NH NH - Allenstown, Adult Female, 23-33, & 3 Children, under 11, Nov'85 & May'00 #3

Have these articles about the pearl River connection been shared with FB pages relating to that county?

Yes theres a few posts on Facebook, the living family of Thomas deadhorse have submitted dna to gedmatch so hopefully this child gets her name back soon.

TPR daughter doesnt think Janis was the woman her dad introduced her to.
It was worth a try.

I also found this. I've really fleshed out their family tree. However, maybe she can't use the sites we are using and can only use Gedmatch?

The other possibility is that they have exhausted the official family tree and are looking for illegitimate children.

Do you find it bizarre that this family seem to bypass the mortality stats of the time?! They'd have like 10 kids each and all would make it to adulthood. Maybe we were just sickly over here.

Good points on exhausting the existing family tree. I'm not sure what, if any, limitations would be on her research. I would hope if it's out there, it's fair game. Perhaps there are strict guidelines on criminal cases, but that aspect of this case is closed, meaning we know who the killer is and he's deceased.
I hadn't noticed the longevity in my research, but it hasn't been as thorough as yours, I'm sure, lol.

I hope her mother wasn't an illegitimate child or an adoptee. That would put things back at square one, kind of like El Dorado Jane Doe.

Exactly.

OT: My cuz finally contacted her paternal biological family a month or so ago. They had no clue she existed until then, not even a hint or rumor of her. So if she had been a Jane Doe, her newly discovered paternal first cousin, who was the one who put their DNA online and put her in touch with her half-sibs, would have had no freakin' clue who my cousin was, or who, out of the 11 or so brothers her bio father had, she belonged to.

Another snip from @Stephen2016 's link:

Examination of the genetic composition of the child and genealogy research, suggest the mother of the child has relatives in Pearl River County, Mississippi. Plausibly, the child and her mother could be descendants from Thomas ‘Deadhorse’ Mitchell born in 1836 or William Livings born in 1826. The unidentified child would be the 5X or 6X great grandchild of one of these men.
Bringing this post back to the conversation. Those working on the family tree, keep in mind that the child's mother was the 5x or 6x great grandchild of one of these men. That's pretty far out generation-wise and could be 1000's of people. Unless we have access to the actual DNA data, we aren't going to find her mother just by doing genealogy on Ancestry or elsewhere.

FWIW, I've seen some older relatives that do seem to have a similar skin tone and hair colour to the unidentified child's pictures. Obviously they are approximated but I'm sure the later ones have some science behind some of the physical features.

Bringing this post back to the conversation. Those working on the family tree, keep in mind that the child's mother was the 5x or 6x great grandchild of one of these men. That's pretty far out generation-wise and could be 1000's of people. Unless we have access to the actual DNA data, we aren't going to find her mother just by doing genealogy on Ancestry or elsewhere.

Absolutely. I think the fact that the two families are so obviously entangled by marriage and they had a branch of the same GGC makes it harder. Especially if they were illegitimate.

There are people mum's age still alive. I think asking them would be the best way to go because it could be someone local and not thought to be related. Telling them that this person wouldn't have been seen for at least X amount of time and that they are in fact a relation might jog their memory:

"There was this one girl who I knew from school who lived next door to my uncle and ran away or something around that time"

Well I might be of help here, I do family trees in my free time. I could probably locate a possible mother, considering I've mapped out my half cousins through one of my ancestor's polygamy marriages

Well I might be of help here, I do family trees in my free time. I could probably locate a possible mother, considering I've mapped out my half cousins through one of my ancestor's polygamy marriages
I also do genealogy, but I think this is beyond family trees. It's a needle in a haystack. The best we can do it identify relatives who may still be living and then turn that information over to LE. Can't really identify a person that is missing.

This tree is very, very complicated. There is a great deal of people marrying sister-in-laws, etc.

Sisters marrying brothers was very common.. i.e. two sisters from one family marry two brothers from another family.

The only one common surname on both lines that I seen flipping casually through findagrave was Spiers but that I believe was descended in one of the male ancestrors.

I surely hope people are refraining from posting comments on both family lines on Find A Grave ..... Mostly Harmless was a terrible situation. Curious as we are ....that is not how websleuthers should be representing the community.

I just found another suitable set of candidates for grandparents of JD.
  • Mitchell and Livings lines are present.
  • Location adds up, buried at the same cemetery as the Livings ancestors.
  • The possible grandmother looks EXTREMELY like Jane Doe.

Sisters marrying brothers was very common.. i.e. two sisters from one family marry two brothers from another family.

The only one common surname on both lines that I seen flipping casually through findagrave was Spiers but that I believe was descended in one of the male ancestrors.

I surely hope people are refraining from posting comments on both family lines on Find A Grave ..... Mostly Harmless was a terrible situation. Curious as we are ....that is not how websleuthers should be representing the community.

RBBM for clarity
I agree. I hope anything found is passed onto investigators.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back