alone, and for how long. All jmo

Last edited:
That is good to know, thank you. Ive been told that the directory on Scott's side of the building was potentially not working due to the construction on that side of the building (but they are also not 100% sure on that). Do you by chance if the directory on the other side of the building would have resident info for the entire building or just the side of the building? if that makes sense... from what I understand, there are two directories on each side of the complex. Would each have only their side of info? or would they both contain all resident info?

If I'm honest, I thought the directory was in the front vestibule. I very rarely used the main entrance, but I'm pretty sure it was there. I lived in the tower opposite of the crime and used the door on that side 95% of the time since it was closest to the metro. There was no directory machine specifically on my half, and I don't remember one at the other side door, but I also didn't use that door very often.

Last edited:
A scenario that is way out there....
A delusional individual finds SR to be the person that is the “one”. He is kind, always pleasant and greets this person instead of avoiding her ( as others have). The person makes up a relationship and stalks SR.
At some point the delusional stalker becomes distraught. She somehow enlists the help of a person (POI) to attack SR. The delusional stalker, resides or works in AVA. She has learned SR’s schedule. The POI, featured in the surveillance, shows up as planned to carry out the attack. The stalker has brought bleach to ruin SR’s possessions. The intent is not to cover DNA, but to ruin his stuff.

The POI might be a person that has no connection with SR.
Just a criminal that was hired or manipulated by the Stalker. Someone the stalker has known that is criminal minded to carry out harm.

Crazies are out there. Two years living at the Watergate in Landmark opened my eyes to the term - delusional stalker.

If the stalker lived in the building herself, there would be no surveillance footage of her.

I don’t think the POI acted alone. Far fetched scenario....social media stalkers come to mind as well.

Last edited:
A scenario that is way out there....
A delusional individual finds SR to be the person that is the “one”. He is kind, always pleasant and greets this person instead of avoiding her ( as others have). The person makes up a relationship and stalks SR.
At some point the delusional stalker becomes distraught. She somehow enlists the help of a person (POI) to attack SR. The delusional stalker, resides or works in AVA. She has learned SR’s schedule. The POI, featured in the surveillance, shows up as planned to carry out the attack. The stalker has brought bleach to ruin SR’s possessions. The intent is not to cover DNA, but to ruin his stuff.

The POI might be a person that has no connection with SR.
Just a criminal that was hired or manipulated by the Stalker. Someone the stalker has known that is criminal minded to carry out harm.

Crazies are out there. Two years living at the Watergate in Landmark opened my eyes to the term - delusional stalker.

If the stalker lived in the building herself, there would be no surveillance footage of her.

I don’t think the POI acted alone. Far fetched scenario....social media stalkers come to mind as well.

No disrespect, but describing that scenario as "far fetched" is quite an understatement. Given the kind, likeable, and overwhelmingly positive nature attributed to Scott by those who knew him, it's possible if not highly plausible that jealously was a, or the, motive to some extent. However, elements of this scenario are akin to a summary of a James Patterson novel and thus not productive. That's my opinion at least...

A year later and especially after this video, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume suspect has gotten rid of clothes, bag, sneaks, mask. Very possibly even moved. APD seems to think this gait or video release is important. Perhaps they have a known suspect but a) need them to slip up and are hoping this video release will lead to slip up - discarding items on this tape or communicating with others OR b) need simple corroboration about their gait from an unprompted individual???

IMO - It would be pretty weird for a known person to show up at the apartment door in a high rise without texting me in advance. Yes it can be possible to sneak in the door behind someone else, but that's pretty weird unless it is a person who comes over unannounced A LOT. So unless it is that frequent vistor (or roommate), I would think there would be phone evidence OR a known person who lives or works in the building.

A couple little oddities - to clarify. No manner of death was ever reported? Blunt force trauma vs stabbing vs shooting??? Seems pretty odd that a year later that has not been released!

This media report was so WEIRD - not sure if already discussed. Probably just stupid diarrhea of the mouth but WTH - this video doesn't show cleaning !? Are they idiots or are they saying that there is additional video inside or outside the apartment that shows cleaning (e.g. common areas wiping something down or doorbell/ directory area, maybe needed to remove gloves for calling up??)
"According to Police, Scott Ratigan was found dead in his bedroom on January 17th of last year suffering from trauma to the upper body. Fast forward to now, police are saying that the surveillance video shows the suspect or suspects attempted to clean the crime scene before fleeing the scene." Arlington police release surveillance video of a potential suspect in a 2020 homicide | WDVM25 & DCW50 | Washington, DC

@_Patches Did you get an email from APD on this? Maybe suggest to APD via tip line they send the alert/ surveillance to all current and former residents. It is probably a pretty transient facility. APD should work with management to do their best to get this video to all residents and staff of last 2 years.

@JusticeforScott Just a suggestion... maybe give an anonymous tip about the suspect in your mind to investigators and/or family. Perhaps suggest that they try to figure out way to record suspect's gait?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back