NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Iquilla Degree was probably the type that goes to bed fairly early and expected Asha and her brother to do the same, so I can see a window of opportunity if it was two to three hours later when the father got home.

sorry this is off topic, but Asha’s family always describe her as timid, and that she was scared of the dark, storms, dogs etc. but is it possible that now she was older, she had ‘outgrew’ those fears and her parents just hadn’t noticed?

sorry this is off topic, but Asha’s family always describe her as timid, and that she was scared of the dark, storms, dogs etc. but is it possible that now she was older, she had ‘outgrew’ those fears and her parents just hadn’t noticed?

Not off topic at all. I suppose Asha could have grown out of her fears and if not some bigger fear or desire enabled her to overcome them on that night.

Not off topic at all. I suppose Asha could have grown out of her fears and if not some bigger fear or desire enabled her to overcome them on that night.

This case is just so frustrating. It almost feels like there’s a missing piece to it. I go back and forth between the grooming theory (neighbour, janitor, older friends) or that Asha was running from something in the home.. I don’t want to point figures, but I really wonder if Asha life was as good as everyone says it was. I mean, there has to be something to make a 9 year leave in the middle of the night. In the home or elsewhere.

I fell onto this discussion when googling the case, some very insightful comments, and great thinking outside of the box, just throwing out my ideas for discussion.

I personally lean towards the possibility of grooming, with the sleepover the previous night being a key event resulting in her leaving that night.

could she have had contact during the sleepover with a unsavoury character? A family friend or other trusted member of the families wider circle?
It would have had to be someone she could converse with freely and without raising suspicion enough for anyone else to listen in. (to encourage and plan a meet the next night.)

I feel the fact that she was wearing a complete white outfit is key here, Was she told to wear all white so that she could be seen easily by the perp who was driving the route throughout the night to meet her? In which case I could imagine her not owning a white coat, hence it was left home.

Just an idea but the book and NKOTB T-shirt,
Could it be possible (I’m not sure on timelines etc,) the perp has a daughter who was a teenager when NKOTB were touring, and a younger child or grandchildren at Asha’s school. They gathered items from their home that would go unnoticed to gift to Asha at the meet without realising the book was a school library book that could possibly lead back to them? The items must have been found in her backpack as the reports stated like 98% of the items could be identified as belonging to Asha although these items take up a fair amount of room in a backpack to account for 2%?

I expect that she was groomed using money (that she showed off at school, meaning she herself was impressed by having it and it has been said the family was in a bad financial situation) and left the house that night on promises of a new life and better of financially (the things she packed remind me of what I would have packed for a trip or holiday at that age) With a new friend or sister (explaining the photo of the Unidentified girl)

I think she knew where she was going and was meeting someone that night, the chances of her running away and a opportunist predator coming across her within two hours are slim although anything seems possible with this sad case.

This case is just so frustrating. It almost feels like there’s a missing piece to it. I go back and forth between the grooming theory (neighbour, janitor, older friends) or that Asha was running from something in the home.. I don’t want to point figures, but I really wonder if Asha life was as good as everyone says it was. I mean, there has to be something to make a 9 year leave in the middle of the night. In the home or elsewhere.
She was definitely running. But from what or, to what/who? There’s usually a darn good reason for a child that age to leave the safety and security of their home. Add to that the season, it was winter in NC. At 9 years old, she was not likely aware of the upcoming rain but would have been aware of the cold. Unless, she had some form of disability, such as undisclosed autism.

Someone close to her knows something. It’s been almost 21 years, surely they feel safe coming forward now?

I fell onto this discussion when googling the case, some very insightful comments, and great thinking outside of the box, just throwing out my ideas for discussion.

I personally lean towards the possibility of grooming, with the sleepover the previous night being a key event resulting in her leaving that night.

could she have had contact during the sleepover with a unsavoury character? A family friend or other trusted member of the families wider circle?
It would have had to be someone she could converse with freely and without raising suspicion enough for anyone else to listen in. (to encourage and plan a meet the next night.)

I feel the fact that she was wearing a complete white outfit is key here, Was she told to wear all white so that she could be seen easily by the perp who was driving the route throughout the night to meet her? In which case I could imagine her not owning a white coat, hence it was left home.

Could it be possible (I’m not sure on timelines etc,) the perp has a daughter who was a teenager when NKOTB were touring, and a younger child or grandchildren at Asha’s school. They gathered items from their home that would go unnoticed to gift to Asha at the meet without realising the book was a school library book that could possibly lead back to them? The items must have been found in her backpack as the reports stated like 98% of the items could be identified as belonging to Asha although these items take up a fair amount of room in a backpack to account for 2%?

I expect that she was groomed using money (that she showed off at school, meaning she herself was impressed by having it and it has been said the family was in a bad financial situation) and left the house that night on promises of a new life and better of financially (the things she packed remind me of what I would have packed for a trip or holiday at that age) With a new friend or sister (explaining the photo of the Unidentified girl)

I think she knew where she was going and was meeting someone that night, the chances of her running away and a opportunist predator coming across her within two hours are slim although anything seems possible with this sad case.
Welcome to Ws ThinkRHS, great idea about the white outfit providing visibility at night!

If he talks, does he qualify for the reward?

"Local and federal money has remained in a pool for years, offering a $45,000 reward for information leading to a resolution in the case."
I was wondering the same thing ...

If he talks, does he qualify for the reward?

"Local and federal money has remained in a pool for years, offering a $45,000 reward for information leading to a resolution in the case."
Special treatment in jail may be worth more than a reward to Mellon, the felon at this point in time, imo. speculation, rbbm.
From kyrarose's link,
Inmate says he knows what happened to Asha Degree
Nov 16 2020 rbbm.
''Letter to the editor
Mellon, 53, was convicted of sex crimes against children in Cleveland County in 2014.

In his letter to The Star, Mellon says he has information and asked that it be passed along to the FBI.

Mellon asked investigators to come see him to find out what happened. Here is what he wrote:

''Asha Degree has been missing for over 20 years. About four months ago I had found out her whereabouts and what had happen to her. She was killed and then took and buried. I do know how and what town she is in. I hope you get this letter and do come see me. It’s on the up and up.''

''Whether or not Mellon actually has knowledge of what happened to Asha, Norman said all tips are investigated. The sheriff did note that sometimes inmates have ulterior motives such as bargaining for preferential treatment during incarceration''

Very well said

“We’ve done everything in our power to find our child and bring her home,” Iquilla Degree, Asha’s mother, told WBTV. “Even though she is 30 now, she is still our child, still the 9-year-old little girl that left.”

According to investigators, Degree reportedly left her bedroom, presumably in the middle of the night, with her bookbag.

Degree’s parents, who had their 33rd wedding anniversary Sunday, believe there are still clues out there.

“This is worse than death because, at least with death, you have closure,” Iquilla Degree said. “You can go to a gravesite, or if you have the urn at home, but for us, we can’t mourn, we can’t give up. The only thing we got is hope.”

The FBI told WBTV they continue to discuss and investigate Degree’s disappearance.

“We are definitely still actively investigating the case,” said Shelly Lynch, with FBI Charlotte. “We continue to have regular meetings with investigators from FBI, Cleveland County, and the SBI. We are actively investigating, following leads, generating new ones, conducting interviews, utilizing new advancements in technology that didn’t exist before.”
‘Only thing we got is hope’: Family still seeking clues on 21st anniversary Asha Degree went missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa