MS MS - James Harrison, adult, Scott County, 21 Jan 2021

Sheriff: Manhunt underway after two-year-old found dead in abandoned truck in Scott County

One child is dead and another is in state custody after being found in an abandoned truck in Scott County.

The children and their father, James Harrison, Jr. were reported missing on Friday.

Scott County Sheriff Mike Lee said deputies are still searching for Harrison. He was last seen Thursday and witnesses said he seemed disoriented. They are searching through hundreds of acres in Scott and Newton counties.

They believe that he could be suffering from hypothermia and are unsure of his location.

I know we’ve seen and heard it all over the years with missing persons cases but the thought of that little 2 year old all alone in that vehicle, left to freeze to death breaks my heart beyond words. . And the older child going for help..I just can’t.

So the mother gets out of the car, gets a ride home or wherever, and doesn’t even care where her children are for more than a day? If I fought with my husband to the degree I got out at a gas station and called for a ride, you can damn sure bet I’d be taking my children with me!! They’re little kids, not teenagers!

I’m scared to find out what happens, honestly. And why would the father leave them alone in the vehicle?! I understand there may be some health issues at play there, but my brain boggles at this whole scenario.

Last edited:
I know we’ve seen and hard it all over the years with missing persons cases but the thought of that little 2 year old all alone in that vehicle, left to freeze to death breaks my heart beyond words. . And the older child going for help..I just can’t.

So the mother gets out of the car, gets a ride home or wherever, and doesn’t even care where her children are for more than a day? If I fought with my husband to the degree I got out at a gas station and called for a ride, you can damn sure bet I’d be taking my children with me!! They’re little kids, not teenagers!

I’m scared to find out what happens, honestly. And why would the father leave them alone in the vehicle?! I understand there may be some health issues at play there, but my brain boggles at this whole scenario.
The only reason that I can think of for a mother to act this way is drugs. Even at that, I can't understand why you would leave your babies behind.

The only reason that I can think of for a mother to act this way is drugs. Even at that, I can't understand why you would leave your babies behind.
ITA. And it’s one thing to get out of the car and ask a friend for a ride when maybe you’re near home but in another state? Or am I misreading? I need to go back and re read. If the father got out to “look” for his wife, why was the vehicle found off the freeway? IMO. Need to clarify some things before I say something I shouldn’t.

So the mother is charged with child endangerment if I’m understanding correctly, and they’re looking for the father against a homicide charge? IMO and MOO because I can’t link but one of the few articles said he had no coat or shoes? There’s so little info and MSM reports are muddy and confusing if you ask me. Not that anyone did.

Toddler found dead after being abandoned | SCT Online

Here’s an updated article from today.

Scott County Sheriff Mike Lee said that James Harrison Jr. and Amy Harrison of Salisbury, North Carolina, were traveling through Mississippi with the children on January 21 when they got in an argument on Interstate 20 near the Lake/Lawrence exit.

Apparently Amy Harrison got out of the vehicle, walked to the truck stop at that exit and called someone to pick her up.

Scott County Coroner Van Thames has said that the father later abandoned the children in the vehicle. The boy and girl walked away from the truck but got separated. The boy approached a hunter in the woods asking for help, and that started a search by law enforcement.

Deputies found the truck off Tanglewood Road in a wooded area in southeast Scott County. The toddler was found dead from what appears to be hypothermia

James Harrison was last seen south of Lake walking on Tanglewood Road in Newton County.

Father missing, mother facing child neglect charges after toddler’s body found in Scott Co.

Scott County officials say Amy Harrison then got out of the vehicle around exit 100 and called a friend from Greenville, Mississippi to pick her up.

I live in AR just right across the river from Greenville MS. It is in Washington County and is well over 2 hours from Scott County where Amy called from. Whoever she called to come pick her up had a nice drive ahead of them.

https://www.thebeat951.com/2021/01/23/man-wanted-in-connection-to-homicide/

A man is wanted in connection to a homicide investigation in Newton County.

The Newton and Scott County Sheriff’s Departments are working to find James Harrison Jr., who is wanted in an ongoing homicide investigation.

The homicide took place Friday night. He was last seen on Tanglewood Road near the Newton/Scott County line.

If you have any information on his whereabouts you’re asked to call the Scott County or Newton County Sheriff’s Department.

Father missing, mother facing child neglect charges after toddler’s body found in Scott Co.

Scott County officials say Amy Harrison then got out of the vehicle around exit 100 and called a friend from Greenville, Mississippi to pick her up.

I live in AR just right across the river from Greenville MS. It is in Washington County and is well over 2 hours from Scott County where Amy called from. Whoever she called to come pick her up had a nice drive ahead of them.
Wow! Thanks for this. How tragic.

My gosh this poor little guy, what a nightmare this is ☹️ are LE thinking this missing man is not thinking clearly die to lack of his meds ??
Please Lord send this boy an angel tonight. He needs some comfort right now...MOO heartbreaking for these kids

My gosh this poor little guy, what a nightmare this is ☹️ are LE thinking this missing man is not thinking clearly die to lack of his meds ??
Please Lord send this boy an angel tonight. He needs some comfort right now...MOO heartbreaking for these kids
This is awful to write but I hope my fellow sleuthers will take my meaning - I HOPE what JH did by leaving those babies in the car (7 yrs old is still a baby in this scary world) it IS due to a medical condition and not an intended action.
My heart goes out to the rest of the extended family and especially this poor boy who tried his hardest to save his baby sister. My heart literally broke typing that. It’s been broken about a thousand times with these cases, but that thought hurts more than I can express.

He will carry that always, it is so heartbreaking. I hope he gets a safe stable place to grow up and work through this mess.We gottcha @Limecat. Profoundly sad for this brave little guy . Parents should protect you MOO hope the family can help him

This is awful to write but I hope my fellow sleuthers will take my meaning - I HOPE what JH did by leaving those babies in the car (7 yrs old is still a baby in this scary world) it IS due to a medical condition and not an intended action.
My heart goes out to the rest of the extended family and especially this poor boy who tried his hardest to save his baby sister. My heart literally broke typing that. It’s been broken about a thousand times with these cases, but that thought hurts more than I can express.

I understand what you’re saying. As awful as the outcome is, maybe the father leaving the children alone was due to not thinking clearly because of the medical problems he was dealing with.
But then, I think back to where the witness stated he never asked for any type of help, just that he was looking for his wife. So I feel he knew what was going on. I just know it’s horrific what the two children had to endure.

As for the mother...is her charges due to leaving her husband & kids to call for someone to pick her up? I feel there’s more to the story for them to charge her.

Then I wonder why the guy left the kids? Why not drive around to look for his wife?
And why didn’t he have shoes on? That’s weird to me as well.

It’s possible he also succumbed to the elements or even got a ride back to NC. IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back