IN IN - Denise Pflum, 18, Connersville, 28 Mar 1986 *POI died*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PRESS RELEASE
Due to defense attorney Judson McMillin’s Press Release that was printed in the News Examiner earlier this week, both the Fayette County Prosecutor’s Office and Fayette County Sheriff’s Department believe that the public is due clarification as to the circumstances surrounding the Shawn McClung confession and the Denise Pflum case, generally.
On July 3rd, 2020, Shawn McClung, Denise’s ex-boyfriend, requested that jail staff contact Sheriff Joey Laughlin so that he could speak with him. During a video recorded interview, McClung confessed to the killing of Denise Pflum, while being held on unrelated charges at the Fayette County Jail. It is true that an Immunity Agreement was offered to Shawn McClung for his consideration prior to his confession, but it was provided knowing that Mr. McClung was in failing health and would likely soon pass away. (This was also done with the Pflum family's consent). Knowing he was dying provided the investigators an urgency and duty to provide answers and closure to the Pflum family if Shawn McClung was responsible for her death and/or disappearance. The Immunity Agreement required that Mr. McClung must “not withhold any information” regarding the disappearance of Denise Pflum and also required that he provide information regarding the “movement and/or disposal of her body including, but not limited to, the location of the body.”
At the time of his confession, Mr. McClung did not provide a location of her remains nor information that would help lead to the Sheriff’s Department finding her remains. This requirement was not satisfied by Mr. McClung, which would have rendered any Immunity Agreement void. However, at the time of Mr. McClung’s confession, he also had not signed nor executed the Immunity Agreement that was offered to him. It is for these reasons that Mr. McClung did not receive immunity from the State of Indiana, and charges were eventually filed against Mr. McClung for the death of Denise Pflum.
Mr. Judson McMillin began his representation of Mr. McClung shortly after his confession to Sheriff Joey Laughlin. After consultation with his new client, Mr. McMillin insinuated to the Prosecutor’s Office and Sheriff that more detail would be forthcoming and that it would be shocking. During the remaining time in Mr. McClung’s life, neither the Sheriff’s Department nor Prosecutor’s Office received any official statements from Mr. McMillin. However, after the death of Mr. McClung, Mr. McMillin did provide an audio recording of Mr. McClung recanting his confession. It is the understanding of our offices that Mr. McMillin is now withholding a statement from a potential witness that has also not been turned over to investigators or prosecutors as of this release.
The Fayette County Prosecutor’s Office and Fayette County Sheriff’s Department have worked diligently and tirelessly on the Denise Pflum case and continue to do so. We understand that the community takes great interest in the case and care deeply about finding the answers to Denise’s disappearance. Our top priority is finding the truth and finally allowing the Pflum family to have the answers they have been searching for over 30 years. We continue to be hopeful that we will also be able to find justice for Denise Pflum. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Denise Pflum, please feel free to contact the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department at 765-825-1110.
Fayette County Sheriff's Department -Indiana

Wow. So which are we to believe? McClung’s confession or his recanting provided by the attorney?
Sounds like McMillan the lawyer is not being particularly helpful.
Sounds like the police are treating it as if they are back to square one.

One theory I have is that Shawn McClung did kill Denise and he was about to give the details but his family received threats from other crime participants who apparently still live in the area, they participated in the murder or in the cover-up of the murder. After these threats Shawn McClung decided to return from his confession.

I feel so sad for Denise family.

Fayette County, IN — Equusearch Midwest, in conjunction with Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana K-9, and CCRT, announced that they will be holding a search for Denise Pflum next weekend. All areas are confidential as this is an ongoing investigation. The search team’s goal is to bring closure to the Pflum family.

Denise Pflum has been missing since March of 1986 when she was only 18. Denise left her family’s residence in Connersville and was headed to retrieve her purse from a party she attended the night before. Denise never arrived at her destination and her car was found the following day alongside Tower Road abandoned.

This will not be a public search at this time according to Equusearch. Equusearch has also assisted in Dearborn County for the search of Johny Werner.
Search ongoing for missing woman in Fayette County – WRBI Radio

I’m watching a show called Small Town Secrets. This is about Denise Pflum. They are talking about Randy and Benny. Cousins. Apparently they confessed and have recanted several times.

And the lawyer for Shawn who withheld information? That sounds unethical. IMO.

ETA The episode is titled Rumors. S1Ep2 First aired 1/12/22

I’m watching a show called Small Town Secrets. This is about Denise Pflum. They are talking about Randy and Benny. Cousins. Apparently they confessed and have recanted several times.

And the lawyer for Shawn who withheld information? That sounds unethical. IMO.

ETA The episode is titled Rumors. S1Ep2 First aired 1/12/22

Thank you for the information. I tried to see if I could see the show but unfortunately it is impossible for me, It seems the show isn't available in my country. I am very curious regarding Randy and Benny, Is it implied in the show that they are responsible for the murder and disappearances of Denise and what is the motive? Or maybe that shawn is responsible and Randy and Benny helped him to hide Denise and the evidence? I was sure that What is your opinion? I was sure justice and closure are approaching, it's so sad and frustrating.

I was in Connersville last week for a funeral. Sad to see Pflum headstones in the cemetery and Denise not being able to be laid to rest there with her family. My cousins are convinced that it’s Benny, but they don’t know either of course.

I was in Connersville last week for a funeral. Sad to see Pflum headstones in the cemetery and Denise not being able to be laid to rest there with her family. My cousins are convinced that it’s Benny, but they don’t know either of course.
So sad. I think with real pressure on Benny and Randy it was possible to extract critical information from them. Do your cousins and you have a theory about the motive if Benny is responsible?

So sad. I think with real pressure on Benny and Randy it was possible to extract critical information from them. Do your cousins and you have a theory about the motive if Benny is responsible?
I live out of state, but some of my cousins grew up with her. She was pretty straight laced, and they believed she walked in on something bad - flipped out on them (because she would have) - and was murdered to keep her from telling. They’ve always thought more than one person was involved in either the murder or cover up, and Benny is a character believed quite capable of doing this. Over the years, I remember them thinking that she was still in the pond that was drained and that they somehow missed her. Connersville is also super close to Brookvile lake, a much larger body of water where people go boating, and I’ve often wondered about that as well. Everyone really wants her remains found. She’s from a very good family.

I live out of state, but some of my cousins grew up with her. She was pretty straight laced, and they believed she walked in on something bad - flipped out on them (because she would have) - and was murdered to keep her from telling. They’ve always thought more than one person was involved in either the murder or cover up, and Benny is a character believed quite capable of doing this. Over the years, I remember them thinking that she was still in the pond that was drained and that they somehow missed her. Connersville is also super close to Brookvile lake, a much larger body of water where people go boating, and I’ve often wondered about that as well. Everyone really wants her remains found. She’s from a very good family.
Wow! Thank you very much for sharing. There is strong possibility that this motive and the event you described reflects what happened, that Benny is guilty of the crime and maybe his friends too. I found it strange that Shawn confessed to the crime but couldn't give helpful details. My heart is breaking for Denise family, when Shawn McClung was arrested Denise's parents were sure that after so many years they would be able to receive closure and find out where Denise is located.

I had a listen to a podcast about this case today. Like most people I think either the ex boyfriend, Shawn McClung or else that Benny guy is responsible.

Fayette county and connersville is a bloodbath and in regards to Denise I'm friends with people who have helped with her case and I know her parents there are numerous involved in her murder/dissapearance and 2 of those people are believed to be involved in other murders in fayette county and surrounding areas. Denise deserves justice and she is just one of the people who have been murdered in fayette county without justice here are the others
Daniel Gene Lutz 1976
Deborah Ann Martin 1977
Darlene Russell 1981
Alene Russell 1995
Alex Griffin 2020
Tommy Combs 2022
Josh Durham 2022

And these are just the ones i know of in fayette county thats not including the unsolved stories in Wayne, rush, franklin and henry county indiana

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tboyle
Back