GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

@Nancy Drew RN Thank you for explaining the autopsy results.

I do have a question. Do you think there's a possibility that the linear scar could've come from a surgical repair to the calf muscle? From, perhaps repetitive strain injury?

I do have a reason for asking. I went through his tattoos again, and found what I believe to be a man on horseback that has been covered up. Then, after having found it, it made sense to me that the "dragon" and the area around it are filled with a design that looks like rope.

Could this guy have worked as a cowboy, ranch hand, or on the rodeo circuit?
I had a way out there thought that this young man, may have been a gaucho from the Pampas in Argentina...
horseback.jpg

@Nancy Drew RN Thank you for explaining the autopsy results.

I do have a question. Do you think there's a possibility that the linear scar could've come from a surgical repair to the calf muscle? From, perhaps repetitive strain injury?

I do have a reason for asking. I went through his tattoos again, and found what I believe to be a man on horseback that has been covered up. Then, after having found it, it made sense to me that the "dragon" and the area around it are filled with a design that looks like rope.

Could this guy have worked as a cowboy, ranch hand, or on the rodeo circuit?
I had a way out there thought that this young man, may have been a gaucho from the Pampas in Argentina...
View attachment 281515

I'm an ICU nurse in a catastrophic care hospital, so I see trauma patients regularly. The scar they're describing is pretty consistent with an ORIF of the tibia (an image search of "ORIF tibia scar" will show you some examples), although obviously I can't be certain. In my experience, the person performing the autopsy may or may not be familiar with the full medical history of the patient--when I send patients to the medical examiner (generally the same one as this guy, coincidentally), the investigator will ask me questions over the phone related chiefly to injuries/conditions/disease processes that directly contributed to the patient's death, which an orthopedic injury to the leg would not be considered to be. This may be why the medical examiner did not offer an explanation of the scar (i.e. "scar consistent with known IMN of the tibia") or open up the leg. The autopsy report notes that medical records were not available, and that the limbs were not x-rayed due to the extent of his muscle contractures.

The death certificate sent with the patient to the medical examiner's office (today, at least) only contains the physician who pronounced the death's opinion of what caused the death, with up to four related causes, in order of how directly they contributed (1. respiratory failure related to 2. aspiration pneumonia related to 3. anoxic brain injury related to 4. accidental drug overdose, for example). The medical examiner can call the facility or the physician for more information if needed, but their primary goal is to identify a cause of death. He would have been sent to the ME because his injuries were the result of an accident, and secondarily because if it were a hit and run, there would be a potential for criminal charges for the driver if his death were determined to be caused by the accident (assuming it was an accident, but that's a matter for law enforcement, not the medical examiner).

The autopsy notes that he'd had a right craniectomy (removal of part of the right skull to allow for brain swelling), but apparently had never had a cranioplasty (replacement of the original bone flap or implant/mesh if not viable or too damaged). A good bit of his hair on at least that side would have had to be removed for this surgery. The 6" regrowth would be consistent with a year of growth after having his head shaved. They note short mustache hairs only--this person was clearly not turned/positioned properly, etc. (Grady is a notoriously understaffed hospital primarily caring indigent patients--they're a level one trauma center with an outstanding ED and ICUs, but out on the floor, it's rough, and I say that in full sympathy of the Sisyphean work of the staff). It would surprise me in this case if he were shaved with any kind of regularity, so he may well have had minimal facial hair prior to his injuries.

I wasn't familiar with the type of injury/repair you describe, but I did some research. It seems to commonly be referred to as tennis calf. I wish I treated more Argentinean gauchos, ha! So I can't speak to that.

Does anyone know if missing person, John Joseph Broderick, was ever suggested?

4898DMMD_LARGE.jpg

Doe Network Case:
4898DMMD
Name: John Joseph Broderick
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 16, 1987
Location Last Seen: Bethesda, Montgomery County, Maryland
Date of Birth: circa 1962
Race: White
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a scar over his right eye.
(But is actually noticeable in his photo as to the side of his eye, towards the temple.)
Could this be a part of "the well healed scar on the right side of UID's head, assumed to be from accident"?
Dentals
: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
Clothing: Slacks, shirt, and a jacket.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances: John Joseph Broderick had been depressed. He left a note for his father stating he was leaving and not coming back. Broderick left without taking any belongings other than the clothes he was wearing. He has never been heard from or seen since.

Agency Name: Montgomery County Dept. of Police
Agency Contact Person: Detective Brian Stafford
Agency Phone Number: 240-773-5086
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: B725448
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 17502

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
4898DMMD - John Joseph Broderick

Last edited:
Does anyone know if missing person, John Joseph Broderick, was ever suggested?

View attachment 281667

Doe Network Case:
4898DMMD
Name: John Joseph Broderick
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: March 16, 1987
Location Last Seen: Bethesda, Montgomery County, Maryland
Date of Birth: circa 1962
Race: White
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a scar over his right eye.
(But is actually noticeable in his photo as to the side of his eye, towards the temple.)
Could this be a part of "the well healed scar on the right side of UID's head, assumed to be from accident"?
Dentals
: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available
Clothing: Slacks, shirt, and a jacket.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances: John Joseph Broderick had been depressed. He left a note for his father stating he was leaving and not coming back. Broderick left without taking any belongings other than the clothes he was wearing. He has never been heard from or seen since.

Agency Name: Montgomery County Dept. of Police
Agency Contact Person: Detective Brian Stafford
Agency Phone Number: 240-773-5086
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: B725448
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 17502

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
4898DMMD - John Joseph Broderick

The autopsy report for this John Doe describes a 19 cm surgical incision, overlying his craniectomy defect. "Within the hair, a hooked-shaped, well-healed surgical scar measures up to 19 cm in length, and courses from near the midline on the upper right side of the head up over the top of the head and towards the right ear." This is a large scar/incision and completely consistent with his known craniectomy (see below for example).

1-s2.0-S1092440X04000076-gr1.sml

The autopsy report for this John Doe describes a 19 cm surgical incision, overlying his craniectomy defect. "Within the hair, a hooked-shaped, well-healed surgical scar measures up to 19 cm in length, and courses from near the midline on the upper right side of the head up over the top of the head and towards the right ear." This is a large scar/incision and completely consistent with his known craniectomy (see below for example).

1-s2.0-S1092440X04000076-gr1.sml

Thank you so much @Nancy Drew RN for explaining the scarring!

James Patrick Burrows Possibly? But he disappeared in August of 1990

Circumstances of Disappearance
Burrows was last seen in Anniston, Alabama in 1990. He was last seen driving a Honda 250 motorcycle on Alabama 21 near the Midway community going to visit a friend. More than a year later, Burrows' motorcycle was recovered in a bog about a half-mile from the friend's residence. He has never been heard from again.

Attachments

• F615104D-01B7-43EE-BF87-07A55D3C1DE5.jpeg
    F615104D-01B7-43EE-BF87-07A55D3C1DE5.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 16
  • 39F4BA5F-27DD-4C5C-9464-0FCC535A343E.jpeg
    39F4BA5F-27DD-4C5C-9464-0FCC535A343E.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
The UID's namus profile said that the tattoos looked like they were fairly new, so there's a possibility that he didn't have them when he went missing.

It's mind boggling that someone could be 6'2" and weigh 85 lbs. Were they not feeding him?

Right. So I don't know if you saw the picture of his face but his head was caved in. His brain literally ejected from his body. They just didn't feed him and let him die. He was completely brain dead missing a lot of his brain too. Zero chance of waking up. They let him pass.

I just want to point out this is an educated guess on my part. I think klit makes sense from his weight but also his caved in head.

I know this may be a long shot but has anyone looked into this one? The age is off but his last name is Vargo, he is a Virgo and the circumstances of his disappearance makes me think he may have just left willingly to start fresh. They do have a slight resemblance.

Brian Thomas Vargo – The Charley Project

I don't know if they've been compared, ruled out, etc. But I wouldn't mind some insight from you all.

Attachments

• vargo_brian.jpg
    vargo_brian.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 8
I have never reported a tip or anything so I am unsure how to do so. However I really do believe that this could be him. If anyone with more knowledge would like to submit this for me, even if it could be a longshot, I would be thankful. Or maybe someone could guide me in the right direction of who I can submit this to.

I really think so too. Some things are off but after disappearing for some time, things are bound to change. Especially if Vargo left willingly and was wanting to start new. The family is unsure but it seems possible to me. He did seem to like to travel, seeing he went to Colorado on a self guided tour. The age is a bit off from the estimated, but they never knew this Doe's actual age.

Searching for Brian Vargo

Found his Facebook missing page--it's run by a niece. Lots and lots of information there. The niece says he has family DNA and fingerprints available, and her own DNA is in GEDMatch.
So does that mean he's probably been cross checked with this Doe? I'm sorry, I'm not sure if he has DNA or fingerprints available. I mostly read about cases on here and this is one of the only ones I've really dove into over the years.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back