DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

I think this is the correct thread for this article. If not, my apologies. I found it very interesting.

Cops Are Getting a New Tool For Family-Tree Sleuthing

Verogen’s push into public crime labs with genetic genealogy may help solve more cold cases, but it raises concerns about DNA data collection.

Verogen, the foremost provider of next-generation DNA testing services for law enforcement, has spent the better part of this year developing a new test kit aimed at making genetic genealogy investigations both more convenient and more feasible to use for a wider range of crime scene samples. The fit-for-purpose genetic genealogy panel promises to push this still unregulated method toward becoming a mainstay of modern-day police work. “We think it’s going to be a real door-opener for public crime labs to get into next-generation sequencing,”

Thank God for DNA geneology....if you've committed a crime and left any form of DNA ,someone will be knocking on your door.

Yes, I think we are all in favor of that. But then 3 years from now, your health insurance will charge you extra because you have a Philadelphia chromosome in your genetic makeup. (Life insurance can charge you extra NOW, I believe.) Five years from now, you won't get a job you apply for because you have unfavorable genetics. Six months from now you'll find out your brother was really fathered by your mailman. You may spend years worrying about whether you will develop AML or Huntington's Disease. In my opinion (and it's only an opinion), genetic testing offers some amazing possible benefits--and some significant risks as well. JMHO.

Yes, I think we are all in favor of that. But then 3 years from now, your health insurance will charge you extra because you have a Philadelphia chromosome in your genetic makeup. (Life insurance can charge you extra NOW, I believe.) Five years from now, you won't get a job you apply for because you have unfavorable genetics. Six months from now you'll find out your brother was really fathered by your mailman. You may spend years worrying about whether you will develop AML or Huntington's Disease. In my opinion (and it's only an opinion), genetic testing offers some amazing possible benefits--and some significant risks as well. JMHO.

I don't know that all the things you listed are bad things.
I found out from an Ancestry DNA test that my dad isn't my biological father. And whilst it has caused me much grief and anger (I was donor conceived and not told) I would much rather know than still be living in ignorance. The truth is important. I'm part of a group of thousands with a similar experience, and most of them are still glad they took the test.
Most people with genes for Huntington's etc already know they're at risk, and taking the test can put their mind at ease. Even if the results are bad, for most, they say they'd much rather know than be living in the dark, because they can prepare. I found out that I am a carrier for an extremely rare genetic disorder. Now that I know, I can get my future partner tested to ensure our children will not have it.

So yes, positives and negatives, but DNA is cold hard facts. DNA doesn't lie. It is what you make of it. And that it can be used to bring closure to cold cases is amazing. Anything I can do to help that, I will gladly do.

I found out from an Ancestry DNA test that my dad isn't my biological father. And whilst it has caused me much grief and anger (I was donor conceived and not told) I would much rather know than still be living in ignorance. The truth is important. I'm part of a group of thousands with a similar experience, and most of them are still glad they took the test.
Most people with genes for Huntington's etc already know they're at risk, and taking the test can put their mind at ease. Even if the results are bad, for most, they say they'd much rather know than be living in the dark, because they can prepare. I found out that I am a carrier for an extremely rare genetic disorder. Now that I know, I can get my future partner tested to ensure our children will not have it.

So yes, positives and negatives, but DNA is cold hard facts. DNA doesn't lie. It is what you make of it. And that it can be used to bring closure to cold cases is amazing. Anything I can do to help that, I will gladly do.

I think this is a new one, so many of these cases I've had to double check.
_____

baby_april.jpg

The Moline Police Department has made an arrest in a decades-old cold case. An infant dubbed "Baby April" was found dead on the shores of the Mississippi in 1992. Today, an Ohio woman is in police custody, facing charges of first degree murder. Darren Gault of the Moline Police Department says the arrest was made possible by developments in DNA testing, which led law enforcement to a biological match for Baby April.

siebke.jpg

Angela Siebke
CREDIT MOLINE POLICE DEPARTMENT

Moline Police Make Arrest in "Baby April" Cold Case

Rock Island County State’s Attorney Dora Villarreal said in a media release that a first-degree murder charge has been filed against Angela Renee Siebke, 47, of Whitehall.

[...]

On April 11, 1992, a man walking his dog found the body of a full-term baby girl in a plastic garbage bag floating along the bank of the Mississippi River off 17th Street in Moline, according to police.

The Rock Island County Coroner identified the cause of death as suffocation asphyxiation and hypothermia, according to police.

Ohio woman charged in ’92 death of Baby April in Moline, Illinois

Press releases at 2nd link. Haven't been able to find a WS thread for Baby April.

I don't think this case has been posted, apols if it has. Young Kavila, a 30 year old female flight attendant was found murdered in her Des Plaines, Illinois apartment, Nov 30th, 1999, brutally stabbed to death. Page Not Found | abc7chicago.com Dec 10th 2020. I couldn't find a thread for her case on WS.

Looks like a tip about the suspect (Louis Rodriguez-Mena) came in ten years ago from a family member, (I presume this means the suspect's family so good for them coming forward), which then enabled police to take a swab from the suspect's son who still lived in Illinois. Being such a close relative his DNA of course pointed to his father as the source of the DNA (Mena's own blood) at the crime scene.

The long delay since then was caused by Mena (now 40 years old) fleeing to Mexico the day after the murder (not suspicious at all), so took time to locate him and extradite him. As happens quite often in these apartment building cases, Mena was a neighbour of Miss Kavila at the time of the murder, making it easy for him to watch her in a non-suspicious way. Proximity and opportunity. So worth testing all the blood stains at a stabbing scene as the murderer so often cuts themselves during the process. Young fought back very hard for her life and likely caused injury to Mena leaving his blood at the scene.
I'm glad Mena is still young enough to pay with his active years for taking so many decades of Young's life. He got away with it for far too long.

photo of Young and a more detailed article concerning why this case took so long to resolve Flight Attendant's Accused Killer Arrested After 21-Year Manhunt

more details here and photos of suspect .DNA from son links Mexican fugitive to deadly stabbing of Illinois flight attendant in 1999

Wonder if police depts like NYPD or LAPD, are developing their own forensic genealogy units / labs. Big police depts have so many unsolved cases, it might be more cost-effective to try to solve these cases in-house.

Or do it on a state level w/ state police labs.

On the other hand, a lot of state forensic labs are so backed up w/ DNA testing that they have to outsource to private labs, without even adding genetic genealogy to the mix...
The FDLE has its own GG unit. Others to follow!

Hi all - I just found this thread, and wanted to introduce myself, as I'm about to drop a podcast on this very topic. I found myself craving much more information about all these GG solved cases than I was getting from MSM articles. So I am starting a podcast that delves into these cases and really tries to unearth information about the how and why, since we know the "who." I interviewed Paul Holes for the introductory episode, and then will feature one case every two weeks commencing Jan. 11, 2021. Link to the preview below. For obvious reasons, I'm focusing first on those cases in which the killer is dead, or the case has been adjudicated. I'd love to hear any suggestions from you, as my case list isn't finalized yet past the first seven episodes. Happy listening!

‎DNA: ID: DNA: ID Introduction on Apple Podcasts

Its definitely bad for employers, insurance companies and other businesses, schools, banks, etc to discriminate against you based on uncertain genetic information. Science is still emerging on understanding links to DNA and disease risk. Just because you have a gene for possible risk for a disease doesn't mean you'll get it. That's no reason for someone to fire you from a job or charge you more for insurance or a mortgage or car loan. Yet those things can and do happen. Its supposed to be illegal in some cases, but the law is weak and has no real penalties.

The Phoenix Police Department, Peoria Police Department and FBI Phoenix Field Office are asking for the public’s help in seeking victims and information about a 20-year-old cold case.

According to a press release from Phoenix police spokesperson Sgt. Mercedes Fortune, the case involves an alleged sexual offender and homicide suspect Lance David Ray.

Ray, 53, was arrested in October in connection with three separate incidents in 2000 after DNA evidence linked him to the crimes.

Police seek victims of Lance Ray, arrested on murder, assault charges

The FBI along with police in Phoenix and Peoria, Arizona, say Ray in July 2000 kidnapped a 14-year-old boy in Peoria and sexually assaulted him at gunpoint. They say a month later in Phoenix he forced a 17-year-old boy into his car at gunpoint, drove him to an isolated location and sexually assaulted him.

The following month in Phoenix, Dalmer Hussen, 18, left a friend’s house to walk home and was found the following morning fatally shot in an empty lot. Police eventually tied all three incidents together through DNA evidence, officials said.

[...]

Ray has lived in several locations over the years. Public records show he lived in Ironton, Missouri, prior to moving to St. Louis. It also appears he lived for a time in Granite City and Edwardsville.

He lived in San Francisco in the early 90s and then moved to Portland, Oregon, in 1993. He moved between Oregon, Washington and California until 1999, when he moved to Phoenix, where he lived until 2003. He then lived in California for several years until moving east.

Authorities are encouraging anyone with information to reach out to reportray@fbi.gov or 800-225-5324.

St. Louis man arrested in Arizona cold case death, sexual assaults

WS thread:
AZ - AZ - Dalmer Hussen, 18, Phoenix, Murdered, Other Sexual Assaults, 2000 *Arrest*

History: DNA Fingerprinting is a method which is used to identify individuals on the basis of the molecular characteristics of the DNA. The procedure of DNA fingerprinting, involves comparing samples of human DNA left at a crime scene with DNA obtained from a suspect, which is now considered as the most authentic form of identification by many investigators and scientists. In 1980, Wyman and White discovered the first DNA fingerprinting technique called Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP). In 1985, Jeffrey’s described the first development of multilocus DNA fingerprints and considered that these individual-specific DNA patterns may provide a powerful method for identification of individuals and paternity testing. In 1987, Nakamura coined the term variable number of tandem repeats (VNTR) to describe individual loci where alleles are composed of tandem repeats that vary in the number of core units. In 1985, Kary Mullis developed a technique called polymeric chain reaction (PCR) into forensic work. By allowing the selective amplification of any desired stretch of DNA, PCR helped in low- level DNA detection at scene of crime. Now-a-days most of the forensic genetic methods are based on PCR.

DNA fingerprinting has become standard method in forensic genetics especially in criminal forensic casework such as stain analysis, DNA analysis of hair, individual identification and paternity testing. The potential of DNA fingerprinting has also made possible the resolution of immigration problems. DNA fingerprinting plays a major role in rapid identification of individuals in mass disaster cases. The techniques of DNA fingerprinting aids in the investigation of sexual assault and rape cases. [1]
Practical Applications of Forensic DNA Fingerprinting

This one is a bit different, a UK University is using GG for tracing the fathers of children conceived by sexual exploitation of victims by aid workers. This was a big scandal in the UK a few years ago.

Not sure if there will be any criminal consequences.

British foreign aid workers who father children abroad are being tracked down using genealogy technology by researchers at King’s College London.

It comes in the wake of the Oxfam scandal of 2011, when the aid sector was rocked by allegations that staff had engaged in sexual misconduct with victims of the 2010 Haitian earthquake.

Six test cases have already been completed in the Philippines, with men identified in Australia, Canada, the United States and Britain as having fathered children in the country, either through sex tourism or in relation to aid work.

One British man, a former aid worker for the World Bank, was discovered to have fathered two children in the country around 20 years ago.

The man, now in his 70s, was tracked down in the UK by the team using publicly available data and has now accepted the children.

Once a suspected victim of aid worker abuse is found, the team on the ground will take a DNA sample and return it to London.

Mr MacLeod then works on behalf of each individual victim to help them track down their father using publicly available DNA databases.

Foreign aid workers who father children abroad tracked down by researchers using genealogy tech

This one is a bit different, a UK University is using GG for tracing the fathers of children conceived by sexual exploitation of victims by aid workers. This was a big scandal in the UK a few years ago.

Not sure if there will be any criminal consequences.

British foreign aid workers who father children abroad are being tracked down using genealogy technology by researchers at King’s College London.

It comes in the wake of the Oxfam scandal of 2011, when the aid sector was rocked by allegations that staff had engaged in sexual misconduct with victims of the 2010 Haitian earthquake.

Six test cases have already been completed in the Philippines, with men identified in Australia, Canada, the United States and Britain as having fathered children in the country, either through sex tourism or in relation to aid work.

One British man, a former aid worker for the World Bank, was discovered to have fathered two children in the country around 20 years ago.

The man, now in his 70s, was tracked down in the UK by the team using publicly available data and has now accepted the children.

Once a suspected victim of aid worker abuse is found, the team on the ground will take a DNA sample and return it to London.

Mr MacLeod then works on behalf of each individual victim to help them track down their father using publicly available DNA databases.

Foreign aid workers who father children abroad tracked down by researchers using genealogy tech

Reading this reminded me of an investigative report from Boston Globe's Spotlight team on illegitimate children of priests. I can see genetic genealogy being used in the future to conclusively prove these types of claims.

The Sexual Assault Kit Initiative grants paid for a prosecutor, Assistant Attorney General Jenna Gruenstein, and a cold case investigator to review the DNA results from every test, but that money will run out in 2021. Asked if the project will lead to any more charges filed, Gruenstein said the state concluded the majority could not be prosecuted but “a few cases” are still being reviewed.

Now, Alaska is spending an additional $2.75 million from state coffers to test about 2,400 more rape kits from local police departments in hopes of solving other cases.

This story is the first in a two-part examination by the Anchorage Daily News and ProPublica of why Alaska’s effort to clear the backlog was not as effective as politicians or the public might have hoped and why it has not identified serial rapists.
After 3 years and $1.5 million devoted to testing rape kits, Alaska made one new arrest

New evidence leads to sexual battery charges against registered Putnam County sex offender

Jan 11th 2021, suspect arrested owing to DNA evidence, Jeffery Lemor Wheat, 48 for a series of cold case sexual assaults (2010-11 that targeted members of the black sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. At the time of the assaults the women were in their 50s and 60s and were all attacked at night in their own homes in the Dallas are after being stalked by the attacker.
Texas man suspected in 2011 serial rapes that targeted Delta Sigma Theta sorority sisters

An unusual case that seems to point to the suspect having some kind of specific revenge motive against the members of this sorority. At what point in the suspect's life did this occur, (he's now 48), if it was the time that these women were at college, probably about 30ish years ago then he would have been a teenager then. Resents successful black women (the suspect is also black), felt snubbed by one or several of them? While an arrest is great obviously, it must be traumatic for a rape victim to have to re-live such a terrifying experience after so many years.
There's a discussion of this case with Ana Garcia on the TrueCrimeDaily podcast which I think mentions that genetic genealogy was used to resolve this case. There was video evidence of the suspect but they could never put a name to the image.

DNA helped solve the identities of two victims whose bodies were found off I-95 in Sumter County, SC in 1976. It had been determined at the time they had been shot to death. Now LE is reopening the case and investigation.

A Clemson graduate who followed a 44-year-old murder case for years helped investigators finally find the resources to identify the two victims....
Sumter County Sheriff Anthony Dennis held a news conference Thursday where he announced that the people are Pamela Mae Buckley and James Paul Freund.

SC man helps investigators ID victims in 1976 cold case killings

Wendy Stephens, 14 year-old Colorado runaway, has been id by DNA Doe Project as one of the victims of Gary Ridgway, the Green River Killer.

Poor child

Green River Killer: Youngest victim of serial killer identified

Quotes from Detective Jensen who worked on the case:

"How does somebody not miss someone that young? And that was always my question, how does somebody not miss somebody that young?"

He never gave up. And now, 36 years later, thanks to help from the nonprofit the DNA Doe Project and King County forensic anthropologist Kathy Taylor, she’s finally been identified. She is no longer Bones 10; she is 14-year-old Wendy Stephens.

For Detective Jensen, finally knowing her name is profound, and emotional.

"Somebody had to be there for her, nobody else was."

Wendy Stephens was just 14 years old when she ran away from home in Colorado and a short time later was murdered by one of the most infamous serial killers in Seattle, a city she had no ties to."

WA - WA - Burien, WhtFem ,97UFWA, 12-18, Green River victim, Mar'84

On March 24, 2016, the SBI was requested by PCSO to assist with a homicide investigation. The victim in the investigation, George Washington Price, 74, was found dead in his Elizabeth City home with multiple stab wounds.

The joint investigation remained a priority for investigators over the past several years, however, there wasn’t sufficient information to solve the crime.

That’s until SBI agents and PCSO investigators turned to genetic genealogy. In October of 2020, investigators sought the services of Parabon NanoLabs (Parabon), a DNA technology company in Virginia.

[...]

Acting on information from Parabon, David Lee Blair, 55, was identified as a suspect in the investigation and was arrested on Tuesday, at his home in Winston-Salem. Blair was charged with the murder of Price. After going before a magistrate, Blair was booked into the Forsyth County Detention Center without bond.

Genetic genealogy leads to arrest | wfmynews2.com

Since introducing genetic genealogy, Parabon has assisted law enforcement in making a positive identification (perpetrator or unidentified decedent) at the astonishing rate of one per week on cases that, on average, have been cold for over 25 years.

"It's remarkable and commendable that the detectives and agencies we serve were able to continue their work largely unaffected by the pandemic," said CeCe Moore, Parabon's Chief Genetic Genealogist. She noted, "Of course, our bioinformatics and investigative work can all be done on a computer, but the agencies had to work our leads using traditional investigative methods and do so despite COVID. Presuming pandemic conditions improve with vaccination, we anticipate even better numbers in 2021."
https://www.officer.com/investigati...ontinues-cold-case-crimesolving-spree-in-2020

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back