Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

This has probably been speculated already but I wonder if the WSR and numbers were written to reference the street address of a midwifery or OBGYN where Beth was getting prenatal checkups. Wasn't the COD due to strangulation? Just complete speculation, but I could picture her grabbing a pen from her purse or a desk, writing the address information, and her killer strangles her from behind.

It is strange that despite the great lengths the killer(s) went to in order to hinder identification, her hands were intact and contained a potential clue...to something. I hadn’t really looked at it that way until someone mentioned it recently. It must have been written in her final moments of life.

If I'm not mistaken, the ink was written 8 to 12 hours prior.
She was strangled, shot once in the neck, and sexually assaulted.
Yeah, Its weird that Namus has her PMI as being 7 days. The ink would not have lasted for 7 days. I thought about why they have it as 7 days and the doe network and others have it as less than 24 hours. Then I came to a gruesome realization. The second sketch of her was probably done in or around December 27th, 1976. It would have been over 1 week since her discovery and it could have been misreported she was dead for 1 week before being found when in fact it was one week after her discovery. That would explain why in one sketch she has a slim face and thin lips and in the second she looks like a puffer fish, despite only being 140-150 pounds.

I wonder if one pic was a description of how she might look before pregnancy and the other one was to show how she might of looked while pregnant...added weight.

I have seen the postmortem photo multiple times and there is no way her lips were that big. I will say on a lighter note if anyone viewing this is gonna use a picture of what she might have looked like while alive I recommend The ones by Carl Koppelman. It is the best and most respectful ones in my opinion. Carl has done a lot for this community and is a great artist.

How do we know what was written on her hand was actually written by her? For all we know, her killer was responsible for writing the letters and numbers. It could have been an attempt to throw off investigators to make them think it holds some sort of significance as to her identity.

upload_2021-2-1_15-39-55.png

Top row:
1st pic - original sketch done by PSP artist shortly after Beth Doe was found. Published in newspapers 12/29-30/1976. Anecdotal info says a prosthetic nose was used to assist the artist in completing the sketch.

2nd & 3rd pics - NCMEC recons. Unsure when it was done but sometime between 1984 (when NCMEC was established) AND 2001 (I have notes from 2001 referring to her case on NCMEC).

2nd row:
1st pic: by renown forensic artist Frank Bender who, sadly, passed away in 2011. Sketch done in 2007 when Beth & Baby were exhumed.

2nd & 3rd pics - NCMEC updated recons, May 2015.

3rd row:
Both by Carl Koppelman, 2015 & 2017 respectively.

Ok I've made a small summary of some of our interpretations of the writing on Beth's hand and some other thoughts I have.

1.) Meaning of the writing on Beth's hand:
  • her initials + birth year
  • her killer's initials + birth year (if she knows her killer well)
  • directions/roads
  • Names and floors of hotels, apartments, buildings, etc.
  • It was mentioned the 4/7 was towards the lower right of the 4/5, which could mean it was written in a hurry by Beth so it was 'crooked' (writing neatly on your hand is pretty difficult)
  • It was written within 8-12 h
  • Maybe written by killer as a red herring?

2.) Assuming Beth wrote it on her own hand, this would suggest she died within 8-12 hours (instead of the PMI of 7 days).
  • So the longest travel time her killer took to dump her body would be 8-12 hours (from White Haven)
  • The furthest southwest of White Haven you could go includes Tennessee
  • The furthest northeast of White Haven you could go includes Maine
  • It is likely that her killer was travelling westbound on the I80 before Beth was dumped, but they could have simply entered the I80 from PA-534 (so from the previous exit, Exit 254), so they could have really been coming in any direction
3.) I'm not sure about this, but could the newspaper also be important?
  • It was the New York Sunday News, so was it only available locally in NY state? If so, the killer (and maybe Beth) could have been living in NY 3 months before Beth's death
  • Why would the killer keep/use old newspapers? Here it's clear that the newspaper was used as packing material, so could they have accumulated old newspapers since they were at least already planning to kill Beth since September?

Just my opinions and speculations, but these were some of the things that have popped up in my head recently.

Keeping newspapers was something my grandparents did. They used to roll up a chunk to start the fire in the fireplace. Maybe it was routine to save them and then they became useful for murder rather than whatever their intended purpose was.

‘Beth Doe’

The dismembered body parts of an unidentified female victim were found in East Side Borough near the Lehigh River in December 1976. Someone brutally murdered her and abused her corpse.

She was found within days of her death, and she was between 15-25 years old when she died.

“Someone out there knows who she is,” said Trooper Brian Noll of Pennsylvania State Police. “And there is always hope that someone will come forward with information.”...

... On Dec. 20, 1976, a 14-year-old boy discovered a human head in East Side Borough, near the Lehigh River. Police then found three suitcases nearby, containing the victim’s body. The suitcases were found directly below the bridge carrying westbound Interstate 80 over the Lehigh River. They believe the suitcases were thrown from the bridge down to the location where they were found.

“This would be an unusual case for any area based on the ghastly nature of the murder,” Noll said. “The area where she was found is very rural and quiet and there have not been any cases that are believed to be related in the area.”

According to NCMEC, two of the suitcases were blue with a red white and blue stripe, and one was blue tartan with brown leather sides. A pink bedspread was also found in the suitcases.

Police said “Beth Doe” stood between 4-foot-11 and 5-foot-4, weighed 140-150 pounds and had brown hair.

At the time of her death, she was in the third trimester of her pregnancy, carrying a baby girl.

Police said she also suffered from extensive tooth decay.

In 2015, the NCMEC created composite images of what the victim’s face might have looked like based on information collected in 1976 and follow-up inquiries.

“We are asking the public if they have any knowledge of the possible identity of Beth Doe or any information that may help lead to her identification or a possible suspect to contact the Pennsylvania State Police,” says Noll.

Anyone with information is asked to call state police at 570-220-8475, or National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).

LINKS:

Tip submitted about ‘Beth Doe’ found in Carbon | Times News Online

Beth Doe Of Pennsylvania: The Dismembered Body Of An Unidentified Pregnant Woman Was Found Underneath An Overpass - The Criminal Journal

Last edited:

Thanks. I deleted the portion of the article about Maggie. My intent was to update the thread with some composite drawings of "Beth Doe" that I had seen in my second link. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to copy, from that site, and so searched elsewhere, finding them in the first linked article.

It has been over 44 years since Beth's body and that of her unborn daughter were found and over 16 years since I first posted her story here on Websleuths, yet she remains unidentified. Hopefully some day, she will be identified.

Last edited:
Thanks. I deleted the portion of the article about Maggie. My intent was to update the thread with some composite drawings of "Beth Doe" that I had seen in my second link. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to copy, from that site, and so searched elsewhere, finding them in the first linked article.

Scroll up to post # 334 - I posted a pic of all of the recons from oldest to newest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back