LA - Quawan Charles, 15, found deceased in field, left home with unk. woman, Loreauville 2 Nov 2020

Independent toxicology reports obtained by the family's attorneys showed small traces of marijuana and alcohol in Charles' system, refuting alleged claims that he was high on hallucinogens at the time of his death, the lawyers said in a statement released this week.

The toxicology report showed trace amounts of THC and ethanol, but no other chemicals, the attorneys said.

"This likely proves that Quawan’s death was not the result of an accident or gross negligence, but intentional," the statement said.

Charles left his father's home without permission on Oct. 30, his family has said. Surveillance video later released by authorities appeared to show Charles getting into the car with a friend and the friend’s mother that day.

The woman and her son said Charles had walked off later that day. Officers have said they questioned the two, but no arrests have been made. Authorities also have said video evidence obtained by investigators showed the teen walking alone in the area where his body was found.

Family attorneys say Charles could not have drowned in the field, where they water was only ankle deep, without "human intervention."

In December, "CBS This Morning" reported obtaining exclusive audio in which the woman who picked up Charles at his father's home reportedly expresses regret for not quickly reporting his disappearance from her home.

"Yes, I should have called the cops. I should have went further," the woman is heard saying, the network reported. "I get off of work at like noon, Friday. So, we go out to Baldwin. We pick him up," she reportedly says. Later, she acknowledges not contacting authorities for several days, "CBS This Morning" reported.

The recorded conversation was between a private investigator and the woman, the network said. In a separate interview, the woman's 17-year-son acknowledges smoking pot with Charles, according to CBS.

Attorneys for Charles' family also contend that the woman told investigators the teen had been taking hallucinogens, which may have been the reason he wandered away from her home.

"An arrest will not be made until all evidence has been gathered, including the toxicology," said Katherine Breaux, The Acadian Advocatereported. "We want this to be solved and turned over to the district attorney's office just as much as the family does."
Quawan 'Bobby' Charles Toxicology Report Sheds New Light on the Teen's Mysterious Death, Lawyers Say

Independent toxicology of Quawan 'Bobby' Charles suggests foul play, family attorneys say

"The NMS report showed that Charles had a blood alcohol content of 0.014%, which is well below the 0.08% limit Louisiana has set for adults to be considered legally intoxicated. It's also significantly lower than 0.05%, which is the blood alcohol content a typical 120-pound male would have after one alcoholic beverage.

The report also found that Charles had a low level of THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana, of 4.7 nanograms per milliliter of blood. While adults with any amount of THC in their blood can face legal consequences in Louisiana, the limit for driving in Colorado, where marijuana use is legal, is 5 nanograms per milliliter. "

The woman and her son said Charles had walked off later that day. Officers have said they questioned the two, but no arrests have been made. Authorities also have said video evidence obtained by investigators showed the teen walking alone in the area where his body was found.

I wish we knew more of this video evidence the investigators have. Was he truly alone, or did someone catch up with him off camera? There's a reason Quawan left that house. Why would two friends sneaking sips and sharing a joint end their encounter in one leaving abruptly on foot? Argument over a love interest? Someone threaten him inside the house?

The reason may have been as simple as an impaired teen realizing that he needed to get back to his dads pronto, and didn't know how to get back without "getting in trouble".
But that doesn't explain the drowning in inches of water, with no other signs of trauma to his body. I'm at a loss.

One more thing I've been thinking about. Could Quawan been bitten by a snake, not always easy to detect, particularly in the state his body was found?

Autopsy may not shed light on snake bite mystery

"Toxicology results for a Scotsman found dead after picking up a box of venomous snakes are expected in six weeks, Little Rock police said.

But the results won't show whether Garrick Wales, 48, was bitten by one of the four snakes, which were found at an intersection near downtown the day after Wales' body was discovered.

"It could show a heart attack or drugs in the system, but not necessarily show a snake bite," said police spokesman Sgt. Terry Hastings. "Snake venom (contains) enzymes, and enzymes are absorbed by the body."

One more thing I've been thinking about. Could Quawan been bitten by a snake, not always easy to detect, particularly in the state his body was found?

"Toxicology results for a Scotsman found dead after picking up a box of venomous snakes are expected in six weeks, Little Rock police said.

But the results won't show whether Garrick Wales, 48, was bitten by one of the four snakes, which were found at an intersection near downtown the day after Wales' body was discovered.

"It could show a heart attack or drugs in the system, but not necessarily show a snake bite," said police spokesman Sgt. Terry Hastings. "Snake venom (contains) enzymes, and enzymes are absorbed by the body."
thats a good theory! if there really is no signs of foul play (im not discounting that someone could have held his face underwater and not left a trace), then unexplained medical event (i.e. seizure) or accident (fall w loss of consciousness or snake bite) leading to drowning in that little puddle is my next best guess. i really feel for his family, not knowing is the worst part.

Independent toxicology of Quawan 'Bobby' Charles suggests foul play, family attorneys say

"The NMS report showed that Charles had a blood alcohol content of 0.014%, which is well below the 0.08% limit Louisiana has set for adults to be considered legally intoxicated. It's also significantly lower than 0.05%, which is the blood alcohol content a typical 120-pound male would have after one alcoholic beverage.

The report also found that Charles had a low level of THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana, of 4.7 nanograms per milliliter of blood. While adults with any amount of THC in their blood can face legal consequences in Louisiana, the limit for driving in Colorado, where marijuana use is legal, is 5 nanograms per milliliter. "
Whoops I see someone posted it now sorry

Off-topib,but is there a WS thread for the mysterious death referenced in the above-linked article? There should be as it sounds verrrrry sketchy to me.

Hey I just posted a link to the toxicology report or at least an article about it.
Thank you and welcome! It looks like alcohol may have played a role somehow. THC can remain in the system for 30 days so there is probably no way to know if he was under the influence at the time of his death, but marijuana and alcohol can be a bad combinatuon. It's still a mystery how he ended up drowning in a few inches of water.

One person arrested in Quawan Charles case

According to officials Janet Irvin, 37, has been booked into the Lafayette Parish jail on Tuesday, Feb. 9. She was booked with contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile and giving false reports about a missing child, records show.

Irvin is currently being held in jail without bond.
Finally some justice for this family. Looks like she could get up to a year and a half in prison. I hope she tells investigators everything she knows.

Janet Irvin was booked yesterday with contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile and failure to report a missing child. Today she appeared via Zoom before Judge Lewis L. Pitman, who went over the charges against her and set a bond of $300,000 for the failure to report charge and $100,000 for the contributing charge.

If Irvin posts her $400,000 bond and is released, she will be given an arraignment date, a clerk spokeswoman said.
https://www.katc.com/news/iberia-parish/bond-set-for-woman-arrested-in-quawan-charles-case

The Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office has been investigating Charles’ death as a homicide for the past three months. Irvin’s charges marked the first arrest made in relation to the case.

It’s a key shoe to fall in the Charles family’s push for answers. Loved ones have been on quest to find out what happened to the 15-year-old Black teen since he was found lying face down in a sugar cane field ditch on Nov. 3. They applauded Irvin’s arrest but cautioned that they expect more arrests to follow.

“Although Janet Irvin has been arrested, we are far from close to the finish line,” Quawan’s cousin Celina Charles told Atlanta Black Star in a text message Wednesday. “There is still more work to do. I will be Quawan and my family’s anchor and voice until everyone that has played a role in my cousin’s murder is arrested and convicted!”

Charles’ family members celebrated the arrest Tuesday night with Stand Black, a local advocacy group that has worked with them since Quawan’s death.

“Today is a starting point, but this is a marathon and not a sprint. Now we must mobilize to change laws that protect against these sorts of atrocities,” Stand Black co-founder Jamal Taylor told KLFY 10, a CBS affiliate. “We must pass legislation that protects children, and laws that reform police accountability.”

Family members suspect foul play factored in Quawan’s death, and claim it may have been racially motivated. They also insist law enforcement didn’t treat his disappearance with enough urgency from the onset.

For the past five weeks, supporters have staged protests and pressured the Sheriff’s Office to file charges against Irvin. Ronald Haley, one of the family’s attorneys, called it the “first domino” and suggested it could loosen more information from Irvin’s circle of family and friends.

Celina Charles has clamored for accountability in her cousin’s death for months. She spoke out publicly calling for Irvin’s arrest.

“If it would have been a Black woman that went and picked up a white child, you know that they would be arrested already,” she said in an interview with Atlanta Black Star last month. “This lady needs to be incarcerated. This lady needs to be arrested, she needs to be all charged and she needs to be convicted.”

https://twitter.com/trichellfirm/status/1359305071146713090

'This Is a Starting Point': Janet Irvin Faces Charges In Disappearance of Black Louisiana Teen Quawan Charles as Official Autopsy Results Emerge

The medical examiner suggested that he might have drowned himself during a psychotic episode possibly provoked by marijuana.

But the teen’s family has commissioned an independent autopsy, questioning why he had injuries to his face.

“It is well understood that the accidental drowning of an able-bodied person in ankle-deep water is nearly impossible,” four attorneys for the family said.

In their statement about Irvin’s arrest, the attorneys noted that she was arrested after sheriffs deputies met with their private investigator.

“We are thankful that the fruits of this meeting led to an arrest of Ms. Irvin, but this is only the first step in a long march towards justice for Quawan,” they said.
https://nypost.com/2021/02/10/louisiana-woman-arrested-after-teen-found-dead-in-sugar-cane-field/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back