VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

A year later and especially after this video, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume suspect has gotten rid of clothes, bag, sneaks, mask. Very possibly even moved. APD seems to think this gait or video release is important. Perhaps they have a known suspect but a) need them to slip up and are hoping this video release will lead to slip up - discarding items on this tape or communicating with others OR b) need simple corroboration about their gait from an unprompted individual???

IMO - It would be pretty weird for a known person to show up at the apartment door in a high rise without texting me in advance. Yes it can be possible to sneak in the door behind someone else, but that's pretty weird unless it is a person who comes over unannounced A LOT. So unless it is that frequent vistor (or roommate), I would think there would be phone evidence OR a known person who lives or works in the building.

A couple little oddities - to clarify. No manner of death was ever reported? Blunt force trauma vs stabbing vs shooting??? Seems pretty odd that a year later that has not been released!

This media report was so WEIRD - not sure if already discussed. Probably just stupid diarrhea of the mouth but WTH - this video doesn't show cleaning !? Are they idiots or are they saying that there is additional video inside or outside the apartment that shows cleaning (e.g. common areas wiping something down or doorbell/ directory area, maybe needed to remove gloves for calling up??)
"According to Police, Scott Ratigan was found dead in his bedroom on January 17th of last year suffering from trauma to the upper body. Fast forward to now, police are saying that the surveillance video shows the suspect or suspects attempted to clean the crime scene before fleeing the scene." Arlington police release surveillance video of a potential suspect in a 2020 homicide | WDVM25 & DCW50 | Washington, DC

@_Patches Did you get an email from APD on this? Maybe suggest to APD via tip line they send the alert/ surveillance to all current and former residents. It is probably a pretty transient facility. APD should work with management to do their best to get this video to all residents and staff of last 2 years.

@JusticeforScott Just a suggestion... maybe give an anonymous tip about the suspect in your mind to investigators and/or family. Perhaps suggest that they try to figure out way to record suspect's gait?

I believe that news report was taken out of context: per the ACPD newsroom release- "Evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence." Police Seek Information Ahead of Anniversary of Ballston Homicide, New Surveillance Video Released - Newsroom

I believe that news report was taken out of context: per the ACPD newsroom release- "Evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence." Police Seek Information Ahead of Anniversary of Ballston Homicide, New Surveillance Video Released - Newsroom
Thanks! Slammed with work, but trying to help in my spare time so still not totally up to speed and not able to spend as much time as I'd like. More than the video, the stills in that PR you linked above show those weird black pants. The slit of the pockets are like slacks not jeans. They don't look like sturdy denim like material at all. I get where you were going now with the suggestion of water resistant attire that was black and wouldn't show blood. Those are some weird slacks that I think few people wear... either a) people who know someone who wears weird black pants would recognize, or b) they are some kind of work pants... Just throwing things out ... Maybe tag some of the sedition hunters on twitter to help.

ETA: Not a suspect in this case, but I forgot to mention that I did live in a much smaller high-rise condo building in a very safe, quiet, metro accessible spot in Northern VA in which a criminal did somehow get in the doorman building, get to the roof, and climb down the balcony or balconies to break in assault and burglarize a man. It must have happened 15 plus years ago. It was shortly before I moved in. Will have to research it to see if there are any public records that could help understand possible scenarios.

Last edited:
Thanks! Slammed with work, but trying to help in my spare time so still not totally up to speed and not able to spend as much time as I'd like. More than the video, the stills in that PR you linked above show those weird black pants. The slit of the pockets are like slacks not jeans. They don't look like sturdy denim like material at all. I get where you were going now with the suggestion of water resistant attire that was black and wouldn't show blood. Those are some weird slacks that I think few people wear... either a) people who know someone who wears weird black pants would recognize, or b) they are some kind of work pants... Just throwing things out ... Maybe tag some of the sedition hunters on twitter to help.

No worries at all- I meant that article took the police PR out of context. I greatly appreciate any and all help!! But yes, the pants look very strange and waterproof resistant/slack like. The jacket also looks like some type of trail hooded jacket (the hood looks like it extends further than normal hoods for eye protection)- which goes with an outdoorsy theme since the backpack appears to look like a hiking backpack too.

Question I have: Was SR working from home? Day off?

Wonder if police were able to comb through the girlfriends social media messages from the weeks and days prior. Shes got thousands of followers. Suspect may have been obsessed and stalked SR. All my opinion but this case reeks of a jealous attacker who knew the streets of Arlington. Pull all traffic cameras from that day around the crime and run plates for suspects with stalking charges and/or restraining orders. Would take a few analysts to comb through all of that but worth a shot if this is all Arlington PD has to go off of.. hope they can crack it.

Last edited:
A long ramble about clothes..

JusticeforScott, if you don't mind me asking. why are you 100 percent sure there is duct tape on the backpack (I assume you mean in the area of the logo)? , and why are you 100 percent sure that APD thinks the perp is male? (I bring this one up because it could be LE trickery). At 5-6', the perp could be either or - and it's easy to add some hip and back padding.. Plus, he may have been carrying numeras weapons and a full change - including a pack!). Just wondering

The reasons I ask about the backpack is: to me the backpacks visually appear to be very different in the 2 video stills. While both have a water bottle pocket on the left (containing a bottle with a white cap) , and both appear to be dark gray and black (perhaps there is gray camo on the one with the large back pocket?), the logos on the upper back look totally different (one is almost white and looks similar to an LL Bean logo, and one is more muted or gray and looks more like an Adidas logo).

Again, perhaps this is the location where you or others are seeing (or think you're seeing?) duct tape? It's hard for me to tell, (too few pixels!). But the backpack is maybe the most identifiable thing he is wearing, so resolving these issues is important to everyone.

Regardless of which back pack - if there were in fact two..- both appeared to be hiking or even tactical type packs, - and it is VERY VERY unusual to see any logo of the type and size of the ones shown on both pics on any hiking or tactical backpack - let alone the color being white or light blue/gray written across the upper back!. That is a very odd marking indeed. I have not been able to find anything like it online, going back several years [I did find one photo of an LL Bean pack that had a very very similar looking (and similar sized) white logo - but it was aligned vertically, and spelled from bottom to top, on the rear left side of the pack. Check it out and see what you think (may I could have been seen in differently?)

Lastly, why do you think the shoes could not be different pairs in the two separate still frame shots? One pair appears to be blue, while one pair appears to be black. Both pairs have the same basic 2018 Nike Free rn running shoe geneaal appearance to them (assuming the perp somehow duct taped the logos). But why does one shoe's sole appear to be white with a black triangle patch at the left corner of the sole heel, and the other shoe has a solid gray flat sole, with no triangle?

To me, this perp was well prepared. I think a lot of planning went into this. I think the clothes and packs and shoes were all purchased by the perp in the weeks leading up to the crime and then immediately tossed. These were not items he was wearing casually before the crime . My guess is the same for the under Armour gloves, the pants, and the jacket/hoody with the large brim (possibly a water resistant hoodie used in a sport where participants may also be wearing baseball caps, - like fly fishing, hunting, golfing or even running. And the mask: who was making and selling black and gray camouflaged masks back then - in mid Jan? No one. So my guess is it was purchased at a bird hunting / camo / hunting store like Dicks or REI

The gloves, I haven't found an exact match yet, and I've checked the last 5 years of Under Armour gloves. There are some that are very close, so it doesn't mean I'm not right on top of it, just couldn't know for sure. The one in the pics seem longer up TH wrist (no clinch at the wrist), almost like cool-gear liner gloves

And the coat is driving me crazy. So distinctive, yet almost impossible to find. Just too many brands.

As I said in my previous post, like many on this thread, I am shocked that LE waited so long to publish the stills and videos. It's probably too late now. I fee sure that someone would have remembered somebody who had ALL FOUR OR FIVE items: a pair 2018 black nike Free RN runners, a pair of under Armour gloves, a tactical back pack with large write writing across the back top, who had a camouflage mask. Now everybody's moved on. Really tragic.

This perp planned this meticulously. I'd be surprised to learn that he didn't bring a complete change of clothes (including second backpack) with him. Since there were so few clues at the crime scene, identifying the clothes he was wearing is extremely important. Any help or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

All jmo

JusticeforScott, if you don't mind me asking. why are you 100 percent sure there is duct tape on the backpack (I assume you mean in the area of the logo)? , and why are you 100 percent sure that APD thinks the perp is male? (I bring this one up because it could be LE trickery). At 5-6', the perp could be either or - and it's easy to add some hip and back padding.. Plus, he may have been carrying numeras weapons and a full change - including a pack!). Just wondering

The reasons I ask about the backpack is: to me the backpacks visually appear to be very different in the 2 video stills. While both have a water bottle pocket on the left (containing a bottle with a white cap) , and both appear to be dark gray and black (perhaps there is gray camo on the one with the large back pocket?), the logos on the upper back look totally different (one is almost white and looks similar to an LL Bean logo, and one is more muted or gray and looks more like an Adidas logo).

Again, perhaps this is the location where you or others are seeing (or think you're seeing?) duct tape? It's hard for me to tell, (too few pixels!). But the backpack is maybe the most identifiable thing he is wearing, so resolving these issues is important to everyone.

Regardless of which back pack - if there were in fact two..- both appeared to be hiking or even tactical type packs, - and it is VERY VERY unusual to see any logo of the type and size of the ones shown on both pics on any hiking or tactical backpack - let alone the color being white or light blue/gray written across the upper back!. That is a very odd marking indeed. I have not been able to find anything like it online, going back several years [I did find one photo of an LL Bean pack that had a very very similar looking (and similar sized) white logo - but it was aligned vertically, and spelled from bottom to top, on the rear left side of the pack. Check it out and see what you think (may I could have been seen in differently?)

Lastly, why do you think the shoes could not be different pairs in the two separate still frame shots? One pair appears to be blue, while one pair appears to be black. Both pairs have the same basic 2018 Nike Free rn running shoe geneaal appearance to them (assuming the perp somehow duct taped the logos). But why does one shoe's sole appear to be white with a black triangle patch at the left corner of the sole heel, and the other shoe has a solid gray flat sole, with no triangle?

To me, this perp was well prepared. I think a lot of planning went into this. I think the clothes and packs and shoes were all purchased by the perp in the weeks leading up to the crime and then immediately tossed. These were not items he was wearing casually before the crime . My guess is the same for the under Armour gloves, the pants, and the jacket/hoody with the large brim (possibly a water resistant hoodie used in a sport where participants may also be wearing baseball caps, - like fly fishing, hunting, golfing or even running. And the mask: who was making and selling black and gray camouflaged masks back then - in mid Jan? No one. So my guess is it was purchased at a bird hunting / camo / hunting store like Dicks or REI

The gloves, I haven't found an exact match yet, and I've checked the last 5 years of Under Armour gloves. There are some that are very close, so it doesn't mean I'm not right on top of it, just couldn't know for sure. The one in the pics seem longer up TH wrist (no clinch at the wrist), almost like cool-gear liner gloves

And the coat is driving me crazy. So distinctive, yet almost impossible to find. Just too many brands.

As I said in my previous post, like many on this thread, I am shocked that LE waited so long to publish the stills and videos. It's probably too late now. I fee sure that someone would have remembered somebody who had ALL FOUR OR FIVE items: a pair 2018 black nike Free RN runners, a pair of under Armour gloves, a tactical back pack with large write writing across the back top, who had a camouflage mask. Now everybody's moved on. Really tragic.

This perp planned this meticulously. I'd be surprised to learn that he didn't bring a complete change of clothes (including second backpack) with him. Since there were so few clues at the crime scene, identifying the clothes he was wearing is extremely important. Any help or insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

All jmo

The duct tape to me is really obvious and hard to mistake as anything else. Images on page 5 of this thread are pretty clear imo.

Also, did LE check footage from previous days to look for this person when they did see them on video??? With that distinctive gait, would have got other pics, maybe of the face??? Wondering if a PI got these pics and video?????

The attached image, released by ACPD, is a video still-frame which does not appear in the video footage released by ACPD. Specifically, the rounded street curb with a stake in a mulch bed. Did the suspect change shoes after leaving the AVA?

Surveillance-Image-2020-011702292-420x568.jpg
Surveillance-Image-2020-011702294-472x600.jpg
Looking at the two stills from pg 5; even if duct tape is used, the logos appear different.

Last edited:
Looking at the two stills from pg 5; even if duct tape is used, one logo appears to be addias and the other LLBean.

I think it's just a rectangular section of duct tape and the straps and what not is blocking the tape in certain areas.

What is the point of covering the logo if the tape is just in the shape of the logo anyway haha that makes no sense and defeats the purpose of doing it entirely. LL Bean bags also do not have huge logos with giant "L L BEAN" on them, there are always those small ones.

All jmo

I do not have confirmation from other sources regarding the duck-tape and POI being male (besides ACPD identifying POI as a male in the PR). I'm 100% on the duck-tape because after watching the video (at least 100 times at this point) in slow motion, clip by clip, and on large screen I noticed the duck-tape. It isn't super obvious at first but once you notice it, you can't unsee the duck-tape. In the two photos shared- one looks like L.L.Bean, but like patches said, those backpacks don't have large logos and its just the backpack strap that causes it to look like two L's by the dark space. My theory on the duck-tape is that the person either has some type of customized lettering on it, whether its sports related, school related, or initials of some sort. The other theory is just that the person was going to extreme lengths to conceal everything down to the clothing brands. As for the POI being male, I do not think that ACPD would come out with a POI and say they are looking for a white male unless they were 100% sure it was a male- it wouldn't make sense for them to lie or use "trickery" about the POI being male, that would ruin their own purpose of releasing the video and asking for help.

IMO there is no evidence in the video that supports the theory that the POI changed clothes. The shoe being "blue" and then "black" is the lighting differences and the structural elements of the shoe stay the same (the bottom and sides of the soles). The black triangle on the bottom shoe is just pixelated- it doesn't appear in the video at all. The jacket and pants never look different and the backpack is the same just different lighting in the still photos that make the "logo" aka duck-tape look different- the "L.L.Bean" still photo- i explained above, and the other still photo (one where you think looks like Adidas) is when the POI is in a dark area so the duck-tape blends in well with backpack.

I do not have confirmation from other sources regarding the duck-tape and POI being male (besides ACPD identifying POI as a male in the PR). I'm 100% on the duck-tape because after watching the video (at least 100 times at this point) in slow motion, clip by clip, and on large screen I noticed the duck-tape. It isn't super obvious at first but once you notice it, you can't unsee the duck-tape. In the two photos shared- one looks like L.L.Bean, but like patches said, those backpacks don't have large logos and its just the backpack strap that causes it to look like two L's by the dark space. My theory on the duck-tape is that the person either has some type of customized lettering on it, whether its sports related, school related, or initials of some sort. The other theory is just that the person was going to extreme lengths to conceal everything down to the clothing brands. As for the POI being male, I do not think that ACPD would come out with a POI and say they are looking for a white male unless they were 100% sure it was a male- it wouldn't make sense for them to lie or use "trickery" about the POI being male, that would ruin their own purpose of releasing the video and asking for help.

IMO there is no evidence in the video that supports the theory that the POI changed clothes. The shoe being "blue" and then "black" is the lighting differences and the structural elements of the shoe stay the same (the bottom and sides of the soles). The black triangle on the bottom shoe is just pixelated- it doesn't appear in the video at all. The jacket and pants never look different and the backpack is the same just different lighting in the still photos that make the "logo" aka duck-tape look different- the "L.L.Bean" still photo- i explained above, and the other still photo (one where you think looks like Adidas) is when the POI is in a dark area so the duck-tape blends in well with backpack.
Thanks JusticeforScott

When searching images of LL Bean backpacks earlier, I noticed that some of them have a reflective strip (which appears silver in color). Most of the strips are diagonal, but some are horizontal and located in the same general area as what appears to be the duct tape. I wonder if it was a camo backpack with a reflective strip?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back