TN - David Vowell, 70, (found deceased), shot and killed two duck hunters, Obion Co., Jan 2021

if you are hinting that the survivor is the killer...then where is the old man?
..he brought help .. its not like he was the killer and he killed 3 and then he hid a body and made up a story .
I don't think anyone is saying Crabtree is the killer. We are saying the scenario could not have gone down as he is saying. I am not taking away from the fact 2 men are dead and most likely Volwell shot them but it did not happen as he claims. JMO.

It seems others in the community are skeptical of the story also and want to hear Volwell's side of the story.
Tennessee officials continue search for 70-year-old Reelfoot Lake double homicide suspect
I have read sources which state that Volwell was not known for engaging in "build up" behavior such as previous confrontations with others or "claiming" portions of the lake etc.

Rather, they described him as repeatedly taking kids to the lake to introduce them to hunting, fishing and the responsibilities that come with it.

This does not mean that Volwell could not have snapped. Nor does it mean that Volwell cant have two sides to his personality. Rather, it just means, as you stated, that some of the claims made by the survivor might need extra verification.

It seems others in the community are skeptical of the story also and want to hear Volwell's side of the story.
Tennessee officials continue search for 70-year-old Reelfoot Lake double homicide suspect

This puts Crabtree back in the blind and Vowell asking to hunt there. Crabtree’s actions could have been from desperation, Re; your other post, but there are questions.

@Cryptic , your post takes me straight back to possible dementia. With him being as those sources describe, with him having no legal record at all, supposedly witness acts of him telling people that he was having problems. I also don’t think he is in those woods alive.

This puts Crabtree back in the blind and Vowell asking to hunt there. Crabtree’s actions could have been from desperation, Re; your other post, but there are questions.

@Cryptic , your post takes me straight back to possible dementia. With him being as those sources describe, with him having no legal record at all, supposedly witness acts of him telling people that he was having problems. I also don’t think he is in those woods alive.
I want to know why LE keeps insisting with the rising waters that Volwell is not in the water? He very well could be, there are currents and he could be stuck under debris. If Volwell was knocked in the head with rifle butt he may have been unconscious and drowned.
The story of him standing there in knee deep water after getting knocked out of the boat does not make sense.

I want to know why LE keeps insisting with the rising waters that Volwell is not in the water? He very well could be, there are currents and he could be stuck under debris. If Volwell was knocked in the head with rifle butt he may have been unconscious and drowned.
The story of him standing there in knee deep water after getting knocked out of the boat does not make sense.

I’d like to think they checked the lake out but who knows. I don’t believe they drag water bottoms anymore, or didn’t some 10 years ago, but they may have a scanner of some sort. This is a very hard to find 70 year old man, that’s for sure.

This is all too convenient for Crabtree. The 70 year man had no priors and was said to be a very calm and caring guy. To have it reported that he just shot the two guys doesn't add up. Yes, I have read about the changes at the lake regarding the blinds and how some old timers aren't very happy with the changes. Still, the varying "eyewitness" accounts vary so much. Will need to dig deeper.

Last edited:
This is all too convenient for Crabtree. The 70 year man had no priors and was said to be a very calm and caring guy. To have it reported that he just shot the two guys doesn't add up. Yes, I have read about the changes at the lake regarding the blinds and how some old timers aren't very happy with the changes. Still, the variou "eyewitness accounts vary so much. Will need to dig deeper.
So, what does add up to you? Does Crabtree have a record? How many other 'eye witnesses' are there? I thought that Crabtree was the only eye witness.

This is all too convenient for Crabtree. The 70 year man had no priors and was said to be a very calm and caring guy. To have it reported that he just shot the two guys doesn't add up. Yes, I have read about the changes at the lake regarding the blinds and how some old timers aren't very happy with the changes. Still, the variou "eyewitness accounts vary so much. Will need to dig deeper.
Welcome CuriousAce!
Just to let you know that Websleuths needs links for info posted. Only info from MSM and LE are allowed, nothing from social media. It helps avoid rumors becoming fact.

I just read on msn fox43 that they are confirming it’s the man who they said wasn’t in the lake earlier.It said he was in the area “where he shot two people earlier”. I’m sure this is no surprise to anybody who’s following the case.

I just read on msn fox43 that they are confirming it’s the man who they said wasn’t in the lake earlier.It said he was in the area “where he shot two people earlier”. I’m sure this is no surprise to anybody who’s following the case.
In the water for 5 days, hope they are able to get a COD. I wonder if LE kept speculating that he was not in the rising waters to keep people from searching for him on their own and LE was not able because of bad conditions. JMO.

In the water for 5 days, hope they are able to get a COD. I wonder if LE kept speculating that he was not in the rising waters to keep people from searching for him on their own and LE was not able because of bad conditions. JMO.

I used to dive for a rescue unit and they (LE) would always post somebody to prevent that when we had to suspend a search for any reason like that. I don’t know why they would say he wasn’t there.

I used to dive for a rescue unit and they (LE) would always post somebody to prevent that when we had to suspend a search for any reason like that. I don’t know why they would say he wasn’t there.
What a great thing to do Worm, very dangerous and rewarding. I have a high respect for first responders and rescue teams, Bless you!

What a great thing to do Worm, very dangerous and rewarding. I have a high respect for first responders and rescue teams, Bless you!

Thanks, I’m too old with health problems to do it now. I felt for those divers in TN when I seen that water. We used to call that tomato soup diving. They just close their eyes and feel the way thru following a rope. I’m glad they came out safe of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back