TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% on it but the shooter looks more than ever like a woman to me! Just seems to have a very female, feminine gait to me. But, y'all are saying it sounds like a male voice. I can't decide, personally. And I definitely haven't dismissed the idea that it's a murder for hire, with possibly the person hired not exactly being a 'professional'.

It really amazes me this happened two years ago and it's still unsolved (although I'm sure LE have strong ideas that they just can't share). It was so brazen and targeted, which would generally indicate there was motive - affairs, arguments, conflicts, probably with people involved in the 501st. I guess it's possible someone was wildly jealous of Elizabeth and never let on. But obviously LE would already have been all over that, and all over the usual suspects eg husband. Like previous posters have suggested, I feel like this person/s has seriously got lucky. I don't think their luck is going to last, though.

I think this could be a possible case of mistaken identity. That may explain the lack of a paper trail leading to Liz's murder.

Perhaps the killer was intending to target a neighbour, and the person who wanted her dead gave a description of a neighbour who happened to look like Liz? I know it's unlikely but I do see this as a possibility.

Last edited:
It wasn't there the first time I saw it either because it was right after the show, but thankfully it's there now. Someone has posted the link above but here it is again for convenience. Those interviews. Really something.

Adding: the video on the Inside Edition website (same one on their Youtube channel) is a little shorter what was on the TV version, where they interviewed the HCSO detective and had slightly longer clips of the father and the husband. They were all brief but it was more helpful (afaic) to see the whole thing.

2 Years After Texas Woman Was Shot Dead Setting Up Garage Sale, New Video Released in Hopes of Finding Killer

Oh, I see! I missed the TV airing. I'd love to see the full interviews too.

I'm not 100% on it but the shooter looks more than ever like a woman to me! Just seems to have a very female, feminine gait to me. But, y'all are saying it sounds like a male voice. I can't decide, personally. And I definitely haven't dismissed the idea that it's a murder for hire, with possibly the person hired not exactly being a 'professional'.

It really amazes me this happened two years ago and it's still unsolved (although I'm sure LE have strong ideas that they just can't share). It was so brazen and targeted, which would generally indicate there was motive - affairs, arguments, conflicts, probably with people involved in the 501st. I guess it's possible someone was wildly jealous of Elizabeth and never let on. But obviously LE would already have been all over that, and all over the usual suspects eg husband. Like previous posters have suggested, I feel like this person/s has seriously got lucky. I don't think their luck is going to last, though.

It does sound male to me but at the same time - it could just be distorted audio. The only voice I can make out 100% is Liz telling the person good morning. All of the background audio (sounds like music or TV) could play a role in the other voice I *think* I hear sounding like a male voice.

I still get the murder for hire feeling, but like you said,maybe not a professional exactly. Too many risky things - like driving by multiple times, for me to think professional. But definitely believe she was targeted.

I can't tell about the voice either way so far. Even with the sound turned as loud as possible, so far I can't even made out the words "good morning" but I do hear her initial gasp. The biggest thing that the killers may have overlooked is the importance of the fact that very few people were told about the garage sale.

I used to think the car was parked across the street too, from the video, but now I think it was on the same side as Liz's house. There was a car in front of her house, probably Liz's car.

Three points before concluding for the night:

1.) I'm struck that the dog didn't bark in response to the shots. Or other dogs in the neighborhood! Everything just goes silent. I also wonder where the dog was in the aftermath. From the raw footage of the news chopper, neither the husband nor his mother have it. Maybe a neighbor? In a squad car?

2.) Speaking of cars, I listened to the Dateline segment again and was struck once again about timing. Dateline's caption states that the husband was told on his way to work that he needed to get to the hospital. This caption is superimposed on video of the husband at the scene standing next to his mother and neighbors. I'm guessing from the angle of the sun that this is after 9am but before noon. It's definitely sometime after his mother first arrives, because in original news footage, she arrives with wet hair and it's had time to dry before the Dateline shot.

Dateline then cuts to the husband, who says he "was holding her hand the entire time and [he] said 'I love you. And I'll never forget you.' And [he] just...slowly let her go."

I think it's Dateline's editing that makes this moment seem odd, because it implies he went straight to the hospital and said he'd never forget her. We know this isn't accurate because he returns home and--per the news footage--is pulled aside by LE (first outside cruiser, then next to it) and later joins his mom and neighbors outside the house.

On the other hand, it is a bit odd that he wouldn't actually do what Dateline implies, which would be to race to wherever she's being medevaced. There's just not enough time for him to have had that particular encounter where he holds her hand, then return to the house.

Something is off about this whole thing, including bad edits.

3.) I'm now beginning to reassess my earlier assumption that the driver knew the neighborhood.

Until this new doorbell cam footage, I had always assumed that the shooter had driven up to the house from the opposite (west) direction. Instead, the truck comes from the east, makes a u-turn at the Smoke Lake intersection, then parks facing the wrong direction on the north side of Cedar Walk.

It's bonkers to me that someone would hazard making so many turns with lights on in a pre-dawn neighborhood, park in such a conspicuous way, then circle back once again to presumably exit from the west.

I can understand not approaching from the west, because then you'd have to wait either at an intersection or in a cul-de-sac, both of which seem riskier spots. I also understand parking on the north side of the street, particularly if we assume the shooter had knowledge of the doorbell cam. Without this knowledge, why wouldn't you just park where the husband had just departed if the guise of yard sale attendance is already set up for you? But why then pop a u-turn when you could park in the exact same place and have quick access to the driver's side door, then book it out of there by hanging a right on Smoke Lake, then another right on Sorrel Meadows?

Now, we don't know in which direction the husband left for work, but I think it's reasonable to assume most people would rather get to a main artery quickly rather than wind through a neighborhood, particularly if they are heading south. If the husband took the straight shot to Kuykendahl, he'd head east and therefore pass within inches of the shooter's truck. That's supremely more risky, especially considering the husband's age, location, and general interest make him a great candidate for owning a dash cam.

So, to quickly recap the movements, the shooter:

- idles on the northeast side of Cedar Walk waiting for the husband to leave
- drives rather aggressively to the Smoke Lake intersection after potentially passing the husband
- pops a u-turn and throws it into park on the wrong side of Cedar Walk
- gets out of the vehicle and crosses the street at almost a jog
- runs up to Liz and interacts with her for ~20 seconds
- shoots Liz three times and does not flee immediately despite the sound of the gunshots and her screams
- moves closer to her and shoots her a fourth time
- turns around and runs across the street (I think there is indeed a wig malfunction at this point)
- gets back into the truck and speeds west toward the intersection with Princeton
- pulls another u-turn OR continues in a loop back to the house via Oconee and Sandusky
- drives by the house a third and final time
- exits the neighborhood in a way that takes the truck past the intersection with Gilbough (security cam pic in color with visible dawn)

This final bullet point drives me nuts. Gilbough is the WORST possible point for the shooter to pass because--and I cannot stress this enough--a former Harris County Sheriff's Deputy resides on that street. What kind of two-bit wannabe assassin cases their victim's house ahead of time, but fails to check Google Street View to see a very visible sheriff's vehicle?

Lots more thoughts rattlin' around, but those are for another day.

About their dog specifically, I'm wondering if it was already with someone to be watched? Since they were getting ready to go out of town for their trip. Would've been a bit early but they were supposed to leave in 2 days.

Last edited:
This was my initial thought. I know this has been mentioned previously, but it bears bringing up again the similarity to the murder of Alistair Wilson in Scotland (subject of the BBC's The Doorstop Murder podcast).

It also reminded me of a murder-for-hire incident that happened about a decade ago in Rio de Janeiro when I was living there. I'm trying to find some documentation, but if memory serves, a gunman asked a victim to read a note -- either feigning illiteracy or in a serving court papers way -- to confirm identity for someone listening in via cell or walkie talkie.

I also think the truck was likely not reported missing and is not a rental vehicle (though you can find this model easily available via her former employer, Hertz). The absence of the roof racks makes me think this is a 2018 or 2019 model. A scenario like this recent silver alert from north Houston would explain how an owner may not have realized a vehicle was missing in the first place.

I'll be back to this thread when I gather more thoughts, as I'm still digesting the very attentive and informative responses to my previous post...especially about surveillance footage.
I have the same feeling you did in regard to the silver alert-

How would I get a car that would never be traced to me?

I have a friend who is a home health aide for a person who is disable and elderly and they leave the keys in their truck for her to borrow from time to time...

Wow my hearing is either terrible and/or you all have amazing hearing because even turning that video volume up, I don't even hear the "Good morning!" I do hear the weird mumbly noises that are being likened to a radio or TV, though.

The first time I watched, those gunshots made me jump out of my chair. It just reinforces how brazen this was. And even though there may not have yet been much car traffic on those streets, I guarantee neighbors were awake just before 7 AM on a work day. I mean, I leave my house at 7 to get to work. But even if you don't have to leave that early, if you work an 8-5/9-5 job, most are up at that hour. Or anyone who was a parent who had kids needing to get to school.

And then to circle back and drive by AGAIN? I am flummoxed on that one. I mean, what was the point? OK, to see if she was really deceased. But if she had somehow miraculously sat or stood up after this shooting, would the killer have jumped out and tried to shoot her again? I almost wonder, did they take a photo really quickly while driving by of her laying in the driveway in order to show it someone as "proof" that this job was done?

Wow my hearing is either terrible and/or you all have amazing hearing because even turning that video volume up, I don't even hear the "Good morning!" I do hear the weird mumbly noises that are being likened to a radio or TV, though.

The first time I watched, those gunshots made me jump out of my chair. It just reinforces how brazen this was. And even though there may not have yet been much car traffic on those streets, I guarantee neighbors were awake just before 7 AM on a work day. I mean, I leave my house at 7 to get to work. But even if you don't have to leave that early, if you work an 8-5/9-5 job, most are up at that hour. Or anyone who was a parent who had kids needing to get to school.

And then to circle back and drive by AGAIN? I am flummoxed on that one. I mean, what was the point? OK, to see if she was really deceased. But if she had somehow miraculously sat or stood up after this shooting, would the killer have jumped out and tried to shoot her again? I almost wonder, did they take a photo really quickly while driving by of her laying in the driveway in order to show it someone as "proof" that this job was done?

I'm beginning to wonder if the killer was an older teen or young adult. It might explain the brazen, risky behavior. They may also be driving someone else's truck - one belonging to a parent, older sibling, grandparent, friend, etc.

As for an older teen having access to and experience using a gun, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to guns in the US. I assume they're everywhere, with many people owning several and not enough supervision or care given to making sure they're safely locked up. Just a thought.

ETA: My reference to older teens' risky behavior refers to the fact that their brains still haven't completely developed at this age, so they're not quite to the full level of understanding the downside of taking risks.

Last edited:

I just hear a quick "morning!" At about 1:08

I just hear a quick "morning!" At about 1:08
IMO that means Elizabeth didn't know or recognize her shooter.

Coming back to ensure she was dead would be, IMO, because either a) if she was conscious she'd be able to tell rescuers who did it or b) the motive required she be dead. ie it was not just to hurt or harm her, but to utterly eliminate her.

JMO

I’m not seeing any signs that police have an idea who is behind this murder. But it is very hard to understand how this crime has remained unsolved for so long.
Unfortunately, the perp(s) seems to have carefully planned this in order to evade police. I think, in particular, they didn't waste any energy trying to create a false scenario to mislead police, such as a robbery gone wrong, or a missing person. Darkness, outdoors, isolated victim, element of surprise, keep the weapon and vehicle out of hands of police. Still, what they can't conceal, IMO, is the obvious foreknowledge that she would be there, alone, at that time and place. And there must be a rational motive to plan and carry it out it so carefully.

ETA: IMO, police aren't going to inform the public about any suspects, as they would likely be watching them carefully.

Last edited:
Some people do not cosplay. Instead, they uhmm...... "cos-life".

Cosplay by its very nature creates an alternative reality that is nominal for some participoants, but very elaborate for others. As a result, some use it as an escape and derive more self esteem etc. from the cosplay world than the real world.

A forum member who participated in the sub culture (the collective experience of this forum is amazing) related that a visible minority of participants dive in deep.

Deep diving includes developing a consuming interest in the cosplay world, deriving all friends, self esteem and status from cosplay and even viewing other participants as their chosen family.

Of course, not every cos-life "deep diver" is prone to murder. Most participants stay in the recreational cosplay shallow waters. But.... mix in the themes of chosen family, sole source of friends, self esteem and perhaps a lack of other viable social options* and cosplay issues can probably get very intense for a few.

* A disproportionate number of cosplayers could be socially awkward. If so, this could limit the ability of some to start over with a new social interest if cosplay does not "work" and make them more prone to "defend" their coslife position.
I don't know much about this...if they were fixated on this, wouldn't they dress/act like a particular character, eg reenact a famous shooting? Seems to me, if someone can invest this anount of planning and self-control, IMO they're very much based in reality, unlike, for eg, the guy who dressed up as the Joker to shoot people at the movie theatre.

I don't know much about this...if they were fixated on this, wouldn't they dress/act like a particular character, eg reenact a famous shooting?

Seems to me, if someone can invest this anount of planning and self-control, IMO they're very much based in reality, unlike, for eg, the guy who dressed up as the Joker to shoot people at the movie theatre.

I think perpetrators in a Cosplay scenario could come in two general types:

A. Mentally insane, or near mentally insane ala "The Joker" mass shooter.

B. Perpetrator is entirely sane and is commits the crime for plain old respect / disrespect, jealousy, revenge etc. The source of such a possibility would be cosplay- but the motives are as old as humanity.

In short, being "in deep" in regards to cosplay does not mean the individual would be insane. Rather, it just means that a particular group or venue, (in this case, the cosplay) supplies their all self esteem, social status, friendship etc. and that they are willing to kill to "protect" that status etc.

Another person could derive these all their self esteem, social status and friends from a sports team, club, circle of friends, gang, biker club etc. Likewise, most willing to kill to protect their status in these other groups would not be insane.

Last edited:
My theory is that this is a deranged "son of sam" type killer, manic, driving around all night in their nightgown, maybe hundreds of miles. Paranoid and delusional, came upon poor Liz setting up and "that was a sign" and she had to kill her. Then ran away.
With no connection to Liz or the area it's hard to find this person.
I just have an issue with the whole costume, disguise, cosplay theory. Nobody is going to murder someone in a dress, robe and hair down. I have long hair and i don't even do the dishes with my hair down. If you are suiting up to kill someone you're looking for ease, protection and cover - not a barelegged breezy dress.
All my opinion.

My theory is that this is a deranged "son of sam" type killer, manic, driving around all night in their nightgown, maybe hundreds of miles. Paranoid and delusional, came upon poor Liz setting up and "that was a sign" and she had to kill her. Then ran away.
With no connection to Liz or the area it's hard to find this person.
I just have an issue with the whole costume, disguise, cosplay theory. Nobody is going to murder someone in a dress, robe and hair down. I have long hair and i don't even do the dishes with my hair down. If you are suiting up to kill someone you're looking for ease, protection and cover - not a barelegged breezy dress.
All my opinion.

The shooter drove by the night before. That tells me it was targeted. However, did Liz put up any signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member