GUILTY WV - Alexa Randolph, adult, Morgantown, 28 January 2021 *arrest*

A note to new members,

Welcome to Websleuths! If you know the victim or family member, we ask you to become a verified Insider for this case, which allows you to post information without reference links. (see below). Here is the process to become verified:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Otherwise, when a post contains information stated as fact, Websleuths Terms of Service state that it must be supported by a link to a mainstream media or law enforcement source (or other WS approved source) to substantiate the fact, otherwise the post will be removed, along with all responses to it. If the information is your opinion only, please make that clear. Many people will label posts In My Opinion Only (MOO) or In My Opinion (IMO) as shortcuts.

Thanks for joining Websleuths!

Last edited:
UPDATE: Detectives following leads in Alexa Randolph murder | 104.5 FM & 1440 AM | The Voice of Morgantown | Morgantown, WV

Investigators have received several calls and are sifting through evidence, but are tight lipped about suspects or leads.

“Digital evidence, electronic evidence to determine where she may have been, where she came from and who else could be involved,” Lt Tennant said.

According to Sheriff Perry Palmer, the investigation is active and any information can be left confidentially by calling 304-291-7218.

“As of this time, her vehicle has been taken to the State Police Crime Lab as well as some other evidence,” Palmer said,” An autopsy was performed on Monday and out detectives were present for that.”

“I will say we have multiple leads which has certainly taken us in a particular direction,” Lt. Tennant said,” I won’t identify a suspect or suspects at this point, but I will say that evidence and leads have pointed us in a certain direction.”

FEB 5, 2021
Medical examiner rules Morgantown woman's death a homicide - Dominion Post
On Monday, Monongalia County Sheriff’s detectives were present for Alexa Randolph’s autopsy, performed at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Charleston. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, and the official report listing the manner of death is pending.

[...]

... Detectives have also received assistance from the Granville Police Department.

FEB 5, 2021
Medical examiner rules Morgantown woman's death a homicide - Dominion Post
On Monday, Monongalia County Sheriff’s detectives were present for Alexa Randolph’s autopsy, performed at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Charleston. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, and the official report listing the manner of death is pending.

[...]

... Detectives have also received assistance from the Granville Police Department.
Thanks Pommy! I can’t wait for an arrest, this is so senseless. Another young mother murdered. Makes me sick.

UPDATE: Detectives following leads in Alexa Randolph murder | 104.5 FM & 1440 AM | The Voice of Morgantown | Morgantown, WV

Investigators have received several calls and are sifting through evidence, but are tight lipped about suspects or leads.

“Digital evidence, electronic evidence to determine where she may have been, where she came from and who else could be involved,” Lt Tennant said.

According to Sheriff Perry Palmer, the investigation is active and any information can be left confidentially by calling 304-291-7218.

“As of this time, her vehicle has been taken to the State Police Crime Lab as well as some other evidence,” Palmer said,” An autopsy was performed on Monday and out detectives were present for that.”

“I will say we have multiple leads which has certainly taken us in a particular direction,” Lt. Tennant said,” I won’t identify a suspect or suspects at this point, but I will say that evidence and leads have pointed us in a certain direction.”
I am quite shocked that an autopsy was performed so quickly. AFAIK, WV’s ME is behind by months. It’s been behind going on a few years now. mOO.

FEB 6, 2021
Alexa Randolph - Dominion Post
Alexa Marie Randolph, 32, passed unexpectedly Jan. 29, 2021.

She was born July 14, 1988, in Morgantown ...

[...]

Alexa, a local graduate of Albert-Gallatin High School, attended West Virginia University and was a sales account manager for a national industrial supply company. An extremely devoted mother, beloved girlfriend and deeply cherished friend, she spent countless hours playing with her son, ... enjoyed exercise and hitting the gym, was an accomplished gymnast, loved her family and was a breath of fresh air to all blessed by her presence.

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic protocols and circumstances surrounding her passing, Alexa’s family has chosen to delay any formal gatherings at this time and will plan a celebration of her life at a later and more appropriate date. Please reach out to Goldsboro-Fabry Funeral Home Inc. regarding your interest in being contacted regarding the future details of the celebration of life.

[...]

Note: There is a photo at this link but I am not bringing it here due to WS rules regarding minors.

Smith is the paternal grandfather of Randolph’s child; Smith has been arraigned before Monongalia County Magistrate Ron Bane and taken to North Central Regional Jail where he awaits a preliminary hearing, according to the release.

Randolph was reported missing to Morgantown Police on January 28, and her body was found inside the trunk of her own vehicle at the Walmart parking lot on Hornbeck Road the following day. Randolph’s death was later ruled a homicide following her autopsy.

Those with information into the incident or who may have witnessed Smith walking on Grafton Road on Jan. 28 are asked to call the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Department at 304-291-7218; an investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
Paternal grandfather of Alexa Randolph’s child charged with first-degree murder in connection to her death | WBOY.com

Randolph was reported missing on Jan 28, and police say her vehicle was found one day later in the parking lot of a Walmart in Morgantown. Law enforcement found her body inside the cargo area of the vehicle.

On Wednesday, the Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office said Gary Donald Smith II was arrested and charged. Police say he is the paternal grandfather of Randolph’s child. He was arraigned and taken to the North Central Regional Jail, where he awaits his preliminary hearing.

“The investigation has shown that the victim’s vehicle was dropped off at the Walmart located at 75 Retail Circle at approximately 8:52 PM and the suspect left on foot,” a Facebook post from the sheriff’s office said.
Man Charged With Murder In Death Of Fayette Co. Native Alexa Randolph

FEB 10, 2021
Monongalia County, West Virginia, Sheriff's Detectives make arrest in homicide investigation
[...]

According to a criminal complaint filed in the Magistrate Court of Monongalia County, Randolph’s last known location was in the area of 171 Arkwright Ave., which is where Smith was staying with her son.

“During this investigation, detectives located what is believed to be the corresponding crime scene in the garage area of Gary Donald Smith’s II residence,” the report said. “Gary Donald Smith II has made several unsolicited statements implicating himself in Alexa Randolph’s death, and also provided intimate information of the crime, that has since been corroborated.”

[...]

I am quite shocked that an autopsy was performed so quickly. AFAIK, WV’s ME is behind by months. It’s been behind going on a few years now. mOO.
West Virginia has more than one medical examiner. Some areas are presumably more backed up than others.

Very odd...
Just my own speculation/questions, but could there be a potential custody issue?

Also, do people not realize that there are cameras at these places?
A custody issue seems very likely to me. I'm sure grand-dad is going to strongly deny dad had any knowledge of the crime and was willing to sacrifice his freedom to, in his mind, assure that the child or children end up with his son.

FEB 11, 2021
Arrest made in connection with Fayette Co. mother found dead in trunk outside Walmart in Morgantown (wpxi.com)
[...]

YSPATPTXS5EANONJBWW6DAY2KM.jpg

Smith is accused in the murder ... (WV North Central Regional Jail/WV Regional Jails)

Police said the store parking lot was about 10 minutes away from where Randolph lived.

[...]

It’s not clear yet exactly how she died.

FEB 10, 2021
Man charged with murder in the death of woman whose body found in Morgantown | WCHS (wchstv.com)
She had been reported missing after she was last seen Jan. 28 at her apartment on Overdale Street.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back