Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know her married name? I’m sorry if it’s already been posted. I’m having a hard time keeping up with this thread. I was assuming she may have kept her maiden name as some people do because of certain careers etc. they have. Although I figured it’s possible more info on her could be found if we knew a married name.
Pam would sometimes go by the names Pamela Kennel, Eve Kennel and Eve Buckley, so I'm guessing Pamela Kennel was her married name? Correct me if my assumption is wrong. I'm not sure how she came up with "Eve", though. That information is taken from her NamUs missing person report btw.

It’s just frustrating for me with Does sometimes that we almost seem to romanticize them. James has been charged before for not paying child support and apparently left town knowing he was leaving a young child behind. So many of our does looking back not just these two had seriously questionable past. Now that’s not saying they don’t deserve dignity and their names back. It is saying let’s not turn them into Altar Boys and girls just because they were a Jane and John Doe.
I totally get where you're coming from, but I don't think that this particular couple was romanticized by anyone. I feel like people were/are pretty judgemental in this case, especially since it was revealed that they were both divorced. They were judged for travelling and not staying in touch with their families and friends, it was suggested at least of them was mentally ill, they were accused of drug smuggling and other illegal stuff (and there's NO evidence to suggest any criminal activity for either victim prior or after their disappearance!), James was roasted for leaving a child (or children?) behind, their families were accused for not looking hard enough for them. These are some hurtful accusations, guys. Nobody's perfect and we're all flawed in one way or another. Any less-than-perfect relationship Pam and Jim had could've been fixed if it wasn't for some *advertiser censored**hole murderer who decided it was okay to end other people's lives prematurely. Pamela, James and their loved ones were robbed of that opportunity. I hope their killer(s) go to hell in every religion.

After having been nameless for more than 40 years, it took just a few hours for the DNA Doe Project to identify James Paul Freund.

“It was a quick solve,” said Jennifer Randolph, co-leader on the team that was able to identify the Lancaster native as the Sumter Jock Doe.

Volunteer genealogists with DDP were able to find two of Freund’s second cousins “within a matter of hours” after running DNA extracted from his teeth through public databases built by people who use DNA testing kits like 23andMe, Ancestry.com or MyHeritage.

That was a sign that this was probably going to be a pretty easy case to solve,” Randolph said.

DDP worked backward from there, building family trees for the two relatives until they reached a common ancestor. Volunteers then began combing through the descendants of that ancestor, searching for someone who matched the Doe’s approximate age.

DDP volunteers mostly ignored theories shared among amateur sleuths, including that the Doe could have been French Canadian, throughout their search, Randolph said.

“It’s the DNA evidence that guides us,” she said.

One key detail volunteers did pay attention to was a clue that was carved into a distinctive ring found on Freund’s body: the initials “JPF.”

“We weren’t going to hang our hat on those initials, but we were thinking about that as we worked,” Randolph said.

Surely enough, a volunteer found a descendant in the right age range with those initials: James Paul Freund.

Volunteers quickly found newspaper clippings of Freund’s family trying to declare him legally dead due to his disappearance in 1975, another detail that matched the Sumter Jock Doe’s timeline, Randolph said.

Now suspecting that Freund was their man, DDP then matched the Doe to descendants of each of Freund’s four grandparents and presented their findings to law enforcement — just hours after they began their work.

It’s after a Doe is identified that reality begins to set in, Randolph said.

“As exciting as it is to have solved this puzzle, you then are back to the human side of it, and you know that a family is going to get a very difficult phone call or a knock on the door with difficult news,” she said.

DDP is a volunteer organization staffed by “tenacious puzzle-solvers,” Randolph said, and their work on Freund’s case was financed entirely through a fundraiser by the “Crime Junkie” podcast and other donors.

“We want to be able to give these Does their names back so they can have the dignity of being laid to rest with their identity,” Randolph said of the group. “Everyone just wants to matter. If we can give them their name and lay them to rest with their name, then they matter.

“I don’t think we can give closure to families, but we can at least give them answers.”
Here’s how Lancaster man was ID’d as victim in 44-year-old cold case

upload_2021-1-23_5-27-49.jpeg
Matthew McDaniel, of Clemson, South Carolina, worked with authorities on the case of two people — one of whom was from Lancaster — whose bodies were found 44 years ago near Sumter, South Carolina, and publicly identified on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021.

Matthew McDaniel lives in Clemson, South Carolina, some three hours from where the bodies of two people found shot to death by the side of I-95 in 1976 were identified Thursday as those of a man from Lancaster and a woman from Colorado.

McDaniel doesn’t work in law enforcement. No connection to the victims — he wasn’t even alive when James Paul Freund, 30, and Pamela Mae Buckley, 25, were killed.

But authorities in South Carolina on Thursday credited him with helping in the case. He suggested they contact the DNA Doe Project, which they did in 2019.

This case just kind of stands out basically because it’s two people who were murdered and never identified … That’s part of the intrigue,” he said. Also: “...the way they were murdered. It was very cold. It was an execution-style murder. It made me mad.”

About five years ago, he created the webpage, sumtermysterycouple.com, with information about the case. He kept it anonymous until Thursday, when authorities announced the victims’ identities.

He went over the case files. Interviewed people associated with the case. Shared information he put together and he developed theories — he thinks the killings were drug-related, theorizing Freund was the target and Buckley was collateral damage.

He thinks the killings will be solved, citing information he’s developed and shared with authorities.
Amateur sleuth in South Carolina played key role in 44-year-old cold case involving Lancaster man

Pam would sometimes go by the names Pamela Kennel, Eve Kennel and Eve Buckley, so I'm guessing Pamela Kennel was her married name? Correct me if my assumption is wrong. I'm not sure how she came up with "Eve", though. That information is taken from her NamUs missing person report btw.

I think I found a marriage clipping from a newspaper. It says "Pamela Mai Buckley" of Colorado Springs. Hope the link helps. It gives an address and age:

Clipping from Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph - Newspapers.com

I think I found a marriage clipping from a newspaper. It says "Pamela Mai Buckley" of Colorado Springs. Hope the link helps. It gives an address and age:

Thank you. Good find. Marriage to Gary Kennell - October 1972
Miss Pamela Buckley - Newspapers.com

Pamela Buckley Colorado Dec 02 1962 Palmer High School Sophmore - Newspapers.com

Last edited:
If Pamela Buckley's case had been entered into NamUs, I really believe the composite sketch would have generated leads from Websleuths because she does look like the photos. For me, this case just highlights the insane amount of work that can go into a missing person case just for lack of someone getting their report into NamUs.

If Pamela Buckley's case had been entered into NamUs, I really believe the composite sketch would have generated leads from Websleuths because she does look like the photos. For me, this case just highlights the insane amount of work that can go into a missing person case just for lack of someone getting their report into NamUs.
IIRC Pamela's case was entered into NamUs, but there was no picture of her.

I guess the insane amount of work just for lack of uploading a picture then.

Picture > leads > new information for investigators > new guesses on identity > guesses tested > case solved.

You're absolutely right. I guess there was no picture because LE wasn't provided with one? Speculation.

I'm sure that's right but I can't accept getting a photo as too difficult. That one step of caring about the profile could have solved the identity mystery decades ago. We should start a thread for Websleuths that do nothing but try and get pictures up for missing person's profiles that have none. I'm sure we could bat at least .650 on the challenge.

According to Pamela Mae Buckley's thread for her case she did have a NamUs profile and yes, there was no photo. I'm sorry but this highlights the idiocy of missing person cases. It's inconceivable how much work had to go into this case just to make up for a lazy moment of not getting a photo included with her profile at or near the time of the NamUs profile upload.

Please, if I ever go missing someone take a moment to get a photo of me up at Canada's Missing. Heaven forbid that my murderer walks free for decades because people looking at my John Doe composite sketch can't match my likeness to my profile. On that matter, I feel sorry for the various artists that worked hard on producing very reasonable sketches of Pamela's Jane Doe and yet a small fraction of that effort simply wasn't made to include a photo with her missing person profile.

Mind-boggling when you think about it.

Found Deceased - CO - Pamela Mae Buckley, 23, Colorado Springs, Dec 1975

upload_2021-1-23_8-2-6.png
Matthew McDaniel has spent eight years investigating the cold case out of Sumter County. He said he became interested in the case because of the nature of the murder and the fact that couple had not been identified decades later. (Jan. 22, 2021 / FOX Carolina)

It was McDaniel's suggestion to authorities to partner with the DNA Doe Project, which uses genetic genealogy to identify John and Jane Does, that helped name James and Pamela after more than 40 years.

McDaniel has no connection to either of the victims, he doesn't even have any experience in Criminal Justice.

He has a degree in Civil Engineering.

"I just like to take things apart and see how they work and I have an appetite for mysteries," McDaniel explained.

He has worked with the Sumter County Sheriff's Office over the last few years, while conducting what he calls his own investigation.

On Thursday, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office announced a break in the case.

The big break came after McDaniel told investigators they should reach out to the DNA Doe Project.

Thanks to that conversation, James and Pamela were identified by the organization.

"It really is a big relief for me personally," said McDaniel.

The Sheriff's Office did announce plans to reopen the investigation and follow up with a person of interest.

McDaniel says that he has turned over everything he has gathered on the case over the last eight years to investigators, and says he is hopeful an arrest in the case will happen in the future.
Clemson man helped investigators identify murder victims from 1976 in Sumter County

I'm sure that's right but I can't accept getting a photo as too difficult. That one step of caring about the profile could have solved the identity mystery decades ago. We should start a thread for Websleuths that do nothing but try and get pictures up for missing person's profiles that have none. I'm sure we could bat at least .650 on the challenge.
I’m down. I’m way out of my league for setting up a thread for it. I’ll help. This is an old article from 2015 and I’m not sure they still exist. WS is mentioned.
How we built our tool to help match the missing and unidentified | Reveal

That's actually a fantastic idea!

I might just do it at my own blog but it still wouldn't hurt if someone started it here.
I’ve been working in this thread trying to find searchable databases for this very worthwhile project. Maybe we could study the thread for examples and models to help us streamline the process.
Mexico - Unidentified Mexico Project

I totally get where you're coming from, but I don't think that this particular couple was romanticized by anyone. I feel like people were/are pretty judgemental in this case, especially since it was revealed that they were both divorced. They were judged for travelling and not staying in touch with their families and friends, it was suggested at least of them was mentally ill, they were accused of drug smuggling and other illegal stuff (and there's NO evidence to suggest any criminal activity for either victim prior or after their disappearance!), James was roasted for leaving a child (or children?) behind, their families were accused for not looking hard enough for them. These are some hurtful accusations, guys. Nobody's perfect and we're all flawed in one way or another. Any less-than-perfect relationship Pam and Jim had could've been fixed if it wasn't for some *advertiser censored**hole murderer who decided it was okay to end other people's lives prematurely. Pamela, James and their loved ones were robbed of that opportunity. I hope their killer(s) go to hell in every religion.

It’s been suggested that sometimes she used Eve as her stage name. Since the marriage announcement makes it clear that it wasn’t her middle name, that sounds plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998